Jump to topic:

The role of women in modern society

cmnehrboss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:20:23 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I am a sixteen year old girl who has had the privilege of education in a society where all options are open to her. In America and around the world, women today have been granted a wider collection of opportunities than ever before. Throughout history, only in select societies were women considered equal to the opposite sex, but today the equality of men and women is deemed extremely important. However, the world has gone even further to mold the two sexes into what Alexander De Tocqueville describes in his "Democracy in America" as "alike".
Yesterday, I watched the 2016 Google Doodle for International Women's Day and noticed something I found incredibly disturbing. Women were promoted as intelligent professionals such as researchers, scientists, and archaeologists. While this is an entirely accurate portrayal of woman today, only one was shown in the role of motherhood. Considering this, I wonder if this is the idea we mean to develop in the minds of our young girls.
While the value of equality need not be discussed, I wonder if we ought to espouse the idea that discovering fossils is just as important as shaping the minds of the next generation, for in the end it is the mothers of this century that will form the world to come. As my mother always said, "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world."
When we depict the two sexes as "alike", pulling the women from the hearth and center of the home, do we take them from the center of our society as well and thus degrade our future?
cmnehrboss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:20:54 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Could you expound on that? As I believe that the mother forms the minds of the children and it will be these youth who go on to form the future, I don't see how you could assert that mothers, therefore, do not help to shape the next generation and thus the world of tomorrow.
Unless you disagree with the premise that mothers mold the minds of our youth, which I considered doubtful.