Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Histrionic Personality Disorder.

Rosalie
Posts: 4,612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 8:41:09 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
First off, what is "Histrionic Personality Disorder"?

" Histrionic personality disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of attention seeking behavior and extreme emotionality. Someone with histrionic personality disorder wants to be the center of attention in any group of people.. While often lively, interesting and sometimes dramatic, they have difficulty when people aren't focused exclusively on them." (http://psychcentral.com...)

The main reason why I created this post is because I've dealt with many people as of lately whom portray this definition. Their behavior is never just a *one time thing* it's a constant war, and no matter how many times I forgive that person for their childish hurtful behavior, they continue their behavior the next week. Histrionic people are also known to be overly dramatic.

What are the symptoms?--
"In many cases, people with histrionic personality disorder have good social skills; however, they tend to use these skills to manipulate others so that they can be the center of attention."

-Be uncomfortable unless he or she is the center of attention
-Act very dramatically, as though performing before an audience, with exaggerated emotions and expressions, yet appears to lack sincerity
-Have difficulty maintaining relationships, often seeming fake or shallow in their dealings with others


These are just a few symptoms.

How can this disorder be treated?

"In general, people with histrionic personality disorder do not believe they need therapy. They also tend to exaggerate their feelings and to dislike routine, which makes following a treatment plan difficult."

How do you deal with people like this?

I want to be their friend, but it's hard to when all they do is manipulate you, and others around them.

Do you think this is a very serious mental disorder that could eventually cause harm?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 9:05:02 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 8:41:09 PM, Rosalie wrote:
I know somebody like this. I don't know if they actually have histrionic personality disorder though. A lot of people really dislike them though because this trait can be annoying and irritating to some people. I never actually thought it could be due to a personality disorder until I read this though.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Rosalie
Posts: 4,612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 9:06:37 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 9:05:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/9/2016 8:41:09 PM, Rosalie wrote:
I know somebody like this. I don't know if they actually have histrionic personality disorder though. A lot of people really dislike them though because this trait can be annoying and irritating to some people. I never actually thought it could be due to a personality disorder until I read this though.

I think it's pretty common, though there are some people worse than others. The issue is, if you try and confront them about it, they will have a huge dramatic outburst, and someone would think you're trying to kill them, lol.

It's sad though, they definitely need help, or they will end up living a sad, lonely life.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 9:08:59 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 9:06:37 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 3/9/2016 9:05:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/9/2016 8:41:09 PM, Rosalie wrote:
I know somebody like this. I don't know if they actually have histrionic personality disorder though. A lot of people really dislike them though because this trait can be annoying and irritating to some people. I never actually thought it could be due to a personality disorder until I read this though.

I think it's pretty common, though there are some people worse than others. The issue is, if you try and confront them about it, they will have a huge dramatic outburst, and someone would think you're trying to kill them, lol.

Yeah, I know what you mean. They overreact a lot even about the smallest of scenarios.

It's sad though, they definitely need help, or they will end up living a sad, lonely life.

Yes confrontation in these scenarios is hard which ultimately makes it more difficult for people to get the help that they need.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 1:52:15 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 8:41:09 PM, Rosalie wrote:
First off, what is "Histrionic Personality Disorder"?

" Histrionic personality disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of attention seeking behavior and extreme emotionality. Someone with histrionic personality disorder wants to be the center of attention in any group of people.. While often lively, interesting and sometimes dramatic, they have difficulty when people aren't focused exclusively on them." (http://psychcentral.com...)

The main reason why I created this post is because I've dealt with many people as of lately whom portray this definition. Their behavior is never just a *one time thing* it's a constant war, and no matter how many times I forgive that person for their childish hurtful behavior, they continue their behavior the next week. Histrionic people are also known to be overly dramatic.

What are the symptoms?--
"In many cases, people with histrionic personality disorder have good social skills; however, they tend to use these skills to manipulate others so that they can be the center of attention."

-Be uncomfortable unless he or she is the center of attention
-Act very dramatically, as though performing before an audience, with exaggerated emotions and expressions, yet appears to lack sincerity
-Have difficulty maintaining relationships, often seeming fake or shallow in their dealings with others


These are just a few symptoms.

How can this disorder be treated?

"In general, people with histrionic personality disorder do not believe they need therapy. They also tend to exaggerate their feelings and to dislike routine, which makes following a treatment plan difficult."

How do you deal with people like this?

I want to be their friend, but it's hard to when all they do is manipulate you, and others around them.

Do you think this is a very serious mental disorder that could eventually cause harm?

Sounds a lot like most SJWs I know.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 2:55:26 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 8:41:09 PM, Rosalie wrote:

How do you deal with people like this?

Interacting with individuals with HPD sounds very frustrating, if they are symptomatic. I'm not sure I've ever known someone with the diagnosis, but given its prevalence in the US, I would suspect I have at some point. I'd imagine doing so on a regular basis would be exhausting and strain relationships.

Do you think this is a very serious mental disorder that could eventually cause harm?

Generally, personality disorders are long-lived and unlikely to change without targeted intervention. Also, from what I understand, HPD usually presents alongside antisocial personality disorder, which further impairs relationships. These things all fall along a spectrum, so HPD and/or APD may or may not cause emotional and psychological harm to an individual and his or her loved ones, depending on its severity.

If you suspect someone you know has HPD, I would familiarize myself with the symptomatology (as you appear to have done). Then, depending on the extent of your relationship with them, you could consider either speaking with them about your concerns, taking their condition into consideration during your interactions with them, or limit your interactions to an extent that is comfortable for everyone.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 1:57:29 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/10/2016 1:52:15 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 3/9/2016 8:41:09 PM, Rosalie wrote:
First off, what is "Histrionic Personality Disorder"?

" Histrionic personality disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of attention seeking behavior and extreme emotionality. Someone with histrionic personality disorder wants to be the center of attention in any group of people.. While often lively, interesting and sometimes dramatic, they have difficulty when people aren't focused exclusively on them." (http://psychcentral.com...)

The main reason why I created this post is because I've dealt with many people as of lately whom portray this definition. Their behavior is never just a *one time thing* it's a constant war, and no matter how many times I forgive that person for their childish hurtful behavior, they continue their behavior the next week. Histrionic people are also known to be overly dramatic.

What are the symptoms?--
"In many cases, people with histrionic personality disorder have good social skills; however, they tend to use these skills to manipulate others so that they can be the center of attention."

-Be uncomfortable unless he or she is the center of attention
-Act very dramatically, as though performing before an audience, with exaggerated emotions and expressions, yet appears to lack sincerity
-Have difficulty maintaining relationships, often seeming fake or shallow in their dealings with others


These are just a few symptoms.

How can this disorder be treated?

"In general, people with histrionic personality disorder do not believe they need therapy. They also tend to exaggerate their feelings and to dislike routine, which makes following a treatment plan difficult."

How do you deal with people like this?

I want to be their friend, but it's hard to when all they do is manipulate you, and others around them.

Do you think this is a very serious mental disorder that could eventually cause harm?


Sounds a lot like most SJWs I know.

True enough....

It's amazing how SJW politics and mental illness walk hand in hand...
Tsar of DDO