Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 1:26:19 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
People from other countries , what have you learned about the USA, ? On DDO
The people ?
The place ?
What are the doing right , what are they doing wrong ?
What could they learn from your country ?
What could your country learn from them. ?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 7:00:13 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I shall comment on this tomorrow. :)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 7:21:05 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 1:26:19 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
The people ?
The place ?

-They're idiots, like 99% of this community
-It's a rather boring dump
-They're not doing anything right, they're exploiting the middle-east, being d-cks to Eastern Europe and trying to control Europe.
-Nothing, they could learn a lot from Russia.
-I think the best lesson the USA can give is "don't be like us".
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:15:13 PM
DDO is a unique microcosm. Being on the internet alone already narrows the kind of views you're likely to encounter. Add on to that the fact that the population here is skewed young and tends to be highly opinionated and argumentative/assertive and you're going to be receiving a very specialized sort of view point. I'd take any information you receive on DDO with a grain of salt, just as you should with anything you receive from an unverified source.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 6:16:30 PM
-They are unyielding in their basic ideology (liberalism, conservatism, libertarianism) and judge actions, policies and principle according to whether they conform to their ideology or not.
-There are many zealots, both on the religious and atheist sides
-They have a weird educational system
-They are very proud of their weird policies, like zero national healthcare, gun rights (for conservatives) or drug legalisation (for liberals)
-In general, they aren't that scientifically literate, but those who are scientifically literate are experts
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 5:22:16 AM
The people ?
The place ?

I learned they are a lot like any other country. At the moment they (Seem) to be heavily focused on politics, but thats probably because this website attracts those sorts of people.
Meh!
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 5:49:56 AM
At 3/20/2016 5:22:16 AM, Axonly wrote:
The people ?
The place ?

I learned they are a lot like any other country. At the moment they (Seem) to be heavily focused on politics, but thats probably because this website attracts those sorts of people.

Lovvvveeee. Politics , uptight as about abortion , more guns. Did I say they love politics.
It's kind of like they get 75 votes each. But their alright.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:12:02 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised no one learned anything about American's aside from liking guns.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 2:59:18 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
They're gullible, and very uptight. Some are easily angered.
The people ?
Some swear a lot. Some like to make death threats and they don't like it when you post facts about their country.
The place ?
It's not a garbage dumb.
A lot of things wrong.
Nothing, they probably don't even know my country exists.
How to swear like a sailor. Aside from that, nothing.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 5:11:34 PM
I'll add one more
-Americans with the first name 'Cody' are likely to have large vocabularies

Don't be a stat cynic:

foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 6:08:50 PM

Barely anything.

The people ?

Many value their guns. Occasionally, they start using personal attacks instead of being formal and respectful, although not every American is like that, obviously.

The place ?

It looks like a nice place overall.

The stuff they're doing wrong, outweighs the stuff they're doing right.

Nothing pretty much. I wouldn't consider my country some type of "role model", and most people around the world, don't even know about my country.

Nothing probably.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2016 8:05:54 PM
The people ?
The place ?

As an American, maybe I can offer some insight. I will speak in terms of generalities.

Overall, America is gluttonous, religious, arrogant and ignorant of the rest of the world.

42% of Americans do not believe in evolution and think the earth is less than 10,000 years old. Compared to the rest of western civilization, Americans are uneducated and arrogantly guard their stubborn stupidity like their life depends on it.

The good news is that younger generations are rejecting their parents religion, intolerance and superiority. They are even rejecting their parents' gluttony. As the older generations die off and the younger generations gain power, I believe America will move towards more European style values reflective of the younger generations' beliefs.

The stereotypical American traits, as defined by non-Americans, correlates closely with religiosity. I am doing my part to make America less religious. :)
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 3:42:13 AM
At 8/6/2016 8:05:54 PM, matt8800 wrote:
The stereotypical American traits, as defined by non-Americans, correlates closely with religiosity. I am doing my part to make America less religious. :)
Really? I actually didn't know how religious Americans were before I came to DDO. Gluttony is certainly an important part of American stereotypes though, along with greed and promiscuity...

Don't be a stat cynic:

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 3:49:13 AM
At 8/8/2016 3:42:13 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Really? I actually didn't know how religious Americans were before I came to DDO. Gluttony is certainly an important part of American stereotypes though, along with greed and promiscuity...

Yeah, the gluttony has much more to do with materialism than religion, as do the greed and promiscuity.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 3:56:42 AM
The people ?
The place ?

As an American, maybe I can offer some insight. I will speak in terms of generalities.

Overall, America is gluttonous, religious, arrogant and ignorant of the rest of the world.

42% of Americans do not believe in evolution and think the earth is less than 10,000 years old. Compared to the rest of western civilization, Americans are uneducated and arrogantly guard their stubborn stupidity like their life depends on it.

The good news is that younger generations are rejecting their parents religion, intolerance and superiority. They are even rejecting their parents' gluttony. As the older generations die off and the younger generations gain power, I believe America will move towards more European style values reflective of the younger generations' beliefs.

Oh, religion are you talking about? But you're American, what do you know about religion? As a person speaking to a person who claims they are American, may I enlighten you.

Probably 90% of religious people believe in the God of Abraham. So that technically means that 90% of religious people believe that the world isn't a couple billion years old.

Secondly, America does not teach their children their proper history. In fact I have no clue what America teaches their children in regards to history. It's quite amazing that most Americans think they ended WW2. It's also funny how Americans think the Vietnam war was about them when most Vietnamese people think it was about China. Please, we who are not Americans know that most of you are bigots who like to boast about your country, but please refrain from stating stuff that's obviously not true.

Thirdly there is something wrong with your war veterans. Aside from the ones that have PTSD, most of your war veterans are so devoted to America that they'll accept any horrendous order America tells them to carry out. Also your war veterans seem to unanimously think that America is right in every military view. This is a problem. America has a whole lot of people going into the military and coming out brainwashed that everything America does is right. America, your military takes billions of dollars from you, it also takes the lives of your sons and daughters and what does it give back? A parania that everyone's out to get America.

Fourthly, please tell me about all the countries that want to be like you? Seriously.

Fifthly, you Americans are fat. There is no denying it. Not all of you are fat, but most of you are fat. Please stop invading the rest of the world with your McDonals and crap. We don't need that.

I hope I have enlightened you upon your current situation. I hope with this new found knowledge you will put it to good use.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 5:22:31 AM
At 8/8/2016 3:49:13 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Yeah, the gluttony has much more to do with materialism than religion, as do the greed and promiscuity.

As an American, I can confirm that is true.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 5:24:24 AM
At 8/8/2016 5:22:31 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Omg, I'm an American too! We seem to have come to an insurmountable impasse; clearly living in this country grants both of us omniscience concerning its cultural undercurrents.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 5:25:44 AM

I should say that certain parts of the country are more religious but overall, America is the most religious civilized country with the exception of Turkey.

It is a fact that more religious regions are also the fattest and have lower average IQs. I can provide sources if anyone disputes that.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 5:42:37 AM
At 8/8/2016 3:56:42 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
The people ?
The place ?

Oh, religion are you talking about? But you're American, what do you know about religion? As a person speaking to a person who claims they are American, may I enlighten you.

You cant enlighten me with anything. America is predominately Christian and that is a fact. Google it.

Probably 90% of religious people believe in the God of Abraham. So that technically means that 90% of religious people believe that the world isn't a couple billion years old.

What is your point? Is this a parable?

Secondly, America does not teach their children their proper history. In fact I have no clue what America teaches their children in regards to history. It's quite amazing that most Americans think they ended WW2. It's also funny how Americans think the Vietnam war was about them when most Vietnamese people think it was about China. Please, we who are not Americans know that most of you are bigots who like to boast about your country, but please refrain from stating stuff that's obviously not true.

You must have me confused with someone else you had a bad experience with :(

Thirdly there is something wrong with your war veterans. Aside from the ones that have PTSD, most of your war veterans are so devoted to America that they'll accept any horrendous order America tells them to carry out. Also your war veterans seem to unanimously think that America is right in every military view. This is a problem. America has a whole lot of people going into the military and coming out brainwashed that everything America does is right. America, your military takes billions of dollars from you, it also takes the lives of your sons and daughters and what does it give back? A parania that everyone's out to get America.

You are talking about Republicans, and yes, I agree it is a problem. The are religious nuts that thinks Jesus told them personally that they must rule the world. If you are religious, I suggest you pray that Clinton wins this election.

Fourthly, please tell me about all the countries that want to be like you? Seriously.

That is Republican propaganda. Our younger generation thinks our country is a bully and needs to be more like Europe (I can provide sources to back this up if anyone questions this). Once the older generation dies, they will vote into power a government like the one Europe has today. It is inevitable.

Fifthly, you Americans are fat. There is no denying it. Not all of you are fat, but most of you are fat. Please stop invading the rest of the world with your McDonals and crap. We don't need that.

Yep :)

I hope I have enlightened you upon your current situation. I hope with this new found knowledge you will put it to good use.

No, I didn't learn anything but it was entertaining and for that, thank you ;)
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 5:43:53 AM
At 8/8/2016 5:24:24 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 8/8/2016 5:22:31 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Omg, I'm an American too! We seem to have come to an insurmountable impasse; clearly living in this country grants both of us omniscience concerning its cultural undercurrents.

I tell everyone I'm omniscient anyway :)
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:04:09 PM
At 8/8/2016 5:42:37 AM, matt8800 wrote:
The people ?
The place ?

You cant enlighten me with anything. America is predominately Christian and that is a fact. Google it.

You are talking about Republicans, and yes, I agree it is a problem. The are religious nuts that thinks Jesus told them personally that they must rule the world. If you are religious, I suggest you pray that Clinton wins this election.

That is Republican propaganda. Our younger generation thinks our country is a bully and needs to be more like Europe (I can provide sources to back this up if anyone questions this). Once the older generation dies, they will vote into power a government like the one Europe has today. It is inevitable.

Oh and I forgot to add something.

Sixthly, Americans alway think they know everything.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:11:09 PM
At 8/8/2016 2:04:09 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
The people ?
The place ?

Or, at minimum, some appear to know more than some pandas ;)
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:14:19 PM
At 8/8/2016 2:11:09 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 8/8/2016 2:04:09 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
The people ?
The place ?

Or, at minimum, some appear to know more than some pandas ;)

Maybe some pandas and that's pretty much rare. In fact that's probably only immigrants coming into America like Asian-Americans or Muslims or Indians that know more than Panda's. but nobody know more than HeavenlyPanda.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:37:26 PM
At 3/16/2016 7:21:05 AM, smelisox wrote:
The people ?
The place ?

-It's a rather boring dump
-They're not doing anything right, they're exploiting the middle-east, being d-cks to Eastern Europe and trying to control Europe.
-Nothing, they could learn a lot from Russia.

Mirza?
UUU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 7:35:22 AM
I believe America will move towards more European style values reflective of the younger generations' beliefs.

Europe has values.. didn't know that!
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 8:12:26 AM
At 8/10/2016 7:35:22 AM, UUU wrote:
I believe America will move towards more European style values reflective of the younger generations' beliefs.

Europe has values.. didn't know that!

It is about you learned then

http://www.echr.coe.int...
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 8:20:58 AM
At 3/16/2016 7:21:05 AM, smelisox wrote:
The people ?
The place ?

Spot on.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
UUU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:29:58 AM
Rights and values are very different things. Rights empower citizens and values uplift individuals. Besides, I think it is hilarious if someone argues for the moral status of western civilizations.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:44:50 AM
At 8/10/2016 9:29:58 AM, UUU wrote:
Rights and values are very different things. Rights empower citizens and values uplift individuals. Besides, I think it is hilarious if someone argues for the moral status of western civilizations.

When your hilarity subsides, perhaps you would care to point out what is wrong with the moral status of western civilisation.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 3:12:46 PM
At 8/10/2016 9:29:58 AM, UUU wrote:

You mean stuff like don't kill homosexuals, equality or democracy?