Jump to topic:

What makes a hate group, a hate group?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 1:43:57 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
What makes a hate group, a hate group? Composition primarily of white people? A right wing political agenda? Composition of primarily one race? A left wing political agenda?

What qualities do you think are reasonable to make a hate group properly describable as such?
Tsar of DDO
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 1:58:41 PM
At 3/10/2016 1:43:57 PM, YYW wrote:
What makes a hate group, a hate group? Composition primarily of white people? A right wing political agenda? Composition of primarily one race? A left wing political agenda?

What qualities do you think are reasonable to make a hate group properly describable as such?

A group of people with the same opinion.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 2:02:41 PM
At 3/10/2016 1:58:41 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

After reading this: https://www.splcenter.org... It looks like you're right.

What's interesting here is that so few even take the time to look at the specifics of what's being called a "hate group."

Even the phrase "hate group" seems like the kind of absurd, because it is so overused.
Tsar of DDO
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 2:03:57 PM
At 3/10/2016 2:02:41 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/10/2016 1:58:41 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

After reading this: https://www.splcenter.org... It looks like you're right.

What's interesting here is that so few even take the time to look at the specifics of what's being called a "hate group."

Even the phrase "hate group" seems like the kind of absurd, because it is so overused.

I thought of 100000 different ways in 3 mins
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 2:11:33 PM
I really think classifying the Nation of Islam as a hate group is going too far, and most anti-gay groups aren't really properly classifiable as that either. They're just fringe political groups that cater to their special interests.

It's even possible that the Southern Poverty Law Center could classify the NRA or the Republican Party itself as a "hate group" by the standard's its utilizing, where even some mainstream political groups are included (i.e. anti-abortion groups) in its list.

The more interesting question, though, is why so many of the groups "of this type." Their chart seems to suggest an increase in volume of such groups in recent years, which is very interesting.

Is the increase because of an increasingly broad definition of what a hate group is?

Could the increase be in response to the vitriol and acrimony on the far left that has come to characterize modern political discourse?

By the SLPC standard, #blacklivesmatter should be a hate group.... but I couldn't find it. So even though they're probably being over-inclusive, there's still some apparent bias in how they're identifying or excluding hate groups.
Tsar of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:31:27 PM
The phrase "hate group", like "racist", is no longer used correctly by anyone. It's become almost solely a smear word used to describe any group who disagrees with you (by "you" I'm talking about people in general). Nobody will consider groups on their side of the spectrum to be hate groups or racist but every person and group on the other side is. It's similar to "radical", a term which every American uses to describe the main opposing political party while regarding their own party as moderate.
We should just do away with both terms entirely.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:45:16 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:31:27 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The phrase "hate group", like "racist", is no longer used correctly by anyone. It's become almost solely a smear word used to describe any group who disagrees with you (by "you" I'm talking about people in general). Nobody will consider groups on their side of the spectrum to be hate groups or racist but every person and group on the other side is. It's similar to "radical", a term which every American uses to describe the main opposing political party while regarding their own party as moderate.
We should just do away with both terms entirely.

I don't think that doing away with both terms entirely is a good idea. Groups like the Westboro Baptist Church, or the KKK are properly describable as "hate groups." But not pro-life organizations, or family-values organizations, as the SPLC does.

That's the whole problem with this tendency among PC liberals... anything inconsistent with their PC narrative, they lump in together with things like the KKK and WBC. That's a real problem, because there are meaningful distinctions that clearly exist to anyone with eyes and a functioning brain.

It feels weird for me, as a very liberal guy, to appear to come to the defense of, for example, pro-life groups and anti-gay groups.... but that's the difference between me and, for example, the PC lot of postmodern liberals who don't frankly give a sh!t about important details.

That's part of the problem with how genuine political discourse in this country started to break down. Back in the 1990s, there were some very nasty ideas on the left that came into vogue. They came into vogue contemporaneously with things like Newt Gingrich's rise to political prominence. (Gingrich is pretty much the right wing version of Andrea Dworkin, he's just way smarter than she ever was... even though he's a slime.)

Now that things have been in motion for a while... it's all gone to sh!t.

There are at this point an entire generation of kids (read: people my age or around my age) who really don't even know what political debate ought to be about. It's about values; what's right, and wrong; what kind of a people we are, and what kind of a country we want to be. It's not about who is "oppressed" or not oppressed by things like political advocacy of a certain kind.

It's really repulsive to me that liberals could be so stupid as to think that the government getting involved in the business of silencing political dissent is a good idea. There literally are people, prominent people among the postmodern left, who would invite the government to use the force of law to punish those who engage in politically controversial acts, where a "politically controversial act" offends others' sensibilities, and that's already happening throughout Europe.

It could happen here in the United States too, and what's terrifying about today's liberals is that they're totally ok with that. They think it's "justice" for the government to beat back political views that fall outside the mainstream. Today, they're right wing views, but they could easily be left wing views if certain members of the Right were in power and got their way.

In this country, we all begin, or we once began, with the basic idea that the right of free speech will NEVER be infringed for anyone under any circumstance. But that's not a given anymore. There are members of this site even who have openly advocated for European-style censorship laws. When that happens, our beautiful multi-century experiment in Democracy will end.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:00:55 AM
I really do think #blacklivesmatter should be categorized as a "hate group" by the SPLC's standard. Of course it's not... but it should be. Though their standard is absurd, because clearly #blacklivesmatter is not a hate group.
Tsar of DDO
Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 4:23:47 PM
At 3/10/2016 2:11:33 PM, YYW wrote:
I really think classifying the Nation of Islam as a hate group is going too far, and most anti-gay groups aren't really properly classifiable as that either. They're just fringe political groups that cater to their special interests.

It's even possible that the Southern Poverty Law Center could classify the NRA or the Republican Party itself as a "hate group" by the standard's its utilizing, where even some mainstream political groups are included (i.e. anti-abortion groups) in its list.

The more interesting question, though, is why so many of the groups "of this type." Their chart seems to suggest an increase in volume of such groups in recent years, which is very interesting.

Is the increase because of an increasingly broad definition of what a hate group is?

Could the increase be in response to the vitriol and acrimony on the far left that has come to characterize modern political discourse?

By the SLPC standard, #blacklivesmatter should be a hate group.... but I couldn't find it. So even though they're probably being over-inclusive, there's still some apparent bias in how they're identifying or excluding hate groups.

Oh there is certainly bias. They are a leftist political action group. Being left or right definitely influences whether a group is put on the list or not. That is the problem with ideologues, when you embrace a bias you are going to have faulty output.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 6:09:44 PM

Not having read the entire thread, let me interject a simple point. This term, like micro-aggression, has value. If it is misused, abused, that is worthy of debate. Yea, there are hate groups. There may be a good checklist, I don't know, but when I call the Klan a hate group you know what I mean, and so does a Klan member.

Southern poverty law I am sure has a good metric system, but I don't even care that much. The term is valuable in common conversation even without some gold stamp accreditation or entry in Websters.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 7:06:00 PM
At 3/11/2016 6:09:44 PM, TBR wrote:

Not having read the entire thread, let me interject a simple point. This term, like micro-aggression, has value.

Not really. The concept exists for the purpose of policing thought, action and language. While I agree that there are actions which fall within the scope of what could be categorized as "micro-aggressions" which are legitimate faux pas's, we already have a world for such unacceptable behavior: rudeness. There is no need to invent new instances of victimization for garden variety rudeness.

If it is misused, abused, that is worthy of debate. Yea, there are hate groups. There may be a good checklist, I don't know, but when I call the Klan a hate group you know what I mean, and so does a Klan member.

Yeah there are plenty of hate groups... the problem is that pro-life organizations and traditional marriage organizations, as well as the Minute Men fall within their scope. Make no mistake, I do not support those organizations and I don't think that any decent person should, but the fact that I disagree with an organization or a group of people with a set of political ideas does not make them a "hate group."

Southern poverty law I am sure has a good metric system, but I don't even care that much. The term is valuable in common conversation even without some gold stamp accreditation or entry in Websters.

Their standard is over-inclusive and biased...
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 9:15:59 PM
At 3/11/2016 7:06:00 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/11/2016 6:09:44 PM, TBR wrote:

Not having read the entire thread, let me interject a simple point. This term, like micro-aggression, has value.

Not really. The concept exists for the purpose of policing thought, action and language. While I agree that there are actions which fall within the scope of what could be categorized as "micro-aggressions" which are legitimate faux pas's, we already have a world for such unacceptable behavior: rudeness. There is no need to invent new instances of victimization for garden variety rudeness.

You know... I may be moving a bit closer to the theme you are getting at. When I use (as rare as that may be) these terms, they are primarily in reference to conservative poking at them. Yea, I have the need to "defend" in some sense, but truth is, I am defending the concepts not the terms - I am forced to discuss a term with no real necessity.

An example is "feminism" generally. I can tell you with confidence that every woman in my family going back several generations is a strong self-confidant woman who will stand her ground. I stand very strong for the issues they see as "unfair" - and they ARE unfair. Not one of them would identify as a "feminists" by name.

If it is misused, abused, that is worthy of debate. Yea, there are hate groups. There may be a good checklist, I don't know, but when I call the Klan a hate group you know what I mean, and so does a Klan member.

Yeah there are plenty of hate groups... the problem is that pro-life organizations and traditional marriage organizations, as well as the Minute Men fall within their scope. Make no mistake, I do not support those organizations and I don't think that any decent person should, but the fact that I disagree with an organization or a group of people with a set of political ideas does not make them a "hate group."

I agree generally, but I can point out some pro-life groups that could (should) be included in under the umbrella. Look up AHA (Abolish Human Abortion). They are just plain terrible people.

Their standard is over-inclusive and biased...

I think I might look up their criteria. I'm sure its published somewhere. A question. Do you agree that they have been an incredible organization throughout their existence?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 10:09:21 PM
At 3/11/2016 9:34:15 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

Well... I am part of a group that thinks that not only is 1+ million fetuses disposed of per year is a good thing, I think the number should be higher, so... I guess I just hate fetuses.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 10:11:01 PM
At 3/11/2016 10:09:21 PM, TBR wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

Well... I am part of a group that thinks that not only is 1+ million fetuses disposed of per year is a good thing, I think the number should be higher, so... I guess I just hate fetuses.

Really?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 10:15:30 PM
At 3/11/2016 10:11:01 PM, Rosalie wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

Really?

What part? Do I think that more people should choose abortion? Yea.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 10:16:38 PM
At 3/11/2016 10:15:30 PM, TBR wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

Really?

Remember in hangout a few weeks ago, you told me you were really passionate on the subject? could you please message me, and tell me why? I'm really interested in it.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 10:24:14 PM
DDO is a hate group.

Really?

I would agree. But if people could simply wrap it up, that wouldn't even be necessary.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 10:24:56 PM
At 3/11/2016 10:16:38 PM, Rosalie wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

Really?

Remember in hangout a few weeks ago, you told me you were really passionate on the subject? could you please message me, and tell me why? I'm really interested in it.

Well, it is a subject that has been an active part of my life since I was born. I have done more to reduce the need for abortion than 100 average pro-lifer.

What I said that is controversial is (or may be) that I think there should be more - I do. There is now, and always been a biases for having unwanted children. Throughout the world, there are children that who live terrible lives because of this biases, including in the US. There is no reality to statements like "give life a chance" when the more reasonable and successful solution is an abortion at some point. Most women who have an abortion have or will have children. The reasons for choosing abortion at any time are their own, but they do know better than some fool who has an overly emotional attachment with a fetus.

Legal safe abortion is an enormous net benefit for society - that is part of why I get frustrated with pro-life assuming that they have some moral high ground on the topic.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:02:14 PM
DDO is a hate group.

Really what I hate is the idea of some people reproducing.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:07:29 PM
At 3/11/2016 11:02:14 PM, YYW wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

Way too many YYW. There is a truly evil reality to pro-life word that every feterlized egg is sacred and wanted. They are not either.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:09:47 PM
At 3/11/2016 11:07:29 PM, TBR wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

Way too many YYW. There is a truly evil reality to pro-life word that every feterlized egg is sacred and wanted. They are not either.

I just wish that some groups took the threat of STD's more seriously. The people with the highest rates of STD infection are the last who should be reproducing, and if you have HIV/Aids, you should not be allowed to reproduce and thereby pass that on to another human being.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:16:03 PM
At 3/11/2016 11:09:47 PM, YYW wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

I just wish that some groups took the threat of STD's more seriously. The people with the highest rates of STD infection are the last who should be reproducing, and if you have HIV/Aids, you should not be allowed to reproduce and thereby pass that on to another human being.

You know... I don't mean to derail this, but the damn pro-life people are so damn happy to "protect" life that they insist that babies KNOWN to have no actual chance of living into their teens are required to be born. I mean this sincerely, they have no place thinking they are humanitarians.

If I (at my adult age) looking at the chance of my only child (my son) knew he was going to suffer for 5 to 8 years and die, I would have supported my wifes choice to abort. My son however is a happy little boy playing in front of me today because of good family planing choices in both of our (wife and i) part.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:17:40 PM
At 3/11/2016 11:16:03 PM, TBR wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

You know... I don't mean to derail this, but the damn pro-life people are so damn happy to "protect" life that they insist that babies KNOWN to have no actual chance of living into their teens are required to be born. I mean this sincerely, they have no place thinking they are humanitarians.

If I (at my adult age) looking at the chance of my only child (my son) knew he was going to suffer for 5 to 8 years and die, I would have supported my wifes choice to abort. My son however is a happy little boy playing in front of me today because of good family planing choices in both of our (wife and i) part.

What I have never understood is why any parent would carry a severely mentally handicapped child to term. Ever. I just don't fvcking get it. But then again, I say that... and people look at me like I've just supported the holocaust or something.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:25:00 PM
At 3/11/2016 11:17:40 PM, YYW wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

What I have never understood is why any parent would carry a severely mentally handicapped child to term. Ever. I just don't fvcking get it. But then again, I say that... and people look at me like I've just supported the holocaust or something.

RIGHT! I (we) are not the bad guys here.

Good friend of my wife (lesbian couple) did in vitro. Result - twins. One who is... going to die most likely. They knew this. She is a mess. That is monstrous. Don't rush me with your super morals when you support this, frankly, torture. You are the monster, not me.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:26:45 PM
At 3/11/2016 11:25:00 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/11/2016 11:17:40 PM, YYW wrote:
DDO is a hate group.

RIGHT! I (we) are not the bad guys here.

Good friend of my wife (lesbian couple) did in vitro. Result - twins. One who is... going to die most likely. They knew this. She is a mess. That is monstrous. Don't rush me with your super morals when you support this, frankly, torture. You are the monster, not me.

I agree entirely.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:30:31 PM
At 3/11/2016 11:27:07 PM, TBR wrote:
Should add. On a early Friday wine rant. So... Abortion questions, ask me anything.

I'm thinking about running to the corner store and getting a 6 pack... or a 12 pack...
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:31:16 PM
At 3/11/2016 11:30:31 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/11/2016 11:27:07 PM, TBR wrote:
Should add. On a early Friday wine rant. So... Abortion questions, ask me anything.

I'm thinking about running to the corner store and getting a 6 pack... or a 12 pack...

12. Catch up with me.