Jump to topic:

What Is The Point of Liife?

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:14:52 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I honestly don't know. Why were we put on this earth? Why is it immoral to take your own life, unless you're religious or something.

There is honestly no point to life, you experience, happiness, anger, loss and sorrow. What exactly is the point?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:17:39 AM
At 3/11/2016 12:14:52 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I honestly don't know. Why were we put on this earth? Why is it immoral to take your own life, unless you're religious or something.

There is honestly no point to life, you experience, happiness, anger, loss and sorrow. What exactly is the point?

My purpose in life is to be happy.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:19:48 AM
At 3/11/2016 12:17:39 AM, kasmic wrote:

But what if you aren't happy?

You're just waiting until the day you die, that's all there is to it.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:27:54 AM
Life is disposable. There is no exact reason or point for anything existing.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:38:59 AM

Think of it this way.
You're alive. You're something. You're a living being. Why? Well, depending on religious views, that can vary, but this kind of question always troubles me.

Honestly, I can't answer it for the general public, nor for you. Your point in life is made possible by you, not me. For me, outside of religious terms, I just love being here. I can't find a reason to be angry or sad. I'm just a happy person in general, and I love spreading it around to other people. If I can make someone happy, then I'm happy.

And why do people say there's no point to life? You are alive, right? You matter, don't you? So why on earth is there no point to life?

If you wanna talk more or need any advice from a good ol' Vaarkarian, or someone to just chat/rant to, I'm a PM away ;3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:40:26 AM
At 3/11/2016 12:38:59 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Think of it this way.
You're alive. You're something. You're a living being. Why? Well, depending on religious views, that can vary, but this kind of question always troubles me.

Honestly, I can't answer it for the general public, nor for you. Your point in life is made possible by you, not me. For me, outside of religious terms, I just love being here. I can't find a reason to be angry or sad. I'm just a happy person in general, and I love spreading it around to other people. If I can make someone happy, then I'm happy.

And why do people say there's no point to life? You are alive, right? You matter, don't you? So why on earth is there no point to life?

If you wanna talk more or need any advice from a good ol' Vaarkarian, or someone to just chat/rant to, I'm a PM away ;3

If I'm sad, I should be able to end my life, if I see no way out. If I believe there is no meaning to life, that means there is no point of living.

CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:41:00 AM
We should ask this to the elders. Old people certainly have an answer to this. Look -> if you ask different kind of people, let's say, teenager, businessmen, parents, academic wizards, etc., they all have different answers. But those who lived more than 65 are the ones who are worthy enough to be asked about this.
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:42:30 AM
At 3/11/2016 12:40:26 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Think of it this way.

If I'm sad, I should be able to end my life, if I see no way out. If I believe there is no meaning to life, that means there is no point of living.

Why are you sad though? Why does that make you not want to live anymore? And even if there is no meaning to life, that's not just an open invitation to end it. You're alive, your one chance at being alive. Don't waste it, don't end it so quickly.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:44:16 AM
At 3/11/2016 12:42:30 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Think of it this way.

Why are you sad though? Why does that make you not want to live anymore? And even if there is no meaning to life, that's not just an open invitation to end it. You're alive, your one chance at being alive. Don't waste it, don't end it so quickly.

But what if someone doesn't want to live life? Maybe their fed up with humanity, and backstabbers, and liars, and people who hate. Society will never, ever change.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:47:29 AM
At 3/11/2016 12:44:16 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Think of it this way.

But what if someone doesn't want to live life? Maybe their fed up with humanity, and backstabbers, and liars, and people who hate. Society will never, ever change.

There are bad people, but there are also a lot of good people. Everyone always sums up society based on the people they feel betrayed or hated by, because they seem to find them often. In reality, while there are those kind of people out there, that doesn't mark society as being those kind of people. There are so many great people out there, and while you may not always find or see them, they're there.

Also, I can never imagine wanting to backstab someone, or lie to them for my personal gain. Along with that, I'm willing to talk if you want.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:02:15 AM
At 3/11/2016 12:47:29 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Think of it this way.

There are bad people, but there are also a lot of good people. Everyone always sums up society based on the people they feel betrayed or hated by, because they seem to find them often. In reality, while there are those kind of people out there, that doesn't mark society as being those kind of people. There are so many great people out there, and while you may not always find or see them, they're there.

Also, I can never imagine wanting to backstab someone, or lie to them for my personal gain. Along with that, I'm willing to talk if you want.

There is no such thing as "good people" they may have good intentions, but those don't last long.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:03:40 AM
At 3/11/2016 2:02:15 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Think of it this way.

There is no such thing as "good people" they may have good intentions, but those don't last long.

So am I not a good person?

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:04:51 AM
At 3/11/2016 2:03:40 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Think of it this way.

As of now you are. But, eventually you will turn in me, become a backstabber, and lie, just like everyone else does.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:05:30 AM
At 3/11/2016 2:04:51 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Think of it this way.

As of now you are. But, eventually you will turn in me, become a backstabber, and lie, just like everyone else does.

Now why on earth would I do that?

And by this logic, won't you do the same?

Briannj17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:50:44 AM

Hi Rosalie. Love exists I know this to be true,
There is at least one person that really loves you,
Life is an experience, not just a test,
You don't have to do better than all the rest,
Life is what you do until you cannot anymore,
You got the eye of the tiger, now let's hear your roar,
To think and to do, that is life
And although the world is full of strife,
In the end happiness will come,
After the storm out comes the sun,
http://www.debate.org...
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:59:45 AM
At 3/11/2016 2:50:44 AM, Briannj17 wrote:

Hi Rosalie. Love exists I know this to be true,
There is at least one person that really loves you,
Life is an experience, not just a test,
You don't have to do better than all the rest,
Life is what you do until you cannot anymore,
You got the eye of the tiger, now let's hear your roar,
To think and to do, that is life
And although the world is full of strife,
In the end happiness will come,
After the storm out comes the sun,

^ +1

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:41:17 AM
There really is no objective 'point' of life and to be honest this philosophy is depressing. So as much as possible I try to distract myself by doing things that makes me happy. If you want my advice, avoid being alone for a long periods of time. Stick with friends and things that will distract you from this idea.

The only thing that keeps me from killing myself because of how boring and meaningless life is the idea that we only get this one life to live and to enjoy before we die.
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:54:12 AM
At 3/11/2016 12:19:48 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Things that make you happy just leave you drained, like a sugar crash. It's just one emotion of hundreds, and not even the most interesting. Pursuit of happiness is like chasing donuts. The other stuff, well that makes you badass later in life. It's the protien of life. It sucks sometimes, it's draining, like leg day. But you're building badassedness. I seen a few people over 100. Badasses, every one.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 5:00:15 AM
At 3/11/2016 3:54:12 AM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:

Things that make you happy just leave you drained, like a sugar crash. It's just one emotion of hundreds, and not even the most interesting. Pursuit of happiness is like chasing donuts. The other stuff, well that makes you badass later in life. It's the protien of life. It sucks sometimes, it's draining, like leg day. But you're building badassedness. I seen a few people over 100. Badasses, every one.

Happiness doesn't last

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 5:45:39 AM
At 3/11/2016 5:00:15 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Happiness doesn't last

Sam Harris agrees, though he seems to argue that happiness isn't something that comes and goes on its own, but is rather a resting state that is intruded upon by stressors like our neuroses and anxieties. Conquer or quiet these and happiness becomes more long-lasting.

http://bigthink.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
NumberOneGuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 9:10:04 AM
you sound depressed in this thread rosalie. i hope you kno if you need some one to talk to you can always pm me
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:18:23 AM
There isn't any intrinsic/objective meaning to life. You want meaning to life, give it meaning. We all have choices to make, and our choices define our worth. It's our choices that give ourselves meaning. We weren't "born with a purpose." To that extent, I'm an existential nihilist. I'm an existentialist in that you can *live* with a purpose. If you aren't happy with life, make your life happy. Do what you like best. Whatever you think is awesome or fun or makes you happy, as long as it doesn't harm others or yourself in the long run, do it. Pleasure is intrinsically valuable because that's what humans value, as is preventing suffering.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:19:40 AM
Tl;dr

The "point of life" is something you make for yourself. If moral realism is true, it's that and keeping your commitments to others.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:34:53 AM
To achieve the goals you set for yourself.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:11:50 PM
"In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close to mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away."
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:20:18 PM
At 3/11/2016 5:00:15 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Happiness doesn't last

Agree completely. Joy gets lost. Sometimes Sadness touches my balls and makes the blue.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 1:20:27 PM
At 3/11/2016 2:04:51 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Think of it this way.

Reading through this again, what you said actually makes me worried. If this is honestly how you think, then I'm worried for you. I'm not mad that you think I'll do that, but it concerns me and makes me sad that people actually think there are no good people.

Yes, there are bad people, but there are good people. Sure, the bad people stand out, they seem to always be there, and they seem to be people you once trusted. There are some bad people, and some people who don't intentionally do it, but there are good people too. There are people who would never want to hurt you. There are people who love you and care about you, even if you don't think so. They are out there, and sometimes hard to find, because they're usually the ones you don't notice or know well.

And again, I promise I'm only a PM away if you wanna talk about this.

roun12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 1:33:50 PM
I'll just leave this here.

https://cdn.psychologytoday.com...
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:02:30 PM
At 3/11/2016 12:11:50 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
"In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close to mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Certainly," said man.

And He went away."

I f*cking love that book.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:54:22 PM
At 3/11/2016 2:02:30 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/11/2016 12:11:50 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:

"Certainly," said man.

And He went away."

I f*cking love that book.

What's the book?
Tsar of DDO