Jump to topic:

Medium-rare/bloody meat safe?

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 5:13:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
As I was munching down on my three pound bloody steak today, I thought... this can't be health.

Until a year ago always ate my meat well done (that's how my mom always made it). But then on a camping trip I had some medium rare steak and I was like, Whoa this is what life tastes like! Ever since I cook my steak like that. But I wonder, is it safe? Can the bacteria survive the cooking? Have any of you ever had problems after eating bloody meat? KFC?

If this were yahoo answers I would offer 10 Points to the best answer, but I cannot. Answer anyways please.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 5:15:42 PM
It all depends on how hot the center of the meat gets, not how well done it is or how bloody it is.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 5:18:07 PM
Degrees of rarity relate to time, not temperature of the cooked meat. Blue steak is gross though - much like well done is, though for differing reasons. :P

*disclaimer* I rarely eat red meat.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 5:22:37 PM
Heat kills bacteria, not cooking time. If the whole steak is cooked through at a certain temperature then the risk of bacteria still infecting it is fairly slim.

With that said there is a warning on restaurant menus because the temperatures used to cook less done steaks is lower, but still over the bacteria killing temperature. The risk of bacteria remaining is greater, but it still isn't all that much of a risk.

Here's a chart for optimal temperatures: http://whatscookingamerica.net...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 5:44:02 PM
i've heard Very Freshly killed rare meat is fine (though tough to digest)

Bacteria starts growing as soon as it dies.

Though... don't eat any Tapeworms!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 5:47:02 PM
At 11/10/2010 5:22:37 PM, Korashk wrote:
Heat kills bacteria, not cooking time. If the whole steak is cooked through at a certain temperature then the risk of bacteria still infecting it is fairly slim.

With that said there is a warning on restaurant menus because the temperatures used to cook less done steaks is lower, but still over the bacteria killing temperature. The risk of bacteria remaining is greater, but it still isn't all that much of a risk.

Bolded part's probably wrong because Puck says time makes a difference.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 5:49:48 PM
At 11/10/2010 5:47:02 PM, Korashk wrote:

no, it is all about the temperature (to kill the bacteria), though the time is important when it comes to allowing the heat to get to the center of the meat, since you can cook the outside of the meat crisp and the inside can still be cool (and thus riskier).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 6:10:16 PM
At 11/10/2010 5:13:46 PM, Koopin wrote:
As I was munching down on my three pound bloody steak today, I thought... this can't be health.

Until a year ago always ate my meat well done (that's how my mom always made it). But then on a camping trip I had some medium rare steak and I was like, Whoa this is what life tastes like! Ever since I cook my steak like that. But I wonder, is it safe? Can the bacteria survive the cooking? Have any of you ever had problems after eating bloody meat? KFC?

If this were yahoo answers I would offer 10 Points to the best answer, but I cannot. Answer anyways please.

It just has to get a certain temperature (sorry not sure what it is exactly)
With pork and chicken you have to make sure to get all the blood gone, so it has to always be well cooked, but with beef you only need to get it hot enough to kill the bacteria. It would still be more healthy if you were to eat it well or even medium well, but if you are like me you don't really give a sh!t and eat rare/medium rare anyway. I didn't read through the other responses yet so I'm sure you have better answers thatn this by now anyway, lol.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 6:30:16 PM
At 11/10/2010 5:47:02 PM, Korashk wrote:

Naw heat relates to bacterial death, time relates to the end product of the meat; the two aren't related in that sense is what I meant. A rare steak deals with time cooked as does a well done steak, the timing (raw > well done) of the cooked meat is irrelevant to the heat of the cooking process, which does the necessary killing of things generally regardless of the timing.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 6:35:37 PM
At 11/10/2010 6:33:09 PM, Koopin wrote:
The less cooked the meat is the more protein too.

Useful if you are a bear!

Or I guess the sort that thinks eggs are 5 different food groups and going to the gym is a religious duty. >.>
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 7:29:45 PM
If a steak isn't cooked long enough, the center of the meat doesn't reach a high enough temperature to kill the bacteria (especially if it's a thick cut), so...

I eat LOTS of red meat :D
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 7:39:00 PM
At 11/10/2010 7:29:45 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
If a steak isn't cooked long enough, the center of the meat doesn't reach a high enough temperature to kill the bacteria (especially if it's a thick cut), so...

Thats how I live my life :D
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 8:09:50 PM
Well done increases your chances of cancer.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 8:23:27 PM
At 11/10/2010 7:29:45 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Same. This lady brought over like, 1/5 of a whole cow for us! Un-FDA approved meat FTW!!!!
kfc
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 8:25:41 PM
Eww, well done? That ruins the steak!

Steak = good

Medium-rare steak = great

Well done steak = nasty crap
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 9:38:57 PM
At 11/10/2010 8:25:41 PM, annhasle wrote:
Eww, well done? That ruins the steak!

Steak = good

Medium-rare steak = great

Well done steak = nasty crap

Rare=perfect

Sorry you missed one.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 9:53:17 PM
Wow WTF. What's with everyone using Cody's avie?? I totally just thought that every single post with that bear beside it was him and that maybe he had some kind of split personality disorder... that completely just fucked my mind.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 9:57:13 PM
At 11/10/2010 9:53:17 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
Wow WTF. What's with everyone using Cody's avie?? I totally just thought that every single post with that bear beside it was him and that maybe he had some kind of split personality disorder... that completely just fucked my mind.

Thats what did it for me.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 10:07:02 PM
At 11/10/2010 8:09:50 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

In addition to this it is inferior.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
JimProfit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 12:18:41 AM

Beef is fine. Beef is actually the safest meat you can eat raw. Followed by turkey if you can believe it. Pork and chicken I obviously wouldn't play with too much.

I have eaten raw bacon and sausage before. Mind you, bacon is smoked. But sausage isn't always. Not the good kind anyway. But it's damn good raw.

I do prefer my meat burnt ussually. Yes, burnt, I cook my meat so throughly it hardens and actually makes crunching noises. That takes about twenty minutes in the microwave.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 12:23:50 AM
At 11/11/2010 12:18:41 AM, JimProfit wrote:

I do prefer my meat burnt ussually. Yes, burnt, I cook my meat so throughly it hardens and actually makes crunching noises. That takes about twenty minutes in the microwave.

That is actually sickening just reading it...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:43:10 AM
It is safe to eat bloody meat, well at least beef and lamb. The bacteria is on the exterior and so killed fairly easily. It is even now regarded as safe to eat pork with some pinkness to it. Chicken however must be cooked thoroughly as the bacteria is present throughout it. Eating bloody or pink chicken results in food poisening. If you ever get served chicken with any pinkness, send it back.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 7:11:07 AM

How so? I've never met an African with cancer and thats what we eat, every single day.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 7:58:26 AM
At 11/11/2010 7:11:07 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:

How so? I've never met an African with cancer and thats what we eat, every single day.

my understanding is that all burnt things do...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 9:37:49 AM

Anecdotal evidence.

Experimentation I've read somewhere is how so. It's not the social sciences, you don't need theory when you have controlled experiments :P.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 9:46:07 AM

Africans are immune.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 9:46:49 AM
At 11/11/2010 9:37:49 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Anecdotal evidence.

Experimentation I've read somewhere is how so. It's not the social sciences, you don't need theory when you have controlled experiments :P.

Thats why i said how so? For you to provide evidence ie links to studies that show a well done meat increases cancer risk. Matt, well done does not mean burnt...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 9:55:39 AM
At 11/11/2010 9:46:49 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 11/11/2010 9:37:49 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Anecdotal evidence.

Thats why i said how so? For you to provide evidence ie links to studies that show a well done meat increases cancer risk. Matt, well done does not mean burnt...

"burnt" is like Fully broken down.. to charred bits.

well done is pretty broken down.

Rare is Not broken down.

though "hard bread"/Fired bread isn't necessarily Burnt... it does increase the likely hood of getting cancer b/c it's more broken down.

I don't really have much to go on though...

where's Puck?

Metaphysics: