Jump to topic:

Chaos to Cosmos

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 1:39:53 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
The rational mind lives in fear of contradiction. It prefers an ordered universe which obeys the laws of nature, a universe it calls cosmos.

However, order has its birth and its death in disorder. Chaos is the womb and the grave of the cosmos.

As we look for patterns, we find them, patterns we alone can see. The pattern one species detects, another may not. There's a pattern for each and every mind, a pattern it alone can see. Each experience is unique. Members of a collective may experience things in common; they may live in a shared cosmos, but even among the collective, each member has an order which is all one's own.

It is this common order which allows for coherence and therefore cohesion in the group. Yet, there are members whose cosmoi may become chaotic. The order they achieved through socialization may break down into disorder or, at least, an order the others may not see. Disintegration of these individuals may cause alarm in members of group; there is no greater fear than chaos or an order not understood. It is like a cancer, unruly, and with its own agenda. The group must suppress disorder, either through reintegration or isolation.

However, the collective, itself, was not always so organized; through its own evolution, it has come from dissociating factors to greater associations. The collective was born out of chaos and will devolve into it, once again. As cultures rise and cultures fall, we see in history examples of order and disorder, cosmos and chaos. In each world, in each galaxy, in each collective, and in each of us, there is a cosmos, a cosmos born out of chaos, an order which has its beginning and its end in the dark night of the depths of our being.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:33:43 AM
This is the most mystical thread I've ever read from you :P

I agree, our minds love looking for patterns. I think, however, this cognitive propensity has served us well.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 4:12:38 AM
This is the most mystical thread I've ever read from you :P

I agree, our minds love looking for patterns. I think, however, this cognitive propensity has served us well.

I agree, but all too often, I believe we underestimate the value found in chaos. Chaos, I believe, is the birthplace of all new order. Cosmos does not exist apart chaos.