Jump to topic:

Transgender bathroom rights

TheShow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 12:49:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Should a person who is biologically a man be able to use the women's bathroom if he identifies as a women and vice versa? I could see there being a problem because it could potentially mean that a man could claim to women and use the women's bathroom and endanger those women. I'm not saying that it would be common, but it's a real possibility. So should trans people use the bathroom based on their biological gender or the one they identify as?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 4:09:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/17/2016 12:49:19 AM, TheShow wrote:
Should a person who is biologically a man be able to use the women's bathroom if he identifies as a women and vice versa? I could see there being a problem because it could potentially mean that a man could claim to women and use the women's bathroom and endanger those women. I'm not saying that it would be common, but it's a real possibility. So should trans people use the bathroom based on their biological gender or the one they identify as?

No. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective, or a sociological perspective. If the person is convincing enough as a transsexual, then they won't even be called on it as long as they don't try to use a urinal. The fact of the matter is that Americans, especially American women, see the bathroom as an intensely private place. For many women in particular, it is supposed to be a sanctuary from the male gaze, and anything which destroys that perception for them isn't worth the happiness of a very tiny minority. When bathrooms were desegregated it didn't destroy their essential function, but removing biological sex as a qualifier would.

This mostly applies to America, though. Most cultures don't share North American holdups about nudity, so it doesn't really matter as much to them.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it. Time in its deeps swims like a monstrous whale; and, like a whale, feeds on the littlest things -- small tunes and little unskilled songs of the olden, golden evenings -- and anon turneth whale-like to overthrow whole ships."
- Lord Dunsany -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -