Jump to topic:

Transgender bathroom rights

TheShow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 12:49:19 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Should a person who is biologically a man be able to use the women's bathroom if he identifies as a women and vice versa? I could see there being a problem because it could potentially mean that a man could claim to women and use the women's bathroom and endanger those women. I'm not saying that it would be common, but it's a real possibility. So should trans people use the bathroom based on their biological gender or the one they identify as?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 4:09:20 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 12:49:19 AM, TheShow wrote:
Should a person who is biologically a man be able to use the women's bathroom if he identifies as a women and vice versa? I could see there being a problem because it could potentially mean that a man could claim to women and use the women's bathroom and endanger those women. I'm not saying that it would be common, but it's a real possibility. So should trans people use the bathroom based on their biological gender or the one they identify as?

No. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective, or a sociological perspective. If the person is convincing enough as a transsexual, then they won't even be called on it as long as they don't try to use a urinal. The fact of the matter is that Americans, especially American women, see the bathroom as an intensely private place. For many women in particular, it is supposed to be a sanctuary from the male gaze, and anything which destroys that perception for them isn't worth the happiness of a very tiny minority. When bathrooms were desegregated it didn't destroy their essential function, but removing biological sex as a qualifier would.

This mostly applies to America, though. Most cultures don't share North American holdups about nudity, so it doesn't really matter as much to them.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -