Prosecutors lose their fight with BLM

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 4:21:48 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
http://www.bbc.com...

"While most of the focus of Tuesday night's primaries was on the battle for the White House, something extraordinary occurred in two local elections. Both Chicago's Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez and Timothy McGinty, the Cuyahoga Prosecuting Attorney in Ohio, lost their bids for re-election.

In Alvarez's case, it was a blow-out - she lost to her opponent almost 2-1.

As the so-called "top cops" in their respective jurisdictions, Alvarez and McGinty made key prosecutorial decisions in the controversial killings of unarmed African Americans by police officers. For Alvarez, it was the death of Laquan McDonald, shot 16 times by former officer Jason Van Dyke in 2014. In Cleveland, McGinty recommended that a grand jury not charge the officers who shot and killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice in a public park.

The Black Lives Matter movement has been criticised for its lack of focus, aversion to a hierarchical structure, and inability to translate rage from street protests into tangible political goals. They have not coalesced behind a presidential candidate, and have disrupted both Democrats Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton at campaign events.

Aislinn Pulley, cofounder of Black Lives Matter Chicago, declined a recent invitation to the White House, deriding it as a "photo opportunity". For those reasons, the movement has often been dismissed as an aimless and empty social media campaign."

Welp.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 4:30:50 PM
At 3/17/2016 4:22:15 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
This probably should've been in politics. Oh well.

Hopefully the replacement killers will dismantle the racist police.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 7:55:29 PM
At 3/17/2016 4:30:50 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/17/2016 4:22:15 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
This probably should've been in politics. Oh well.

Hopefully the replacement killers will dismantle the racist police.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :/
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 8:51:52 PM
At 3/17/2016 4:21:48 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Welp.

Welp indeed.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 12:32:46 AM
Alvarez was at the center of a scandal and the chicago tribune endorsed her opponent. I think in a counter factual world where BLM did not exist she would have lost regardless. I'm not familiar with the other case, but in Alvarez case BLM was not instrumental to her replacement. I'm sure it contributed, but it's a mischarcterization to talk as though This is proof of BLM efficacy.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 1:10:20 AM
At 3/18/2016 12:32:46 AM, Raisor wrote:
Alvarez was at the center of a scandal and the chicago tribune endorsed her opponent.

How much weight do you think the Tribune's endorsement of Alvarez's opponent hold?
A lot?

I think in a counter factual world where BLM did not exist she would have lost regardless. I'm not familiar with the other case, but in Alvarez case BLM was not instrumental to her replacement. I'm sure it contributed, but it's a mischarcterization to talk as though This is proof of BLM efficacy.

I'm inclined to think she wouldn't have lost by nearly as much though. I don't know about in Chicago, but these local elections generally aren't paid much attention to here. Of course, I recognize that there was a more attention on that particular local election because the MacDonald case was nationally broadcast.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 1:23:34 AM
At 3/18/2016 1:10:20 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Alvarez was at the center of a scandal and the chicago tribune endorsed her opponent.

How much weight do you think the Tribune's endorsement of Alvarez's opponent hold?
A lot?

I can think of three people who voted based solely on the Trib's endorsement. I can't think of a single person who has mentioned BLM in relation to the primaries.

I think in a counter factual world where BLM did not exist she would have lost regardless. I'm not familiar with the other case, but in Alvarez case BLM was not instrumental to her replacement. I'm sure it contributed, but it's a mischarcterization to talk as though This is proof of BLM efficacy.

I'm inclined to think she wouldn't have lost by nearly as much though. I don't know about in Chicago, but these local elections generally aren't paid much attention to here. Of course, I recognize that there was a more attention on that particular local election because the MacDonald case was nationally broadcast.

I just don't see how BLM impacted the local election. Maybe they have some ground game to get out the south side vote? A lot of people in chicago know that the real election is the primary, since Dems almost always win the ticket. There is substantial campaigning for the primaries.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 3:07:58 AM

Timothy McGinty, the Cuyahoga Prosecuting Attorney in Ohio, lost their bids for re-election.

In Cleveland, McGinty recommended that a grand jury not charge the officers who shot and killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice in a public park.

Good. That cop should have never worked in police work again at the very least, though I would prefer to have seen him hanging from the gallows.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 12:28:00 AM
At 3/18/2016 3:07:58 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Timothy McGinty, the Cuyahoga Prosecuting Attorney in Ohio, lost their bids for re-election.

In Cleveland, McGinty recommended that a grand jury not charge the officers who shot and killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice in a public park.

Good. That cop should have never worked in police work again at the very least, though I would prefer to have seen him hanging from the gallows.

Agreed.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 12:36:39 AM
Idk why people are heralding this as a victory for Black Lives Matter. It literally had nothing to them.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 12:39:09 AM

Alvarez was thrown under the bus by Rham Emanuel along with the police superintendent Gary McCarthy. That's the source of the scandal.

Rahm's trying to save his @ss and another person's convenient opportunism is what caused this. Black Lives Matter had nothing, at all, to do with her losing reelection, beyond the extent to which as individuals sympathizers of the movement voted for Kim Foxx.

I think in a counter factual world where BLM did not exist she would have lost regardless.

I agree with that assessment, and the electoral results bear that out.

I'm not familiar with the other case, but in Alvarez case BLM was not instrumental to her replacement. I'm sure it contributed, but it's a mischarcterization to talk as though This is proof of BLM efficacy.

This is correct.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 12:51:39 AM
At 3/18/2016 1:23:34 AM, Raisor wrote:

A lot?

I can think of three people who voted based solely on the Trib's endorsement.

What kind of people are these? Regular joes? Academics?

I can't think of a single person who has mentioned BLM in relation to the primaries.

I can. But I imagine I travel in different circles.

I just don't see how BLM impacted the local election. Maybe they have some ground game to get out the south side vote?

I think they did....

A lot of people in chicago know that the real election is the primary, since Dems almost always win the ticket. There is substantial campaigning for the primaries.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 12:57:38 AM
At 3/20/2016 12:51:39 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 3/18/2016 1:23:34 AM, Raisor wrote:

A lot?

I can think of three people who voted based solely on the Trib's endorsement.

What kind of people are these? Regular joes? Academics?

Voters on the South Side of Chicago who only go to the polls when one of their own are running. That's not a race thing, either. It's just reality.

The south side votes as one bloc, and Kim Foxx was their pick. She was hand picked by a party boss from the South Side. Now, she's running the show.

I don't have a problem with it, though. Foxx will probably throw fewer black kids in jail, which is a good thing.

I can't think of a single person who has mentioned BLM in relation to the primaries.

ThinkProgress, MoveOn.org, BuzzFeed, Twitter, etc.