Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Systemic Inequality in the Making

lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 7:29:27 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
"How Black People Are Being Shut Out of America's Weed Boom"

For most jobs, experience will help you get ahead. In the marijuana industry, it"s not that simple. Yes, investors and state governments are eager to hire and license people with expertise in how to cultivate, cure, trim, and process cannabis. But it can"t be someone who got caught. Which for the most part means it can"t be someone who is black.

Even though research shows people of all races are about equally likely to have broken the law by growing, smoking, or selling marijuana, black people are much more likely to have been arrested for it. Black people are much more likely to have ended up with a criminal record because of it. And every state that has legalized medical or recreational marijuana bans people with drug felonies from working at, owning, investing in, or sitting on the board of a cannabis business. After having borne the brunt of the "war on drugs," black Americans are now largely missing out on the economic opportunities created by legalization.

http://www.buzzfeed.com...

I haven't watched the video yet but I assume it's similar to the article.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 7:53:58 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 7:29:27 PM, lamerde wrote:
"How Black People Are Being Shut Out of America's Weed Boom"

For most jobs, experience will help you get ahead. In the marijuana industry, it"s not that simple. Yes, investors and state governments are eager to hire and license people with expertise in how to cultivate, cure, trim, and process cannabis. But it can"t be someone who got caught. Which for the most part means it can"t be someone who is black.

Even though research shows people of all races are about equally likely to have broken the law by growing, smoking, or selling marijuana, black people are much more likely to have been arrested for it. Black people are much more likely to have ended up with a criminal record because of it. And every state that has legalized medical or recreational marijuana bans people with drug felonies from working at, owning, investing in, or sitting on the board of a cannabis business. After having borne the brunt of the "war on drugs," black Americans are now largely missing out on the economic opportunities created by legalization.

http://www.buzzfeed.com...



I haven't watched the video yet but I assume it's similar to the article.

Lol, I agree. Though it isn't because vlacks are targeted unfairly. They are caught more because they are moreblikely to sell drugs in public, as well as be in possession of them in public as opposed to just smoking at home and keeping the weed in your sock drawer.

I say we fix this by allowing whoever the hell feels like it sell drugs, record or not. Unfortunately without the selling point that it will be regulated, we can't legalize it at all.
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 8:23:26 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 7:53:58 PM, Wylted wrote:

We agree. Sound the alarm!
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Fly
Posts: 2,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 8:49:22 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Jay Leno: "So, Snoop, you said awhile ago that you kicked the habit, but now you are toking again. What happened there?"

Snoop Dogg: "It kicked back."
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 9:41:00 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Even if in the past blacks have been caught with marijuana more than whites have despite similar rates, how does this change the fact that the black guy was in fact doing marijuana while illegal? If a black man never had anything to do with marijuana, how could he be arrested for it?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Fly
Posts: 2,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:13:11 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 9:41:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Even if in the past blacks have been caught with marijuana more than whites have despite similar rates, how does this change the fact that the black guy was in fact doing marijuana while illegal? If a black man never had anything to do with marijuana, how could he be arrested for it?

To the first question: it doesn't change the fact. To the second: outside of being framed, he couldn't.

Are these trick questions or... ?
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:18:04 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 10:13:11 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:41:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Even if in the past blacks have been caught with marijuana more than whites have despite similar rates, how does this change the fact that the black guy was in fact doing marijuana while illegal? If a black man never had anything to do with marijuana, how could he be arrested for it?

To the first question: it doesn't change the fact. To the second: outside of being framed, he couldn't.

Are these trick questions or... ?

Your answers are correct. If a black person never possessed or sold marijuana while it was illegal then de facto police discrimination would not have made any difference whatsoever in this case.
I think that the whole "police are being mean to blacks" thing is kind of a red herring designed to shift blame and distort the truth.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Fly
Posts: 2,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:23:48 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 10:18:04 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:13:11 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:41:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Even if in the past blacks have been caught with marijuana more than whites have despite similar rates, how does this change the fact that the black guy was in fact doing marijuana while illegal? If a black man never had anything to do with marijuana, how could he be arrested for it?

To the first question: it doesn't change the fact. To the second: outside of being framed, he couldn't.

Are these trick questions or... ?

Your answers are correct. If a black person never possessed or sold marijuana while it was illegal then de facto police discrimination would not have made any difference whatsoever in this case.
I think that the whole "police are being mean to blacks" thing is kind of a red herring designed to shift blame and distort the truth.

If everybody naturally obeyed the law, then we wouldn't need a criminal justice system-- if you are into pointless if-then hypotheticals as you seem to be.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:26:36 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 10:23:48 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:18:04 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:13:11 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:41:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Even if in the past blacks have been caught with marijuana more than whites have despite similar rates, how does this change the fact that the black guy was in fact doing marijuana while illegal? If a black man never had anything to do with marijuana, how could he be arrested for it?

To the first question: it doesn't change the fact. To the second: outside of being framed, he couldn't.

Are these trick questions or... ?

Your answers are correct. If a black person never possessed or sold marijuana while it was illegal then de facto police discrimination would not have made any difference whatsoever in this case.
I think that the whole "police are being mean to blacks" thing is kind of a red herring designed to shift blame and distort the truth.

If everybody naturally obeyed the law, then we wouldn't need a criminal justice system-- if you are into pointless if-then hypotheticals as you seem to be.

You act as though there is no way to reduce or prevent crime in America.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Fly
Posts: 2,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:30:42 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 10:26:36 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:23:48 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:18:04 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:13:11 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:41:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Even if in the past blacks have been caught with marijuana more than whites have despite similar rates, how does this change the fact that the black guy was in fact doing marijuana while illegal? If a black man never had anything to do with marijuana, how could he be arrested for it?

To the first question: it doesn't change the fact. To the second: outside of being framed, he couldn't.

Are these trick questions or... ?

Your answers are correct. If a black person never possessed or sold marijuana while it was illegal then de facto police discrimination would not have made any difference whatsoever in this case.
I think that the whole "police are being mean to blacks" thing is kind of a red herring designed to shift blame and distort the truth.

If everybody naturally obeyed the law, then we wouldn't need a criminal justice system-- if you are into pointless if-then hypotheticals as you seem to be.

You act as though there is no way to reduce or prevent crime in America.

That's news to me-- and to the English language.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 1:40:48 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 7:29:27 PM, lamerde wrote:
"How Black People Are Being Shut Out of America's Weed Boom"

For most jobs, experience will help you get ahead. In the marijuana industry, it"s not that simple. Yes, investors and state governments are eager to hire and license people with expertise in how to cultivate, cure, trim, and process cannabis. But it can"t be someone who got caught. Which for the most part means it can"t be someone who is black.

Even though research shows people of all races are about equally likely to have broken the law by growing, smoking, or selling marijuana, black people are much more likely to have been arrested for it. Black people are much more likely to have ended up with a criminal record because of it. And every state that has legalized medical or recreational marijuana bans people with drug felonies from working at, owning, investing in, or sitting on the board of a cannabis business. After having borne the brunt of the "war on drugs," black Americans are now largely missing out on the economic opportunities created by legalization.

http://www.buzzfeed.com...



I haven't watched the video yet but I assume it's similar to the article.

All in all it's an attempt to destroy the underground economy. I don't want it legalized for these reasons. I haven't gotten a good high, for years - because it is a substance that links your "vibe" to others who smoke from the same batch. I quit as a result of not being able to obtain it from sources that are like minded. The medicinal sh!t is the worst - as far as vibes go - and with the possibility of it becoming even more regulated like alcohol and tobacco are, it will become a european dominated corporatocracy, if it is legalized. The medicinal strains should be focusing on making strains contain more CBD that helps with pain not more THC that makes your head cloudy. https://www.whaxy.com...
I didn't access this page cuz it prompted me some bullsh!t!

That's just my thoughts
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 2:05:43 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/18/2016 1:43:53 AM, Torton wrote:
Lol buzzfeed.

Do you have more than an ad hominem attack?
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 10:06:54 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Even though research shows people of all races are about equally likely to have broken the law by growing, smoking, or selling marijuana, black people are much more likely to have been arrested for it.

The report they gave cites self-report surveys on drug use. Of course, their results are largely meaningless (here) since blacks disproportionately lie in them.

Let's be generous, though. After all, there are many other reasons as to why blacks could commit drug offenses as often as whites, but still get charged at a higher rate. And they don't have to involve invisible and amorphous "systems of racism".

Maybe someone should check how many of those drug charges are additional.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw