Jump to topic:

Bad Teacher?

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:49:20 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Should this teacher be removed from the education system, or left because she was "expressing her opinion" and did not actively threaten anyone?

The Naparima College teacher embroiled in controversy over a recording in which she calls for the shooting deaths of atheists and disparaging gays remains at the school as the Education Ministry probes the case. The teacher is, however, not allowed to interface with pupils. Ministry officials said the teacher was required to be at the San Fernando school as the investigation is being conducted, but would not attend classes until a decision is taken by the ministry. The woman is heard discussing homosexuality with her pupils. She likened homosexuals to atheists (people who deny or disbelieve in the existence of God). She said, "You see me, give me a gun and I will fix all the problems in the world. I will shoot both of them first and then their offspring. Do not tell me there is not a God."
Excerpt from http://www.trinidadexpress.com...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:52:53 PM
The teacher's entire rant:
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:53:56 PM
"I took a thrashing from the teachers yesterday. And I bring this to you all for you all to see the level of struggle that we face. Just as I am a teacher, I am a parent. I treat with my children at home the same way I treat with the students here. So do not as a teacher come to me and say, "Miss, you cannot have an assembly like that because the American Psychological Association says..."
"From the time you put "American" there I will say pack your so-and-so bags and go America... that being gay is a disposition that you are born with. Therefore it is acceptable children, people do not become gay just so and that was not my point. My issue is when you turn 18 or 21 and you out there, you can take a man, you can take a woman, you can take a dog, a cat, a goat, a sheep, I don"t care. You"re a grown man and you make a grown man decision. When you are here as a child, it is my obligation to protect you from what are wrong things," she said.
Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com...
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:57:30 PM
Nikesha Dublin-Fraser:
"So it appears that the problem is not so much what she said is how she said it ? or is it both.However , which ever it is, something clearly wrong with the hearing of some of you all. This teacher said nothing that is not true and what is actually taking place in most schools in T&T right now. where are the concern youth group coming to talk to the students about their sexuality and the choices they make in life.But want to come down on the teaching for saying the truth. Miss i would like to shake your hand."

Emi Reid:
"I am pretty sure she could have told them that homosexuality is wrong without saying that she could fix all the problems in the world if you gave her a gun, and that she'd shoot the parents and the offspring. It may not be a hate speech but it damn well is inappropriate and disrespectful."

Kevin Walcott
"*stueps* Is everything from the west trinis want to adopt? There is a growing trend where if anyone says something you disagree with it is considered hate speech. Social justice warriors, political correctness and feminism. Those are cults that would put Jim Jones to shame. She ain't say anything hateful. She expressed her opinion in an effort to give her student more information so they could make better decisions hat will affect their lives. What teachers are supposed to do. So she's against homosexuality. So what? *stueps*"

Shiva Alexander
"She said irreligious people and their offspring should be shot. What do you define as hate speech if not declaring a group you dislike should be purged?"

Sources: http://www.looptt.com...
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 7:30:20 PM
Yeah, that is not someone that should be teaching.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 7:34:30 PM
At 3/18/2016 6:53:56 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
"From the time you put "American" there I will say pack your so-and-so bags and go America..."

Do you know what that is?

https://media0.giphy.com...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 10:33:46 PM
At 3/18/2016 6:49:20 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Should this teacher be removed from the education system, or left because she was "expressing her opinion" and did not actively threaten anyone?

The Naparima College teacher embroiled in controversy over a recording in which she calls for the shooting deaths of atheists and disparaging gays remains at the school as the Education Ministry probes the case. The teacher is, however, not allowed to interface with pupils. Ministry officials said the teacher was required to be at the San Fernando school as the investigation is being conducted, but would not attend classes until a decision is taken by the ministry. The woman is heard discussing homosexuality with her pupils. She likened homosexuals to atheists (people who deny or disbelieve in the existence of God). She said, "You see me, give me a gun and I will fix all the problems in the world. I will shoot both of them first and then their offspring. Do not tell me there is not a God."

Give a little more context. Did she say it in front of students or was it something that she said in private but was recorded by somebody and made public without her consent? Or was it something like a Facebook post?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 11:27:36 PM
At 3/18/2016 10:33:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Give a little more context. Did she say it in front of students or was it something that she said in private but was recorded by somebody and made public without her consent? Or was it something like a Facebook post?

She said it to students, and it was recorded.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 12:19:49 AM

IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN, one of the two happened:
1. She had a "homophobic" rant in assembly. That was the rant. So yes, in front of students.
2. She had a "homophobic" rant in assembly, which she was reprimanded for by other teachers and the principal. The video was recorded when she was discussing it with her students.

EITHER WAY: You can *literally* hear the students talking in the video. So yes, she was speaking to students.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:50:27 AM
At 3/19/2016 12:19:49 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN, one of the two happened:
1. She had a "homophobic" rant in assembly. That was the rant. So yes, in front of students.
2. She had a "homophobic" rant in assembly, which she was reprimanded for by other teachers and the principal. The video was recorded when she was discussing it with her students.

EITHER WAY: You can *literally* hear the students talking in the video. So yes, she was speaking to students.

Yeah then, she should probably be fired. She went far beyond simply expressing disagreement with another belief system.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 7:25:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com...

A teacher is supposed to try to objectively teach. Providing a biased, offensive, and violent viewpoint to students is deplorable and unacceptable. In my highschool a teacher couldn't even post a picture of themselves drinking at a party. This rant clearly crosses the line.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 3:19:44 AM
That teacher threatened violence. That is generally enough to remove someone from the profession, or at least it should be.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...