North Carolina passes Toilet bill

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:05:33 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
http://www.nytimes.com...

It appears the state of North Carolina has cleared all the pressing issues from its docket; now that its tea bagging sh!t governor has destroyed public education, public universities are starving, and seniors cannot afford food or medicine, we've really gotten to the point that the most pressing issues can be dealt with: passing bills to make sure that people are only going to the bathroom that corresponds to their birth gender.

This is laughably idiotic....
Tsar of DDO
Romaniii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 5:45:28 AM
Dammit.

I saw the words "Toilet bill" and was hoping it would about be a piece of legislation requiring all public bathroom stalls to be destroyed and replaced with new stalls that don't have massive cracks in them. It's a huge problem. And it needs fixing. Seriously.

https://c2.staticflickr.com...

Like, come on... China, Japan, and Mexico all have way better stalls than we do. This is an essential part of making America great again.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 5:51:12 AM
This is an unacceptable rejection of the transgender community as a whole, and I find it to be arbitrarily unjust.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 2:26:05 PM
At 3/24/2016 4:05:33 AM, YYW wrote:

It appears the state of North Carolina has cleared all the pressing issues from its docket; now that its tea bagging sh!t governor has destroyed public education, public universities are starving, and seniors cannot afford food or medicine, we've really gotten to the point that the most pressing issues can be dealt with: passing bills to make sure that people are only going to the bathroom that corresponds to their birth gender.

I'm just curious, why do you disagree with the bathroom thing?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 2:35:28 PM
Here's my take on it. I think if you are born a male, you should be using a male bathroom or you use the public washroom where all genders use them, or you use a trans specific bathroom. I do not want a male to go into a female's bathroom, nor do I want a female into a males bathroom. They are designed specifically for that sex, not gender. Anybody can claim to be transgender and go into an opposite sex bathroom. This is just awkward for both people. Transgenders will also face more trouble (as if they don't already) and people will start accusing them as sex offenders or something.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 2:46:23 PM
At 3/24/2016 2:26:05 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

I think it's a stupid waste of time; not only was this bill totally idiotic (meaning that there was no reason to pass it), there were strong reasons NOT to pass it. Simply, trans people are not hurting anyone. If this law carries, if you're trans, you can face legal consequence for going to a public bathroom in North Carolina that corresponds with your gender.
Tsar of DDO
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 2:50:50 PM
At 3/24/2016 2:46:23 PM, YYW wrote:

I think it's a stupid waste of time; not only was this bill totally idiotic (meaning that there was no reason to pass it), there were strong reasons NOT to pass it. Simply, trans people are not hurting anyone. If this law carries, if you're trans, you can face legal consequence for going to a public bathroom in North Carolina that corresponds with your gender.

I think the problem is most people find it uncomfortable or awkward that some guy of opposite sex is coming into the bathroom. It could also lead more negative opinions on the trans community.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 2:51:10 PM
At 3/24/2016 2:50:50 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 3/24/2016 2:46:23 PM, YYW wrote:

I think the problem is most people find it uncomfortable or awkward that some guy of opposite sex is coming into the bathroom. It could also lead more negative opinions on the trans community.

or girl
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 2:54:17 PM

It is truly great to see that our tax payer money is being put to great use
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 3:30:46 PM
I live in NC.
Glad to see the important issues are being taken care of.

...just kidding...what the actual fck?
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 3:31:00 PM

Its a freaking toilet. People are just trying to take a dump, is this really the best use of anyone's time?
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:25:59 PM

What is uncomfortable about it?

When I've talked to people about their discomfort with transwomen in the women's bathroom, they seem to be okay with those who are post-op or those who are "passable" as women. The problem with that is (1) not everyone has the privilege or opportunity to undergo surgery, (2) there's no real reason why they should have to, and (3) our society has this obsession with transpeople passing and being attractive in a way that's above and beyond what we expect of anyone else.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:32:55 PM
At 3/24/2016 4:25:59 PM, lamerde wrote:

What is uncomfortable about it?

When I've talked to people about their discomfort with transwomen in the women's bathroom, they seem to be okay with those who are post-op or those who are "passable" as women. The problem with that is (1) not everyone has the privilege or opportunity to undergo surgery, (2) there's no real reason why they should have to, and (3) our society has this obsession with transpeople passing and being attractive in a way that's above and beyond what we expect of anyone else.

Unisex is the solution.
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:36:28 PM
At 3/24/2016 4:32:55 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Unisex is the solution.

As long as there are no urinals, sure. I've been in men's bathrooms and they are always so gross. I don't even understand the purpose of a urinal and why anyone would want to use them instead of a stall :/
Why I ignore YYW:
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 8:22:54 PM
I try to not use public restrooms. Whenever I have to, I try to make sure that the bathroom in question is empty and I use the stall at the far corner and try to be quick in case somebody else enters. I absolutely hate using crowded restrooms.

As for transgender people, though, there isn't just the risk of men entering women's bathrooms and causing trouble. There's also the risk of women entering men's restrooms being harassed or even raped.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 8:46:30 PM
At 3/24/2016 8:44:51 PM, Burzmali wrote:
So who's job is it to check restroom patrons for the appropriate genitalia?

Also, what is a person of the "wrong" sex going to do in a bathroom that would be acceptable if done by a member of the "right" sex?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 5:16:29 PM
At 3/24/2016 2:35:28 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
Here's my take on it. I think if you are born a male, you should be using a male bathroom or you use the public washroom where all genders use them, or you use a trans specific bathroom. I do not want a male to go into a female's bathroom, nor do I want a female into a males bathroom. They are designed specifically for that sex, not gender. Anybody can claim to be transgender and go into an opposite sex bathroom. This is just awkward for both people. Transgenders will also face more trouble (as if they don't already) and people will start accusing them as sex offenders or something.

So someone who took took hormones prior to puberty and went through gender reassignment surgery and looks like a male should walk in a woman's bathroom because they are a girl on birth certificate? How is that not akward?

This nothing more than rightwing political correctness because they are so prudish.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 5:17:47 PM
At 3/25/2016 5:16:29 PM, slo1 wrote:

So someone who took took hormones prior to puberty and went through gender reassignment surgery and looks like a male should walk in a woman's bathroom because they are a girl on birth certificate? How is that not akward?

This nothing more than rightwing political correctness because they are so prudish.

If the majority of them are like that, then I would agree.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 9:47:56 PM
At 3/25/2016 5:17:47 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Excellent, I'm going to alter my birth certificate to female and use the ladies restroom when in Georgia.

The saddest thing about the right's obsession with bathrooms is that their hatred puts blinders on so they can't even think straight.

They manufacture fear of a man dressing as a woman to rape and molest women, but don't consider a man forging their birth certificate and hanging in the woman's rest room. Both are rather contrived, but haters gonna hate and not think straight.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 9:50:24 PM
At 3/25/2016 9:47:56 PM, slo1 wrote:

Excellent, I'm going to alter my birth certificate to female and use the ladies restroom when in Georgia.

The saddest thing about the right's obsession with bathrooms is that their hatred puts blinders on so they can't even think straight.

They manufacture fear of a man dressing as a woman to rape and molest women, but don't consider a man forging their birth certificate and hanging in the woman's rest room. Both are rather contrived, but haters gonna hate and not think straight.

Personally I don't give 2 sh*ts about this, because I'm one of those guys who use their own bathrooms. I can understand why some people would feel uncomfortable, that's all I'm saying.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2016 1:44:56 AM

Seeing as how forging a birth certificate is a criminal act, that's like saying "All ID requirements are stupid because anyone could just forge one and commit X criminal act without fearing any form of repercussion." In reality, if you forge an ID in any situation you could face jail time. Birth Certificate is simply a form of ID in this instance.

The DDO Blog:

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 1:31:40 PM
At 3/26/2016 1:44:56 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Seeing as how forging a birth certificate is a criminal act, that's like saying "All ID requirements are stupid because anyone could just forge one and commit X criminal act without fearing any form of repercussion." In reality, if you forge an ID in any situation you could face jail time. Birth Certificate is simply a form of ID in this instance.

Well, you just single handedly defeated the governor's justification of requiring a bathroom law which is that men will dress as women, go in bathrooms, and rape women and girls, which is also a criminal act.

The simple fact is that government is not going to protect women in bathrooms, which is why this law is simply more fear mongering as a cover to hate against a group of people that radical Christian right feels is immoral.

In other terms let's just call a duck a duck and stop the public safety lies.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 2:26:48 PM

I'm just here because I saw NC and Toilet Bill.
Also, XD I just read the article. Aren't our priorities great?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:12:13 PM
At 3/28/2016 1:31:40 PM, slo1 wrote:

Well, you just single handedly defeated the governor's justification of requiring a bathroom law which is that men will dress as women, go in bathrooms, and rape women and girls, which is also a criminal act.

The simple fact is that government is not going to protect women in bathrooms, which is why this law is simply more fear mongering as a cover to hate against a group of people that radical Christian right feels is immoral.

You're assuming that nobody could ever be convicted under such a rule. Blatant transsexuals could be caught; if a person is talking on the phone in the women's bathroom and "her" voice is far too deep to be that of a woman, that person could be reported.
The idea that the government could never catch such people is absurd.

The DDO Blog:

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 7:11:38 PM
At 3/28/2016 5:12:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

You're assuming that nobody could ever be convicted under such a rule. Blatant transsexuals could be caught; if a person is talking on the phone in the women's bathroom and "her" voice is far too deep to be that of a woman, that person could be reported.

What are you talking about? A man dresses as a woman for the expressed purpose of infiltrating the bathroom to rape women would be on the phone? Huh?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 7:15:21 PM
At 3/28/2016 7:11:38 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/28/2016 5:12:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

What are you talking about? A man dresses as a woman for the expressed purpose of infiltrating the bathroom to rape women would be on the phone? Huh?

I was merely citing one possible way out of dozens to detect a transsexual in the wrong bathroom.

The DDO Blog:

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 8:50:01 PM
At 3/24/2016 8:44:51 PM, Burzmali wrote:
So who's job is it to check restroom patrons for the appropriate genitalia?
lol ;)
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 9:17:11 AM
I'm genuinely surprised that tajshar2k holds such a view on this topic.

I don't even find it debatable.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass