Coddled students not the problem, bigots are

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 9:53:11 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
https://www.washingtonpost.com...

Ferentz Lafargue writes "The imaginary college student is a character born of someone else"s pessimism. It is an easy target, a perverse distillation of all the self-regard and self-absorption ascribed to what"s often called the millennial generation. But perhaps it goes both ways, and the reason that college stories have garnered so much attention this year is our general suspicion, within the real world, that the system no longer works."

"To be sure, the real world is full of anti-Semitism, homophobia, sexism and racism. The question is: Do we prepare students to accept the world as it is, or do we prepare them to change it?"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 10:16:10 PM
At 3/28/2016 9:53:11 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Ferentz Lafargue writes "The imaginary college student is a character born of someone else"s pessimism. It is an easy target, a perverse distillation of all the self-regard and self-absorption ascribed to what"s often called the millennial generation. But perhaps it goes both ways, and the reason that college stories have garnered so much attention this year is our general suspicion, within the real world, that the system no longer works."

"To be sure, the real world is full of anti-Semitism, homophobia, sexism and racism. The question is: Do we prepare students to accept the world as it is, or do we prepare them to change it?"

Yes, coddled students plus the burden of dealing with bigots is entirely unacceptable.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 10:49:18 PM
There's a difference between fighting for social justice and purging your surroundings of everything you find offensive. No one's saying that students should be expected to sit around while injustice goes on, they're saying that students should develop tolerance for differing opinions without immediately rushing to silence them, and that colleges should aid them in this task as opposed to leading them in the opposite direction, as they're doing now.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 10:49:37 PM

That argument would hold water if students were actually protesting bigotry. But they aren't; they're labeling speech which they disagree with as 'bigotry' and then attempting to have it stifled or silenced. Christina Hoff Sommers isn't a bigot. Paul Nathanson isn't a bigot. Janice Fiamengo isn't a bigot. Germain fvkcing Greer isn't a bigot. They're intellectual opposition. The students, on the other hand, who are unwilling to even listen to opposing arguments, are by definition bigots. People who label anyone who disagrees with them a 'bigot' are engaging in a particularly ironic form of bigotry, which is why I don't really take the author of this article seriously at all.

No one disagrees with a student confronting abject hostility and racism. They just think that it's absurd when students freak out over someone writing 'Trump 2016' on a sidewalk in chalk. Or become offending by a building named after Woodrow Wilson. Or over the fact that colleges have 'masters'. Or when they attempt to enforce an echo chamber on a student body which, in many cases, came to college to widen their horizons, not narrow them.

And purpose of a college university is not to tell students how to change the world, it's to help them to understand it. Each person decides for themselves how they'd like to leave their mark.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 11:14:01 PM
Hee hee hee...the Washington Post is...total garbage. It's official now.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:02:28 AM

This is an excellent thread. I saw the Post piece this morning... will comment later.
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:09:19 AM
At 3/28/2016 11:14:01 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Before getting into the article in more detail, I'm just curious about this quote here.

I remember 3 years ago, an engaging debate I had with RoyLatham (http://www.debate.org...), where he argued extensively that Politifact is biased.

A key part of his argument was that "By Washington Post standards, Politifact is biased" and while he may not have proved bias, I do agree with him that Washington Post is more right-wing than Politifact. He held it up as a more neutral, and prestigious newspaper.

So, it surprises me that conservatives are now arguing that even the Washington Post is biased. Why is it that conservatives can't accept that their party is called out by the media and by fact-checkers simply because they lie more? When, politifact called them out, Politifact is biased compared to Washington Post.

Today, the general trend amond conservatives has been that even the Washington Post itself is biased.

It seems more like reality has a liberal bias.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:09:39 AM
There is absolutely nothing "imaginary" about such a characterization. Refer to the cases of E. O. Wilson and Arthur Jensen.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:13:22 AM
At 3/29/2016 12:09:19 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Before getting into the article in more detail, I'm just curious about this quote here.

I remember 3 years ago, an engaging debate I had with RoyLatham (http://www.debate.org...), where he argued extensively that Politifact is biased.

A key part of his argument was that "By Washington Post standards, Politifact is biased" and while he may not have proved bias, I do agree with him that Washington Post is more right-wing than Politifact. He held it up as a more neutral, and prestigious newspaper.

So, it surprises me that conservatives are now arguing that even the Washington Post is biased. Why is it that conservatives can't accept that their party is called out by the media and by fact-checkers simply because they lie more? When, politifact called them out, Politifact is biased compared to Washington Post.

Today, the general trend amond conservatives has been that even the Washington Post itself is biased.

Not that it's terribly relevant to your OP, but the Washington Post, which was once a highly regarded newspaper, is terribly biased. Just look at how they've been reporting the Democratic primary.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:16:22 AM
At 3/29/2016 12:13:22 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Not that it's terribly relevant to your OP, but the Washington Post, which was once a highly regarded newspaper, is terribly biased. Just look at how they've been reporting the Democratic primary.

What is your opinion on which way it leans?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:17:57 AM
At 3/29/2016 12:16:22 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

It is extremely pro Hillary.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:18:10 AM
At 3/29/2016 12:16:22 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Between left and right? Probably center-left. Possibly libertarian.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:32:36 AM

Am i bigot if I refute Naziism? Am I a bigot if I refute Islam? (Seeing Naziism literally came from Islam). Google it.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:56:25 AM
At 3/29/2016 12:09:19 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

The media IS biased! Very biased. They'll almost always cite Liberal think tanks and studies that favor Liberal positions. I can assure you that there are Conservative think tanks and studies that support Conservative positions but these will rarely be cited.
The MSM will almost unilaterally declare that restrictions on refugees is a bad idea or unamerican instead of taking a fair "Liberals argue refugees from A should be let in because of X while Conservatives argue refugees from A should not be let in because of Y" stance. Media coverage of the the Oregon militia standoff was overwhelming against the militia; it did everything in its power to paint a narrative of them being in the wrong rather than reporting on the standoff impartially. Whenever the media takes a side it is biased by definition.
What's worse is that people take a general "Fox News is biased, the Huffington Post is biased, but sources like the New York Times or the Washington Post can be trusted as 100% accurate and unbiased" view whenever this in fact is not the case. As a result they fail to recognize bias in the articles released by these papers and they accept whatever is written as gospel truth. Worse than this even is the "Sources like the Huffington Post have a progressive slant but they're still trustworthy while Right-leaning sources cannot be trusted" view that many moderates take. As such, even a "Both sides are free to make their own newspapers" system has proven unfair.
I'm generally a believer in the free market, but the free market has failed to bring about a fair media. As a result I believe that there should be federal regulations on the press to eliminate bias; I also believe that if this does not happen then a massive campaign of terrorist action against the media by Right-Wing groups would be justified.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:59:35 AM
The media bashed the GOP candidate in 2008 and 2012 and now it's doing the same thing in 2016 (and not just Donald Trump). This gives the Dems a big and unfair boost in Presidential elections. Its criticism of Congress has has been magnified ever since the GOP took control of both houses.

The DDO Blog:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:01:41 AM
At 3/29/2016 12:59:35 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The media bashed the GOP candidate in 2008 and 2012 and now it's doing the same thing in 2016 (and not just Donald Trump). This gives the Dems a big and unfair boost in Presidential elections. Its criticism of Congress has has been magnified ever since the GOP took control of both houses.

Probably has something to do with the GOP in Congress being more obstructive than any other major group ever in American policts.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:04:06 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:01:41 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Probably has something to do with the GOP in Congress being more obstructive than any other major group ever in American policts.

Many people may believe that the current GOP-controlled congress is acting unusually bad. But others do not share this sentiment. In any case it is not the media's job to tell you who's good and who's bad.

The DDO Blog:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:08:01 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:04:06 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Many people may believe that the current GOP-controlled congress is acting unusually bad. But others do not share this sentiment. In any case it is not the media's job to tell you who's good and who's bad.

It's not an opinion. Never in history has a party been this obstructionist.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:17:06 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:08:01 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Gay marriage is without a doubt something that should be banned in the United States and I believe this will all my heart as do all my Evangelical buddies. Declaring it while wholeheartedly believing in my claim gives me the right to ban it on the behalf of everyone in America!

The DDO Blog:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:18:35 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:17:06 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Gay marriage is without a doubt something that should be banned in the United States and I believe this will all my heart as do all my Evangelical buddies. Declaring it while wholeheartedly believing in my claim gives me the right to ban it on the behalf of everyone in America!

The difference being that you can factually go back through every Congress in history and see that what I'm saying is true.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:18:47 AM
Obama is the WORSTEST president in American history! I believe it and so do many Conservatives! That gives us the right to assassinate him!

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:21:51 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:18:35 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

The difference being that you can factually go back through every Congress in history and see that what I'm saying is true.

So you look through all congressional records; what could you factually prove by doing so?

The DDO Blog:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:23:25 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:21:51 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

So you look through all congressional records; what could you factually prove by doing so?

You factually prove that this GOP is the most obstructionist, partisan, and unwilling to compromise in US history. Which suggests that criticisms of it from the mainstream news are justified.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:28:14 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:23:25 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

You factually prove that this GOP is the most obstructionist, partisan, and unwilling to compromise in US history. Which suggests that criticisms of it from the mainstream news are justified.

You could perhaps prove that they voted down the highest number of bills of any congress. But by what objective standard can you declare this bad? What if they've done a good job of striking down bad bills? What right have you (referring to an imaginary journalist) to only have your side of the story presented to the nation?

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:32:29 AM
Where there is media bias, debate ends.

The DDO Blog:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:34:27 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:28:14 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

You could perhaps prove that they voted down the highest number of bills of any congress. But by what objective standard can you declare this bad? What if they've done a good job of striking down bad bills? What right have you (referring to an imaginary journalist) to only have your side of the story presented to the nation?

Whether the bills were good or bad does nothing to alter the fact that it's still obstructionist, partisan, and unwilling to compromise.
Of course, it's nearly impossible for every bill to have been bad.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:38:59 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:34:27 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Whether the bills were good or bad does nothing to alter the fact that it's still obstructionist, partisan, and unwilling to compromise.

The word "obstructionist" has a universally negative connotation, which is why another word should be used instead; what cannot be objectively stated is that what the congressional GOP's behavior is "bad" overall.

The DDO Blog:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:41:56 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:38:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The word "obstructionist" has a universally negative connotation, which is why another word should be used instead; what cannot be objectively stated is that what the congressional GOP's behavior is "bad" overall.

I can think of a few government shutdowns which are bad.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:44:04 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:41:56 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Can it be said that the shutdowns took place for a bad reason?

The DDO Blog:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:45:54 AM
At 3/29/2016 1:44:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/29/2016 1:41:56 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Can it be said that the shutdowns took place for a bad reason?

A failure to pass a budget? Yeah.