Jump to topic:

The sexist use of Mr, Mrs, miss and master

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 6:41:05 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
In western society all men are referred to by the title or Mr. Women meanwhile are addressed as Mrs if they are married or miss if they are not married. This is clearly a sexist system.

Men are addressed as Mr throughout their lives, with the term master only occasionally applied. Women meanwhile are either labelled miss or Mrs. This is unfair as it allows other people to know if a particular woman is married or not. The use of miss or Mrs serves no purpose other than its traditional use for allowing men to know if a woman is married or not and therefore available to pursue.

It creates a stigma for older unmarried women who are referred by the term miss even when in their senior years. It also can be used by anyone to find out if a woman is married or not just by looking at their title. A woman needs to write/state ms, Mrs or miss on every form they fill in revealing their marital status while men just put Mr and don't reveal their marital status.

Here are two better options.

1. Just give all women the title Mrs regardless of marital status.

2. Give boys the title master and change to Mr upon reaching adulthood, give girls the title miss and change to Mrs upon reaching adulthood.

This could actually be useful as it would allow children to be determined from adults which would be beneficial in numerous settings.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 7:57:29 PM
At 4/6/2016 6:41:05 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
In western society all men are referred to by the title or Mr. Women meanwhile are addressed as Mrs if they are married or miss if they are not married. This is clearly a sexist system.

Men are addressed as Mr throughout their lives, with the term master only occasionally applied. Women meanwhile are either labelled miss or Mrs. This is unfair as it allows other people to know if a particular woman is married or not. The use of miss or Mrs serves no purpose other than its traditional use for allowing men to know if a woman is married or not and therefore available to pursue.

It creates a stigma for older unmarried women who are referred by the term miss even when in their senior years. It also can be used by anyone to find out if a woman is married or not just by looking at their title. A woman needs to write/state ms, Mrs or miss on every form they fill in revealing their marital status while men just put Mr and don't reveal their marital status.

2. Give boys the title master and change to Mr upon reaching adulthood, give girls the title miss and change to Mrs upon reaching adulthood.

This could actually be useful as it would allow children to be determined from adults which would be beneficial in numerous settings.

The use of Ms as a title for all women has been around since the 1700s or so.
It's use was most recently revived about 1901, or 1971, depending on perspective I suppose.

I like this idea better, since Mrs is already in use with a different meaning than you suggest. Easier to learn, rather than unlearn, and relearn.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 10:23:05 PM
At 4/6/2016 7:57:29 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

It's use was most recently revived about 1901, or 1971, depending on perspective I suppose.

I like this idea better, since Mrs is already in use with a different meaning than you suggest. Easier to learn, rather than unlearn, and relearn.

Yes using ms would be fine. I don't mind what title is used, my problem is the use of different titles for married and unmarried women. It serves no purpose and is clearly sexist. This needs changing.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 10:52:35 PM
At 4/6/2016 10:23:05 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Yes using ms would be fine. I don't mind what title is used, my problem is the use of different titles for married and unmarried women. It serves no purpose and is clearly sexist. This needs changing.

I was pretty happy some of my high school teachers used Ms. instead of Mrs. While I'm sure the titles have sexist origins, they are no longer used for anything of that nature. A modern Ms. is equal to a Mr. is equal to a Mrs.

Would you be happy if we called unmarried gentlemen such as myself by an unmarried title? I'd be cool with that. Lets make one.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 11:00:55 PM
At 4/6/2016 10:52:35 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I was pretty happy some of my high school teachers used Ms. instead of Mrs. While I'm sure the titles have sexist origins, they are no longer used for anything of that nature. A modern Ms. is equal to a Mr. is equal to a Mrs.

Would you be happy if we called unmarried gentlemen such as myself by an unmarried title? I'd be cool with that. Lets make one.

No I oppose that. It would discriminate unfairly against unmarried men. Titles should have no relation to marriage. If someone uses ms people assume they are divorced or unmarried. A universal term for adults should be used not related to marital status.

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 11:12:11 PM
At 4/6/2016 11:00:55 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

No I oppose that. It would discriminate unfairly against unmarried men. Titles should have no relation to marriage. If someone uses ms people assume they are divorced or unmarried. A universal term for adults should be used not related to marital status.

How would it discriminate against them? Its just a title.

The only way discrimination could occur is if we favored the state of being married or unmarried, which is no longer an issue in our society....And if it was an issue. Discrimination was the problem, not the title.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 11:56:25 PM
At 4/6/2016 11:12:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

The only way discrimination could occur is if we favored the state of being married or unmarried, which is no longer an issue in our society....And if it was an issue. Discrimination was the problem, not the title.

Imagine an old man who never married. Would it not be unfair to title him master?

It serves no purpose. What advantage is obtained from giving someone a title based on marital status?

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 1:13:01 AM

I think that overlooks the more significant fact that traditionally a married woman takes the name her husband. Indeed, until relatively recently if Mary Jones married John Smith her name would be 'Mrs John Smith' at least officially. I am not a woman, so I don't know if having people know my marital status from my title is signficant or not. In any case, Ms is perfectly acceptable substitute for Miss or Mrs so if there is an issue about Miss/Mrs it has already been solved.

I have also noted that married men these days wear weddings rings. I think this girly practice should be banned immediately.

I quite like the Sikh system. On adulthood all Sikh men get the name 'Singh' (ie Lion) and all women get the rather charming name of 'Princess' (Kaur). So I would now be Lion Keith (or Lion KeithProsser to distingish me from all the other Lion Keiths) and Chloe8 would be Princess Chloe8 (at least I imagine so - I am inferring gender from the name) - a name she would not alter when she married - why would she want to?
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 2:04:45 AM

What precentage would it be of
how many of you from whatever
your country is that hate american
culture?
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 7:47:05 AM

Dripping cunt.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 8:03:35 AM
At 4/7/2016 7:47:05 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

Dripping cunt.

Hahaha

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 8:14:21 AM
At 4/7/2016 1:13:01 AM, keithprosser wrote:

I think that overlooks the more significant fact that traditionally a married woman takes the name her husband.

Tradition does not make something right. There are many examples of traditional sexism.

Indeed, until relatively recently if Mary Jones married John Smith her name would be 'Mrs John Smith' at least officially.

Agree that's what traditionally happened but I also find that unfair. However women can choose not to change their surname after marriage so I can't really complain.

I am not a woman, so I don't know if having people know my marital status from my title is signficant or not. In any case, Ms is perfectly acceptable substitute for Miss or Mrs so if there is an issue about Miss/Mrs it has already been solved.

It is significant. You are introduced as Mrs or miss with all the natural judgment that comes with it before people even know you. Ms is not at present a solution. If someone states ms people assume they are old and unmarried or divorced.

I have also noted that married men these days wear weddings rings. I think this girly practice should be banned immediately.

Why an earth would you ban men from wearing wedding rings? If they want to then it's their choice. Personally I find the thought of a woman wearing a wedding ring and her husband not wearing one unfair and sexist. I actually oppose wedding rings as it allows others to determine your marital status. It's a way for men to claim possession of women. But if people want to wear them they should be allowed too.

I quite like the Sikh system. On adulthood all Sikh men get the name 'Singh' (ie Lion) and all women get the rather charming name of 'Princess' (Kaur). So I would now be Lion Keith (or Lion KeithProsser to distingish me from all the other Lion Keiths) and Chloe8 would be Princess Chloe8 (at least I imagine so - I am inferring gender from the name) - a name she would not alter when she married - why would she want to?

Why not use Mr and Mrs as I proposed?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 8:17:42 AM
At 4/7/2016 2:04:45 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:

What precentage would it be of
how many of you from whatever
your country is that hate american
culture?

Not sure never checked any statistics of that sort If they exist. I'm from the uk. Ironically my country is the home of the English language and used these terms before your country even existed. Don't you agree the use of Mrs and miss as titles for women is unfair? Especially when men are not subjected to the same system?

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 8:56:55 AM
A month back I impressed a young woman big Time,
By raising my hand and saying excuse me miss. And waiting for her to say yes before talking with her politely. For hours. Twas a good night . My good mate was impressed as well and for the last few weeks he uses it , I gave it to him. Mixed response. Seeing this post from you Chloe8 sux for me . Your a god to me in the religion forum, I love all ya posts. But this post screams feminist . I never In a million years speak down to a young lady or a woman. Oh is that OK to call you that. Anyway . I know you could not care less what I say. But I'm just telling you , cause I can . Feel free to tell me to shut it. I will I will.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 9:21:14 AM
The suggestion that all women should be given the title 'Mrs' is ridiculous.

Whether the terms are sexist or not (I personally don't think they are), to promote the reform or removal of them--after they've been used and applied for years--makes no sense whatsoever. In addition you state that in the thread title that's it's the 'use' of the terms that is sexist; according to that implication, anyone referring to someone by 'Mrs' or 'Miss' is somehow conforming to sexism, which is quite obviously not the case.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 4:04:23 PM
At 4/6/2016 11:56:25 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 4/6/2016 11:12:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Imagine an old man who never married. Would it not be unfair to title him master?

No, it would not be unfair. There is nothing unfair about holding your appropriate title.

It serves no purpose. What advantage is obtained from giving someone a title based on marital status?

To an extent, I think it could be an advantage to be called by miss the older you get, since there is a higher rate of marriage, and a better chance of someone writing you off as married, but I live in a pretty conservative area that way so maybe your single/married demographics are completely different. Compare that to the person who is Mrs, and they are already married, so why would they care? People gotta respect the Mrs. Its not acceptable to be overly flirtatious with a married woman. Have you ever gotten to experience how nice it is to instantly find out an attractive person is not married?

In my life, it has had purpose. I've incorporated it into my lines. As a guy, "Ms" generally gets an attitude: Wow, that's great. I'm so fortunate to still have a shot, and "Mrs." is darn, you are already off the market. Oh well, good for him.

I can use both as compliments even though they are neutral in status so I can't really see your issue. As a guy, I respect both equally but in appropriately different ways. You keep saying there is discrimination, but I've personally never seen it. There is no advantage. Its like calling one guy tall and the other short. It just is what it is, unless you think tall guys are inferior, or you're a basketball coach.