Jump to topic:

Gun Liscense (US)

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 8:21:31 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
What do you guys think about the idea of requiring a license not to own, but to discharge firearms, and maybe to buy and sell ammunition. It would be similar a drivers license where you can own/buy/sell your firearm, but you can't can't discharge it without a license.

I think fees could go towards funding classes and screenings to make everyone safer.

I don't think it would infringe on our rights to keep and bear arms.

I think it would lower casualties, if implemented with proper procedure.

I think we'd need to have regulation on how much the license can cost written into law, like no more then X times federal minimum wage or something, charged every X years.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 12:04:36 AM
That's like saying "Americans have freedom of religion, but they must pay 50% of their incomes to a faith tax! What a tolerant society we live in!"
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 8:23:45 AM
At 4/11/2016 12:04:36 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
That's like saying "Americans have freedom of religion, but they must pay 50% of their incomes to a faith tax! What a tolerant society we live in!"

You don't have to tolerate something you like.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 11:00:41 AM
At 4/10/2016 8:21:31 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What do you guys think about the idea of requiring a license not to own, but to discharge firearms, and maybe to buy and sell ammunition. It would be similar a drivers license where you can own/buy/sell your firearm, but you can't can't discharge it without a license.

I think fees could go towards funding classes and screenings to make everyone safer.

I think we'd need to have regulation on how much the license can cost written into law, like no more then X times federal minimum wage or something, charged every X years.
Yeah, let me guess.
Your liscense gets coded, just like your DL, but instead of different types of vehicles, different types of guns. Extra fee for each coding.
Two for pistols, revolver or semi.
One for rim fire, one for center fire.
Three for shot guns, break action, pump, or semi.
Three for long guns, bolt action, semi auto, black powder.
Issued for your state only, like hunting license.
A couple of hundred dollars a year ought to do it, for the right to not own a firearm, but to fire one, in your state and a neighboring.

Yeah, sounds like a real good idea. Why would any - person who might want to discharge a firearm - object to that (sarcasm).
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 12:12:24 PM
At 4/11/2016 12:04:36 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Or its like a fishing license? And it could be like 20 bucks, which is a fraction of what I spend on firearms every year.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 12:21:58 PM
At 4/11/2016 11:00:41 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

Yeah, let me guess.
Your liscense gets coded, just like your DL, but instead of different types of vehicles, different types of guns. Extra fee for each coding.
A couple of hundred dollars a year ought to do it, for the right to not own a firearm, but to fire one, in your state and a neighboring.

No, I was thinking it should be simple. Just 1 license, and yes it could be coded into your DL.

Yeah, sounds like a real good idea. Why would any - person who might want to discharge a firearm - object to that (sarcasm).

Because it would require a firearms safety course to earn the license, lives would be saved, and instead of your freedom snapping when the balance inevitably shifts out of your favor (hopefully not in my lifetime) in this country, you can vouch for well implemented control run in a sane way, and solve our current issues without extreme measures.

The fact is, there are a lot of new guys out there that need training.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 12:33:50 PM

So when I was a kid, I got my firearms safety certification at a young age (which was required to hunt), and when I got old enough to get my drivers license it was written write on it officially that I was certified.

In that state it was permanent. That would be cool, but for conversations sake I was considering a plan where it needs to be renewed every X years like/with your drivers license.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 12:44:16 PM
At 4/11/2016 12:21:58 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Yeah, let me guess.

No, I was thinking it should be simple. Just 1 license, and yes it could be coded into your DL.

Because it would require a firearms safety course to earn the license, lives would be saved, and instead of your freedom snapping when the balance inevitably shifts out of your favor (hopefully not in my lifetime) in this country, you can vouch for well implemented control run in a sane way, and solve our current issues without extreme measures.

The fact is, there are a lot of new guys out there that need training.

Is that a sexist remark?
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 12:53:38 PM
At 4/11/2016 12:33:50 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

So when I was a kid, I got my firearms safety certification at a young age (which was required to hunt), and when I got old enough to get my drivers license it was written write on it officially that I was certified.

In that state it was permanent. That would be cool, but for conversations sake I was considering a plan where it needs to be renewed every X years like/with your drivers license.

With over 30 of government employment, and twice that living in our country, which I happen to think is a pretty great place, I have observed and learned a few things.
The best laid plans of mice and men often go afoul.
Or, however it looks in the conception, has little resemblance to the final product, when implementation is done by bureaucrats.

Even good ideas turn to crap, and I don't think this would be viewed as a particularly good idea, among those affected.
Those not affected, will think is is the best thing since sliced bread.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 12:59:30 PM

*"could be", "not needs to be". I think there needs to be legal caps on any law to create barriers to protect our rights.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 1:05:24 PM
At 4/11/2016 12:53:38 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

With over 30 of government employment, and twice that living in our country, which I happen to think is a pretty great place, I have observed and learned a few things.
The best laid plans of mice and men often go afoul.
Or, however it looks in the conception, has little resemblance to the final product, when implementation is done by bureaucrats.

Even good ideas turn to crap, and I don't think this would be viewed as a particularly good idea, among those affected.

Well, I'm a gun enthusiast, and I think people should be formally trained on how to use their firearms. That's just me though, what's wrong with it? Is there something specific or are you just afraid it would be over complicated, and give momentum in the wrong direction?

Its really very simple. You pay the fee, you take the class, and then you're certified. State mandated. Locally run by private citizens to state standards. The only problem is making the law in a rigid manner so it can't be turned into an incentive program, or turned against future generations after modification.