Jump to topic:

The psychology of right wingers

Shtookah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 7:16:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone know... The psychological... explanation..? For the right wing individuals?
You are reading a very cool and original signature that makes you think I am chill person to hang with.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 7:37:49 AM
At 11/23/2010 7:16:19 AM, Shtookah wrote:
Does anyone know... The psychological... explanation..? For the right wing individuals?

Why must there be a psychological explanation for right-minded individuals?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 7:49:42 AM
At 11/23/2010 7:37:49 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

It is kind of an odd question. Are there psychological reasons for personal convictions? Maybe at the personal level, but a broad blanket to explain all who adhere to a non-specific political direction, nah.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 8:27:48 AM

The empathy center of the brain is smaller than in liberals.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 8:36:00 AM
At 11/23/2010 8:27:48 AM, bluesteel wrote:

I score good on all'a the empathy type questions...

and I'm still libertarianish...

granted.. that "ish" is kind of relevant..
but, still.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 8:38:33 AM
At 11/23/2010 7:18:55 AM, Shtookah wrote:
http://www.alternet.org...

eh?

lol that was worthless.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 8:39:51 AM
At 11/23/2010 8:36:00 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

but, still.

I don't think anyone would ever accuse me of not having empathy (if anything too much), and i too am libertarianesque.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 8:52:38 AM
Right wingers are generally more motivated by their own self-interest than by the prosperity of society as a whole: hence they usually believe that individuals should be taxed less and that the government should spend less on welfare programmes in order to balance the books.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 8:58:54 AM
At 11/23/2010 8:52:38 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Right wingers are generally more motivated by their own self-interest than by the prosperity of society as a whole: hence they usually believe that individuals should be taxed less and that the government should spend less on welfare programmes in order to balance the books.

or that guv'ment involvement in things usually makes those things turn sickly looking... like a big ugly boil.. and then it it begins to leak.. and you end up having to worry that with just a little more pressure it'll pop and puss'll fly everywhere.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 8:59:39 AM
At 11/23/2010 8:58:54 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

sorry for the imagery there..

Metaphysics:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 9:14:54 AM
At 11/23/2010 7:37:49 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Well, to be fair, because so many of them vote contrary to their best interest. There's a book called What's the Matter with Kansas which asks the same question. It's pretty decent. To answer the OP: I think right-wingers is too inclusive of a term; many libertarians are right-wingers for instance though not conservative. Do you mean capitalists in general? If you mean why some people are dumb and vote Republican, then I think they're just f*cked up people lol no other way around it. The Republicans don't cut spending - they just spend it in other areas. All they do is restrict social freedoms because God hates f@gs and the like.
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 10:12:40 AM

but, still.

You and innomen call yourselves libertarian and you think you're right wing? Have you read A New Liberty? Rothbard clearly considers libertarianism the original left wing agenda (chapter 1).

Libertarians likely agree with some right-wing agenda items, like tax cuts, but for different reasons. Libertarians believe taxes are coercive and impinge on liberty (liberal position); real right wingers just want their money back. They're more than happy to let the burden of paying for their bellicose foreign policy based on never-ending war fall to the poor. Libertarians obviously don't agree with this.

They also don't agree with the right wing agenda regarding paternalism (who you can marry, what drugs you can take, etc).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 10:18:12 AM
At 11/23/2010 10:12:40 AM, bluesteel wrote:

I think you're equating "conservative" with "right wing"...

I agree Libertarians shouldn't be called "conservative"... but they are right wing.

Metaphysics:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 10:23:54 AM
At 11/23/2010 10:12:40 AM, bluesteel wrote:

but, still.

You and innomen call yourselves libertarian and you think you're right wing? Have you read A New Liberty? Rothbard clearly considers libertarianism the original left wing agenda (chapter 1).

Libertarians likely agree with some right-wing agenda items, like tax cuts, but for different reasons. Libertarians believe taxes are coercive and impinge on liberty (liberal position); real right wingers just want their money back. They're more than happy to let the burden of paying for their bellicose foreign policy based on never-ending war fall to the poor. Libertarians obviously don't agree with this.

They also don't agree with the right wing agenda regarding paternalism (who you can marry, what drugs you can take, etc).

There is no paternalism in the left wing? Or perhaps it's maternalism? The entire nanny state concept is a left wing creation just with different constraints than what the right wing would implement.

If you believe in liberty over equality, smaller government over larger government - that's right wing in my book.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 10:45:56 AM
I can't believe I'm quoting Rothbard to a libertarian...

"Hence, the 'right wing' (a label based on an accident of geography by which the spokesmen for the Old Order sat on the right of the assembly hall during the French Revolution) decided to shift their gears and to update their statist creed by jettisoning outright opposition to industrialism and democratic suffrage. For the old conservatism's frank hatred and contempt for the mass of the public, the new conservatives substituted duplicity and demagogy. The new conservatives wooed the masses with the following line: "We, too, favor industrialism and a higher standard of living. But, to accomplish such ends, we must regulate industry for the public good; we must substitute organized cooperation for the dog-eat-dog of the free and competitive marketplace; and, above all, we must substitute for the nation-destroying liberal tenets of peace and free trade the nation-glorifying measures of war, protectionism, empire, and military prowess." For all of these changes, of course, Big Government rather than minimal government was required."

Right wing, left wing - they're both artifacts of which side of the room people sit on.

"One of the ways that the new statist intellectuals did their work was to change the meaning of old labels, and therefore to manipulate in the minds of the public the emotional connotations attached to such labels. For example, the laissez-faire libertarians had long been known as "liberals," and the purest and most militant of them as "radicals"; they had also been known as "progressives" because they were the ones in tune with industrial progress, the spread of liberty, and the rise in living standards of consumers. The new breed of statist academics and intellectuals appropriated to themselves the words "liberal" and "progressive," and successfully managed to tar their laissez-faire opponents with the charge of being old-fashioned, "Neanderthal," and "reactionary." Even the name "conservative" was pinned on the classical liberals."

Rothbard clearly takes issue with the (mis)labeling of libertarians as conservative or right wing.

In this country, the two terms are synonymous - conservative = right wing.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 10:54:36 AM
I've always thought that trying to place Libertarians in the "left" or "right" wing spectrum is pointless. Libertarians call for a lot of personal objectiveness when it comes down to issues so they will most likely end up having conservative and liberal views. They don't follow a party platform to the same extent as a Conservative or Liberal.

But, if I were to try and place them in either wing, I'd definitely think left wing.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 10:54:42 AM
@ Both of you

If you believe in current or near-current levels of military spending, you're right wing, you're not libertarian. Libertarians belong off the classic left-right political scale in the U.S., since they identify on some issues with one party and some issues with the other, but agree with the ideology of neither party.

The Republicans try to win libertarians by claiming they support small government and freedom, yet they engineered some of the largest expansions of government in recent times (Reagan's massive increase in military spending, Bush Jr military spending, Bush Jr national debt increases, Bush Jr Medicare Part D, Bush Jr No Child Left Behind).
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:40:56 AM
I agree with Ann that labeling libertarianism as "right" or "left" is pointless; it's not really either. And bluesteel, later on (late 80's, early 90's) Rothbard began associating with the "Old Right" Pat Buchanan/Ron Paul faction of conservative movement.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 3:03:03 PM

Check out the links below.

http://www.debate.org...

Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 3:20:33 PM
These are considered the five pillars of moral-values that one's political views are an extension of:

Harm/care

Fairness/equality

Respect for authority

In-group loyalty

Purity

Through tests, Conservatives are found to have a value system which more or less evenly values these 5. Whereas Liberals tend to value harm/care and fairness/equality much more than conservatives while valuing the other 3 much less.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 3:22:00 PM
At 11/23/2010 3:20:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
These are considered the five pillars of moral-values that one's political views are an extension of:

Harm/care

Fairness/equality

Respect for authority

In-group loyalty

Purity

Through tests, Conservatives are found to have a value system which more or less evenly values these 5. Whereas Liberals tend to value harm/care and fairness/equality much more than conservatives while valuing the other 3 much less.

Libertarians tend to look a lot like liberals.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
clucas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 4:06:27 PM
Left wingers are much more interested in equality among people to reduce poverty and suffering, while right wingers tend to lean more towards high prosperity as a country no matter what the sacrafice may be. Basically right wingers have a lot less empathy then left sided people.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 4:37:25 PM
At 11/23/2010 3:20:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Harm/care

Fairness/equality

Respect for authority

In-group loyalty

Purity

Harm/care

Fairness/equality

Contempt for tyranny

Open-mindedness

Willingness to enjoy life

Fix'd. Through tests, liberals tend to have a perfectly balanced value system along all 5 metrics.
Shtookah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2010 4:55:12 PM
Yeah but there has to be a lot more to it than that.. I mean for the most part a lot of you guys feel that they just have less empathy towards society.. I beg to differ. There has to be some abuse involved.. If not.. psychological trauma noam saying?

haha im mean but honest
You are reading a very cool and original signature that makes you think I am chill person to hang with.
clucas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2010 6:07:03 PM
At 11/24/2010 4:55:12 PM, Shtookah wrote:
Yeah but there has to be a lot more to it than that.. I mean for the most part a lot of you guys feel that they just have less empathy towards society.. I beg to differ. There has to be some abuse involved.. If not.. psychological trauma noam saying?

haha im mean but honest

Many right wingers would say the same about left sided people. There are many factors to determine what your beliefs are and what side your in. It just simply depends on your viewpoints.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2010 11:27:38 AM
Hmm...right-wingers all want everybody to live under the theocracy of Jesus, and the poor to suffer and die while all the whores are impregnated by God's wrath. Also, all the gays shall be stoned while everybody is drafted into the military to go fight "dem evil satan-worshipping desert pplz". This seems about right... -__-
clucas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2010 7:38:42 PM
At 11/25/2010 11:27:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Hmm...right-wingers all want everybody to live under the theocracy of Jesus, and the poor to suffer and die while all the whores are impregnated by God's wrath. Also, all the gays shall be stoned while everybody is drafted into the military to go fight "dem evil satan-worshipping desert pplz". This seems about right... -__-

Thats pretty accurate... You may have exagerated a little bit, but not by much.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2010 7:41:40 PM
At 11/25/2010 7:38:42 PM, clucas wrote:
At 11/25/2010 11:27:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Thats pretty accurate... You may have exagerated a little bit, but not by much.

Sadly, I wasn't even trying to be serious in that post either...