Jump to topic:

Free speech versus hate speech

Lanovil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 1:53:56 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
When debating feminists, the only justification MRA's give for their arguments is often "I have a right to hold the opinions I do." Yet they ignore that their arguments are hate speech.

Opposing feminism would lead to women being treated worse and worse. Thus, opposition of feminism is hate speech.

I think we should have a registry for bloggers and online commentators so that we can prevent hate speech. People who use hate speech shouldn't be allowed to post online.
CHECK YOUR PRlVlLEGE!
Vales_Dales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 2:11:14 AM
At 4/14/2016 1:53:56 AM, Lanovil wrote:
When debating feminists, the only justification MRA's give for their arguments is often "I have a right to hold the opinions I do." Yet they ignore that their arguments are hate speech.

Opposing feminism would lead to women being treated worse and worse. Thus, opposition of feminism is hate speech.

I think we should have a registry for bloggers and online commentators so that we can prevent hate speech. People who use hate speech shouldn't be allowed to post online.

It is not hate speech to criticize feminism or hold opinions contradicting yours. Your proposal would mean Orwellian censorship that is overall detrimental to society.
Runn92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:45:18 AM
Feminists constantly reach new heights of being stupid and awful but this should be a troll.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:48:13 AM

Let's just disregard basic rights of free speech shall we?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:55:27 AM
I strongly disagree with the OP. Sure, people are wrong about things. People are often racist, bigoted, and wrong. But does that mean we should suppress opinions we disagree with? My view is that, however much a certain form of expression can be termed "hate speech," it should be permitted unless there are security threats to it.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:29:10 AM

You do understand that by that same definition, opposing free speech and calling it hate speech allows for the minority view to be legally repressed by the majority view, thereby making people with less accepted views be treated worse and worse, which also is oppression in your terms.

I think we need to have a registry for morons/trolls such as you so that you will be denied service by all ISPs in the country.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:31:27 AM
Opposing feminism would lead to women being treated worse and worse.
Good
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Runn92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:48:54 AM
At 4/14/2016 4:31:27 AM, someloser wrote:
Opposing feminism would lead to women being treated worse and worse.
Good

Ironic part is that this would probably lead to women being more sexually satisfied lol
Runn92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 5:42:50 AM

Troll or not hmmmmmmm
Vales_Dales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 10:46:50 PM
At 4/14/2016 3:44:52 AM, Runn92 wrote:
This has got to be a troll

Why did you call me a troll? I was criticizing the ridiculous feminist idea that we should infringe on freedom of speech solely to promote their agenda. Why do you support feminism so staunchly?
Lanovil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 10:50:44 PM
At 4/14/2016 3:48:13 AM, Sam7411 wrote:

Let's just disregard basic rights of free speech shall we?

I'm not saying that free speech should be banned or that everyone should be gagged. Instead, I'm simply suggesting that we should ban anti-feminist speech because free speech only protects speech that doesn't harm others. By criticizing feminism, MRA's are making women feel unsafe and contributing to female oppression. Thus, their actions are harmful to society and therefore should not be protected as free speech. Feminism is free speech, MRA nonsense isn't. We are progressive, not regressive, and we cannot tolerate hate masquerading as hate speech.
CHECK YOUR PRlVlLEGE!
Lanovil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 10:53:22 PM
At 4/14/2016 3:45:18 AM, Runn92 wrote:
Feminists constantly reach new heights of being stupid and awful but this should be a troll.

This is exactly the type of "free speech" I'd like to forbid. By calling feminists "stupid" and "awful", you're essentially promoting a return to the "good old days" when women weren't allowed to vote. Free speech rights apply only insofar as when said speech doesn't impact the rights or interests of others. Anti-feminist speech causes regression and convinces people to treat women worse. Thus, it impacts the interests of others and should be considered hate speech.
CHECK YOUR PRlVlLEGE!
Lanovil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 10:55:42 PM
At 4/14/2016 2:11:14 AM, Vales_Dales wrote:

It is not hate speech to criticize feminism or hold opinions contradicting yours. Your proposal would mean Orwellian censorship that is overall detrimental to society.

As explained previously, yes, it is.
CHECK YOUR PRlVlLEGE!
Lanovil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:01:00 PM
At 4/14/2016 10:58:48 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Teaching women to read was a mistake.

This is exactly why I support banning "free speech". Free speech only applies when your speech harms no-one else; it doesn't apply in the case of criticizing feminism. By criticizing feminism, the oppression of women and social regression are encouraged. Thus, criticism of feminism is harmful and should be banned.
CHECK YOUR PRlVlLEGE!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:03:35 PM
At 4/14/2016 11:01:00 PM, Lanovil wrote:

This is exactly why I support banning "free speech". Free speech only applies when your speech harms no-one else; it doesn't apply in the case of criticizing feminism. By criticizing feminism, the oppression of women and social regression are encouraged. Thus, criticism of feminism is harmful and should be banned.

I don't accept your premise. I think women would be better off living under patriarchy. As such, supporting feminism causes women harm and therefore constitutes hate speech. Why do you hate women?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Wolfkin123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:11:49 PM
At 4/14/2016 11:03:35 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I don't accept your premise. I think women would be better off living under patriarchy. As such, supporting feminism causes women harm and therefore constitutes hate speech. Why do you hate women?

Can you hear that? Womyn live better when they're oppressed? LMAO!
My pronouns are (xe/xym/xyr). Please use them to be respectful.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:36:09 PM

Please....enlighten me. How does feminism harm women?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:38:45 PM
At 4/14/2016 11:36:09 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Because it empowers women, and women, collectively, make terrible, terrible decisions that harm society and therefore women.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:42:46 PM

To desire to suppress hate speech, however you define it, is to oppose free speech. Speech is either free or it isn't free (read: restricted).

You can want to restrict free speech all you like, and there are certainly arguments to be made in favor of that. But if the men's rights activists are people who make you want to limit free speech, think about it this way...

What if the tides turned, and they were the majority? Would you really want the state to be powerful enough to empower *them* to silence others?

The problem is the sliding scale of what constitutes "hate speech." There are some things we can all probably agree are "hate speech" such as burning a cross in the front yard of a black family (it's also trespassing, vandalism, and harassment, as well as probably a few municipal violations for the local fire ordinances). But, not all speech is that clearly categorically distinct.

It's the speech that's "on the line" between something that some people merely find objectionable, and that is actually hate speech, which raises issues--or at least should raise issues, if you're in the business of silencing people who you disagree with.

Of course, in the United States (and we are unique in this way, meaning, simply, that other countries don't do it like we do), laws which restrict hate speech unconstitutionally infringe on the first amendment, and therefore are forbidden.... but the first amendment ONLY restricts what the government can do, meaning that people don't have a first amendment right that is enforceable against other people who try to silence them... the normative question of what if any "speech" can or should be censored nevertheless remains.

Your remedy, however, if you encounter speech you don't like, is not to silence other people. It is for *you* to look away, meaning, simply, that you have no right to control what other people say. Your only right is to control what you expose yourself too.

The norm among some students and in certain (very intellectually depraved and dishonest) academic circles is to feign "trauma" at exposure to speech that they don't like. So, they pretend to have PTSD and other mental illnesses as a result of encountering, for example, conservatives on campus. They regard pro-Trump support as "hate speech." Of course this is nonsense, but there are some juvenile individuals who "buy into" it.

The question you must answer for yourself, however, is whether you are going to reduce yourself to their level. I hope you don't, but if you do, it is within your rights. Though, do not expect others to consider your thoughts, perspectives, or experiences with any degree of seriousness when you feign trauma at the sight of speech you don't like.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:43:05 PM
At 4/14/2016 11:38:45 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Because it empowers women, and women, collectively, make terrible, terrible decisions that harm society and therefore women.

And exactly how do women make terrible decisions? Personally, I think men make the terrible decisions. Lets use rape, and violence for example. MEN are proven to commit more of these crimes.

"Gender is also the most powerful predictor of rape, sexual assault and relationship violence. These crimes are predominantly against women and perpetrated by men. According to the National Violence Against Women Survey (1998), 15% of women will be the victim of a completed rape in their lifetimes and 2.1% of men. According to the Department of Justice, 99% of all people arrested for rape are men. While some men are rape victims, men are almost always the perpetrator. That is not to say that all or even most men are violent, or that women cannot perpetrate such violence. Gender violence highlights a male-patterned"

Yet, these are choices made by men, to act this way, and decide to hurt women.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:44:48 PM
At 4/14/2016 11:43:05 PM, Rosalie wrote:

And exactly how do women make terrible decisions? Personally, I think men make the terrible decisions. Lets use rape, and violence for example. MEN are proven to commit more of these crimes.

"Gender is also the most powerful predictor of rape, sexual assault and relationship violence. These crimes are predominantly against women and perpetrated by men. According to the National Violence Against Women Survey (1998), 15% of women will be the victim of a completed rape in their lifetimes and 2.1% of men. According to the Department of Justice, 99% of all people arrested for rape are men. While some men are rape victims, men are almost always the perpetrator. That is not to say that all or even most men are violent, or that women cannot perpetrate such violence. Gender violence highlights a male-patterned"

How does feminism solve rape?
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:47:46 PM
At 4/14/2016 11:44:48 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Rape is a vodoo topic in society. Nobody wants to look at the statistics, and face the fact we have a problem. Feminist raise awareness about the issue, and many feminst are Rape victims. By raising awareness, we can reform society.

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:59:39 PM
At 4/14/2016 11:47:46 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Rape is a vodoo topic in society. Nobody wants to look at the statistics, and face the fact we have a problem. Feminist raise awareness about the issue, and many feminst are Rape victims. By raising awareness, we can reform society.

Do you have any evidence that raising awareness of rape actually reduces occurrences of rape? Also, I don't accept your premise that nobody wants to look at rape statistics, but I'm willing to put that on hold for now to evaluate your evidence.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 12:00:57 AM

Someone get this person a dictionary and the Bill of Rights
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 12:05:45 AM
At 4/14/2016 11:59:39 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Do you have any evidence that raising awareness of rape actually reduces occurrences of rape? Also, I don't accept your premise that nobody wants to look at rape statistics, but I'm willing to put that on hold for now to evaluate your evidence.

Indeed there is proof.

I'm still at school, when I get home I will respond to this

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 12:06:46 AM
At 4/15/2016 12:05:45 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 4/14/2016 11:59:39 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Indeed there is proof.

I'm still at school, when I get home I will respond to this

They let women in schools now? My God, this really has gotten out of hand...
Runn92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 12:25:34 AM
At 4/14/2016 10:53:22 PM, Lanovil wrote:
At 4/14/2016 3:45:18 AM, Runn92 wrote:

This is exactly the type of "free speech" I'd like to forbid. By calling feminists "stupid" and "awful", you're essentially promoting a return to the "good old days" when women weren't allowed to vote. Free speech rights apply only insofar as when said speech doesn't impact the rights or interests of others. Anti-feminist speech causes regression and convinces people to treat women worse. Thus, it impacts the interests of others and should be considered hate speech.

lol
Runn92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 12:26:15 AM
At 4/14/2016 10:46:50 PM, Vales_Dales wrote:
At 4/14/2016 3:44:52 AM, Runn92 wrote:
This has got to be a troll

Why did you call me a troll? I was criticizing the ridiculous feminist idea that we should infringe on freedom of speech solely to promote their agenda. Why do you support feminism so staunchly?

I'm calling op a troll. At least I think she's a troll. Feminists are pretty awful. However, this is just beyond..