Jump to topic:

Sympathy/Empathy

clucas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 5:51:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Lately I have been feeling a lot less sympathy, and empathy then usual. I used to always feel bad and be burdened whenever friends or family are experiencing problems and always try to do anything I could do for them to try to make them feel better. My school, and area experiences many suicides, which has always provoked me to do so even more. I still do that, and try to be as caring as I can be, but I feel that I may do it too much and that people take advantage of it only to make themselves feel better. So when should I stop trying to comfort them, and stop bringing myself down over other peoples misfortunes? When I try to ignore it I just feel that I am being selfish.

Thoughts?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 7:09:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It's a balancing act, you just have to work out where to draw the line I guess.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 8:26:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think it's understandable. We have no necessity to bear another's burden; if you feel you do not have to, there is no obligation. Anyone's first value should be their own life; all other values come second. It is admirable to try and value another's life by adopting the sadness as a result; but it's a supererogatory act. There simply is no reasonable responsibility or expectancy to bring down our own happiness at the expense of another.

I recognize this sounds selfish and unkind; but kindness to others and selflessness are supererogatory, so to expect them removes the value of the traits.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.