Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is the deal with Asians?

NothingSpecial99
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
roun12
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 5:32:33 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Because Asians are a minority. (At least in America.)
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 6:55:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Asian are routinely discriminated against when comes to college admissions. They just aren't very vocal about it.

http://www.nytimes.com...
Lanovil
Posts: 20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:09:06 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Asians are disprivileged. Check your privilege before contributing to racistism.
CHECK YOUR PRlVlLEGE!
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 10:32:32 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

I'm not entirely sure either why Asian Americans are the "model minority." Though my best guess is something drives Asian American immigrants (particularly from China and India) to be more intelligent, harder-working, successful, etc. than the average White American. From what I've read, part of it could be Confucianism ideology in East Asia promoting immigrants to obtain education, which then leads to their parents struggling the importance of obtaining good education. Considering though that Confucianism isn't popular in South Asia, it does seem quite weird to me why Asian Americans with Indian lineage also do well.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 10:34:06 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:55:30 PM, janesix wrote:

Asian are routinely discriminated against when comes to college admissions. They just aren't very vocal about it.

http://www.nytimes.com...

True, that definitely pisses me off. Also, Blacks are able to get into ivy league schools with literally 1/3rd the work Asians have to complete. :/
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 11:13:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
The deal with asians is their parents grind them into the ground on their schoolwork to an extent other races tend not to.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
EvanescentEfflorescence
Posts: 303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 11:19:24 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Asians (specifically: East Asians) are some of the smartest people on the planet. They have a larger cranial capacity, which leads to a higher I.Q. They also have cultures wherein discipline and education are highly valued. They are also far less susceptible to crime than all other racial groups (at least on the data I've seen), so this helps them get into university and earn income.
Free vote -- short read. I've spent well over 15 hours researching abortion in the past week, so there might be something there for you. I recommend reading Con's counter-arguments first to come to a quick decisions, but the choice is all yours:

http://www.debate.org...

The opponent didn't respond:

http://www.debate.org...

No response:

http://www.debate.org...
NothingSpecial99
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 11:53:59 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:55:30 PM, janesix wrote:
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Asian are routinely discriminated against when comes to college admissions. They just aren't very vocal about it.

http://www.nytimes.com...

This is literally systematic racism against Asians. Merits be dammed, you have the wrong skin color.
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 12:31:12 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
There sure are a lot of Asians who go to The University of Texas...

I think people who immigrate to America are inclined to do better. It's hard not to get corrupted by the culture after a few generations.

The culture in America is tailored to facilitate self destructive behavior.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
EvanescentEfflorescence
Posts: 303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:59:09 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/24/2016 11:19:24 PM, EvanescentEfflorescence wrote:
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Oh goodness - I'm a dumb ditz. I forgot to answer this part.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I would be very interested to know. Perhaps it reflects an agenda of a greater power. I really don't know.


Asians (specifically: East Asians) are some of the smartest people on the planet. They have a larger cranial capacity, which leads to a higher I.Q. They also have cultures wherein discipline and education are highly valued. They are also far less susceptible to crime than all other racial groups (at least on the data I've seen), so this helps them get into university and earn income.
Free vote -- short read. I've spent well over 15 hours researching abortion in the past week, so there might be something there for you. I recommend reading Con's counter-arguments first to come to a quick decisions, but the choice is all yours:

http://www.debate.org...

The opponent didn't respond:

http://www.debate.org...

No response:

http://www.debate.org...
NothingSpecial99
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 1:19:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/25/2016 12:31:12 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
There sure are a lot of Asians who go to The University of Texas...


I think people who immigrate to America are inclined to do better. It's hard not to get corrupted by the culture after a few generations.

The culture in America is tailored to facilitate self destructive behavior.

I guess this is true to some extent. I can see immigrants having more drive and determination to do better.
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
Daedal
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 4:00:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/24/2016 11:19:24 PM, EvanescentEfflorescence wrote:
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Asians (specifically: East Asians) are some of the smartest people on the planet. They have a larger cranial capacity, which leads to a higher I.Q. They also have cultures wherein discipline and education are highly valued. They are also far less susceptible to crime than all other racial groups (at least on the data I've seen), so this helps them get into university and earn income.

Hmm, racial basis for intelligence? That's dangerous ground.
slo1
Posts: 4,351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 6:39:40 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Fundamentally it is not right. My sons 1/2 Asian will put Caucasian on their college applications because of this type of discrimination.

This is why the end goal is truly color blind. We can't just turn it on now, but without it there will always be discrimination based upon race and ethnicity.
EvanescentEfflorescence
Posts: 303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:44:08 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/25/2016 4:00:30 PM, Daedal wrote:
At 4/24/2016 11:19:24 PM, EvanescentEfflorescence wrote:
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Asians (specifically: East Asians) are some of the smartest people on the planet. They have a larger cranial capacity, which leads to a higher I.Q. They also have cultures wherein discipline and education are highly valued. They are also far less susceptible to crime than all other racial groups (at least on the data I've seen), so this helps them get into university and earn income.

Hmm, racial basis for intelligence? That's dangerous ground.

Dangerous as in wrong? Or dangerous as in the SJW mob is coming to lynch me now?
Free vote -- short read. I've spent well over 15 hours researching abortion in the past week, so there might be something there for you. I recommend reading Con's counter-arguments first to come to a quick decisions, but the choice is all yours:

http://www.debate.org...

The opponent didn't respond:

http://www.debate.org...

No response:

http://www.debate.org...
Daedal
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:50:20 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/25/2016 8:44:08 PM, EvanescentEfflorescence wrote:
At 4/25/2016 4:00:30 PM, Daedal wrote:
At 4/24/2016 11:19:24 PM, EvanescentEfflorescence wrote:
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Asians (specifically: East Asians) are some of the smartest people on the planet. They have a larger cranial capacity, which leads to a higher I.Q. They also have cultures wherein discipline and education are highly valued. They are also far less susceptible to crime than all other racial groups (at least on the data I've seen), so this helps them get into university and earn income.

Hmm, racial basis for intelligence? That's dangerous ground.

Dangerous as in wrong? Or dangerous as in the SJW mob is coming to lynch me now?

Oh, the latter.
EvanescentEfflorescence
Posts: 303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 9:03:38 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/25/2016 8:50:20 PM, Daedal wrote:
At 4/25/2016 8:44:08 PM, EvanescentEfflorescence wrote:
At 4/25/2016 4:00:30 PM, Daedal wrote:
At 4/24/2016 11:19:24 PM, EvanescentEfflorescence wrote:
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Asians (specifically: East Asians) are some of the smartest people on the planet. They have a larger cranial capacity, which leads to a higher I.Q. They also have cultures wherein discipline and education are highly valued. They are also far less susceptible to crime than all other racial groups (at least on the data I've seen), so this helps them get into university and earn income.

Hmm, racial basis for intelligence? That's dangerous ground.

Dangerous as in wrong? Or dangerous as in the SJW mob is coming to lynch me now?

Oh, the latter.

Lol -- who cares?
Free vote -- short read. I've spent well over 15 hours researching abortion in the past week, so there might be something there for you. I recommend reading Con's counter-arguments first to come to a quick decisions, but the choice is all yours:

http://www.debate.org...

The opponent didn't respond:

http://www.debate.org...

No response:

http://www.debate.org...
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 10:12:24 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/25/2016 1:19:02 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
At 4/25/2016 12:31:12 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
There sure are a lot of Asians who go to The University of Texas...


I think people who immigrate to America are inclined to do better. It's hard not to get corrupted by the culture after a few generations.

The culture in America is tailored to facilitate self destructive behavior.

I guess this is true to some extent. I can see immigrants having more drive and determination to do better.

America really is the land of opportunity for those who are stewardly and diligent.

If you are spoiled, you're boned. It's really easy to get spoiled in America.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Danimal4NU
Posts: 53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 1:01:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
It could be argued that Asians are the model Americans. The rest of us would certainly be well-served by adopting their attitude of achievement.
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 3:16:39 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Who should be including Asians in the conversation? Are you asking why non-Asians aren't talking about Asians or why Asians aren't talking about themselves?

I'm not sure that someone can be "left out" of a conversation they're not interested in having.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 3:46:32 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/27/2016 3:16:39 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Who should be including Asians in the conversation? Are you asking why non-Asians aren't talking about Asians or why Asians aren't talking about themselves?

I'm not sure that someone can be "left out" of a conversation they're not interested in having.

I think many Asians are interested in having conversations about how they are discriminated against. I know a lot of my Asian students were relieved to see me include readings this semester about the struggles they face in and out of school.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 3:51:00 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

Because Asians are the master race.

http://giphy.com...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:09:23 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/27/2016 3:46:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I think many Asians are interested in having conversations about how they are discriminated against. I know a lot of my Asian students were relieved to see me include readings this semester about the struggles they face in and out of school.

That's cool. I rarely see Asians being vocal about racial matters so I really question anyone that says they are "left out" of race conversations, with the implication that other races should be fighting their battles. Is it the case that Asians have been silenced or told not to talk about their issues? Maybe, I don't know... all I know is it's not any other oppressed group's job to make the case for other groups. They can be allies, but it requires legwork from all individuals. I read an article just today about how Asians benefitted from civil rights movements with little effort - the article was about the policy impact of social movements and theorizing that some groups (i.e., Asians) have gotten benefits with little work, calling to question models that claim a direct relationship between a challenger's movement and a benefit. The reality is that Asians have faced discrimination like other groups, but haven't been as vocal as other groups to fight against it. And the argument can be made that they have been more focused on assimilation. So to frame the issue as other groups ignoring the plight of Asians, I'm going to question - which groups? Who should be fighting for Asians' anti-racism?
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:29:06 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/27/2016 4:09:23 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 4/27/2016 3:46:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I think many Asians are interested in having conversations about how they are discriminated against. I know a lot of my Asian students were relieved to see me include readings this semester about the struggles they face in and out of school.

That's cool. I rarely see Asians being vocal about racial matters so I really question anyone that says they are "left out" of race conversations, with the implication that other races should be fighting their battles. Is it the case that Asians have been silenced or told not to talk about their issues? Maybe, I don't know... all I know is it's not any other oppressed group's job to make the case for other groups. They can be allies, but it requires legwork from all individuals. I read an article just today about how Asians benefitted from civil rights movements with little effort - the article was about the policy impact of social movements and theorizing that some groups (i.e., Asians) have gotten benefits with little work, calling to question models that claim a direct relationship between a challenger's movement and a benefit. The reality is that Asians have faced discrimination like other groups, but haven't been as vocal as other groups to fight against it. And the argument can be made that they have been more focused on assimilation. So to frame the issue as other groups ignoring the plight of Asians, I'm going to question - which groups? Who should be fighting for Asians' anti-racism?

There are organizations and groups speaking out. Honestly I learned a lot about them from my students. I'm just not familiar with them.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:32:45 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/27/2016 4:29:06 PM, Maikuru wrote:

There are organizations and groups speaking out. Honestly I learned a lot about them from my students. I'm just not familiar with them.

Sure, and I don't want to downplay the work that Asians have done by any means. What I'm talking about specifically is that I question anyone who frames the issue as Blacks or Latinxs excluding Asians from conversations about race. It's not crazy that an oppressed group would talk about themselves. No one is stopping Asians from also talking about their oppression. But there seems to be this idea that Blacks and Latinxs should be picking up the mantle for Asian anti-racism. I'm trying to see if that's the case for the OP because it's silly to expect Blacks and Latinxs to be every racialized person's mule.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:47:56 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Unlike Gandhi in South Africa or women Suffragists in the US who threw black people under the bus for their civil rights, I don't know that Blacks or Latinxs have thrown others under the bus. So I find it strange that in an effort to fight for their own rights, they are being thrown under the bus again because they're not leading the charge for another group's rights (even though their movements have results in benefits for other groups anyway).

This could all be a moot point if the OP is asking why Asians don't fight for their own rights. But to expect Blacks and Latinxs to lead the charge in Asian anti-discrimination is nonsensical.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Hiu
Posts: 1,015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 1:14:12 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 5:19:27 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
I do know that we Asians have faced systematic discrimination in America back in the late 1800's with the gold rush and the construction of the railroads. Not to mention the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but that fear emerged from the bombing of Pearl Harbor which is understandable. However, since then history has been silent on Asian Americans. Today however, Asian Americans are scoring the highest GPA's in high school.

http://www.nationsreportcard.gov...

In the college field, Asians have the highest percentage population wise ages 25 and up with a college degree at 53.2% as compared to:

35.2% with whites
21.8% with blacks
15% with Hispanics

http://www.marketingcharts.com...

The highest median income

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Whenever there is discussion about racial issues whether whites discriminating against blacks, against Hispanics or whatever we Asians always seem to be left out of the conversation.

Why is this?

By Asians are you referring to Pakistanis, Indians, Malaysians, Philipinos, Japanese, Chinese?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 1:31:17 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/27/2016 4:32:45 PM, lamerde wrote:
But there seems to be this idea that Blacks and Latinxs should be picking up the mantle for Asian anti-racism.

That's a bizarre argument if someone actually made it. I don't know who would though.

Racism exists for everyone including whites. It's the job of all Americans to eradicate it. No one should be expected to advocate specifically on behalf of some other group.
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 1:41:38 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/28/2016 1:14:12 AM, Hiu wrote:
By Asians are you referring to Pakistanis, Indians, Malaysians, Philipinos, Japanese, Chinese?
Given the context of the US, it's probably the latter three or four
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw