Jump to topic:

Huxley vs. Orwell

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:24:01 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Both Huxley and Orwell envisioned a bleak future with two opposite sides of the coin. Aldous Huxley wrote Brave New World, where perpetual flood of irrelevant and trivial information distracts people from taking interest in anything of importance. In this future, governments encourage mass distribution of entertainment, as it pacifies the people and diverts attention away from political issues. Our transfixtion with entertainment would drown our desire for real knowledge, and society would allow itself to be consumed solely with that which is amusing, disregarding anything of importance. The government will control the people through inflicting pleasure.

George Orwell wrote 1984, where he warned of a future in which the people are controlled by an oppressive government that restricted and regulated the spread of information. In Orwell's world, communication would be limited between people to prevent conspiring against the government. The destruction and ban of information and media would limit knowledge, and truth would be concealed through repressive control. The government will control the people through inflicting pain.

So, which do you think is a more accurate depiction of the future? Which is more plausible at the rate society is going? Or are both far-fetched and false? Which do you find to be more interesting? Can you see any signs of either in today's society? Which are their strong points and/or weak points? Discuss.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 7:35:03 AM
At 4/22/2016 5:24:01 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Both Huxley and Orwell envisioned a bleak future with two opposite sides of the coin. Aldous Huxley wrote Brave New World, where perpetual flood of irrelevant and trivial information distracts people from taking interest in anything of importance. In this future, governments encourage mass distribution of entertainment, as it pacifies the people and diverts attention away from political issues. Our transfixtion with entertainment would drown our desire for real knowledge, and society would allow itself to be consumed solely with that which is amusing, disregarding anything of importance. The government will control the people through inflicting pleasure.

George Orwell wrote 1984, where he warned of a future in which the people are controlled by an oppressive government that restricted and regulated the spread of information. In Orwell's world, communication would be limited between people to prevent conspiring against the government. The destruction and ban of information and media would limit knowledge, and truth would be concealed through repressive control. The government will control the people through inflicting pain.

So, which do you think is a more accurate depiction of the future? Which is more plausible at the rate society is going? Or are both far-fetched and false? Which do you find to be more interesting? Can you see any signs of either in today's society? Which are their strong points and/or weak points? Discuss.

Brave New World mostly, but the two blend to some degree. It's the end result of unrestrained hedonism; the complete elimination of shame as a social lash, which Huxley skewered in BNW, has now almost become reality. Harlan Ellison, in the introduction to his 'Glass Teat' compilations, made the argument that television was beginning to fulfill that role, and that the internet is finishing the job.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
EvanescentEfflorescence
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:21:39 PM
Both Huxley and Orwell envisioned a bleak future with two opposite sides of the coin. Aldous Huxley wrote Brave New World, where perpetual flood of irrelevant and trivial information distracts people from taking interest in anything of importance.

I think this is very much the case. Facebook, Smartphones, Xbox and all kinds of electronics have engulfed at least generation z, and certainly engulfs a lot of the other generations (and of course, there will be exceptions among those groups).

In this future, governments encourage mass distribution of entertainment, as it pacifies the people and diverts attention away from political issues.

I'm not sure that people ever care that much about politics. I think that the average person only cares about politics such as what is in it for him/her. I can't substantiated this opinion with sources, though, so please keep that in mind.

Our transfixtion with entertainment would drown our desire for real knowledge, and society would allow itself to be consumed solely with that which is amusing, disregarding anything of importance.

Instant gratification is a virus amongst us -- I 100% agree with your sentence here.

The government will control the people through inflicting pleasure.

Maybe...

George Orwell wrote 1984, where he warned of a future in which the people are controlled by an oppressive government that restricted and regulated the spread of information. In Orwell's world, communication would be limited between people to prevent conspiring against the government.

We're not there yet, but perhaps we're getting there.

The destruction and ban of information and media would limit knowledge, and truth would be concealed through repressive control. The government will control the people through inflicting pain.

I don't think this is true.

Huxley's is far more representative of America's overall society today. Orwell's may well come to fruition in America, and may well be prevalent in other countries. Huxley's is more interesting because the idea of being controlled through a positive emotion (i.e. pleasure) seems contradictory. I am not sure what is meant by "strong and/or weak" points. Do you mean which are accurate? I think all of it could be accurate, given different societies and values.

Also, in thinking about this, I realised how much I rely on my intuition, lol.
Free vote -- short read. I've spent well over 15 hours researching abortion in the past week, so there might be something there for you. I recommend reading Con's counter-arguments first to come to a quick decisions, but the choice is all yours:

http://www.debate.org...

The opponent didn't respond:

No response:

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:26:59 PM

Nice post Agent Smith.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:54:50 PM
I don't know which is more likely, but the first sounds more effective.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:15:58 PM
At 4/22/2016 2:26:59 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Nice post Agent Smith.

Shh, I don't want Emmarie getting any ideas from that.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...