Jump to topic:

The effects of charisma

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 7:41:11 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
The biggest reason Trump is so popular is primarily due to charisma. Charismatic people can make even the most absurd positions sound reasonable. For instance, take a look at Kent Hovind's 100 reasons why evolution is stupid:

He has a very funny, charsimatic entrance and an incredibly personable way of presenting things. And the morons at his lecture are lapping it up like cat licking milk from a bowl.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 10:15:53 PM
At 4/22/2016 7:41:11 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The biggest reason Trump is so popular is primarily due to charisma. Charismatic people can make even the most absurd positions sound reasonable. For instance, take a look at Kent Hovind's 100 reasons why evolution is stupid:

He has a very funny, charsimatic entrance and an incredibly personable way of presenting things. And the morons at his lecture are lapping it up like cat licking milk from a bowl.

The people there likely already believed in the Bible, they didn't need any persuasion.

Trump supporters don't need convincing that illegal immigration is bad and that the government is broken.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 1:14:19 PM
Charisma isn't the first word that pops in my head when I see Trump talk on TV, avoid questions, sling insults, and generally bumble like an idiot.

The average person doesn't care about specifics in politics, or doesn't want to know about those specifics. Trump dumbs things down enough for people to understand what he is talking about (particularly because he likely doesn't have a very good understanding of politics himself). All he has to do is support a bunch of stuff that will make people emotionally blind and passionate about, and they will love him for it. Even if he doesn't have plans to carry out his "ideas" and policies. Try asking a Trump supporter for specific reasons why they support him, you likely won't get a very intelligent response.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 1:54:07 PM
I think it's a bit unfair to call the people who eat up Hovind's lectures as being moronic. On a lot of things, the guy is very convincing.

Really, if anything, Hovind should resurrect the inner agnostic in all of us.

I also think it's a bit unfair to credit Trump's success to his charisma. Sure, he is very charismatic, but look at the crooks he is running against. Seriously, taking into account everyone else who is running(as far as democrats and republicans go), it seems to me like he's the only candidate even worth giving a shot.

What, does that make me stupid? Why do people support candidates like Hilary and Cruz? Why do people support Sanders?

Really though, I think charisma is a good quality for a head of state to have anyway. It concerns me a little bit on how Trump translates into other languages, but I'd think as a business man who does international business, he would be better at it than he might let on at his rallies.

He talks and presents himself a certain way at the rallies, but I think his attitude would be a great deal more presidential if he got into office.

I think he's worth a shot, and I sure don't want someone in office who thinks that doubling the minimum wage and raising taxes on the bracket that small business owners tend to fall in is good for anyone except those who have already rigged the game to win.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 8:44:07 PM
At 4/22/2016 7:41:11 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Charisma is part of it, certainly. Our political system has us voting for individuals rather than parties or positions, so much like actors, those individuals running need to present themselves in an appealing light.

What's so stunning about this particular instance is that it is proof positive that a large segment of the voting public values such style over substance. It also highlights the amount of ignorance and bigotry in this country, but that's a different story.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...