Jump to topic:

Landlord Question

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 4:08:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Recently we just received a $750 water bill when it's usually around $40. Apparently the handle to our toilet bowl was broken, and when we flushed, it would stick and stay down so that water kept flowing. Needless to say it was the equivalent of leaving a faucet running for 3 months straight hence the massive bill.

Now we had noticed that the handle would stick down, mostly just finding it annoying so we didn't complain to our landlord about it. We had no idea what it was doing. Now we've got this huge bill, and I'm wondering to what extent we are accountable. The former tenant of our apartment lives next door, and she says that she told our landlord that the toilet was broken last year and he never did anything. Is he responsible for the damage considering he should have given us an apartment in good condition? Any problems he knew about should have been fixed or at least told to us in my opinion.

Worse, our landlord STILL has not fixed the problem and he's known about it for weeks. Recently a friend came over and used the bathroom, and not knowing about the problem didn't make sure to fix the handle after use (so once again water was running for hours on end until we realized it - meaning we were charged). The water company will let us pay in installments, but I'm not sure if we're 100% responsible.

They also won't let us make a payment plan until our landlord gives them specific insurance information and proves that he's fixed the problem (none of which he did)... so we were just charged a late fee for the water company! Now I know I can easily hold him responsible for that because we told him about this weeks ago and he never did anything about it, but I'm wondering about the entire situation and whether or not I can approach him for help with the entire bill, like say paying a big percentage. Thoughts?
President of DDO
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 4:47:46 PM
At 12/1/2010 4:08:46 PM, theLwerd wrote:
The former tenant of our apartment lives next door, and she says that she told our landlord that the toilet was broken last year and he never did anything. Is he responsible for the damage considering he should have given us an apartment in good condition?

Depends. Normally there is a grace period where tenants are supposed to list all faults within a rental place, which then becomes part of the evaluation at the end of the contract. That said, faulty fixtures whether there to begin with or not, do fall under a landlord's responsibility.

Any problems he knew about should have been fixed or at least told to us in my opinion.

Yar.

Worse, our landlord STILL has not fixed the problem and he's known about it for weeks. Recently a friend came over and used the bathroom, and not knowing about the problem didn't make sure to fix the handle after use (so once again water was running for hours on end until we realized it - meaning we were charged). The water company will let us pay in installments, but I'm not sure if we're 100% responsible.

Tie off the float rod so that it's always a 'full cistern'. This should stop it refilling and draining constantly. You can't use the toilet sure, but it's better than another wtf bill till it gets fixed.

They also won't let us make a payment plan until our landlord gives them specific insurance information and proves that he's fixed the problem (none of which he did)... so we were just charged a late fee for the water company! Now I know I can easily hold him responsible for that because we told him about this weeks ago and he never did anything about it, but I'm wondering about the entire situation and whether or not I can approach him for help with the entire bill, like say paying a big percentage. Thoughts?

Check the contract. A rental agreement is x in exchange for y. That generally includes a fully functioning place.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 5:20:36 PM
The main thing renting is good for is even if the things aren't broken to begin with you can demand it is fixed, the landlord has to pay for it. If not then they can be sued, and since it is costing you money you should get a nice sum if you opted for that route.
We had to get 3 new dishwashers a new toilet, and got the shower in the front bathroom fixed (well not yet....and thats the only thing that *has* been broken the whole time)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 7:52:12 PM
There are rental protection agencies in each major city - I'd look up yours for free advice.

Generally, rental protection provides that your landlord must keep the apartment in good condition. Any damage due to the lack of repair (the share of the bill above your normal monthly average) should be paid by the landlord.

Most rental protection laws also say that you can pay a repairman to fix the problem yourself, and then force your landlord to re-pay you (or withhold rent in that amount). The laws are aimed specifically at cases where the landlord has been informed of the need for repairs but refuses to take care of the problem in a timely manner.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)