Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

"Me-ternity" Leave

roun12
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 12:00:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://nypost.com...

Please. This is satire, right? Just a little joke someone at the NY Post made up, right?..... Right?
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
Vaarka
Posts: 11,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 12:35:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 12:00:20 PM, roun12 wrote:
http://nypost.com...

Please. This is satire, right? Just a little joke someone at the NY Post made up, right?..... Right?

I didn't read it all, but can I go ahead and pretend that no one actually proposed this?
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

*puffs bubble pipe*
The_Great_Amalgam
Posts: 1,130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 12:40:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 12:35:23 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 5/6/2016 12:00:20 PM, roun12 wrote:
http://nypost.com...

Please. This is satire, right? Just a little joke someone at the NY Post made up, right?..... Right?

I didn't read it all, but can I go ahead and pretend that no one actually proposed this?

To avoid the drama, I merely skimmed it, but I think it is just a lady who doesn't have kids says that a Meternity (yes they do call it that) leave would be good for all women, because of burnout syndrome.

So yeah, pretty much.
Vaarka
Posts: 11,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 12:43:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 12:40:40 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
At 5/6/2016 12:35:23 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 5/6/2016 12:00:20 PM, roun12 wrote:
http://nypost.com...

Please. This is satire, right? Just a little joke someone at the NY Post made up, right?..... Right?

I didn't read it all, but can I go ahead and pretend that no one actually proposed this?

To avoid the drama, I merely skimmed it, but I think it is just a lady who doesn't have kids says that a Meternity (yes they do call it that) leave would be good for all women, because of burnout syndrome.

So yeah, pretty much.

Or...they could give them a few day break or something. The point of maternity leave is for women who are pregnant, or have children to take care of, as compared to someone who just wants a break because they've been working a lot.
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

*puffs bubble pipe*
The_Great_Amalgam
Posts: 1,130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 12:53:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 12:43:59 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 5/6/2016 12:40:40 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
At 5/6/2016 12:35:23 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 5/6/2016 12:00:20 PM, roun12 wrote:
http://nypost.com...

Please. This is satire, right? Just a little joke someone at the NY Post made up, right?..... Right?

I didn't read it all, but can I go ahead and pretend that no one actually proposed this?

To avoid the drama, I merely skimmed it, but I think it is just a lady who doesn't have kids says that a Meternity (yes they do call it that) leave would be good for all women, because of burnout syndrome.

So yeah, pretty much.

Or...they could give them a few day break or something. The point of maternity leave is for women who are pregnant, or have children to take care of, as compared to someone who just wants a break because they've been working a lot.

Agreed. I don't like the concept of a meternity leave (Maternity leave is fine) since it is just a break or vacation with another name, without it being one. It's a pointless label.
Daedal
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 1:13:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Americans work too hard, is the real point. Not enough vacation time. Here in France the average paid vacation time is 30 days a year.....
SkyLeach
Posts: 206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 1:46:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
the only thing I got from the article was...

"I'm a sexist and believe that as a self-deluding self-absorbed and generally just hypocritically selfish individual I want a double standard where I get extra vacation perks as well as extra attention from my whoring."

That's nice, now go on a diet you fat freak.
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...
FaustianJustice
Posts: 8,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 3:39:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 1:46:49 PM, SkyLeach wrote:
the only thing I got from the article was...

"I'm a sexist and believe that as a self-deluding self-absorbed and generally just hypocritically selfish individual I want a double standard where I get extra vacation perks as well as extra attention from my whoring."

That's nice, now go on a diet you fat freak.

I like you.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:10:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If childless women should be given "me-ternity" then so should men.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Raisor
Posts: 5,080
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:25:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 12:00:20 PM, roun12 wrote:
http://nypost.com...

Please. This is satire, right? Just a little joke someone at the NY Post made up, right?..... Right?

I was all set to jump in an defend the value of maternity leave against your maligning nickname....

By yeah this is very stupid.

It's called PTO, unpaid leave, or just taking a gap in your career. If you need time to reflect on your personal life, there are plenty of ways to do so.

If you aren't taking on the burden of parenting, you don't deserve the benefits of a special paid leave.
We gonna pull up like the ice cream truck
YYW
Posts: 43,558
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:36:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Indeed, this is stupid and the woman who came up with it is absurd.

There is, however, a lot of merit to taking a sabbatical, which is what this person clearly meant. But calling it "me-ternaty" is monstrous idiocy.
Hoppi
Posts: 1,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 5:22:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 12:00:20 PM, roun12 wrote:
http://nypost.com...

Please. This is satire, right? Just a little joke someone at the NY Post made up, right?..... Right?

OMG that's so funny.
Hoppi
Posts: 1,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 5:28:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So many great lines in this, but my favorite is
But the more I thought about it, the more I came to believe in the value of a "meternity" leave " which is, to me, a sabbatical-like break that allows women and, to a lesser degree, men to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn"t revolve around their jobs.

To a lesser degree men. Haha. I love her.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,753
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 7:45:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 1:46:49 PM, SkyLeach wrote:
the only thing I got from the article was...

"I'm a sexist and believe that as a self-deluding self-absorbed and generally just hypocritically selfish individual I want a double standard where I get extra vacation perks as well as extra attention from my whoring."

That's nice, now go on a diet you fat freak.

She advocates 'meternity' for men too.
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,753
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 7:45:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 4:36:25 PM, YYW wrote:
Indeed, this is stupid and the woman who came up with it is absurd.

There is, however, a lot of merit to taking a sabbatical, which is what this person clearly meant. But calling it "me-ternaty" is monstrous idiocy.

+1
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
SkyLeach
Posts: 206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 7:51:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 7:45:38 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 5/6/2016 1:46:49 PM, SkyLeach wrote:
the only thing I got from the article was...

"I'm a sexist and believe that as a self-deluding self-absorbed and generally just hypocritically selfish individual I want a double standard where I get extra vacation perks as well as extra attention from my whoring."

That's nice, now go on a diet you fat freak.

She advocates 'meternity' for men too.

thin-veiled attempt at covering naked bigotry, about as effective as a gossamer shroud for preserving modesty
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...
Danielle
Posts: 25,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 9:51:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 7:51:42 PM, SkyLeach wrote:
thin-veiled attempt at covering naked bigotry, about as effective as a gossamer shroud for preserving modesty

I don't see how it's bigotry if she proposes this "sabbatical" for both men and women. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think this woman is a crazy b!tch. While I get that being a new parent is extremely tiresome and hard, I don't think parents should get time off on account of their choice to have a kid -- not if others can't have time off for making different choices.

I have a paraplegic father and no siblings to help me take care of him, yet I have to take off from work all the time (using all my vacation days) for his care. Seeing my coworkers get to take off for their kids (be it they are sick, a parent-teacher conference, etc.) while I have to use my sick or vacation days is an annoying double standard.

Similarly I think it's ridiculous and absurd that married couples get tax breaks. But that's another story.
SkyLeach
Posts: 206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 10:08:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 9:51:35 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 5/6/2016 7:51:42 PM, SkyLeach wrote:
thin-veiled attempt at covering naked bigotry, about as effective as a gossamer shroud for preserving modesty

I don't see how it's bigotry if she proposes this "sabbatical" for both men and women. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think this woman is a crazy b!tch. While I get that being a new parent is extremely tiresome and hard, I don't think parents should get time off on account of their choice to have a kid -- not if others can't have time off for making different choices.

I have a paraplegic father and no siblings to help me take care of him, yet I have to take off from work all the time (using all my vacation days) for his care. Seeing my coworkers get to take off for their kids (be it they are sick, a parent-teacher conference, etc.) while I have to use my sick or vacation days is an annoying double standard.

Similarly I think it's ridiculous and absurd that married couples get tax breaks. But that's another story.

Many social movements are actually driven from memes rather than logic.

Consider this: society often backlashes in subtle ways against pressures brought indirectly.

The meme has been correlated with the limbic region of the human brain. Law and government are paired with the frontal cortex, while the social meme is deeper, a foundation from which the government both derives all strength and stability, and on which it depends for continuation. Thus the meme operates almost like the emotion of the society.

To illustrate this in context with the current subject of conversation, the rich have manipulated law and culture to give their young unprecedented preference in resources (both physical and social). The backlash against this is often pushed as government-mandated relaxation of labor demands, mandated breaks and regulated hours. The demands of working 40, 60 or 80 hours per week just to survive (provide resources and parenting) conflict with the social imperative to provide a viable population base to avoid gene pool stagnation. Quid pro quo: maternity leave.
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...
Raisor
Posts: 5,080
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 11:31:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 9:51:35 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 5/6/2016 7:51:42 PM, SkyLeach wrote:
thin-veiled attempt at covering naked bigotry, about as effective as a gossamer shroud for preserving modesty

I don't see how it's bigotry if she proposes this "sabbatical" for both men and women. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think this woman is a crazy b!tch. While I get that being a new parent is extremely tiresome and hard, I don't think parents should get time off on account of their choice to have a kid -- not if others can't have time off for making different choices.

I have a paraplegic father and no siblings to help me take care of him, yet I have to take off from work all the time (using all my vacation days) for his care. Seeing my coworkers get to take off for their kids (be it they are sick, a parent-teacher conference, etc.) while I have to use my sick or vacation days is an annoying double standard.

Similarly I think it's ridiculous and absurd that married couples get tax breaks. But that's another story.

Society kind of needs kids...the whole "kids are the future" stuff is cheesy but it also captures a very real truth.

We should offer benefits that consider the burdens of childcare because human reproduction is central to the human experience and society. I used to think of having children as a lifestyle choice on par with choosing where to live or what level of housing to purchase, but I don't think it is right from a moral standpoint or from a social policy standpoint to treat the choice to have children the same as other personal choices. choosing to have children simply isn't the same as choosing to go on a month long bike trip across the usa. And so parental leave should not be considered the same as a sabbatical.

I don't disagree that people caring for family with extreme medical needs ought also to be given special benefits...this just much less prevalent than having children, which makes it harder to make into policy.
We gonna pull up like the ice cream truck
tejretics
Posts: 6,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 3:30:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 9:51:35 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 5/6/2016 7:51:42 PM, SkyLeach wrote:
thin-veiled attempt at covering naked bigotry, about as effective as a gossamer shroud for preserving modesty

I don't see how it's bigotry if she proposes this "sabbatical" for both men and women.

Except, she proposes this sabbatical for "all women" and "some men." She says, "But the more I thought about it, the more I came to believe in the value of a 'meternity' leave -- which is, to me, a sabbatical-like break that allows women and, to a lesser degree, men to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn"t revolve around their jobs."
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass

http://gotejas.com...
someloser
Posts: 1,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 3:41:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/6/2016 1:46:49 PM, SkyLeach wrote:
the only thing I got from the article was...

"I'm a sexist and believe that as a self-deluding self-absorbed and generally just hypocritically selfish individual I want a double standard where I get extra vacation perks as well as extra attention from my whoring."

That's nice, now go on a diet you fat freak.