Jump to topic:

Transgendered Bathroom Laws

distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 11:57:36 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
New polling has come out on these new bathroom laws and only 38% favor them and 57% oppose them. Among independents it is 35% - 58%, and even Republicans are split 48% - 48% on these new laws.
http://www.pollingreport.com...

The problem with these new laws is that many transgendered people do not simply dress up as the opposite sex. They have gone through medical procedures that make them look like the opposite sex.

Lets say I was born a woman but went through medical treatment that makes me look like a man. According to these laws I have to use the women's bathroom making all the women uncomfortable even when I look like a man.

What should happen is that transgendered people should use the bathroom that most fits their appearance.

These laws are completely unenforceable because how are we going to get police to go to all the bathroom doors to ask for ID to verify gender at birth? So why make a law at all?

Also there is virtually no record of transgendered people sexually harassing people in bathrooms. These laws try to stop a problem that doesn't exist.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 3:28:05 AM
Laws reflect the prevailing attitudes of their times. 100 years ago requiring transgender people to use the correct restroom was a great idea. Today, however, most of society supports allowing men who identify as women to use the women's restroom. As that is the prevailing attitude nowadays, we should just go ahead and permit transgenders to use the other restroom, regardless of how idiotic this is.
An acceptable compromise is that businesses be allowed to require people to use the restroom which most accurately reflects their biology if their owners so choose but businesses also be allowed to have "inclusive" restrooms if that's what they want. The best compromise of all, of course, is to eliminate sex segregation in public restrooms altogether and replace it with entirely private stalls.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 12:57:37 PM
This reminds me of a story from last weekend. We were going backpacking in Virginia (I'm from NC), and we stopped to use the bathroom, but they were single toilet bathrooms. So one of the guys (boy scouts) went into the girls bathroom, and another guy (jokingly) said "HB2, you can't go in there."

The other guy responded "yeah, but we're in Virginia," pointed at him and gave one of those "Haheheheh" laughs before closing the bathroom door.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
zoinks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 7:58:40 PM
At 5/9/2016 11:57:36 PM, distraff wrote:
New polling has come out on these new bathroom laws and only 38% favor them and 57% oppose them. Among independents it is 35% - 58%, and even Republicans are split 48% - 48% on these new laws.

The problem with these new laws is that many transgendered people do not simply dress up as the opposite sex. They have gone through medical procedures that make them look like the opposite sex.

Lets say I was born a woman but went through medical treatment that makes me look like a man. According to these laws I have to use the women's bathroom making all the women uncomfortable even when I look like a man.

What should happen is that transgendered people should use the bathroom that most fits their appearance.

These laws are completely unenforceable because how are we going to get police to go to all the bathroom doors to ask for ID to verify gender at birth? So why make a law at all?

Also there is virtually no record of transgendered people sexually harassing people in bathrooms. These laws try to stop a problem that doesn't exist.

Make restrooms unisex everywhere and this entire problem is solved.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:00:29 AM
At 5/10/2016 7:58:40 PM, zoinks wrote:

Or, we just don't make any new laws and keep things the way they are.
zoinks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 4:24:12 PM
At 5/11/2016 12:00:29 AM, distraff wrote:

That doesn't solve the problem, and there's no need to keep things the way they are. The entire concept of separate restrooms for genders is as antiquated as the notion that slavery is okay.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 3:09:45 AM
At 5/11/2016 4:24:12 PM, zoinks wrote:

That doesn't solve the problem, and there's no need to keep things the way they are. The entire concept of separate restrooms for genders is as antiquated as the notion that slavery is okay.

Well only a tiny minority of people are trans so our current bathroom system works fine.
zoinks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 9:39:21 PM
At 5/12/2016 3:09:45 AM, distraff wrote:
At 5/11/2016 4:24:12 PM, zoinks wrote:

Well only a tiny minority of people are trans so our current bathroom system works fine.

By that same reasoning, slavery should still exist since slaves were in the minority, especially when you consider there was actually legislation saying they counted as only 3/5 of a person at one point.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 6:49:16 AM
The governor's continued defenses of the law are pathetic.

http://www.advocate.com...
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Redfordnutt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 1:31:48 PM
Posted: 6 months ago

Why would you think women would feel uncomfortable seeing a person who looks like a man in the same bathroom as they are?
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 2:52:51 PM
There shouldn't be any law for either side, if you look and act the part no one should be able to tell. But to make laws changing bathrooms in all 50 states to accommodate .3% of the population is also outrageous.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 3:49:13 PM
At 5/23/2016 2:52:51 PM, Fernyx wrote:
There shouldn't be any law for either side, if you look and act the part no one should be able to tell. But to make laws changing bathrooms in all 50 states to accommodate .3% of the population is also outrageous.

It's also outrageous to be outraged by laws affecting .3% of the population.

In other words, this won't affect most people's life at all. So they should shut up about it.
President of DDO
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 4:43:04 PM
At 5/25/2016 3:49:13 PM, Danielle wrote:

In other words, this won't affect most people's life at all. So they should shut up about it.

Why are perverts demanding the government pass laws telling business owners how to operate the business restrooms, if it's no big deal?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 4:55:00 PM
At 5/25/2016 4:43:04 PM, Rukado wrote:
Why are perverts demanding the government pass laws telling business owners how to operate the business restrooms, if it's no big deal?

The laws in question refer to public property, not private property.

Trans people are tax payers and deserve to have their rights protected (and voices heard) regarding their treatment in public facilities.

Why are so many people concerned about the genitalia of other people in the bathroom? Those people are the real perverts. I don't feel comfortable being in the bathroom with anyone who gives a sh!t about what's between the legs of other bathroom goers. You all need to mind your own business. It doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever. It's creepy that you care so much.
President of DDO
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 7:29:59 PM
At 5/25/2016 4:55:00 PM, Danielle wrote:
Trans people are tax payers and deserve to have their rights protected (and voices heard) regarding their treatment in public facilities.

We should offer people with gender identity disorders psychiatric help, not pander to their sickness.

I don't feel comfortable being in the bathroom with anyone who gives a sh!t about what's between the legs of other bathroom goers.

Get your own bathroom, nazi pervert. Why do your pervert friends give a sh!t about the genders of the other people in the bathrooms with them?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 8:43:59 PM
At 5/25/2016 7:29:59 PM, Rukado wrote:
We should offer people with gender identity disorders psychiatric help, not pander to their sickness.

This isn't pandering to their "sickness." It's providing much needed protection from the aggressive violence of ignorant, intolerant bigots like yourself.

Get your own bathroom, nazi pervert. Why do your pervert friends give a sh!t about the genders of the other people in the bathrooms with them?

I'll use whatever bathroom I want and you can cry about it like a little baby. Wahhh someone's not using the "right" bathroom wahhhh. According to your dumb a$s logic this person should be using the women's room.

http://transvalid.org...

If someone saw this person using the woman's room they would assume it was a man and likely confront/attack this person. Trans people have been detained, harassed and abused for people thinking they were using the "wrong" bathroom. By allowing them to use the bathroom of their gender identity, it puts them at less risk of assault. Meanwhile them using any bathroom they please doesn't increase the risk of assault at all.

It only increases the butthurt of people afraid of anyone who isn't just like them. You poor things. I remember when I was afraid of people who were different then me. Then I turned 5.
President of DDO
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 10:22:19 PM
At 5/25/2016 8:43:59 PM, Danielle wrote:
I'll use whatever bathroom I want and you can cry about it like a little baby. Wahhh someone's not using the "right" bathroom wahhhh. According to your dumb a$s logic this person should be using the women's room.

http://transvalid.org...

According to your bigoted, stereotyping logic, a woman can't be muscular, have wear dresses? I'm so sick you ignorant hypocrites.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:16:00 PM
At 5/25/2016 3:49:13 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 5/23/2016 2:52:51 PM, Fernyx wrote:

not if it is gonna cost tax payer dollars to get new bathrooms to accommodate .3% of the population when if they look and act the part it wouldn't matter.