Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Bystander

Oliviakimmm
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 3:37:13 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
"A perpetrator is not the most dangerous enemy. The most dangerous partis the bystander because neutrality always helps the killer." How or did bystanders in Holocaust contributed?
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 7:10:39 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
If they spoke up then they too might've been put in a concentration camp. Their silence was justified.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Nivek
Posts: 242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 4:04:26 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Doesn't sound like it was directly addressed to the holocaust. Group Think, Bystander Effect and any group mentality of the sort limits helping behavior in a very significant way. I think that was what the author intended to say. To what extend does it affect the holocause, I'm not sure.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:08:06 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
The bystander effect happens because the victim is usually asking for it. Back when I had less concern for self preservation, I saved 2 different girls from abusive relationships, they both went back to them. There's women shelters, jobs are usually understanding and help you transfer to a new city. There is no reason to go back once you escape one.

I leatned my lesson. I'm not going to put my self at risk to save somebody who is just going to go back to the same situation.

Most other victims are drug addicts, alcoholics and just typically the scum of the Earth. They usually are also asking for it, fvck em!
Peepette
Posts: 1,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:24:09 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/21/2016 6:08:06 PM, Wylted wrote:
The bystander effect happens because the victim is usually asking for it. Back when I had less concern for self preservation, I saved 2 different girls from abusive relationships, they both went back to them. There's women shelters, jobs are usually understanding and help you transfer to a new city. There is no reason to go back once you escape one.

I leatned my lesson. I'm not going to put my self at risk to save somebody who is just going to go back to the same situation.

I called the cops on a neighbor who was beating his wife, it was horrible to hear. The cops came and he left. I went to check on her after the row; with a swollen lip and a bruises, she told me I should of minded my own business. I would do it again. He was a large man, she barely 100lbs. She could have been seriously injured. Also, women who go back to abusers are those who have low self worth and believe they cannot make it on their own. It's fear that keeps them going back. It might take a few times back and forth before they see the light that they are worth more than what they have.


Most other victims are drug addicts, alcoholics and just typically the scum of the Earth. They usually are also asking for it, fvck em!

Drug addict and alcoholics can never be helped until they reach their rock bottom and they willing to get help; it's a fools errand otherwise.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:52:39 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/21/2016 6:24:09 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/21/2016 6:08:06 PM, Wylted wrote:
The bystander effect happens because the victim is usually asking for it. Back when I had less concern for self preservation, I saved 2 different girls from abusive relationships, they both went back to them. There's women shelters, jobs are usually understanding and help you transfer to a new city. There is no reason to go back once you escape one.

I leatned my lesson. I'm not going to put my self at risk to save somebody who is just going to go back to the same situation.

I called the cops on a neighbor who was beating his wife, it was horrible to hear. The cops came and he left. I went to check on her after the row; with a swollen lip and a bruises, she told me I should of minded my own business. I would do it again. He was a large man, she barely 100lbs. She could have been seriously injured. Also, women who go back to abusers are those who have low self worth and believe they cannot make it on their own. It's fear that keeps them going back. It might take a few times back and forth before they see the light that they are worth more than what they have.

They always go back. Like I tell people who can't keep a woman, start beating the hell outta them and they'll love you forever.


Most other victims are drug addicts, alcoholics and just typically the scum of the Earth. They usually are also asking for it, fvck em!

Drug addict and alcoholics can never be helped until they reach their rock bottom and they willing to get help; it's a fools errand otherwise.
Peepette
Posts: 1,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 7:04:58 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/21/2016 6:52:39 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 5/21/2016 6:24:09 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/21/2016 6:08:06 PM, Wylted wrote:
The bystander effect happens because the victim is usually asking for it. Back when I had less concern for self preservation, I saved 2 different girls from abusive relationships, they both went back to them. There's women shelters, jobs are usually understanding and help you transfer to a new city. There is no reason to go back once you escape one.

I leatned my lesson. I'm not going to put my self at risk to save somebody who is just going to go back to the same situation.

I called the cops on a neighbor who was beating his wife, it was horrible to hear. The cops came and he left. I went to check on her after the row; with a swollen lip and a bruises, she told me I should of minded my own business. I would do it again. He was a large man, she barely 100lbs. She could have been seriously injured. Also, women who go back to abusers are those who have low self worth and believe they cannot make it on their own. It's fear that keeps them going back. It might take a few times back and forth before they see the light that they are worth more than what they have.

They always go back. Like I tell people who can't keep a woman, start beating the hell outta them and they'll love you forever.


That's a sad view. I do know a few women who did leave their BFs and spouses after being struck, never to return. I think more leave than stay. It's those who don't believe they can do better or fear of going it alone, especially if kids are involved, who stay.

Most other victims are drug addicts, alcoholics and just typically the scum of the Earth. They usually are also asking for it, fvck em!

Drug addict and alcoholics can never be helped until they reach their rock bottom and they willing to get help; it's a fools errand otherwise.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 7:31:11 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 7:10:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
If they spoke up then they too might've been put in a concentration camp. Their silence was justified.

Agreed. Being silent wouldn't have helped at all.

As an aside, I really hate it when people cite the quote in the OP in order to condemn people who do not support their (usually political) cause...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 11:41:31 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
If you are a bystander to an injustice and you do nothing, that doesn't mean you are condoning that injustice, it means that you simply do not want that problem to befall upon you as well. If I see something that I cannot stop, I will most likely not intervene or will try to at least rally others to provide help as well.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:28:02 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/21/2016 7:31:11 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 5/13/2016 7:10:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
If they spoke up then they too might've been put in a concentration camp. Their silence was justified.

Agreed. Not being silent wouldn't have helped at all.

As an aside, I really hate it when people cite the quote in the OP in order to condemn people who do not support their (usually political) cause...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...