Red light cameras are a fraud

roun12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 3:23:17 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/18/2016 3:17:05 PM, Akhenaten wrote:
The use of red light cameras to reduce accidents is a fraud.

....How?
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 7:39:22 PM
At 5/18/2016 3:23:17 PM, roun12 wrote:

....How?
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 2:52:58 AM

....How?

They don't reduce accidents! That's how!
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 3:26:33 AM
At 5/19/2016 2:52:58 AM, Akhenaten wrote:

....How?

Very descriptive and insightful post. So when are we are going to really know why they don't reduce accidents?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:59:21 AM

....How?

Nice argument, you should be a lawyer.
Meh!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 11:38:10 AM

You care to maybe back up that statement so we can begin to have a productive discussion?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 3:19:42 PM

....How?

How?
That's like saying a police presence does not deter crime....

I've never been in a line of cars that refused to tap the brakes when a cop was parked facing the road watching....
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 11:46:09 PM
At 5/19/2016 3:26:33 AM, Hiu wrote:

Very descriptive and insightful post. So when are we are going to really know why they don't reduce accidents?

http://redlightrobber.com...

That's how!
Mr.Wonderful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 11:31:12 PM
There's actually plenty of science showing red light cameras increase accidents, I hate to one and done this thread... but I like the short and concise format.

https://www.motorists.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 8:16:50 PM
At 5/19/2016 11:46:09 PM, Akhenaten wrote:
At 5/19/2016 3:26:33 AM, Hiu wrote:

http://redlightrobber.com...

That's how!

This misdirection of purpose falsely implies that red light running always means crashes. But traffic engineers already know this implication is false. Engineers can design a safe intersection yet force thousands of drivers a day to run its red lights. Engineers even design intersections knowingly making people run red lights so that the roadway can attain traffic efficiency goals.

Umm, red light running can cause bad accidents some of the time. Debate over.
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:21:26 AM
At 5/22/2016 8:16:50 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Umm, red light running can cause bad accidents some of the time. Debate over.

Umm, the debate is about whether or not red light cameras are a fraud. Greyparrot is over.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 5:46:25 AM

....How?

They do a good job of creating revenue from people stupid enough to pay tickets for running those cameras.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 7:32:44 AM

If people knew that red light cameras might be in place they would be less likely to jump a red light to avoid paying a fine. Jumping red lights can cause accidents so installing red light cameras should in theory reduce accidents from people jumping red lights as people will be less willing to do so due to the potential for a fine.

I admit to jumping red lights fairly regularly (on local roads where the risk of accidents or fines are virtually non existent ). I still see why it should be banned though and the law enforced. If everyone ignored traffic lights the roads would be a huge traffic jam. I assume you have recently been caught by one of these cameras?
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 12:24:03 AM
At 5/28/2016 7:32:44 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

If people knew that red light cameras might be in place they would be less likely to jump a red light to avoid paying a fine. Jumping red lights can cause accidents so installing red light cameras should in theory reduce accidents from people jumping red lights as people will be less willing to do so due to the potential for a fine.

I admit to jumping red lights fairly regularly (on local roads where the risk of accidents or fines are virtually non existent ). I still see why it should be banned though and the law enforced. If everyone ignored traffic lights the roads would be a huge traffic jam. I assume you have recently been caught by one of these cameras?

The fact remains that red light cameras are a fraud that has been willfully imposed on the public with undue cause. Red light cameras do not reduce accidents and do not save lives. If somebody runs a red light, a huge big cushion doesn't decent from heaven to save lives. It is purely a sneaky way of collecting taxes from the public and has nothing to do with traffic flow or safety. The facts and figures that the government quotes when justifying red light cameras are all fabricated and false information which has been cherry picked from unsuitable locations which favour the government stats.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 2:16:59 PM
At 5/29/2016 12:24:03 AM, Akhenaten wrote:
At 5/28/2016 7:32:44 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

The fact remains that red light cameras are a fraud that has been willfully imposed on the public with undue cause. Red light cameras do not reduce accidents and do not save lives. If somebody runs a red light, a huge big cushion doesn't decent from heaven to save lives. It is purely a sneaky way of collecting taxes from the public and has nothing to do with traffic flow or safety. The facts and figures that the government quotes when justifying red light cameras are all fabricated and false information which has been cherry picked from unsuitable locations which favour the government stats.

They don't raise a significant amount of money to be honest. In my country the red light safety cameras are shown on the sat nav so it's quite easy to avoid getting penalized if you pay attention. The point of their existence is to deter people from jumping the lights. In fairness their presence would deter me personally from jumping red lights. It's the threat of getting a fine that deters people from committing the offence.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 2:19:31 PM
At 5/29/2016 2:16:59 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

They don't raise a significant amount of money to be honest. In my country the red light safety cameras are shown on the sat nav so it's quite easy to avoid getting penalized if you pay attention. The point of their existence is to deter people from jumping the lights. In fairness their presence would deter me personally from jumping red lights. It's the threat of getting a fine that deters people from committing the offence.

It's still a fraud and a violation of human rights and freedom. They don't save any lives and they are a nuisance to people who drive on roads for a living.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 4:22:16 PM
At 5/31/2016 2:19:31 PM, Akhenaten wrote:

It's still a fraud and a violation of human rights and freedom. They don't save any lives and they are a nuisance to people who drive on roads for a living.

Lol, driving dangerously is a god given human right?
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 4:09:58 PM
At 5/31/2016 4:22:16 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

The vast majority of red light camera offenders have just missed the timing by less than .5 of a second and are still at least 3 seconds away from causing an accident. This is because there is a 3 second delay between the red light in one direction and the green light in the other direction. Thus, 99% of infringement notices are just bureaucratic nonsense.
If the government was serious about saving lives they should ban smoking. This would save 200 times more lives than would be saved by any red light cameras. But, there is no money to be made by banning smoking. Thus, the government has no incentive to do it and besides, the taxes on cigarettes is very lucrative for governments.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:27:57 PM
At 5/29/2016 2:16:59 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

I agree they are a pain but they do reduce accidents.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com...

Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 2:13:39 PM
They do more to increase revenue via tickets than increase safety. Knowing the cams are there folks gun through to make the yellow or slam on their brakes.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 1:08:33 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/1/2016 4:09:58 PM, Akhenaten wrote:
At 5/31/2016 4:22:16 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

The vast majority of red light camera offenders have just missed the timing by less than .5 of a second and are still at least 3 seconds away from causing an accident. This is because there is a 3 second delay between the red light in one direction and the green light in the other direction. Thus, 99% of infringement notices are just bureaucratic nonsense.
If the government was serious about saving lives they should ban smoking. This would save 200 times more lives than would be saved by any red light cameras. But, there is no money to be made by banning smoking. Thus, the government has no incentive to do it and besides, the taxes on cigarettes is very lucrative for governments.

I would just like to ask where you got your figures from.
What concerns me is that smokers are inflicting a death sentence on themselves while road users are at the mercy of each other's bad habits. I fully support red light and speed cameras that deal with those who think it ok to bend the rules even by a bit. If it takes a fine for them to think about it and modify their behaviour then so be it.