Jump to topic:

Is Taylor Swift Useless?

JustAnotherDebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:26:12 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
1. She couldn't sing well when she started.

2. She can't sing much better now.

3. She won't be able to sing a whole lot better in the future (judging by the empirically observed rate of progress).

Should she stick to writing music and have others sing it?
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 11:00:47 PM
Yes, she has like 2 good songs and isn't even that hot. I'd maybe let her blow me but that's about it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 11:37:38 PM
At 5/20/2016 5:26:12 AM, JustAnotherDebator wrote:

Correct.

Correct.

3. She won't be able to sing a whole lot better in the future (judging by the empirically observed rate of progress).

Correct.

Or not.
Tsar of DDO
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:30:41 AM
I work at a stadium and have seen a few of her shows. I'm not really a fan, but she puts on a good show and gets the audience worked up singing along. She does not resort to the trashy side of show biz, she keeps it clean.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:49:17 AM
I am in love with her. I love the plain and innocent look. It makes me just want to choke her, and treat her extremely rough.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 4:33:48 AM
Swift, like most other pop culture icons, is useless on the basis of "furthering" humanity. However, the fact that various jobs are built around her own wealth and leisure is a positive factor, economically, as well as the factor that she has influence (and since she is much less of a general promiscuous female like the other singers, I would say that influence is somewhat positive). In terms of uselessness, I would say that financially there is some use, but other then that, I find her to be absolutely meaningless, especially when some of her stated opinions (feminism) hasn't been too savory.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 3:51:39 PM
I honestly don't understand why people still mention Taylor Swift when Taylor series are so much better
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Mr.Wonderful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 9:07:30 AM
I don't mind Taylor... when you consider other recent pop culture icons like Beyonce, Bieber, Gaga, Hilton, Lohan, etc... Swift actually stands out as having some talent and not totally screwing up her life. Yeah she probably needs to come up with som material that isn't about her exes since its overplayed and no one cares but she isn't bad. Adelle is probably the only one I really like... but I don't hate Swift and I think she has talent, positive energy, and a strong voice whereas there are many others in her position that possess none of the above... and that should mean something. I mean lets face it if your talents are limited to getting arrested, trashing hotels, and having sex with steak on stage you probably don't deserve to be idolized and Taylor doesn't do any of that crap.
Leugen9001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 6:11:47 PM
At 5/20/2016 5:26:12 AM, JustAnotherDebator wrote:

Useless means "unable to perform its intended function." Taylor Swift is a singer; thus, if she can't sing, she is useless.

We tell you that Taylor Swift is able to sing, and therefore isn't useless. Singing is to "make musical sounds with the voice, especially words with a set tune." Since Taylor Swift's songs contain musical elements, and she sings in the songs, she is able to sing. Thus, she isn't useless.
:) nac
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 9:08:53 PM
At 5/21/2016 1:49:17 AM, Wylted wrote:
I am in love with her. I love the plain and innocent look. It makes me just want to choke her, and treat her extremely rough.

This just made me choke and spit up my iced coffee. But laugh. Thank you for that.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 9:12:27 PM
I liked Leugen's nerdy post above my last one. I agree that Taylor Swift isn't a strong singer (at all) but I think she's talented for sure. Her songs are catchy, and while that doesn't = talent in and of itself, I think she's exhibited decent songwriting skills. I particularly like the lyrics to the song "Red." I wish Ryan Adams would remake it and change the entire sound/melody. He made her 1989 album and all the songs are so much better.

https://www.youtube.com...
President of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 10:00:07 PM
At 5/21/2016 1:30:41 AM, Peepette wrote:
I work at a stadium and have seen a few of her shows. I'm not really a fan, but she puts on a good show and gets the audience worked up singing along. She does not resort to the trashy side of show biz, she keeps it clean.

All women should keep it clean.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 10:05:16 PM
At 5/22/2016 10:00:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/21/2016 1:30:41 AM, Peepette wrote:

All women should keep it clean.

Miley Cyrus turns my stomach.
JustAnotherDebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 10:31:44 PM
At 5/22/2016 9:12:27 PM, Danielle wrote:
I particularly like the lyrics to the song "Red." I wish Ryan Adam

What's so special about Red? Personally I find her last name (SWIFT) very, very interesting. It might just explain why she's so popular ...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 10:43:10 PM
At 5/22/2016 10:31:44 PM, JustAnotherDebator wrote:
What's so special about Red? Personally I find her last name (SWIFT) very, very interesting. It might just explain why she's so popular ...

I just like the lyrics. I think it's a good description of love and love lost that I can relate to.
President of DDO
JustAnotherDebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 2:34:35 AM
At 5/22/2016 10:43:10 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 5/22/2016 10:31:44 PM, JustAnotherDebator wrote:

I just like the lyrics. I think it's a good description of love and love lost that I can relate to.

A-D-M (Hebrew: EARTH, GROUND, TO BE RED)

RED = PEA* = RHEA (See RHEA).

*English to Greek transliteration.

GROUND = EPA -> RHEA (Rhea was derived from EPA. See RHEA).

RHEA = OPS* = EYE.**

*Ops is the Latin equivalent to the Greek goddess Rhea.

**Ops is Greek for eye.

EARTH = OPS* = EYE.

*Ops is the personification of Earth.

TO BE RED.

A form of TO BE is I AM.

RED = EYE (See above).

You like the song RED because for you, as a member of the DDO Elite, it symbolizes the Eye of G-d.

Up next: The significance of 1337 decoded.

Thanks to Adam_Godzilla for the encouragement. Also thanks to Blade-Of-Truth for helping me decode the Masonic use of Strong's Numbers, I couldn't have done it all without his help. If only all masons were so chatty.