Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Millennials and the work place

Mr.Wonderful
Posts: 94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 3:35:52 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
I find it absolutely awe-inspiring to see Millennials described so frequently as being lazy, entitled, and "special" and so as a Millennial... I'm here to pick a fight.

Gen X and the baby boomers must have forgotten their entitlement and privilege of growing up in an economic boom during a time of unprecedented global stability... minus the Vietnam War which by the way only had positive economic effects for our country since we were selling guns to both sides anyways while people spit on soldiers and engaged in wild sex orgies and rampant use of illicit drugs. Baby Boomers sit on the same moral high ground Sodom and Gomorrah... but who cares... we can be just as brutal, if not even more so... contrary to the apparently popular belief... I would say that Millennials have learned from their predecessors. I mean... Lets be honest, Vietnam was pretty good time if you weren't doing the fighting like my dad did... just like my buddies had a great time in Iraq and Afghanistan (well.. at least the ones who still have arms or a fully functional brain)... but hey, here's to the good times... right?

I find it amusing that we are told we have to go through years of unnecessary mind-programming and pay tuition to a bunch of people who couldn't hack it in the working world... oops... didn't mean to infringe on their safe space... I meant child molesters (see Jerry Sandusky)... ahem... I mean our most wise college professors in the first place so we can get a job making a whopping $15 an hour to support some fat bastard, his secretary, his wife, his mid-life crisis, his mistress and his cheap whores on the side. I am expected to do this with a smile, all while taking orders from some passive aggressive feminist who climbed the ladder the hard way (pun intended) and is now upset because they can't get promoted so they try to make everyone else suffer. Newsflash, I heard you the first time... I just chose not to listen... just like your boss did when you told him to pull out.

Well... I got wise and into the trades but not before these bastards clipped me. It's okay though, I have a lot of money now. I don't mind spending it exposing what our society is about to future generations so they don't make foolish decisions like sending their kids to college or supporting companies that would rather see them starve and die. The message is catching on quick and many of us are becoming independently wealthy. Baby boomers complain about a 40 hour work week... hell, I worked double that easy for half the pay that baby boomers actually have the gall to complain about... and I was told to be grateful... well, I am grateful... grateful I will never work for people like these ever again ;)

Many millennials don't work and why should they? What interest should they have in supporting this society in the least? How can they ever get out of debt and if they can't, then what benefit is a job? I love these idiots who want to know why Millennials voted for Obama and why many will vote for Hillary... so dumb... well I'll spell it out... Its because they hate you and have no reason to like you (maybe if you gave them one that would change). They want to see the system that screwed them into a life of slavery utterly destroyed and to their credit, they are doing a great job of it... Being broke under capitalism or broke under communism doesn't matter much does it? In fact communism is slightly better since you get guaranteed housing and state sponsored health care... stuff you definitely can't afford working as a corporate shill.

Here's some free "consulting" for you arrogant self-absorbed narcissists who run these demonic companies... pay people what they are actually worth. I made more (and by more I mean triple) driving a truck than I did working in an office as a "sales rep" for a well-known and respected (LOL) company with a business degree (these idiots wouldn't even provide clean bathrooms to employees)... That's messed up but its the truth. I had to develop many skills college never taught me and had I developed those skills in the first place, I could have skipped wasting my time and the little money I had then on college completely.

Wow, look I just saved you soulless bozos $150,000 in CONsulting fees and from blowing $200,000 on an independent research firm based in Mumbai to figure out why Millennials don't like their jobs (I say Mumbai cause no one is dumb enough to actually believe you would pay $200k to an American as this would go against the core corporate values of ignorance,incompetence, stupidity, apathy, and greed). It is in fact because the work itself is meaningless, repetitive, demeaning, degrading, and stupid and in no way does it require a college degree... hell I think I would've been alright after sixth grade... maybe even second... but because I'm such a generous guy, I'm gonna share the $1,000,000 secret with you... completely free of charge... right here, right now... Ready?

psst... People won't work for you unless you pay them. If they cannot pay even their smallest bills they will not work for you and will probably steal from you... not because they want to, but because they have to. Shhh... its a secret.

Also... I'll throw in another freebie... the reason why Millennials spend so much time looking at their phone at work is so they don't have to look at their boss.. because if they made eye contact they might end up with an assault charge. Also, we like to get laid and we find watching porn at work to be the best possible use of company WI-fi... something we must abuse in order to make up for our meager data plans and we consider part of our pay in lieu of an actual living wage. In fact it would be better if more porn was incorporated into company training videos so they would at least provide a sense of engagement, I mean talking monkeys are great and all but it could be a lot better. For a small fee, I'm willing to go to Vegas, find a professional escort and produce said video for you. I guarantee it will increase productivity by 200% or your money back. We have a lot of sex... its true. Its the only way we can function... we don't even enjoy it that much but its at least an hour or so of release after putting up with a whole day of mind-numbing excrement and since most millennials live in constant fear of eviction its probably the best use of an air mattress.

I know... mind-blown right?
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 5:33:04 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
The OP complains that the previous generation/s lived in a time of entitlement and privilege; there was an economic boom and allegedly no war. Apparently Mr.Wonderful has forgotten about the Cold War and the Gulf War. While they arguably did not have the same impact as Vietnam (no draft), neither have the wars in the Middle East since 9/11. And there have been market booms and busts for decades. Some might point out that the economy isn't doing too bad now, actually.

Mr.Wonderful claims we were "programmed" to go to college but those were voluntary choices we made based on the limited information made available to us. As a millennial I did not vote for Obama and I sure as sh!t won't be voting for Hillary. However he is right that frustrated youth are turning toward the demagogues who make the best promises (despite lack of pragmatism or counterproductive impact) a la Bernie Sanders. It's frustrating. But one thing I am grateful for is that millennials tend to be socially progressive. Of course taking that to the extreme (i.e. safe spaces) is ridiculous.

I also agree with the supposition that college is entirely overrated. I learned more in my 8 years on DDO (self-education) than I ever learned within the walls of a classroom, though life experience has been the greatest teacher of all. But I'm confused by the OP's simultaneous bashing of millennials and seemingly alleviating them of their obnoxiousness; he implies it is other people's fault that millennials are the way they are. Interesting. I think there's some merit to that, but I'm also a fan of personal accountability.

One thing I've noticed about millennials at work is they are hard to please. They're unhappy if they're bored but they're stressed if they're "overworked." They want a job that's neither too challenging nor too mindless. I think we've idealized the notion that we should "love what we do" and that work shouldn't in fact be work. The notion of working your way up is also frustrating to millennials who appreciate instant reward. In addition young people like shifting blame onto others. For instance "It's the previous generation's fault that everything sucks!" But really we probably have as much opportunity for success as the last few generations. What we lack is the work ethic and discipline. However valuing things above work might not be the worst thing. It's an interesting discussion for sure and I assume that (like most things) balance is key.
President of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 5:51:25 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Those past generations enjoyed no internet, lower quality television and movies (I'm serious; most of that era's TV was total s**t), less access to air conditioning, more physically demanding jobs, the constant fear of nuclear annihilation at commie hands, a much smaller selection of good music which they freaking had to pay for (we youngsters have our modern music as well as the oldie songs), NO ANIME in the West, lower quality video games which you had to insert 25 cents to play, and need I go on?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Mr.Wonderful
Posts: 94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 10:24:43 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 5:33:04 PM, Danielle wrote:
The OP complains that the previous generation/s lived in a time of entitlement and privilege; there was an economic boom and allegedly no war. Apparently Mr.Wonderful has forgotten about the Cold War and the Gulf War. While they arguably did not have the same impact as Vietnam (no draft), neither have the wars in the Middle East since 9/11. And there have been market booms and busts for decades. Some might point out that the economy isn't doing too bad now, actually.

Mr.Wonderful claims we were "programmed" to go to college but those were voluntary choices we made based on the limited information made available to us. As a millennial I did not vote for Obama and I sure as sh!t won't be voting for Hillary. However he is right that frustrated youth are turning toward the demagogues who make the best promises (despite lack of pragmatism or counterproductive impact) a la Bernie Sanders. It's frustrating. But one thing I am grateful for is that millennials tend to be socially progressive. Of course taking that to the extreme (i.e. safe spaces) is ridiculous.

I also agree with the supposition that college is entirely overrated. I learned more in my 8 years on DDO (self-education) than I ever learned within the walls of a classroom, though life experience has been the greatest teacher of all. But I'm confused by the OP's simultaneous bashing of millennials and seemingly alleviating them of their obnoxiousness; he implies it is other people's fault that millennials are the way they are. Interesting. I think there's some merit to that, but I'm also a fan of personal accountability.

One thing I've noticed about millennials at work is they are hard to please. They're unhappy if they're bored but they're stressed if they're "overworked." They want a job that's neither too challenging nor too mindless. I think we've idealized the notion that we should "love what we do" and that work shouldn't in fact be work. The notion of working your way up is also frustrating to millennials who appreciate instant reward. In addition young people like shifting blame onto others. For instance "It's the previous generation's fault that everything sucks!" But really we probably have as much opportunity for success as the last few generations. What we lack is the work ethic and discipline. However valuing things above work might not be the worst thing. It's an interesting discussion for sure and I assume that (like most things) balance is key.

Well... last I checked the numbers aren't good. Real unemployment is still hovering right around 20-25% (this is the number of people who quit looking for work, never got rehired after 6 months, are currently unpaid voluneers and a whole slew of other things the government doesn't count...

http://www.shadowstats.com...

Wages are crappier than most other places around the world... largely because of stagnant wages not keeping pace with inflation...

http://billmoyers.com...

Not gonna argue that some aren't making a killing tough...

http://gawker.com...

but it has generally been the top 3% of earners... and the middle class has seen a slow but steady collapse over the past decade while the poor have been forced deeper into poverty. The economy hasn't rebounded much at all... it was the people who made thee poor decisions that got bailed out not tthe people who have to live with them.

I don't recall saying millennials were victims... only way to be a victim is to let yourself get victimized... and to their credit their are many millennials that aren't going to give these companies a chance anymore. And yes.. I'll say it again, college is pretty much a scam the only exception is actual sciences like mathematics, engineering, and medicine, fields where applicable job skills are actually taught... but yes, for most of us college is just a huge waste of money that serves no purpose beyond learning how to be an obedient drone.
Mr.Wonderful
Posts: 94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 10:35:29 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 5:51:25 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Those past generations enjoyed no internet, lower quality television and movies (I'm serious; most of that era's TV was total s**t), less access to air conditioning, more physically demanding jobs, the constant fear of nuclear annihilation at commie hands, a much smaller selection of good music which they freaking had to pay for (we youngsters have our modern music as well as the oldie songs), NO ANIME in the West, lower quality video games which you had to insert 25 cents to play, and need I go on?

I like physically demanding work... it pays more and keeps you in shape. There's always something to fear and nuclear annihilation at the hands of terrorists instead of Russians is still in play. Video games cost 25 cents... so what... so did a half-gallon of gasoline... now video games cost $60 with a $20 monthly subscription and to be honest the games I had the most fun playing ever were Pac-Man and the original Zelda... most games today are either FPS or button mash... neither of which require much skill . I like One Piece... but lets be honest most Anime isn't that great... I grew up on DBZ etc... I can debate if you want. Bleach had promise for a while but way too many filler arcs. I'm good with the FMA remake I guess.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 10:55:49 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/23/2016 10:35:29 PM, Mr.Wonderful wrote:
At 5/22/2016 5:51:25 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Those past generations enjoyed no internet, lower quality television and movies (I'm serious; most of that era's TV was total s**t), less access to air conditioning, more physically demanding jobs, the constant fear of nuclear annihilation at commie hands, a much smaller selection of good music which they freaking had to pay for (we youngsters have our modern music as well as the oldie songs), NO ANIME in the West, lower quality video games which you had to insert 25 cents to play, and need I go on?

I like physically demanding work... it pays more and keeps you in shape. There's always something to fear and nuclear annihilation at the hands of terrorists instead of Russians is still in play. Video games cost 25 cents... so what... so did a half-gallon of gasoline... now video games cost $60 with a $20 monthly subscription and to be honest the games I had the most fun playing ever were Pac-Man and the original Zelda... most games today are either FPS or button mash... neither of which require much skill . I like One Piece... but lets be honest most Anime isn't that great... I grew up on DBZ etc... I can debate if you want. Bleach had promise for a while but way too many filler arcs. I'm good with the FMA remake I guess.

I can recommend some good anime for you if you want.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 4:38:43 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Millennials are lazy. I have worked side by side with them, I know. They just lollygag and BS with each other all day instead of working