Jump to topic:

The pay gap myth.

Redfordnutt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 1:27:44 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Does anyone out there believe that women are paid less than men for doing the exact same job for no other reason than the women's gender?
Daedal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 2:12:38 PM
This is an interesting link:

http://www.payscale.com...

Extract:

Difference in Annual Pay: To compare male and female pay on a level playing field, we found the median pay for all men in a given job, as well as breakdowns of important compensable factors such as years of experience, location, education level, etc. Then, using PayScale's proprietary MarketMatch" Algorithm, we determined what the female median pay would be using the exact same blend of compensable factors as our control male group.

What we created was an apples-to-apples comparison of what men and women make, all other factors held equal, according to actual market data. For example, the male software developer median, annual salary is $65,700, which is 4 percent more than the median female value of $63,300.

So the answer seems to be yes, but not much.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 2:45:02 PM
At 5/23/2016 2:12:38 PM, Daedal wrote:

Extract:

Difference in Annual Pay: To compare male and female pay on a level playing field, we found the median pay for all men in a given job, as well as breakdowns of important compensable factors such as years of experience, location, education level, etc. Then, using PayScale's proprietary MarketMatch" Algorithm, we determined what the female median pay would be using the exact same blend of compensable factors as our control male group.

What we created was an apples-to-apples comparison of what men and women make, all other factors held equal, according to actual market data. For example, the male software developer median, annual salary is $65,700, which is 4 percent more than the median female value of $63,300.

Even there you stated a median, even if it is in the same area of work. You have to compare 2 people's hourly wages in the same prestige of their work who bring equal education and produce the same. What I have found is that you come up with a number between men making 2% more on average or women making 2% more on average which can be attributed to statistical error. I would give links to where I found this but I do not have access on school internet, if i remember I will add them. ShoeOnHead has 20+ links, a lot with what I have said.
Daedal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 3:01:36 PM
It's true that the common assumption is that women are paid less for the same job, but it may well be that even if it's true it's not much, at least in the States. I wonder if there are any stats for Europe.
Redfordnutt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 4:32:50 PM

Extract:

So in this cited example the only variable is gender?
Redfordnutt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 4:40:01 PM

Extract:

So I've read that link you posted and it only talks about medians. That's no real proof. I'm after 2 exactly the same job roles, hours, responsibilities that pay less to a woman for being a woman. Such as someone working a 40 hour week Stan entry level retail job etc......
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 10:01:39 PM
At 5/23/2016 1:27:44 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Does anyone out there believe that women are paid less than men for doing the exact same job for no other reason than the women's gender?

Women are paid the same for the same work.

They are not paid the same for the same job title.

They also do not pay any more or any less for job training costs.
Runn92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:34:31 AM

Extract:

There are certain factors that are hard to quantify such as negotiation skills, objectivity, competitiveness, etc... these are areas that men tend to excel. Best guess is that women are paid AT LEAST as much as men for the same work.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:54:25 AM

Yes, that's why the feminist movement still exists. Then again, humanity is capable of great stupidity, so it's no surprise.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Daedal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:57:37 PM
At 5/23/2016 4:40:01 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:

Extract:

So I've read that link you posted and it only talks about medians. That's no real proof. I'm after 2 exactly the same job roles, hours, responsibilities that pay less to a woman for being a woman. Such as someone working a 40 hour week Stan entry level retail job etc......

Well, I took my time to find a link and post it. You're more than welcome to do the same, especially as you started the thread.....
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:28:06 PM
I trust the Free Market to assure that men and women are paid the same for the same work. Government distortion of the market through anti-consent laws (businesses are forced to favor women to protect themselves from discrimination lawsuits) cause women to pay paid more for the same work.

Someone's attempt to to an Apples to Apples might make the alleged pay gap vanish, but I think if someone could do an absolute Apples to Apples comparison, we'd see that women are paid more.

Cost of business provided day care, used primarily by the women. Higher cost of women's company provided healthcare. Are these factored in?

You can go to any place that has an employee serving a line of customers (air ports, grocery stores, etc) and easily see that the male employees process more customers per minute, yet they'r probably paid the same (e.g. $10 both male and female at Walmart). Speaking of Walmart, guess who costs Walmart, per individual, most of their medical coverage. In other words, objectively, female employees cost more to hire and do less work.

In industries free of government coercion, like independent software developer, professional video game players, HVAC repair, auto mechanics, etc., you know who is responsible for nearly all the productivity.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:45:51 PM
At 5/24/2016 1:54:25 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Yes, that's why the feminist movement still exists. Then again, humanity is capable of great stupidity, so it's no surprise.

They use the median earnings of all work, not same pay for same job, only 18% of the population are feminists in America, not a great amount, people realize its bull.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 7:47:32 AM

Yes I believe women are paid less than men for doing the exact same job in a lot of different areas of work. Often this Is due to women being forced to accept worse terms of employment due to the male dominance in the sector they seek employment. They know to be chosen for a role over a man they need to accept inferior terms. Obviously this is unfair and it's right people complain about and condemn the gender pay gap and work to eliminate it entirely.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 1:34:56 PM
At 5/28/2016 7:47:32 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

Yes I believe women are paid less than men for doing the exact same job in a lot of different areas of work. Often this Is due to women being forced to accept worse terms of employment due to the male dominance in the sector they seek employment. They know to be chosen for a role over a man they need to accept inferior terms. Obviously this is unfair and it's right people complain about and condemn the gender pay gap and work to eliminate it entirely.

Key word.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 2:50:00 PM
At 5/28/2016 1:34:56 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Key word.

That was the question wasn't it. Do you dispute the fact women are paid less than men for doing the same job?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 6:09:23 PM

You believe that there is a pay gap, while economists KNOW that there isn't. I would assume that those with extensive knowledge of the economic and financial sector are more credible than you are.

The wage gap argument was forged when researchers took the aggregate amount of income of women across the board and compared it to be aggregate amount of income of men across the board. This got to a point in which the wage gap was deemed to be 79% to every dollar that a male makes, which simply isn't true. When you factor education choices, mid-career interruptions, negotiation ability, working more hours, more productivity and efficiency, as well as the field that women and men go into, you will find that there is no wage gap. It's simply a myth that is perpetuated to create a much larger and overarching sense of economic justice, which always leads to tyrannical wealth redistribution.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 7:47:48 PM
At 5/28/2016 6:09:23 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

You believe that there is a pay gap, while economists KNOW that there isn't. I would assume that those with extensive knowledge of the economic and financial sector are more credible than you are.

The wage gap argument was forged when researchers took the aggregate amount of income of women across the board and compared it to be aggregate amount of income of men across the board. This got to a point in which the wage gap was deemed to be 79% to every dollar that a male makes, which simply isn't true. When you factor education choices, mid-career interruptions, negotiation ability, working more hours, more productivity and efficiency, as well as the field that women and men go into, you will find that there is no wage gap. It's simply a myth that is perpetuated to create a much larger and overarching sense of economic justice, which always leads to tyrannical wealth redistribution.

Women are paid less than men for doing the same job. FACT

http://www.forbes.com...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 7:51:01 PM
At 5/28/2016 7:47:48 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

It's a fact at all, and quoting some article from forbes isn't going to change anything. Since you love to quote articles, I'm going to do the same.

Also, here is a source from the exact same website, written by a woman, describing why the wage gap isn't real.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com...

http://thefederalist.com...

http://www.wsj.com...

http://www.cbsnews.com...

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:45:00 PM
At 5/28/2016 7:51:01 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

It's a fact at all, and quoting some article from forbes isn't going to change anything. Since you love to quote articles, I'm going to do the same.

Also, here is a source from the exact same website, written by a woman, describing why the wage gap isn't real.

In almost all career choices men are paid more than women for the same work.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:57:16 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:45:00 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

HA! You gave me a source that debunks your own stupid assertions. It's a lifetime earnings gap, not a wage gap. There's a difference between being paid less than a man overall and being paid less for the same work. The reason why there's a disparity is because of mid career interruptions such as childbirth as well as women retiring earlier.

someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:06:23 PM

Having the job/rank/occupation != doing the same work. technically right, and it doesn't prove the gap is due to sexism

The study didn't look at productivity disparities, likelihood of taking hours/days off, tendency to take non-monetary compensation (women take more), etc.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:55:08 PM
At 5/28/2016 2:50:00 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Key word.

That was the question wasn't it. Do you dispute the fact women are paid less than men for doing the same job?

No, considering that it's not a fact. I'm just pointing out the actual criticisms against specific aspects of these economic analyses made in this thread, and the studies quoted which narrows the 'wage gap' to within the margin of error once confounding variables are eliminated, compared to your 'I believe' followed by haughty dismissal with no facts behind your own assertion. It's like arguing with a creationist.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 3:22:11 AM
At 5/28/2016 10:55:08 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
It's like arguing with a creationist.

Ouch, that must have hurt.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 7:25:55 AM
At 5/28/2016 8:57:16 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 5/28/2016 8:45:00 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

HA! You gave me a source that debunks your own stupid assertions. It's a lifetime earnings gap, not a wage gap. There's a difference between being paid less than a man overall and being paid less for the same work. The reason why there's a disparity is because of mid career interruptions such as childbirth as well as women retiring earlier.

Then you either ignored or didn't notice the graph showing men are paid more than women for doing identical jobs.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 7:28:28 AM
At 5/28/2016 9:06:23 PM, someloser wrote:

Having the job/rank/occupation != doing the same work. technically right, and it doesn't prove the gap is due to sexism

Then why does a consistent trend of men being paid more than women for identical jobs exist?

The study didn't look at productivity disparities, likelihood of taking hours/days off, tendency to take non-monetary compensation (women take more), etc.

Prove women are less productive, take more time off and take more non monetary compensation.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 8:03:03 AM
At 5/29/2016 7:28:28 AM, Chloe8 wrote:
Prove women are less productive, take more time off and take more non monetary compensation.

Well, for one, if women were more productive, they wouldn't be wasting our time with the nonsense of claiming they're not less productive.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 2:08:45 PM
At 5/29/2016 8:03:03 AM, Rukado wrote:
At 5/29/2016 7:28:28 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

Well, for one, if women were more productive, they wouldn't be wasting our time with the nonsense of claiming they're not less productive.

You don't have any proof that women are less productive than men. It's an unsubstantiated opinion without supporting evidence.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 3:01:30 PM
At 5/28/2016 2:50:00 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Key word.

No, considering that it's not a fact. I'm just pointing out the actual criticisms against specific aspects of these economic analyses made in this thread, and the studies quoted which narrows the 'wage gap' to within the margin of error once confounding variables are eliminated, compared to your 'I believe' followed by haughty dismissal with no facts behind your own assertion. It's like arguing with a creationist.

It's you who is acting like a creationist. I have proof of my claims. Your making blind assertions without any evidence.

https://www.americanprogress.org...

http://www.theguardian.com...

It's a fact women earn less that men for the same work. It's not margin of error it's a clear trend.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 3:04:52 PM
At 5/29/2016 3:22:11 AM, tejretics wrote:
It's like arguing with a creationist.

Ouch, that must have hurt.

Yes that was the most painful blow I've taken on this site haha! I wonder if he has noticed my contributions on the religion forum!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 3:19:07 PM
It's a competitive market. If an employer can hire women that costs him less for the same work output, he/she will immediately replace all the men or pay the men less than the women.

If it costs the employer more for the same work output, then he/she will either replace all the women, or pay them less.

Women presently are too expensive to hire for many job roles. And men are an employer liability in other job roles.