Jump to topic:

Let's Talk Inequality of Women!

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 7:48:46 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Your favorite radical feminist is back to cause major controversy!

But seriously, the forums have been dead lately, and what better way, to cause controversy, then to talk about feminism?

I just finished school last week, so hopefully, I am able to respond to everyone that replies in this thread.

In the semester I just finished up, I had to give a persuasive speech in my Comm. class, and you guessed it! I gave a speech on "Why we Still Need Feminism in the 21st Century".

I received a lot of great feedback, but there was one man, an older man who began to argue with me on the "Wage gap" He merely stated "The reason why Women don't get paid as much, is because they don't work"

I began to laugh, as well as my classmates, and they all gained up on him to prove he was wrong, it was wonderful. :)

So, back to the OP, I will be discussing why and how Women are still treated unequally in the 21st century!

1) Women pay more for common household items than men do.

Shampoo, deodorant"even a 10-pack of socks"are among the many products that cost more for women, according to an analysis we published earlier this year.

I actually did had to do a project regarding this issue in my Women's studies class. We had to go to our local drug store, I went to Target to be specific, and we had to compare one necessity of Women, and Men. So, I looked at deodorant. I looked at the price for Women"s "Degree" deodorant, and then looked at Men"s "Degree" deodorant, and found that there was a .82 cents difference.

2) Women make 16% less money than their male counterparts.

Although the pay gap is narrowing, women in the U.S. working full- and part-time make 84% of what their male counterparts earn, according to the Pew Research Center. In other words, women need to work an extra 40 days a year to make as much as men. It's an even grimmer picture overseas: Women worldwide make 77% the amount paid to men, according to a report from the United Nation's International Labor Organization.

3) And for black and Hispanic women, the rates are even worse.

Black women have to work 19 months to make what white men did in a year, according to the National Women's Law Center. That number is even worse for Hispanic women, the center found.

4) Female soldiers face rape and harassment.

Between one fifth and one half of female veterans were sexually harassed while on active duty, and women are more likely to leave with PTSD from rape than from actual fighting, according to a 2013 Pentagon report.

5) Retired women are twice as likely as retired men to live in poverty.

Eleven percent of women age 65 and older live below the poverty line compared with 6.6% of men, according to CNNMoney. And women of retirement age rely on a median income of about $16,000 a year, which is around $11,000 than men of the same age.

6) Women of all ages are, in fact, more likely than men to live below the poverty line.

Across the U.S., 15.5% of women live in poverty compared with 11.9% of men, according to a report from the Institute for Women's Policy Research. That number worsens for black, Hispanic and Native American women. Worldwide, the majority of the more than 1 billion people living in poverty are women, according to the U.N.

Source: http://www.marieclaire.com...
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 8:41:35 PM
At 5/23/2016 8:32:39 PM, Daedal wrote:
Good post.

Thank you. :)
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 8:58:06 PM
At 5/23/2016 7:48:46 PM, Rosalie wrote:

But seriously, the forums have been dead lately, and what better way, to cause controversy, then to talk about feminism?

I just finished school last week, so hopefully, I am able to respond to everyone that replies in this thread.

In the semester I just finished up, I had to give a persuasive speech in my Comm. class, and you guessed it! I gave a speech on "Why we Still Need Feminism in the 21st Century".

I received a lot of great feedback, but there was one man, an older man who began to argue with me on the "Wage gap" He merely stated "The reason why Women don't get paid as much, is because they don't work"

I began to laugh, as well as my classmates, and they all gained up on him to prove he was wrong, it was wonderful. :)

So, back to the OP, I will be discussing why and how Women are still treated unequally in the 21st century!

Shampoo, deodorant"even a 10-pack of socks"are among the many products that cost more for women, according to an analysis we published earlier this year.

I actually did had to do a project regarding this issue in my Women's studies class. We had to go to our local drug store, I went to Target to be specific, and we had to compare one necessity of Women, and Men. So, I looked at deodorant. I looked at the price for Women"s "Degree" deodorant, and then looked at Men"s "Degree" deodorant, and found that there was a .82 cents difference.

Although the pay gap is narrowing, women in the U.S. working full- and part-time make 84% of what their male counterparts earn, according to the Pew Research Center. In other words, women need to work an extra 40 days a year to make as much as men. It's an even grimmer picture overseas: Women worldwide make 77% the amount paid to men, according to a report from the United Nation's International Labor Organization.

Black women have to work 19 months to make what white men did in a year, according to the National Women's Law Center. That number is even worse for Hispanic women, the center found.

Between one fifth and one half of female veterans were sexually harassed while on active duty, and women are more likely to leave with PTSD from rape than from actual fighting, according to a 2013 Pentagon report.

Eleven percent of women age 65 and older live below the poverty line compared with 6.6% of men, according to CNNMoney. And women of retirement age rely on a median income of about $16,000 a year, which is around $11,000 than men of the same age.

6) Women of all ages are, in fact, more likely than men to live below the poverty line.

Across the U.S., 15.5% of women live in poverty compared with 11.9% of men, according to a report from the Institute for Women's Policy Research. That number worsens for black, Hispanic and Native American women. Worldwide, the majority of the more than 1 billion people living in poverty are women, according to the U.N.

Support
Meh!
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 8:59:19 PM
At 5/23/2016 8:58:06 PM, Axonly wrote:

Support

Pardon?

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 9:24:38 PM
So...do you want me to say "alright, cool! Good research Rose!"
Or do you want me to say something that goes against something you said and start an argument. I'm tired enough to do both.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 10:30:46 PM
At 5/23/2016 9:24:38 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Or do you want me to say something that goes against something you said and start an argument. I'm tired enough to do both.

Generally, you're suppose to say what you agree, and or disagree with in a forum. XD

someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 10:39:44 PM

A verbal sleight of hand. None of these products cost more for women per se, it's the female "version" that costs more. women choosing to purchase that, over the male one, is entirely up to them.

Although the pay gap is narrowing, women in the U.S. working full- and part-time make 84% of what their male counterparts earn, according to the Pew Research Center. In other words, women need to work an extra 40 days a year to make as much as men.
Not sure what this is supposed to indicate. Pew only reported a mean, unadjusted gap... there are a variety of obvious confounding factors that would likely make it disappear (hours worked, tendency to take non-monetary compensation, productivity disparities, career preference, educational disparities, behavior/goals within workplace, etc.)

See above

A valid issue. not sure how it supports OP's case that feminism is still necessary... given that feminists were the ones who pushed for women in combat roles in the first place (itself a silly idea).

Points 5 and 6 don't seem particularly misleading.

Casually left out are the disparities in workplace deaths, risk of being murdered, active disenfranchisement in the legal system, and favoritism within the school system.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 10:48:53 PM
There's no damn wage gap. FFS Rosalie
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 10:49:52 PM
At 5/23/2016 10:30:46 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 5/23/2016 9:24:38 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Generally, you're suppose to say what you agree, and or disagree with in a forum. XD

Well what if I want to know if you're up for some kind of argument before I say anything because I, or you, might be busy?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 10:57:02 PM
At 5/23/2016 10:39:44 PM, someloser wrote:

A verbal sleight of hand. None of these products cost more for women per se, it's the female "version" that costs more. women choosing to purchase that, over the male one, is entirely up to them.

Although the pay gap is narrowing, women in the U.S. working full- and part-time make 84% of what their male counterparts earn, according to the Pew Research Center. In other words, women need to work an extra 40 days a year to make as much as men.
Not sure what this is supposed to indicate. Pew only reported a mean, unadjusted gap... there are a variety of obvious confounding factors that would likely make it disappear (hours worked, tendency to take non-monetary compensation, productivity disparities, career preference, educational disparities, behavior/goals within workplace, etc.)

See above

A valid issue. not sure how it supports OP's case that feminism is still necessary... given that feminists were the ones who pushed for women in combat roles in the first place (itself a silly idea).

Casually left out are the disparities in workplace deaths, risk of being murdered, active disenfranchisement in the legal system, and favoritism within the school system.

+1
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Runn92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 11:34:37 PM

Good.

Of course............. while he misstated the argument, women are paid less entirely because of different skillsets and occupational choices they make than men on average. But don't let silly facts get in the way of victimhood.

Another debunked talking point: https://www.youtube.com...

Also debunked. As explained here, there's a reason women earn less on average and it's not oppression: https://www.youtube.com...

And of course, there are reasons for this that include cultural and biological factors that are unique to hispanic and blacks. I won't get into them here because, while the science and research is clear, it's quite controversial.

Maybe having women serve in the military wasn't the genius idea feminists thought it would be?

Even after women were allowed in the military, men are still more likely to die or be wounded by about a 20 to 1 ratio. No wonder women supposedly get more PTSD from rape than actual fighting.... they barely see any actual fighting or danger.

Probably because men retire later on average and women live longer and are thus more likely to live in retirement longer and live off their dead husband's life savings......... After all, men pay more into social security yet women collect more in benefits. Seriously do you feminists even bother looking into your own claims?

Yes because women make less on average for reasons described in one of the videos I linked... it's not discrimination. Also women get way more welfare and other government benefits than do men
Runn92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 11:35:52 PM

See above

This was good too!!!
Mr.Wonderful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 11:41:36 PM

Women care a lot more about how they look than men do plus theres a lot more chemicals in conditioners women use than guys and smaller socks with a higher thread count are harder to make.

Same deal having to do with the rarity of ingredients... women can actually use the same products as men and experience little difference save that their hair might not be as soft, etc. No one is forcing you to buy shampoo or deodorant marked "for women". That's consumer choice... women's products normally contain frragrance and more customized chemical mixtures so they cost more... but if you use men's shampoo your hair will be equally clean.

OK, and they do 16% less work... when was the last time you saw a guy take FMLA for maternity leave or just take time off to watch his kids? I do agree it is an unfair double standard... but guys are expected to show up no matter what. Women can generally take more time off. I have yet to work at any company that has a different pay scale for women and men in the same positions... suffice to say there would be lawsuits and riots. As companies continue to raise expectations on female employees this gap will continue to shrink. Be careful what you wish for...

..and black men and Hispanic men make less overall than white men. This definitely has to do with the overall prevalence of opportunities in black and latino communities and the fact that people are more inclined to give good jobs to people they know than people they don't regardless of skin color. It should also be noted said gap continues to shrink.

This one is true but still misleading... people caught raping people in the military face many additional penalties such as dishonorable discharge in addition to imprisonment. This should be no surprise since adrenaline and testosterone levels are much higher among service members than they are in the general population (to the point where the military actually drugs recruits to keep these levels in check- its in the kool-aid... military people know what I'm saying and yes I'm talking literal Kool-aid)... plus the psychological conditioning it takes to make a farm boy a killer... well, needless to say after you can kill someone, raping them is just a triviality. Female officers have also on occasion raped male recruits. Instances of rape are far more common in war settings than peaceful ones.

Also not surprising. Women take a lot more time off than men to support families. As a result when they retire their social security payment is lower. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that. Less pay for less work... a completely feminist argument.

Its funny but I see a lot more homeless men than women... not saying it doesn't still happen but it is a far rarer occurrence. In fact I did some stat checking on that...

http://www.statisticbrain.com...

It seems under the same conditions men are three times more likely to be homeless than women who are more likely to qualify for government assistance or have someone take them in.

ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 12:10:27 AM

There are two possible explanations for this. Women's deodorant and other household items are better than the equivalent men versions and therefore cost more, or women are too stupid to tell that they are being swindled on these goods.

This means nothing unless you control for other factors like occupation, years of experience, hours worked, etc. To say nothing of the cost of taking long maternity leaves or even quitting to raise kids.

Again, please control for other variables and then come back. Although in this case I would be slightly more inclined to believe there is a real discriminatory difference.

It seems the US military is full of rapists.

This is probably due to the fact that large numbers of women in the workplace is a relatively recent phenomenon. Lots of these elderly women probably didn't work or save a lot during the course of their lives. Not saying this is right or wrong, but it definitely isn't due to any current sexism.

The big one here would be to control for number of dependents.

Women in America are extremely well protected in today's workplace. The fact that they are poorer than men is because they are more likely to be responsible for child rearing, and also because on average they choose lower paying professions than men. Plus employers don't want to waste their training budgets. If a 25 year old woman and a 25 year old man are applying to my company, and they have the exact same resume, how do you decide which one to hire, rely on and promote? You know one of them might leave your company or at least take several months off for maternity leave. I'm not saying this explains the whole discrepancy but it definitely plays a part.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 12:36:19 AM
At 5/23/2016 10:48:53 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The 77% is here to stay and there is nothing you can do about it. When the government suddenly starts to put ridiculous mandates on employers to subsidize women, it will be great to be a man again, and once again have a fighting chance for employment.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 12:46:15 AM
At 5/24/2016 12:36:19 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

The 77% is here to stay and there is nothing you can do about it. When the government suddenly starts to put ridiculous mandates on employers to subsidize women, it will be great to be a man again, and once again have a fighting chance for employment.

Are you trolling me? There is no 77% wage gap. It's a myth.

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 12:47:41 AM
At 5/23/2016 8:59:19 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 5/23/2016 8:58:06 PM, Axonly wrote:

Support

Pardon?

As in I support this post
Meh!
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:00:06 AM

See above

I was going to jump in and disagree with the OP, however you verbalized this better than I could.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:19:03 AM
At 5/24/2016 12:46:15 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

lol!
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:23:18 AM
At 5/24/2016 1:19:03 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/24/2016 12:46:15 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

lol!

That's the same reaction I have when someone tells me that feminism is needed in the West :D

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:35:55 AM

Yes, women's products do cost more than men's. I personally purchase unscented men's deodorant at about $1.25 less than the woman's version. I'm don't have ample hips or bottom so I can get away with purchasing my work pants and jeans in the men's department for 15% less; the same with sox. Can you buy a 10 pk of women's sox? nope. Usually a 3 pk is the best you can do at the same price as a man's 10pk.

As a general average over all professions this is true. It would be more accurate if the survey were done by specific professions. Men in general compose a greater proportion of those employed in high risk professions, such as iron worker, fire personnel and the like, where higher pay is given.

It's an even grimmer picture overseas: Women worldwide make 77% the amount paid to men, according to a report from the United Nation's International Labor Organization.

This certainly is an issue, it's still a misogynistic men's club in many ways.

I'd like to see this figure in another 15 or 20 years. Most baby boomer women stayed home to raise kids due to a single income being sufficient to support most families. Some women if needed, did have jobs to supplement. At the time, most positions available to women were low wage position, therefore lower contributions to SS and savings. It wasn't until the 70's when greater numbers of women sought higher education which increased their opportunities beyond administrative, retail or service industry positions. In the 80's when wages began to stagnate through to today, it takes two good incomes to support a family, further incentivizing women for greater education and opportunities which in time will show similar contributory factors in SS and savings. We will not see an equalization of retirement income until the those born after 1965 begin to hit retirement age.

the : 6) Women of all ages are, in fact, more likely than men to live below the poverty line.

This makes sense since many women are caring for children and their expense. This in itself can limit job choices for women.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:40:00 AM

And men spend more money on porn. Honestly women could pay less for this stuff if they wanted, nobody is forcingvthem to use herbal essence.

Not when differences in experience, type of job and time on the job are considered. The gap is barely noticable. Why not just give honest reasons instead of manipulative stats?

See previous answer. Same thing applies.

I won't argue with that one, but the answer really isn't feminism. If anything feminism caused it. When you are overseas in a lawless environment it is hard to stop ignorant behavior. It's one of the reasons why women should only be allowed in support roles.

Because they live longer. Men die about two years after retirement while women live another twenty years. This has nothing to do with sexism.

Because they are more likely to have a significant other in prison. Is it really sexism against women that more men are in prison?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:42:19 AM

I can't believe no matter how many times it is so clearly pointed out that it is a myth, that she still brings it up. I think it has to do with some sick urge people have to ba a part of a disadvantaged group that they just misleadingly use deceptive stats.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:42:44 AM
At 5/24/2016 1:42:19 AM, Wylted wrote:

I can't believe no matter how many times it is so clearly pointed out that it is a myth, that she still brings it up. I think it has to do with some sick urge people have to ba a part of a disadvantaged group that they just misleadingly use deceptive stats.

That's called being a victim whenever possible.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:33:43 AM

You are not a "radical feminist".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 4:20:09 AM

Try arguing that with her instead of talking to someone you already agree with.

My money is on Rosalie
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 4:20:16 AM
At 5/24/2016 1:42:44 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

That's called being a victim whenever possible.

Try arguing that with her instead of talking to someone you already agree with.

My money is on Rosalie
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 4:20:49 AM

Sorry, wrong person
Meh!