Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Sexual Harassment Double Standard :(

Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Sexual harassment is an extreme invasion of privacy and it should NOT be practiced towards either males or females. However, it seems like females can get away with sexually harassing anyone they want. But, if males sexually harass people, they're automatically approached by a bunch of ignorant people or beaten up. Why is this? I have seen a woman grab a man's butt and a teenage girl grab a guy's crotch. Both got away with it. This is simply unfair. If a girl grabs a guy's crotch, people tell the guy he should be "lucky." If a guy grabs a girl's breasts, he is automatically a pervert. If a woman grabs a man's butt, then that is just the girl "being playful." If a man grabs a woman's butt, he's "being disrespectful and treating women like objects." If a woman catcalls a man, the man is "supposed to be happy or act on it." If a man catcalls a woman, the woman is allowed to kick the guy in the balls. This infuriates me to no end and is simply frustrating. Why is it that when a woman gets sexually harassed, everyone suddenly treats her Cinderella and asks if she's okay but if a man gets sexually harassed, no one even bothers to ask the man if he's okay or stop the harasser?! Just because men are seen as the dominant gender in society doesn't mean that they can handle everything themselves. Men aren't robots. Men have emotions too and men need help & support just as much as women do. Sexual harassment should NOT be okay, regardless of what gender the person is. AND NO, men who have logic and don't just think about sex which is 99% of men, do not enjoy being sexually harassed. In fact, they hate it because it makes them feel weak and if the man reports sexual harassment, no one will care. I would definitely hate being sexually harassed because I would feel weak and vulnerable and no, I wouldn't be able to just "shake it off" (No pun intended). Society is full of bias, ignorance, and discrimination, which is not just at all. And by the way, just because a man gets an erection when he is sexually harassed does not mean that he liked being sexually harassed. Erections are just a natural physical response that men have no control over. Anyways, enough of me ranting. I would love to read what all of you guys think about this unfair double standard in society. Also, men and women on Debate.org, if you have seen a man getting sexually harassed in public, did you come up to him and help him/tell the harasser to knock it off or did you just ignore it? Please be honest!
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,846
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:10:42 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Sexual harassment is an extreme invasion of privacy and it should NOT be practiced towards either males or females. However, it seems like females can get away with sexually harassing anyone they want. But, if males sexually harass people, they're automatically approached by a bunch of ignorant people or beaten up. Why is this? I have seen a woman grab a man's butt and a teenage girl grab a guy's crotch. Both got away with it. This is simply unfair. If a girl grabs a guy's crotch, people tell the guy he should be "lucky." If a guy grabs a girl's breasts, he is automatically a pervert. If a woman grabs a man's butt, then that is just the girl "being playful." If a man grabs a woman's butt, he's "being disrespectful and treating women like objects." If a woman catcalls a man, the man is "supposed to be happy or act on it." If a man catcalls a woman, the woman is allowed to kick the guy in the balls. This infuriates me to no end and is simply frustrating. Why is it that when a woman gets sexually harassed, everyone suddenly treats her Cinderella and asks if she's okay but if a man gets sexually harassed, no one even bothers to ask the man if he's okay or stop the harasser?! Just because men are seen as the dominant gender in society doesn't mean that they can handle everything themselves. Men aren't robots. Men have emotions too and men need help & support just as much as women do. Sexual harassment should NOT be okay, regardless of what gender the person is. AND NO, men who have logic and don't just think about sex which is 99% of men, do not enjoy being sexually harassed. In fact, they hate it because it makes them feel weak and if the man reports sexual harassment, no one will care. I would definitely hate being sexually harassed because I would feel weak and vulnerable and no, I wouldn't be able to just "shake it off" (No pun intended). Society is full of bias, ignorance, and discrimination, which is not just at all. And by the way, just because a man gets an erection when he is sexually harassed does not mean that he liked being sexually harassed. Erections are just a natural physical response that men have no control over. Anyways, enough of me ranting. I would love to read what all of you guys think about this unfair double standard in society. Also, men and women on Debate.org, if you have seen a man getting sexually harassed in public, did you come up to him and help him/tell the harasser to knock it off or did you just ignore it? Please be honest!

You seriously need to keep your hands to your self.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:10:44 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 5:10:42 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Sexual harassment is an extreme invasion of privacy and it should NOT be practiced towards either males or females. However, it seems like females can get away with sexually harassing anyone they want. But, if males sexually harass people, they're automatically approached by a bunch of ignorant people or beaten up. Why is this? I have seen a woman grab a man's butt and a teenage girl grab a guy's crotch. Both got away with it. This is simply unfair. If a girl grabs a guy's crotch, people tell the guy he should be "lucky." If a guy grabs a girl's breasts, he is automatically a pervert. If a woman grabs a man's butt, then that is just the girl "being playful." If a man grabs a woman's butt, he's "being disrespectful and treating women like objects." If a woman catcalls a man, the man is "supposed to be happy or act on it." If a man catcalls a woman, the woman is allowed to kick the guy in the balls. This infuriates me to no end and is simply frustrating. Why is it that when a woman gets sexually harassed, everyone suddenly treats her Cinderella and asks if she's okay but if a man gets sexually harassed, no one even bothers to ask the man if he's okay or stop the harasser?! Just because men are seen as the dominant gender in society doesn't mean that they can handle everything themselves. Men aren't robots. Men have emotions too and men need help & support just as much as women do. Sexual harassment should NOT be okay, regardless of what gender the person is. AND NO, men who have logic and don't just think about sex which is 99% of men, do not enjoy being sexually harassed. In fact, they hate it because it makes them feel weak and if the man reports sexual harassment, no one will care. I would definitely hate being sexually harassed because I would feel weak and vulnerable and no, I wouldn't be able to just "shake it off" (No pun intended). Society is full of bias, ignorance, and discrimination, which is not just at all. And by the way, just because a man gets an erection when he is sexually harassed does not mean that he liked being sexually harassed. Erections are just a natural physical response that men have no control over. Anyways, enough of me ranting. I would love to read what all of you guys think about this unfair double standard in society. Also, men and women on Debate.org, if you have seen a man getting sexually harassed in public, did you come up to him and help him/tell the harasser to knock it off or did you just ignore it? Please be honest!

You seriously need to keep your hands to your self.
Woah! I did not sexually harass anyone at all! I just talked about how females are more likely to be taken seriously than males when reporting sexual harassment!
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,846
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:16:01 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 6:10:44 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 6/1/2016 5:10:42 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Sexual harassment is an extreme invasion of privacy and it should NOT be practiced towards either males or females. However, it seems like females can get away with sexually harassing anyone they want. But, if males sexually harass people, they're automatically approached by a bunch of ignorant people or beaten up. Why is this? I have seen a woman grab a man's butt and a teenage girl grab a guy's crotch. Both got away with it. This is simply unfair. If a girl grabs a guy's crotch, people tell the guy he should be "lucky." If a guy grabs a girl's breasts, he is automatically a pervert. If a woman grabs a man's butt, then that is just the girl "being playful." If a man grabs a woman's butt, he's "being disrespectful and treating women like objects." If a woman catcalls a man, the man is "supposed to be happy or act on it." If a man catcalls a woman, the woman is allowed to kick the guy in the balls. This infuriates me to no end and is simply frustrating. Why is it that when a woman gets sexually harassed, everyone suddenly treats her Cinderella and asks if she's okay but if a man gets sexually harassed, no one even bothers to ask the man if he's okay or stop the harasser?! Just because men are seen as the dominant gender in society doesn't mean that they can handle everything themselves. Men aren't robots. Men have emotions too and men need help & support just as much as women do. Sexual harassment should NOT be okay, regardless of what gender the person is. AND NO, men who have logic and don't just think about sex which is 99% of men, do not enjoy being sexually harassed. In fact, they hate it because it makes them feel weak and if the man reports sexual harassment, no one will care. I would definitely hate being sexually harassed because I would feel weak and vulnerable and no, I wouldn't be able to just "shake it off" (No pun intended). Society is full of bias, ignorance, and discrimination, which is not just at all. And by the way, just because a man gets an erection when he is sexually harassed does not mean that he liked being sexually harassed. Erections are just a natural physical response that men have no control over. Anyways, enough of me ranting. I would love to read what all of you guys think about this unfair double standard in society. Also, men and women on Debate.org, if you have seen a man getting sexually harassed in public, did you come up to him and help him/tell the harasser to knock it off or did you just ignore it? Please be honest!

You seriously need to keep your hands to your self.
Woah! I did not sexually harass anyone at all! I just talked about how females are more likely to be taken seriously than males when reporting sexual harassment!

This is also after a post by you where you "accidentally" touched your teachers inappropriately several times.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Cinnamon153
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 8:29:55 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Sexual harassment is an extreme invasion of privacy and it should NOT be practiced towards either males or females. However, it seems like females can get away with sexually harassing anyone they want. But, if males sexually harass people, they're automatically approached by a bunch of ignorant people or beaten up. Why is this? I have seen a woman grab a man's butt and a teenage girl grab a guy's crotch. Both got away with it. This is simply unfair. If a girl grabs a guy's crotch, people tell the guy he should be "lucky." If a guy grabs a girl's breasts, he is automatically a pervert. If a woman grabs a man's butt, then that is just the girl "being playful." If a man grabs a woman's butt, he's "being disrespectful and treating women like objects." If a woman catcalls a man, the man is "supposed to be happy or act on it." If a man catcalls a woman, the woman is allowed to kick the guy in the balls. This infuriates me to no end and is simply frustrating. Why is it that when a woman gets sexually harassed, everyone suddenly treats her Cinderella and asks if she's okay but if a man gets sexually harassed, no one even bothers to ask the man if he's okay or stop the harasser?! Just because men are seen as the dominant gender in society doesn't mean that they can handle everything themselves. Men aren't robots. Men have emotions too and men need help & support just as much as women do. Sexual harassment should NOT be okay, regardless of what gender the person is. AND NO, men who have logic and don't just think about sex which is 99% of men, do not enjoy being sexually harassed. In fact, they hate it because it makes them feel weak and if the man reports sexual harassment, no one will care. I would definitely hate being sexually harassed because I would feel weak and vulnerable and no, I wouldn't be able to just "shake it off" (No pun intended). Society is full of bias, ignorance, and discrimination, which is not just at all. And by the way, just because a man gets an erection when he is sexually harassed does not mean that he liked being sexually harassed. Erections are just a natural physical response that men have no control over. Anyways, enough of me ranting. I would love to read what all of you guys think about this unfair double standard in society. Also, men and women on Debate.org, if you have seen a man getting sexually harassed in public, did you come up to him and help him/tell the harasser to knock it off or did you just ignore it? Please be honest!

OK. Well, firstly, the connotation of the word 'harassment' implies that some type of intimidation is occurring. So, no one on the planet would 'like' being harassed. So, when you say 'sexual harassment' it automatically is indicating something that the receiver doesn't like, there isn't any need reiterate the dislike, it's pretty evident.

Secondly, I agree with you that sexual harassment is always bad regardless of which sex is experiencing it. I think that we can agree that neither men nor women enjoy receiving unwanted sexual advances whether they are physical or not and I wasn't aware that it was popular opinion that if a man receives unwanted sexual contact that it was deemed OK socially.

Lastly, I have witnessed a male being sexually harassed twice in my life (I've also witnessed females being sexually harassed numerous times, enough that I would have to stop and think to really count all of the times and I'd probably miss a bunch of instances). The one incident was at a work Christmas party. A woman I worked with slapped the butt of a man that we worked with late into the night. He didn't like that at all and he told her so right then and there. There wasn't much for me to do about that situation since the man made it very clear that he didn't like it and the woman obviously felt rather sheepish afterwards. She was also given a written notice by the HR department for sexual harassment.

The second situation however I did interfere with. Some friends and I were at a bar and we knew the Karaoke hostess but one of my friends did not. The hostess was a lesbian and the friend who did not know her was incredibly uncomfortable with that fact. At some point during the night she had backed him up into a wall and started fondling his genitals in a very obvious effort to make him as uncomfortable as she possibly could (this whole situation was very odd and I'm not really sure what she did to back him up into the wall). I drew the line as soon as she touched him and I walked over to them, took his hand and pulled him away from her, told her that her behaviour was disgusting and then reported her behaviour to the bar manager so that he could deal with the situation. The end result was that she was no longer permitted to hostess at that bar.

So, my personal experiences aren't showing that double standard that you are speaking of, but that certainly doesn't mean that the double standard doesn't exist. I personally have witnessed far more sexual harassment aimed towards women than men (2 instances towards men vs. countless instances towards women). So, I would think that's indicating that sexual harassment towards men doesn't occur anywhere near as much or that men aren't reporting it. If men aren't reporting it, we need to somehow fix that because their bodily autonomy is just as important as a woman's is.

As a child, I was inundated with the concept that 'your private parts belong to you and no one is allowed to touch them without your permission'. I'm assuming that most children were also inundated with that information. I'm not sure at which point forget that lesson as we grow into adults. It stuck with me. Maybe all adults need to be reminded of the 'My Body' song by Peter Alsop. I'll never forget that song till the day I die (it was catchy to my 7 year old ears :) )!
We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 8:38:28 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 8:29:55 PM, Cinnamon153 wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Sexual harassment is an extreme invasion of privacy and it should NOT be practiced towards either males or females. However, it seems like females can get away with sexually harassing anyone they want. But, if males sexually harass people, they're automatically approached by a bunch of ignorant people or beaten up. Why is this? I have seen a woman grab a man's butt and a teenage girl grab a guy's crotch. Both got away with it. This is simply unfair. If a girl grabs a guy's crotch, people tell the guy he should be "lucky." If a guy grabs a girl's breasts, he is automatically a pervert. If a woman grabs a man's butt, then that is just the girl "being playful." If a man grabs a woman's butt, he's "being disrespectful and treating women like objects." If a woman catcalls a man, the man is "supposed to be happy or act on it." If a man catcalls a woman, the woman is allowed to kick the guy in the balls. This infuriates me to no end and is simply frustrating. Why is it that when a woman gets sexually harassed, everyone suddenly treats her Cinderella and asks if she's okay but if a man gets sexually harassed, no one even bothers to ask the man if he's okay or stop the harasser?! Just because men are seen as the dominant gender in society doesn't mean that they can handle everything themselves. Men aren't robots. Men have emotions too and men need help & support just as much as women do. Sexual harassment should NOT be okay, regardless of what gender the person is. AND NO, men who have logic and don't just think about sex which is 99% of men, do not enjoy being sexually harassed. In fact, they hate it because it makes them feel weak and if the man reports sexual harassment, no one will care. I would definitely hate being sexually harassed because I would feel weak and vulnerable and no, I wouldn't be able to just "shake it off" (No pun intended). Society is full of bias, ignorance, and discrimination, which is not just at all. And by the way, just because a man gets an erection when he is sexually harassed does not mean that he liked being sexually harassed. Erections are just a natural physical response that men have no control over. Anyways, enough of me ranting. I would love to read what all of you guys think about this unfair double standard in society. Also, men and women on Debate.org, if you have seen a man getting sexually harassed in public, did you come up to him and help him/tell the harasser to knock it off or did you just ignore it? Please be honest!

OK. Well, firstly, the connotation of the word 'harassment' implies that some type of intimidation is occurring. So, no one on the planet would 'like' being harassed. So, when you say 'sexual harassment' it automatically is indicating something that the receiver doesn't like, there isn't any need reiterate the dislike, it's pretty evident.

Secondly, I agree with you that sexual harassment is always bad regardless of which sex is experiencing it. I think that we can agree that neither men nor women enjoy receiving unwanted sexual advances whether they are physical or not and I wasn't aware that it was popular opinion that if a man receives unwanted sexual contact that it was deemed OK socially.

Lastly, I have witnessed a male being sexually harassed twice in my life (I've also witnessed females being sexually harassed numerous times, enough that I would have to stop and think to really count all of the times and I'd probably miss a bunch of instances). The one incident was at a work Christmas party. A woman I worked with slapped the butt of a man that we worked with late into the night. He didn't like that at all and he told her so right then and there. There wasn't much for me to do about that situation since the man made it very clear that he didn't like it and the woman obviously felt rather sheepish afterwards. She was also given a written notice by the HR department for sexual harassment.

The second situation however I did interfere with. Some friends and I were at a bar and we knew the Karaoke hostess but one of my friends did not. The hostess was a lesbian and the friend who did not know her was incredibly uncomfortable with that fact. At some point during the night she had backed him up into a wall and started fondling his genitals in a very obvious effort to make him as uncomfortable as she possibly could (this whole situation was very odd and I'm not really sure what she did to back him up into the wall). I drew the line as soon as she touched him and I walked over to them, took his hand and pulled him away from her, told her that her behaviour was disgusting and then reported her behaviour to the bar manager so that he could deal with the situation. The end result was that she was no longer permitted to hostess at that bar.

So, my personal experiences aren't showing that double standard that you are speaking of, but that certainly doesn't mean that the double standard doesn't exist. I personally have witnessed far more sexual harassment aimed towards women than men (2 instances towards men vs. countless instances towards women). So, I would think that's indicating that sexual harassment towards men doesn't occur anywhere near as much or that men aren't reporting it. If men aren't reporting it, we need to somehow fix that because their bodily autonomy is just as important as a woman's is.

As a child, I was inundated with the concept that 'your private parts belong to you and no one is allowed to touch them without your permission'. I'm assuming that most children were also inundated with that information. I'm not sure at which point forget that lesson as we grow into adults. It stuck with me. Maybe all adults need to be reminded of the 'My Body' song by Peter Alsop. I'll never forget that song till the day I die (it was catchy to my 7 year old ears :) )!
I'm so glad that you stepped in and did something instead of just looking at the man being groped! I love how you told the woman right then and there that she was disgusting and that you reported it! People like you give me hope in humanity and show that society is not all that f***** up and discriminatory. If only there were more people like you in society who are willing to step up for BOTH men and women being harassed and not just women! Have a wonderful day. And I will definitely have to check out that My Body song! :)
Cinnamon153
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:19:15 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
I'm so glad that you stepped in and did something instead of just looking at the man being groped! I love how you told the woman right then and there that she was disgusting and that you reported it! People like you give me hope in humanity and show that society is not all that f***** up and discriminatory. If only there were more people like you in society who are willing to step up for BOTH men and women being harassed and not just women! Have a wonderful day. And I will definitely have to check out that My Body song! :)

Well, I just did what I hope any decent person would do in that situation. If someone were doing that to me, I would want someone to help me too. You cannot control other people's actions, you can only control yours and lead by example.

Definitely check out the My Body song. It's so corny but awesome! I listened to it when I was writing that post and now I can't get it out of my head! LOL :)
We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:39:01 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 9:20:46 PM, Wylted wrote:
It's harder cor a woman to rape a man, so perhaps it should be taken less seriously.

Why ? is that because women sometimes wears a skirt.
It has happened . And if it has happened just once. And If women want equality . There is no less seriously, there is 2 many less seriously factors , this makes me , male. want equality.
Sexual harassment and rape I'm thinking might be different.
Unspeakable things happen to males that go unreported and it this fact , take it less seriously, that causes it to be brushed away. Imagine having to deal with saying a female is harassing you at work or wherever.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:45:02 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 9:39:01 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 6/1/2016 9:20:46 PM, Wylted wrote:
It's harder cor a woman to rape a man, so perhaps it should be taken less seriously.

Why ? is that because women sometimes wears a skirt.
It has happened . And if it has happened just once. And If women want equality . There is no less seriously, there is 2 many less seriously factors , this makes me , male. want equality.
Sexual harassment and rape I'm thinking might be different.
Unspeakable things happen to males that go unreported and it this fact , take it less seriously, that causes it to be brushed away. Imagine having to deal with saying a female is harassing you at work or wherever.

I've worked in predominantly black areas with a mostly female staff. I got big time sexually harassed. Honestly it is no big deal. I didn't feel threatened or anything, and since I was their boss it wasn't like I felt my job was in danger if I was not receptive to their advances.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:53:14 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 9:45:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/1/2016 9:39:01 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 6/1/2016 9:20:46 PM, Wylted wrote:
It's harder cor a woman to rape a man, so perhaps it should be taken less seriously.

Why ? is that because women sometimes wears a skirt.
It has happened . And if it has happened just once. And If women want equality . There is no less seriously, there is 2 many less seriously factors , this makes me , male. want equality.
Sexual harassment and rape I'm thinking might be different.
Unspeakable things happen to males that go unreported and it this fact , take it less seriously, that causes it to be brushed away. Imagine having to deal with saying a female is harassing you at work or wherever.

I've worked in predominantly black areas with a mostly female staff. I got big time sexually harassed. Honestly it is no big deal. I didn't feel threatened or anything, and since I was their boss it wasn't like I felt my job was in danger if I was not receptive to their advances.

I know , I know .
Sorry Big fella. I don't know what it is lately.
As a person that's never intentionally harmed or harassed a women. When I see posts of this nature . I feel anger for some reason. It's turning into not caring about it. Within reason . I do understand that things need to change . I just wish it would like happen. I don't think feminist Vie.......... I stop now . Sorry
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:55:24 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 9:45:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/1/2016 9:39:01 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 6/1/2016 9:20:46 PM, Wylted wrote:
It's harder cor a woman to rape a man, so perhaps it should be taken less seriously.

Why ? is that because women sometimes wears a skirt.
It has happened . And if it has happened just once. And If women want equality . There is no less seriously, there is 2 many less seriously factors , this makes me , male. want equality.
Sexual harassment and rape I'm thinking might be different.
Unspeakable things happen to males that go unreported and it this fact , take it less seriously, that causes it to be brushed away. Imagine having to deal with saying a female is harassing you at work or wherever.

I've worked in predominantly black areas with a mostly female staff. I got big time sexually harassed. Honestly it is no big deal. I didn't feel threatened or anything, and since I was their boss it wasn't like I felt my job was in danger if I was not receptive to their advances.

Can I get a hug.?
Let's hug it out
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 10:02:47 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 5:10:42 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Sexual harassment is an extreme invasion of privacy and it should NOT be practiced towards either males or females. However, it seems like females can get away with sexually harassing anyone they want. But, if males sexually harass people, they're automatically approached by a bunch of ignorant people or beaten up. Why is this? I have seen a woman grab a man's butt and a teenage girl grab a guy's crotch. Both got away with it. This is simply unfair. If a girl grabs a guy's crotch, people tell the guy he should be "lucky." If a guy grabs a girl's breasts, he is automatically a pervert. If a woman grabs a man's butt, then that is just the girl "being playful." If a man grabs a woman's butt, he's "being disrespectful and treating women like objects." If a woman catcalls a man, the man is "supposed to be happy or act on it." If a man catcalls a woman, the woman is allowed to kick the guy in the balls. This infuriates me to no end and is simply frustrating. Why is it that when a woman gets sexually harassed, everyone suddenly treats her Cinderella and asks if she's okay but if a man gets sexually harassed, no one even bothers to ask the man if he's okay or stop the harasser?! Just because men are seen as the dominant gender in society doesn't mean that they can handle everything themselves. Men aren't robots. Men have emotions too and men need help & support just as much as women do. Sexual harassment should NOT be okay, regardless of what gender the person is. AND NO, men who have logic and don't just think about sex which is 99% of men, do not enjoy being sexually harassed. In fact, they hate it because it makes them feel weak and if the man reports sexual harassment, no one will care. I would definitely hate being sexually harassed because I would feel weak and vulnerable and no, I wouldn't be able to just "shake it off" (No pun intended). Society is full of bias, ignorance, and discrimination, which is not just at all. And by the way, just because a man gets an erection when he is sexually harassed does not mean that he liked being sexually harassed. Erections are just a natural physical response that men have no control over. Anyways, enough of me ranting. I would love to read what all of you guys think about this unfair double standard in society. Also, men and women on Debate.org, if you have seen a man getting sexually harassed in public, did you come up to him and help him/tell the harasser to knock it off or did you just ignore it? Please be honest!

You seriously need to keep your hands to your self.

That's not what he said at all, and in fact, he is completely correct. There is a double standard in which a female can sexually touch a man, as well as various cases where male models or actors are told to "take their shirts off", while the same happening to a female would not only be seen as misogyny but most likely result you in jail for sexual assault or harassment.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 10:09:23 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 9:19:15 PM, Cinnamon153 wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
I'm so glad that you stepped in and did something instead of just looking at the man being groped! I love how you told the woman right then and there that she was disgusting and that you reported it! People like you give me hope in humanity and show that society is not all that f***** up and discriminatory. If only there were more people like you in society who are willing to step up for BOTH men and women being harassed and not just women! Have a wonderful day. And I will definitely have to check out that My Body song! :)

Well, I just did what I hope any decent person would do in that situation. If someone were doing that to me, I would want someone to help me too. You cannot control other people's actions, you can only control yours and lead by example.

Definitely check out the My Body song. It's so corny but awesome! I listened to it when I was writing that post and now I can't get it out of my head! LOL :)
I just listened to the song. You're right. It is corny but it's also awesome and very catchy! It's stuck in my head now and i love how the song spreads a really positive message and teaches people that they should respect other peoples' bodies and keep their hands to themselves.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 10:16:38 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 10:02:47 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 6/1/2016 5:10:42 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Sexual harassment is an extreme invasion of privacy and it should NOT be practiced towards either males or females. However, it seems like females can get away with sexually harassing anyone they want. But, if males sexually harass people, they're automatically approached by a bunch of ignorant people or beaten up. Why is this? I have seen a woman grab a man's butt and a teenage girl grab a guy's crotch. Both got away with it. This is simply unfair. If a girl grabs a guy's crotch, people tell the guy he should be "lucky." If a guy grabs a girl's breasts, he is automatically a pervert. If a woman grabs a man's butt, then that is just the girl "being playful." If a man grabs a woman's butt, he's "being disrespectful and treating women like objects." If a woman catcalls a man, the man is "supposed to be happy or act on it." If a man catcalls a woman, the woman is allowed to kick the guy in the balls. This infuriates me to no end and is simply frustrating. Why is it that when a woman gets sexually harassed, everyone suddenly treats her Cinderella and asks if she's okay but if a man gets sexually harassed, no one even bothers to ask the man if he's okay or stop the harasser?! Just because men are seen as the dominant gender in society doesn't mean that they can handle everything themselves. Men aren't robots. Men have emotions too and men need help & support just as much as women do. Sexual harassment should NOT be okay, regardless of what gender the person is. AND NO, men who have logic and don't just think about sex which is 99% of men, do not enjoy being sexually harassed. In fact, they hate it because it makes them feel weak and if the man reports sexual harassment, no one will care. I would definitely hate being sexually harassed because I would feel weak and vulnerable and no, I wouldn't be able to just "shake it off" (No pun intended). Society is full of bias, ignorance, and discrimination, which is not just at all. And by the way, just because a man gets an erection when he is sexually harassed does not mean that he liked being sexually harassed. Erections are just a natural physical response that men have no control over. Anyways, enough of me ranting. I would love to read what all of you guys think about this unfair double standard in society. Also, men and women on Debate.org, if you have seen a man getting sexually harassed in public, did you come up to him and help him/tell the harasser to knock it off or did you just ignore it? Please be honest!

You seriously need to keep your hands to your self.

That's not what he said at all, and in fact, he is completely correct. There is a double standard in which a female can sexually touch a man, as well as various cases where male models or actors are told to "take their shirts off", while the same happening to a female would not only be seen as misogyny but most likely result you in jail for sexual assault or harassment.
I agree with you 100%. When a male model/actor is asked to take his shirt off, no one seems to care and Buzzfeed always seems to make a big deal about shirtless guys but when a female model/actor is asked to take her shirt off, everyone on the internet makes a huge deal about it and claims she's being sexualized/objectified. For example, people always seem to make a big deal about the swimsuit segments in beauty pageants and the skimpy outfits in the Victoria's Secret fashion show, claiming that these women are exposing their bodies in a hypersexualized way. If the genders are reversed, no one seems to call it sexualization and many people just post about how hot the man is with his shirt off, depending on how ab-like his chest is.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 10:18:25 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 10:16:38 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 6/1/2016 10:02:47 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 6/1/2016 5:10:42 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:04:23 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Sexual harassment is an extreme invasion of privacy and it should NOT be practiced towards either males or females. However, it seems like females can get away with sexually harassing anyone they want. But, if males sexually harass people, they're automatically approached by a bunch of ignorant people or beaten up. Why is this? I have seen a woman grab a man's butt and a teenage girl grab a guy's crotch. Both got away with it. This is simply unfair. If a girl grabs a guy's crotch, people tell the guy he should be "lucky." If a guy grabs a girl's breasts, he is automatically a pervert. If a woman grabs a man's butt, then that is just the girl "being playful." If a man grabs a woman's butt, he's "being disrespectful and treating women like objects." If a woman catcalls a man, the man is "supposed to be happy or act on it." If a man catcalls a woman, the woman is allowed to kick the guy in the balls. This infuriates me to no end and is simply frustrating. Why is it that when a woman gets sexually harassed, everyone suddenly treats her Cinderella and asks if she's okay but if a man gets sexually harassed, no one even bothers to ask the man if he's okay or stop the harasser?! Just because men are seen as the dominant gender in society doesn't mean that they can handle everything themselves. Men aren't robots. Men have emotions too and men need help & support just as much as women do. Sexual harassment should NOT be okay, regardless of what gender the person is. AND NO, men who have logic and don't just think about sex which is 99% of men, do not enjoy being sexually harassed. In fact, they hate it because it makes them feel weak and if the man reports sexual harassment, no one will care. I would definitely hate being sexually harassed because I would feel weak and vulnerable and no, I wouldn't be able to just "shake it off" (No pun intended). Society is full of bias, ignorance, and discrimination, which is not just at all. And by the way, just because a man gets an erection when he is sexually harassed does not mean that he liked being sexually harassed. Erections are just a natural physical response that men have no control over. Anyways, enough of me ranting. I would love to read what all of you guys think about this unfair double standard in society. Also, men and women on Debate.org, if you have seen a man getting sexually harassed in public, did you come up to him and help him/tell the harasser to knock it off or did you just ignore it? Please be honest!

You seriously need to keep your hands to your self.

That's not what he said at all, and in fact, he is completely correct. There is a double standard in which a female can sexually touch a man, as well as various cases where male models or actors are told to "take their shirts off", while the same happening to a female would not only be seen as misogyny but most likely result you in jail for sexual assault or harassment.
I agree with you 100%. When a male model/actor is asked to take his shirt off, no one seems to care and Buzzfeed always seems to make a big deal about shirtless guys but when a female model/actor is asked to take her shirt off, everyone on the internet makes a huge deal about it and claims she's being sexualized/objectified. For example, people always seem to make a big deal about the swimsuit segments in beauty pageants and the skimpy outfits in the Victoria's Secret fashion show, claiming that these women are exposing their bodies in a hypersexualized way. If the genders are reversed, no one seems to call it sexualization and many people just post about how hot the man is with his shirt off, depending on how ab-like his chest is.

I will admit to this right here, but I enjoy watching Ellen Degeneres' show (:D), and in any occasion that a male has been on, there has always been some sort of arousal from the audience with no backlash.

I am not stating that men never objectify women, I am stating that when the roles are flipped, there is no response because we've found it completely standard if women objectify men.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.