Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Shooting at UCLA

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:55:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.latimes.com...

Gunshots were heard, and two people died, one of whom may have been the murderer.
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 9,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 7:32:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 6:55:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
http://www.latimes.com...

Gunshots were heard, and two people died, one of whom may have been the murderer.

Sh!t like this pisses me off. We have people dropping like flies every day in crime-heavy Chicago neighborhoods, but a gun goes off on a university campus and the entire police force shuts down the city. Do you hear a peep out of liberals then, who are apparently so concerned about privilege and oppression? When society has such a grotesquely disparate response to violence targeting one socioeconomic group, but that group happens to be bourgeois college students, they suddenly aren't so strident any more. If we lived in an equitable society, nobody would bat an eye at mass shootings until the real gun violence problems (50% of which are suicides, the rest of which are overwhelmingly murders with handguns) were addressed. Cowards and pampered hypocrites.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"Over her head the stars, the thoughts of God in the heavens,
Shone on the eyes of man, who had ceased to marvel and worship"
- Henry Longfellow -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 8:40:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 7:32:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:55:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
http://www.latimes.com...

Gunshots were heard, and two people died, one of whom may have been the murderer.

Sh!t like this pisses me off. We have people dropping like flies every day in crime-heavy Chicago neighborhoods, but a gun goes off on a university campus and the entire police force shuts down the city. Do you hear a peep out of liberals then, who are apparently so concerned about privilege and oppression? When society has such a grotesquely disparate response to violence targeting one socioeconomic group, but that group happens to be bourgeois college students, they suddenly aren't so strident any more. If we lived in an equitable society, nobody would bat an eye at mass shootings until the real gun violence problems (50% of which are suicides, the rest of which are overwhelmingly murders with handguns) were addressed. Cowards and pampered hypocrites.

School shootings that are terroristic in nature make the headlines pretty much regardless of the socioeconomic background of the victims. They just make for better stories than your typical crime (remember the Dylann Roof incident?). If the amount of attention stories received actually reflected their intrinsic importance the news would look very different across the board. I think the disparate response has less to do with the fact that people are "pampared hypocrites" and more to do with the fact that people are more interested in being entertained by the news than they are in using it to inform themselves about issues that matter. That's not to say that the phenomenon you describe doesn't happen (a murder in the Upper East Side of Manhattan is bound to receive more airtime than a murder in the Bronx, partly because it's a rarer event and partly because the victim is probably of higher status..."somewhere important is under attack" vs "poor people died whatever"). If the news covered stories in order of their importance, the Chicago crime problem would probably be ignored entirely and we'd spend half our time talking about global warming or something.
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
Skepsikyma
Posts: 9,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 8:58:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 8:40:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 6/1/2016 7:32:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:55:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
http://www.latimes.com...

Gunshots were heard, and two people died, one of whom may have been the murderer.

Sh!t like this pisses me off. We have people dropping like flies every day in crime-heavy Chicago neighborhoods, but a gun goes off on a university campus and the entire police force shuts down the city. Do you hear a peep out of liberals then, who are apparently so concerned about privilege and oppression? When society has such a grotesquely disparate response to violence targeting one socioeconomic group, but that group happens to be bourgeois college students, they suddenly aren't so strident any more. If we lived in an equitable society, nobody would bat an eye at mass shootings until the real gun violence problems (50% of which are suicides, the rest of which are overwhelmingly murders with handguns) were addressed. Cowards and pampered hypocrites.

School shootings that are terroristic in nature make the headlines pretty much regardless of the socioeconomic background of the victims. They just make for better stories than your typical crime (remember the Dylann Roof incident?). If the amount of attention stories received actually reflected their intrinsic importance the news would look very different across the board. I think the disparate response has less to do with the fact that people are "pampared hypocrites" and more to do with the fact that people are more interested in being entertained by the news than they are in using it to inform themselves about issues that matter. That's not to say that the phenomenon you describe doesn't happen (a murder in the Upper East Side of Manhattan is bound to receive more airtime than a murder in the Bronx, partly because it's a rarer event and partly because the victim is probably of higher status..."somewhere important is under attack" vs "poor people died whatever"). If the news covered stories in order of their importance, the Chicago crime problem would probably be ignored entirely and we'd spend half our time talking about global warming or something.

I was more pissed off about the ridiculously disproportionate police response, no doubt prompted by the hand-wringing of the affluent.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"Over her head the stars, the thoughts of God in the heavens,
Shone on the eyes of man, who had ceased to marvel and worship"
- Henry Longfellow -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 1:56:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 8:40:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 6/1/2016 7:32:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:55:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
http://www.latimes.com...

Gunshots were heard, and two people died, one of whom may have been the murderer.

Sh!t like this pisses me off. We have people dropping like flies every day in crime-heavy Chicago neighborhoods, but a gun goes off on a university campus and the entire police force shuts down the city. Do you hear a peep out of liberals then, who are apparently so concerned about privilege and oppression? When society has such a grotesquely disparate response to violence targeting one socioeconomic group, but that group happens to be bourgeois college students, they suddenly aren't so strident any more. If we lived in an equitable society, nobody would bat an eye at mass shootings until the real gun violence problems (50% of which are suicides, the rest of which are overwhelmingly murders with handguns) were addressed. Cowards and pampered hypocrites.

School shootings that are terroristic in nature make the headlines pretty much regardless of the socioeconomic background of the victims. They just make for better stories than your typical crime (remember the Dylann Roof incident?). If the amount of attention stories received actually reflected their intrinsic importance the news would look very different across the board.
Lol I only knew because about it because a UCLA friend posted about it on Facebook... I googled the news story afterwards.
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 6:01:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/2/2016 1:56:29 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/1/2016 8:40:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 6/1/2016 7:32:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:55:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
http://www.latimes.com...

Gunshots were heard, and two people died, one of whom may have been the murderer.

Sh!t like this pisses me off. We have people dropping like flies every day in crime-heavy Chicago neighborhoods, but a gun goes off on a university campus and the entire police force shuts down the city. Do you hear a peep out of liberals then, who are apparently so concerned about privilege and oppression? When society has such a grotesquely disparate response to violence targeting one socioeconomic group, but that group happens to be bourgeois college students, they suddenly aren't so strident any more. If we lived in an equitable society, nobody would bat an eye at mass shootings until the real gun violence problems (50% of which are suicides, the rest of which are overwhelmingly murders with handguns) were addressed. Cowards and pampered hypocrites.

School shootings that are terroristic in nature make the headlines pretty much regardless of the socioeconomic background of the victims. They just make for better stories than your typical crime (remember the Dylann Roof incident?). If the amount of attention stories received actually reflected their intrinsic importance the news would look very different across the board.
Lol I only knew because about it because a UCLA friend posted about it on Facebook... I googled the news story afterwards.

Is your point that the news don't focus on stories like these, or that you don't pay attention to them?
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 1:18:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/2/2016 6:01:13 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 6/2/2016 1:56:29 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/1/2016 8:40:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 6/1/2016 7:32:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/1/2016 6:55:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
http://www.latimes.com...

Gunshots were heard, and two people died, one of whom may have been the murderer.

Sh!t like this pisses me off. We have people dropping like flies every day in crime-heavy Chicago neighborhoods, but a gun goes off on a university campus and the entire police force shuts down the city. Do you hear a peep out of liberals then, who are apparently so concerned about privilege and oppression? When society has such a grotesquely disparate response to violence targeting one socioeconomic group, but that group happens to be bourgeois college students, they suddenly aren't so strident any more. If we lived in an equitable society, nobody would bat an eye at mass shootings until the real gun violence problems (50% of which are suicides, the rest of which are overwhelmingly murders with handguns) were addressed. Cowards and pampered hypocrites.

School shootings that are terroristic in nature make the headlines pretty much regardless of the socioeconomic background of the victims. They just make for better stories than your typical crime (remember the Dylann Roof incident?). If the amount of attention stories received actually reflected their intrinsic importance the news would look very different across the board.
Lol I only knew because about it because a UCLA friend posted about it on Facebook... I googled the news story afterwards.

Is your point that the news don't focus on stories like these, or that you don't pay attention to them?

My point was that I can't tell if the news focused on them, and that my posting this was not motivated by the news focusing on them.
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...