Jump to topic:

Hugging Other Males

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:30:05 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Unlike the unfair sexual harassment double standard in society, this particular topic does not frustrate me as much because it's not as serious as the double standard with sexual harassment. Why is it that when a man hugs another man, he's kind of made fun of and considered a homosexual (at least in my school) but when a woman hugs another woman, she is not made fun of or seen as lesbian? This particular topic has always interested me.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:37:51 AM
At 6/2/2016 3:30:05 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Unlike the unfair sexual harassment double standard in society, this particular topic does not frustrate me as much because it's not as serious as the double standard with sexual harassment. Why is it that when a man hugs another man, he's kind of made fun of and considered a homosexual (at least in my school) but when a woman hugs another woman, she is not made fun of or seen as lesbian? This particular topic has always interested me.

Because it's considered unusual for men to hug each other.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 4:47:08 AM

Yea its not seen as masculine. Like how little girls can hold hands and do each others hair and it adorable. Its considered feminine behavior.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 5:43:13 AM

Because America has weird cultural hangups with male affection.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 9:25:56 AM
What's up with New Yorkers? Like everytime I get friendly with one they are always super physical with pats on the back, attempted hugs or just sitting a little too close.

I actually have some racism towards new Yorkers (is that a race?)
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 10:04:09 AM

When I was at school, it wasn't considered weird for guys to hug eachother, particularly when we all left school, there was a lot of that.

I am also finding at university that plenty of heterosexual guys hug each other without it being "homosexual".
Meh!
Daedal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:25:01 AM
When I visited Nigeria many years ago, it was common to see young men walking along holding hands, not because they were gay, just because they were friends.
bhakun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 12:49:18 PM
Nothing wrong with a solid bro-hug.
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr