Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Do you want to be famous?

BearHee
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 2:49:02 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I really don"t need fame. For many people, fame is a mark of success. But for me making significant contribution to the society and the world is far more important than fame. Becoming famous is beginning of a disturbed life. Your privacy would be the focus of the public. Whenever you are going shopping with families, dating someone, or going to clubs, you would worry about paparazzi spying on you. You are always pressured by the intense attention of the media and public opinion to be careful about your every word and action.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 2:54:35 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
It's easy to get paid for nothing though. I mean Hillary Clinton can showbup some place for an hour bullsh1t and make what I make in 5 years.

Or Jazzy Jeff gets all kinds of women and probably gets paid just to show up and party at places
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 6:44:18 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/12/2016 2:49:02 AM, BearHee wrote:
I really don"t need fame. For many people, fame is a mark of success. But for me making significant contribution to the society and the world is far more important than fame. Becoming famous is beginning of a disturbed life. Your privacy would be the focus of the public. Whenever you are going shopping with families, dating someone, or going to clubs, you would worry about paparazzi spying on you. You are always pressured by the intense attention of the media and public opinion to be careful about your every word and action.

I agree - it would suck. It's why I never pursued music. I was afraid that if I was successful that I wouldn't enjoy making music anymore. Now I live the lifestyle of a "starving artist" - a series of menial jobs that allow me to still enjoy what I'm passionate about in life. Music, writing and designing and the company of my close friends and family.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,025
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 6:58:33 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/12/2016 2:49:02 AM, BearHee wrote:
I really don"t need fame. For many people, fame is a mark of success. But for me making significant contribution to the society and the world is far more important than fame. Becoming famous is beginning of a disturbed life. Your privacy would be the focus of the public. Whenever you are going shopping with families, dating someone, or going to clubs, you would worry about paparazzi spying on you. You are always pressured by the intense attention of the media and public opinion to be careful about your every word and action.

I think it would be amazingly fun to be famous. Jet setting around the world, only to be greeted everywhere by adorning fans and making a vast amount of money for various events. I'd totally date Charlize Theron and have a car collection that rivals Jay Leno.

With this said, there is a serious discussion in all this to be had: The celebrity worship culture that is eradicating our Judeo-Christian morality system. There's much that can be said about this, and I'd rather save it for a thread of its own.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 6:58:04 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/12/2016 2:49:02 AM, BearHee wrote:
I really don"t need fame. For many people, fame is a mark of success. But for me making significant contribution to the society and the world is far more important than fame. Becoming famous is beginning of a disturbed life. Your privacy would be the focus of the public. Whenever you are going shopping with families, dating someone, or going to clubs, you would worry about paparazzi spying on you. You are always pressured by the intense attention of the media and public opinion to be careful about your every word and action.

I'd like to be famous, but not as a public figure. I prefer to have a high impact factor :)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 9:59:08 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/12/2016 2:54:35 AM, Wylted wrote:
It's easy to get paid for nothing though. I mean Hillary Clinton can showbup some place for an hour bullsh1t and make what I make in 5 years.

Or Jazzy Jeff gets all kinds of women and probably gets paid just to show up and party at places

Have you ever thought about 'why'? Is Hillary Clinton simply just 'luckier' than you or is it something else- as a result of hard work for example? Hillary Clinton is a graduate of one of the best universities in the US and I'm pretty sure they don't just accept ANY student. She has had many achievements in her life and this election campaign is not easy for her. Think of the many interviews she has in a week and all the places she has to travel. Despite all of that, she still has to try her best every day to gain more supporters etc. She's not that young either and you have to admit, dealing with all the pressure is not easy. So maybe you're still not convinced but I certainly think that she deserves the money she earns (based on her diligence in the past and now).
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 2:01:22 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/14/2016 9:59:08 AM, missmozart wrote:
At 6/12/2016 2:54:35 AM, Wylted wrote:
It's easy to get paid for nothing though. I mean Hillary Clinton can showbup some place for an hour bullsh1t and make what I make in 5 years.

Or Jazzy Jeff gets all kinds of women and probably gets paid just to show up and party at places

Have you ever thought about 'why'? Is Hillary Clinton simply just 'luckier' than you or is it something else- as a result of hard work for example? Hillary Clinton is a graduate of one of the best universities in the US and I'm pretty sure they don't just accept ANY student. She has had many achievements in her life and this election campaign is not easy for her. Think of the many interviews she has in a week and all the places she has to travel. Despite all of that, she still has to try her best every day to gain more supporters etc. She's not that young either and you have to admit, dealing with all the pressure is not easy. So maybe you're still not convinced but I certainly think that she deserves the money she earns (based on her diligence in the past and now).

Who said it was luck?
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 3:51:44 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/14/2016 2:01:22 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/14/2016 9:59:08 AM, missmozart wrote:
At 6/12/2016 2:54:35 AM, Wylted wrote:
It's easy to get paid for nothing though. I mean Hillary Clinton can showbup some place for an hour bullsh1t and make what I make in 5 years.

Or Jazzy Jeff gets all kinds of women and probably gets paid just to show up and party at places

Have you ever thought about 'why'? Is Hillary Clinton simply just 'luckier' than you or is it something else- as a result of hard work for example? Hillary Clinton is a graduate of one of the best universities in the US and I'm pretty sure they don't just accept ANY student. She has had many achievements in her life and this election campaign is not easy for her. Think of the many interviews she has in a week and all the places she has to travel. Despite all of that, she still has to try her best every day to gain more supporters etc. She's not that young either and you have to admit, dealing with all the pressure is not easy. So maybe you're still not convinced but I certainly think that she deserves the money she earns (based on her diligence in the past and now).

Who said it was luck?

Well, you said "it's easy to get paid for nothing" as if implying that Hillary Clinton in fact did "nothing" to be where she is at now (ie. luck). Also, you said that "Hillary(...)can show up some place for an hour bullsh1t and make what I make in 5 years". The fact that you describe it as "bullsh1t" (excuse my language but this is a direct quote from you) makes it appear as if you didn't realise that there was more to it than "luck". So who said it was luck? Indirectly, you did.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 8:05:06 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Who said it was luck?

Well, you said "it's easy to get paid for nothing" as if implying that Hillary Clinton in fact did "nothing" to be where she is at now (ie. luck).

Nope, not that she did nothing to get there, but that once you are there it is easy, it is hard to get a passive income of a million dollars a year, but once you get it, it is all smooth sailing.

Also, you said that "Hillary(...)can show up some place for an hour bullsh1t and make what I make in 5 years". The fact that you describe it as "bullsh1t" (excuse my language but this is a direct quote from you) makes it appear as if you didn't realise that there was more to it than "luck". So who said it was luck? Indirectly, you did.

Bullshittting is a slang term for "talking".
Carolean_Karl
Posts: 60
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 8:50:59 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/12/2016 2:49:02 AM, BearHee wrote:
I really don"t need fame. For many people, fame is a mark of success. But for me making significant contribution to the society and the world is far more important than fame. Becoming famous is beginning of a disturbed life. Your privacy would be the focus of the public. Whenever you are going shopping with families, dating someone, or going to clubs, you would worry about paparazzi spying on you. You are always pressured by the intense attention of the media and public opinion to be careful about your every word and action.

I wouldn't mind being famous so long as it was for something I achieved (creating sentient AI, make contact with aliens, etc.) rather than 'being famous because I'm famous' in the way that I see a lot of celebrities are nowadays. I want the Steven Hawking kind of famous, not the Jersey Shore kind of famous.
keithprosser
Posts: 1,968
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 8:29:04 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I had never heard of Jersey Shore if that is any comfort. I googled so at least I now know know its not a person. I made the opposite error about Paris Hilton, who I thought was a hotel.

Is it a sign of old age when you realise you've never heard of most 'famous' people?