Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

The Death Penalty Hurts?

PetersSmith
Posts: 5,848
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 7:53:22 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
The Eighth Amendment decrees it that cruel and unusual punishment is prohibited. Currently the death penalty is used by 32 states and the federal government (Gregg v. Georgia). The United States is the only Western country currently applying the death penalty and was the first to develop lethal injection as method of execution. Obviously, the death penalty is considered a "big issue", with 28 people executed in 2015 (http://people.smu.edu...). For this thread we're going to be focusing on "method of execution", specifically lethal injection. "Supreme Court justices clashed Wednesday (APR 2015) over whether a lethal-injection cocktail used by several states is too painful " with one likening it to being burned alive...The first instance was the bungled execution of Clayton Lockett last April 29 " a macabre scene in which he regained consciousness and appeared to writhe in pain because, the state claims, the IV was improperly placed" (http://www.nbcnews.com...).

"Two men from Georgia and one from Arizona were executed in 2011 using thiopental the states purchased from a DreamPharma in London. All three inmates reportedly kept their eyes open long after the sodium thiopental was administered, which indicates the drug was ineffective in sedating them. The inmates would then have experienced excruciating pain, but would have been unable to express it, while the two final drugs used in the protocol paralyzed them, stopped their breathing, and induced cardiac arrest. In cases such as these, protocols for assessing the consciousness of the inmates were not followed, calling into question how the rules can be reliably enforced" (http://deathpenalty.org...).

"Dennis McGuire was executed in Lucasville, Ohio on January 17, 2014. According to reporters the execution of McGuire took more than 20 minutes and McGuire was gasping for air for 10 to 13 minutes." (http://edition.cnn.com...).

So, it is possible that lethal injection can be causing pain in those who are going to be executed. However, for some states there are choices instead of lethal injections (http://www.infoplease.com...). 15 of those 32 states offer other execution methods, including gassing, electrocution, hanging, and firing squad. It's debatable whether the switch to lethal injection is the more "humane method".

But is that even what we want? It can be argued that the death penalty should be painful or we shouldn't care if it hurts or not. So, I pose a question for those who are for capital punishment. Do you think lethal injection should be the preferred method of execution? Or do you think another method should be used? I made a poll a while ago and the general consensus is that firing squad should be the preferred method. Discuss.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bhakun
Posts: 231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 3:38:41 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I'm against capital punishment, but I'd love to participate in the discussion. Hope you don't mind.

I think there are two major things that should be considered when finding a proper method of execution.

1. Humane for the executed.
-I think the lethal injection has been shown to have serious problems. In fact I think I even read a story where the wrong chemical was injected! And the guy ended up suffering for an hour! I think the electric chair is the least painful (though, how can you tell really, right?). But I prefer the firing squad (where is there is instantaneous pain) for another reason which I will list below.
2. Humane for the executor.
-The electric chair is mostly painless, however it is not very humane for the executor. The person that turns on the chair would feel terrible if he later learned that the person S/HE killed solely was innocent (big reason why I am anti-capital punishment tbh). This is why I think the firing squad is a bit better. Whenever there is a fire squad execution held, one of the shooters has a blank in his gun (but the shooters don't know who). So no shooter is sure that it was he that killed a man who may be innocent.

Firing squad is probably the lesser of the evils.
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 11:10:45 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/14/2016 7:53:22 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
The Eighth Amendment decrees it that cruel and unusual punishment is prohibited. Currently the death penalty is used by 32 states and the federal government (Gregg v. Georgia). The United States is the only Western country currently applying the death penalty and was the first to develop lethal injection as method of execution. Obviously, the death penalty is considered a "big issue", with 28 people executed in 2015 (http://people.smu.edu...). For this thread we're going to be focusing on "method of execution", specifically lethal injection. "Supreme Court justices clashed Wednesday (APR 2015) over whether a lethal-injection cocktail used by several states is too painful " with one likening it to being burned alive...The first instance was the bungled execution of Clayton Lockett last April 29 " a macabre scene in which he regained consciousness and appeared to writhe in pain because, the state claims, the IV was improperly placed" (http://www.nbcnews.com...).

"Two men from Georgia and one from Arizona were executed in 2011 using thiopental the states purchased from a DreamPharma in London. All three inmates reportedly kept their eyes open long after the sodium thiopental was administered, which indicates the drug was ineffective in sedating them. The inmates would then have experienced excruciating pain, but would have been unable to express it, while the two final drugs used in the protocol paralyzed them, stopped their breathing, and induced cardiac arrest. In cases such as these, protocols for assessing the consciousness of the inmates were not followed, calling into question how the rules can be reliably enforced" (http://deathpenalty.org...).

"Dennis McGuire was executed in Lucasville, Ohio on January 17, 2014. According to reporters the execution of McGuire took more than 20 minutes and McGuire was gasping for air for 10 to 13 minutes." (http://edition.cnn.com...).

So, it is possible that lethal injection can be causing pain in those who are going to be executed. However, for some states there are choices instead of lethal injections (http://www.infoplease.com...). 15 of those 32 states offer other execution methods, including gassing, electrocution, hanging, and firing squad. It's debatable whether the switch to lethal injection is the more "humane method".

But is that even what we want? It can be argued that the death penalty should be painful or we shouldn't care if it hurts or not. So, I pose a question for those who are for capital punishment. Do you think lethal injection should be the preferred method of execution? Or do you think another method should be used? I made a poll a while ago and the general consensus is that firing squad should be the preferred method. Discuss.

I do not feel as though the intent to sedate is cruel or unusual before something transpires, as that is neither cruel, or unusual. All we are really doing is ironing down a better delivery method.

With regards to execution, I am genuinely surprised we just don't go with a morphine over dose.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
enlightened7
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 8:43:46 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/14/2016 7:53:22 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
The Eighth Amendment decrees it that cruel and unusual punishment is prohibited. Currently the death penalty is used by 32 states and the federal government (Gregg v. Georgia). The United States is the only Western country currently applying the death penalty and was the first to develop lethal injection as method of execution. Obviously, the death penalty is considered a "big issue", with 28 people executed in 2015 (http://people.smu.edu...). For this thread we're going to be focusing on "method of execution", specifically lethal injection. "Supreme Court justices clashed Wednesday (APR 2015) over whether a lethal-injection cocktail used by several states is too painful " with one likening it to being burned alive...The first instance was the bungled execution of Clayton Lockett last April 29 " a macabre scene in which he regained consciousness and appeared to writhe in pain because, the state claims, the IV was improperly placed" (http://www.nbcnews.com...).

"Two men from Georgia and one from Arizona were executed in 2011 using thiopental the states purchased from a DreamPharma in London. All three inmates reportedly kept their eyes open long after the sodium thiopental was administered, which indicates the drug was ineffective in sedating them. The inmates would then have experienced excruciating pain, but would have been unable to express it, while the two final drugs used in the protocol paralyzed them, stopped their breathing, and induced cardiac arrest. In cases such as these, protocols for assessing the consciousness of the inmates were not followed, calling into question how the rules can be reliably enforced" (http://deathpenalty.org...).

"Dennis McGuire was executed in Lucasville, Ohio on January 17, 2014. According to reporters the execution of McGuire took more than 20 minutes and McGuire was gasping for air for 10 to 13 minutes." (http://edition.cnn.com...).

So, it is possible that lethal injection can be causing pain in those who are going to be executed. However, for some states there are choices instead of lethal injections (http://www.infoplease.com...). 15 of those 32 states offer other execution methods, including gassing, electrocution, hanging, and firing squad. It's debatable whether the switch to lethal injection is the more "humane method".

But is that even what we want? It can be argued that the death penalty should be painful or we shouldn't care if it hurts or not. So, I pose a question for those who are for capital punishment. Do you think lethal injection should be the preferred method of execution? Or do you think another method should be used? I made a poll a while ago and the general consensus is that firing squad should be the preferred method. Discuss.

Why does it matter if these criminals feel pain? They committed awful acts and should suffer for it.

The only problem I have with the USA's capital punishment is how much money they waste on lethal injections. Literally all they need to do is fire a bullet to their head, as it would only cost like a few dollars.
Guardian66
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 8:48:28 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I agree with Enlightened 100%. We go as far to use alcohol prep pads on the location of the IV prior to lethal injection... Let's not forget do not want them to get an infection! Obviously if they are sentenced to death, they did something horrific. In that case, who really cares if they feel pain. I am sure they did not care about their victims pain whilst committing the crime. So why should we? Forget lethal injection and all of these costly ways of being "humane." One round though the running lights and game over. Cost to the tax payer: +/- .21 cents (Depending on caliber and manufacturer.)
bhakun
Posts: 231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 8:02:58 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 8:48:28 PM, Guardian66 wrote:
I agree with Enlightened 100%. We go as far to use alcohol prep pads on the location of the IV prior to lethal injection... Let's not forget do not want them to get an infection! Obviously if they are sentenced to death, they did something horrific. In that case, who really cares if they feel pain. I am sure they did not care about their victims pain whilst committing the crime. So why should we? Forget lethal injection and all of these costly ways of being "humane." One round though the running lights and game over. Cost to the tax payer: +/- .21 cents (Depending on caliber and manufacturer.)
So, criminals are terrible people because they do not care about other people's pain.

So let's not care about other people's pain.

Surprise surprise, that makes you a terrible person!
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr
Guardian66
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 10:41:50 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:02:58 PM, bhakun wrote:
At 7/8/2016 8:48:28 PM, Guardian66 wrote:
I agree with Enlightened 100%. We go as far to use alcohol prep pads on the location of the IV prior to lethal injection... Let's not forget do not want them to get an infection! Obviously if they are sentenced to death, they did something horrific. In that case, who really cares if they feel pain. I am sure they did not care about their victims pain whilst committing the crime. So why should we? Forget lethal injection and all of these costly ways of being "humane." One round though the running lights and game over. Cost to the tax payer: +/- .21 cents (Depending on caliber and manufacturer.)
So, criminals are terrible people because they do not care about other people's pain.

So let's not care about other people's pain.

Surprise surprise, that makes you a terrible person!

You are going off topic, as we are discussing about a single demographic category. My topic and that of the thread being, the condemned death row inmate and the death penalty. Your generalization and deflections on a personal level, does not address the original topic. These convicted murderers have exhausted their appeals and in the end, the death sentence is carried out in the most humane manner as prescribed by the laws of the state. If there is any collateral pain and suffering, so be it. It will never compare with the victims horrific pain and death, as well as the lifetime suffering of their family , friends, and extended generations. As you have questioned me personally I ask you this question : If any of your immediate family were viciously slaughtered by some individual, how would you react? How would you react if they were found guilty and sentenced to death? Would you really care if there was pain involved in the execution?