Jump to topic:

On visiting Florida

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 1:33:52 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Is there anyone on this forum that doesn't equate Florida to alligators on some level?

Living here, to me, I can't form an opinion, but if you hail from some place other than this state, or the southwest...

I keep reading about his poor family from Nebraska, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder over what seems like second nature to me. You don't go swimming in large bodies of water, at night. You just don't, and typically, those from here that DO engage in that, the first words out of their mouth if attacked are "Yeah, it was prolly not the best idea..."....
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 4:53:37 PM
I'm guessing that some dude moved to Florida, went swimming at night, was attacked by an alligator, and made the evening news.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 5:42:19 PM
At 6/16/2016 4:53:37 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I'm guessing that some dude moved to Florida, went swimming at night, was attacked by an alligator, and made the evening news.

No, a 2 year old wading in waters clearly marked "No Swimming" was snatched by a gator on Disney's "Grand Floridian" resort. The water said 2 year old was pulled into was part of the 7 Seas Lagoon, of which swimming is not permitted, however specific reference to gators are not made, prompting my question.

His body was recovered 16 hours later, obviously drowned.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 6:21:13 PM
It's very sad and unfortunate that a child was killed, the parents will always feel the pain of the loss of a child.

No swimming means don't go in the water, this includes wading, which these people were doing. Do signs have to be literal specific "No Water Entry" or "Warning Alligators" for before they understand their meaning. This was a horrible occurrence that could have been prevented.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 6:41:30 PM
At 6/16/2016 1:33:52 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
Is there anyone on this forum that doesn't equate Florida to alligators on some level?

Living here, to me, I can't form an opinion, but if you hail from some place other than this state, or the southwest...

I keep reading about his poor family from Nebraska, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder over what seems like second nature to me. You don't go swimming in large bodies of water, at night. You just don't, and typically, those from here that DO engage in that, the first words out of their mouth if attacked are "Yeah, it was prolly not the best idea..."....

While people may associate Florida with alligators, most probably don't expect them to be in the water at a resort. I certainly wouldn't. Also, from what I understand about alligators, being within a couple of feet of the water is almost as dangerous. So I think just telling people not to swim in the water is probably insufficient. "Hey, alligators could be in here," seems like it would be more appropriate.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 10:13:47 PM
At 6/16/2016 6:41:30 PM, Burzmali wrote:

While people may associate Florida with alligators, most probably don't expect them to be in the water at a resort. I certainly wouldn't. Also, from what I understand about alligators, being within a couple of feet of the water is almost as dangerous. So I think just telling people not to swim in the water is probably insufficient. "Hey, alligators could be in here," seems like it would be more appropriate.

I've always generally understood that you shouldn't go anywhere near fresh water in Florida unless it's a cold spring or something.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 10:51:22 PM
Yeah spent a lot of time in Florida, tourists are stupid. Even with tourists being stupid, usually gators will leave you alone.

These are the same people that swim against rip currents, or shop anywhere other than Publix.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 10:53:24 PM

It's florida, they show up in your swimming pool if you keep it uncovered
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 12:20:48 AM

You are correct in your regarding of waters in Florida, its a common occurrence that pets and other small shore dwelling animals are pretty tasty picks for gators.

Disney's posted signs are a compromise of what they call "Bad show" verse warnings. Instructing guests that gators literally might be swimming in the water while guests sun themselves on the beach sets up a "bad show" environment, and asking Disney to police its property (there is a loooooooot of it) to be gator free is unreasonable. I similarly wonder about sharks and the beach resorts, and wonder what the disconnect is that people might no longer associate appropriate danger. I know when at some of the beach resorts around Florida, sharks are a very real and appreciated concern.

Having worked at Disney (its like aright of passage for native borns here...), I understand why the specific danger wasn't hit on, but... wow.

Meh, sorry to ramble, its just such a senseless thing, and ranting about it doesn't do much for answers.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 12:55:11 AM
At 6/16/2016 10:53:24 PM, Wylted wrote:

It's florida, they show up in your swimming pool if you keep it uncovered

This is true my parents live there, if your pool is not fenced off they will find it. Further more the highway drain culverts and ponds are ripe with them.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 1:03:16 AM
At 6/17/2016 12:41:04 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
Then there is this assjack.

https://www.youtube.com...

Some people are just dumb. A wild animal is a wild animal and best left alone. Would I feed a Puma hamburg on a daily basis and not expect it to get mad when I ran out or look at me as dinner when hungry? Idiocy at its best. WILD ANIMAL is the operative term that needs to be understood.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 1:10:39 AM
At 6/17/2016 12:41:04 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
Then there is this assjack.

https://www.youtube.com...

Lol. How does someone like that live long enough to qualify for a retirement community?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -