Jump to topic:

The definition of sexism is sexist?!

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 3:33:52 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Most sites define sexism as discrimination against people based on their gender, which is true because that's what sexism is! However, there's one very serious problem I need to address!

Many websites usually include "especially against women" at the end of the definition of sexism!

This part should be banned from all websites because when some people read it, they will assume that there is no sexism against men when in reality, there is sexism against men!

This is hypocritical on so many levels! Many dictionary websites have a definition of sexism that is sexist itself! This is frustrating, annoying, and downright offensive to males AND females!
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 7:31:59 AM
At 6/17/2016 3:33:52 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Most sites define sexism as discrimination against people based on their gender, which is true because that's what sexism is! However, there's one very serious problem I need to address!

Many websites usually include "especially against women" at the end of the definition of sexism!

This part should be banned from all websites because when some people read it, they will assume that there is no sexism against men when in reality, there is sexism against men!

This is hypocritical on so many levels! Many dictionary websites have a definition of sexism that is sexist itself! This is frustrating, annoying, and downright offensive to males AND females!

Well, hold on. If someone adds, "especially against women" at the end of their definition, that implies that there is sexism against men. All it's saying is that sexism against women is somehow worse, or more common, than against men. I mean, sure, some people out there believe that you can only be sexist towards women (which is absurd), but I don't see how a rational person could read that definition and come away thinking that there's no sexism against men.

I agree that there is a lot of hyporisy when it comes to discussions of sexism though.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 2:56:42 AM
At 6/20/2016 7:31:59 AM, Cryo wrote:

Well, hold on. If someone adds, "especially against women" at the end of their definition, that implies that there is sexism against men. All it's saying is that sexism against women is somehow worse, or more common, than against men. I mean, sure, some people out there believe that you can only be sexist towards women (which is absurd), but I don't see how a rational person could read that definition and come away thinking that there's no sexism against men.

I agree that there is a lot of hyporisy when it comes to discussions of sexism though.

Can you please explain how adding especially against women at the end of the definition of sexism implies that there's sexism against men? I'm not saying there isn't sexism against men! I just want to know how that "especially against women" part implies that there's sexism against men!

And I AGREE with you that there is a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to discussions of sexism. A lot of people who argue against sexism end up being sexist themselves and stand against everything they fought for! There needs to be a revolution of some sort to greatly put an end to sexism just like there were so many revolutions that greatly put an end to racism, not that racism is completely gone but at least there's less of it!
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:58:53 PM
At 6/21/2016 2:56:42 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 6/20/2016 7:31:59 AM, Cryo wrote:

Can you please explain how adding especially against women at the end of the definition of sexism implies that there's sexism against men? I'm not saying there isn't sexism against men! I just want to know how that "especially against women" part implies that there's sexism against men!

And I AGREE with you that there is a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to discussions of sexism. A lot of people who argue against sexism end up being sexist themselves and stand against everything they fought for! There needs to be a revolution of some sort to greatly put an end to sexism just like there were so many revolutions that greatly put an end to racism, not that racism is completely gone but at least there's less of it!

I agree that it's kind of sexist, it kind of diminishes the value of sexism towards men. This also can be a reflection of our culture as a whole which sees sexism towards women as absolutely shameful while barely anyone bats an eye when it comes to sexism towards men. I'm sorry this double standard exists.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello