Jump to topic:

Schistosomiasis: Neglected tropical disease

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 9:47:19 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Schistosomiasis (I'm just going to call it "S" because come on) is a disease caused by parasitic flatworms. It afflicts slightly over 200 million people annually, 80% of which are in Sub-Saharan Africa, it is a generally nasty disease that can cause fatalities. In tropical countries, "S" is the second parasitic disease to have greatest economic impact (The first being Malaria). Despite this, it is very easily treated/prevented, costing around 0.32$ (US) per child for a year.

Based on this, I think it is something that first world countries collectively could easily help substantially reduce. Thoughts?

Also, if you want to give to a charity that deals specifically with this, the "Schistosomiasis Control Initiative" is one of the most highly rated charities (Link below).

https://www.givingwhatwecan.org...
Meh!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 1:12:07 PM
Looks like most of their budget goes to paying employees. It doesn't look like much of the money even goes to the people you intend to help, if any gets to them at all.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 12:41:27 AM
At 6/17/2016 1:12:07 PM, Wylted wrote:
Looks like most of their budget goes to paying employees. It doesn't look like much of the money even goes to the people you intend to help, if any gets to them at all.

I doubt you base this on anything, seems more likely that it is just a default response to charities.

Here you go: http://files.givewell.org...(September%202014).pdf
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 12:46:07 AM

http://www.givewell.org...

Since the other link isn't working, check the "SCI report to GiveWell"
Meh!
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 1:15:45 AM
At 6/17/2016 9:47:19 AM, Axonly wrote:
Schistosomiasis (I'm just going to call it "S" because come on) is a disease caused by parasitic flatworms. It afflicts slightly over 200 million people annually, 80% of which are in Sub-Saharan Africa, it is a generally nasty disease that can cause fatalities. In tropical countries, "S" is the second parasitic disease to have greatest economic impact (The first being Malaria). Despite this, it is very easily treated/prevented, costing around 0.32$ (US) per child for a year.

Based on this, I think it is something that first world countries collectively could easily help substantially reduce. Thoughts?

Also, if you want to give to a charity that deals specifically with this, the "Schistosomiasis Control Initiative" is one of the most highly rated charities (Link below).

How do you contract it?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 1:28:08 AM
At 6/18/2016 1:15:45 AM, Hiu wrote:

How do you contract it?

By contact with freshwater contaminated with the parasite, because of this improving sanitation will likely be beneficial in this aspect as well.
Meh!
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 1:37:18 AM
At 6/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, Axonly wrote:

How do you contract it?

By contact with freshwater contaminated with the parasite, because of this improving sanitation will likely be beneficial in this aspect as well.

gotcha...They need a good filtration system and purifier...
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 1:52:28 AM
At 6/18/2016 1:37:18 AM, Hiu wrote:

How do you contract it?

This is usually in tropical regions, they are always going to be in contact with infected water. So while filtration and purifiers are great, prevention and treatment will still be needed.
Meh!
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 2:27:04 AM

Best way to get rid of this infection is to have better hygiene systems. You can establish that with free trade and charity.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 2:34:42 AM
At 6/18/2016 1:52:28 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 6/18/2016 1:37:18 AM, Hiu wrote:

How do you contract it?

This is usually in tropical regions, they are always going to be in contact with infected water. So while filtration and purifiers are great, prevention and treatment will still be needed.

True
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 3:04:08 AM
At 6/18/2016 12:41:27 AM, Axonly wrote:

I doubt you base this on anything, seems more likely that it is just a default response to charities.

They actually list their expenses. I think it is about 30k a month for salaries, but it has been about 5 hours since I looked.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 4:18:03 AM
At 6/18/2016 2:27:04 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Best way to get rid of this infection is to have better hygiene systems. You can establish that with free trade and charity.

That would reduce infection from drinking the water and bathing in it. But won't help the cases aside from this.
Meh!
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 4:18:54 AM
At 6/18/2016 4:18:03 AM, Axonly wrote:

That would reduce infection from drinking the water and bathing in it. But won't help the cases aside from this.

That's why I said charity. Donate to build hospitals and better sanitation systems, as well as having doctors go overseas to treat it (if it's treatable).
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 4:21:41 AM
At 6/18/2016 3:04:08 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/18/2016 12:41:27 AM, Axonly wrote:

They actually list their expenses. I think it is about 30k a month for salaries, but it has been about 5 hours since I looked.

From April (2014) to September (2014) they spent 90,000 Euros on salary (12.97% of their expenditures). This is far from "most".
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 4:23:25 AM
At 6/18/2016 4:18:54 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 6/18/2016 4:18:03 AM, Axonly wrote:

That's why I said charity. Donate to build hospitals and better sanitation systems, as well as having doctors go overseas to treat it (if it's treatable).

Fair enough.
Meh!