Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

"It's just MY opinion!"

Cobalt
Posts: 991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 7:25:01 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
A front-page poll has me thinking:

So it's always been my understanding that there are facts, non-facts and opinions. A fact is something this is a verifiable truth, a non-fact is something that is a verifiable non-truth and an opinion is a belief on a matter that does not (yet) have a true/false state.

Example: The sun is hot. --Fact
Example: Humans aren't real. --Non-fact
Example: Cookies are the best. --Opinion

It is a common thing to say that people have the "right to their opinion", and I'd agree. But we see a lot that people believe in non-facts and claim that this is justified because "it's just my opinion".

Should we, as a society, tolerate a person who attempts to pass non-facts off as opinions. In other words, do we allow them the excuse of "it's just my opinion" or is it 'ok' to attempt to correct them.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 9:19:02 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/18/2016 7:25:01 PM, Cobalt wrote:
A front-page poll has me thinking:

So it's always been my understanding that there are facts, non-facts and opinions. A fact is something this is a verifiable truth, a non-fact is something that is a verifiable non-truth and an opinion is a belief on a matter that does not (yet) have a true/false state.

Example: The sun is hot. --Fact
Example: Humans aren't real. --Non-fact
Example: Cookies are the best. --Opinion

It is a common thing to say that people have the "right to their opinion", and I'd agree. But we see a lot that people believe in non-facts and claim that this is justified because "it's just my opinion".

Should we, as a society, tolerate a person who attempts to pass non-facts off as opinions. In other words, do we allow them the excuse of "it's just my opinion" or is it 'ok' to attempt to correct them.

Just as long as the person doesn't pass off non-facts that are racist, sexist, heightist, ageist, discriminating against other religions, discriminating against other sexualities, and anything else that is prejudiced and discriminatory, then we as society should allow them to have their own opinion.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:00:54 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/18/2016 7:25:01 PM, Cobalt wrote:
A front-page poll has me thinking:

So it's always been my understanding that there are facts, non-facts and opinions. A fact is something this is a verifiable truth, a non-fact is something that is a verifiable non-truth and an opinion is a belief on a matter that does not (yet) have a true/false state.

Example: The sun is hot. --Fact
Example: Humans aren't real. --Non-fact
Example: Cookies are the best. --Opinion

It is a common thing to say that people have the "right to their opinion", and I'd agree. But we see a lot that people believe in non-facts and claim that this is justified because "it's just my opinion".

Should we, as a society, tolerate a person who attempts to pass non-facts off as opinions. In other words, do we allow them the excuse of "it's just my opinion" or is it 'ok' to attempt to correct them.

A statement of fact is a positive statement about the world, meaning something that could be empirically proven or disproven, and what I mean by empirically proven or disproven, I mean shown with measurable evidence to be or not to be the case. A true fact is something that is the case, whereas a false fact is something that is not the case. Examples of facts include: Gravity is real, the sun revolves around the earth, or Hillary Clinton violated state department protocol with respect to her email usage.

An opinion is something that cannot be proven or disproven with empirical evidence, as described above, to be the case. Opinions are things for which evidence of the empirical variety cannot exist, and are normative for that reason. Opinions are not statements about the world, they are judgments or subjective evaluations, or feelings. They are not provable, in the way that facts are.

The conceptual difference is critical. There are many people who do not understand the difference. Be better than they are, and smarter than they are, and know the difference.

That being the case, it is virtually impossible to pass off facts as opinions and opinions as facts. It simply cannot be done. An ignorant listener might conflate the two, but catering to 50th percentile of humanity or less such that it is impossible for them to misperceive a fact or opinion is different than passing an opinion off as fact.
Tsar of DDO
Vaarka
Posts: 7,555
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 11:25:09 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/18/2016 9:19:02 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 6/18/2016 7:25:01 PM, Cobalt wrote:
A front-page poll has me thinking:

So it's always been my understanding that there are facts, non-facts and opinions. A fact is something this is a verifiable truth, a non-fact is something that is a verifiable non-truth and an opinion is a belief on a matter that does not (yet) have a true/false state.

Example: The sun is hot. --Fact
Example: Humans aren't real. --Non-fact
Example: Cookies are the best. --Opinion

It is a common thing to say that people have the "right to their opinion", and I'd agree. But we see a lot that people believe in non-facts and claim that this is justified because "it's just my opinion".

Should we, as a society, tolerate a person who attempts to pass non-facts off as opinions. In other words, do we allow them the excuse of "it's just my opinion" or is it 'ok' to attempt to correct them.

Just as long as the person doesn't pass off non-facts that are racist, sexist, heightist, ageist, discriminating against other religions, discriminating against other sexualities, and anything else that is prejudiced and discriminatory, then we as society should allow them to have their own opinion.

But their opinion isn't true and has been proven to be untrue. That's like someone saying that they believe that humans never went to the moon because that's their opinion.
"It's not an opinion, it's a fact!"
"And that is your opinion."
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
lotsoffun
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 3:31:29 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/18/2016 7:25:01 PM, Cobalt wrote:
A front-page poll has me thinking:

So it's always been my understanding that there are facts, non-facts and opinions. A fact is something this is a verifiable truth, a non-fact is something that is a verifiable non-truth and an opinion is a belief on a matter that does not (yet) have a true/false state.

Example: The sun is hot. --Fact
Example: Humans aren't real. --Non-fact
Example: Cookies are the best. --Opinion

It is a common thing to say that people have the "right to their opinion", and I'd agree. But we see a lot that people believe in non-facts and claim that this is justified because "it's just my opinion".

Should we, as a society, tolerate a person who attempts to pass non-facts off as opinions. In other words, do we allow them the excuse of "it's just my opinion" or is it 'ok' to attempt to correct them.

In reality, we all live in our own little universe, seeing the world around us differently. Many studies have been done regarding how people see an incident and there are many that agree and disagree with what took place. As for certain realities such as the sun being hot. I think that is a reality that we all can agree with.
OlaNordmann
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 3:08:42 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/19/2016 3:31:29 AM, lotsoffun wrote:
In reality, we all live in our own little universe, seeing the world around us differently. Many studies have been done regarding how people see an incident and there are many that agree and disagree with what took place. As for certain realities such as the sun being hot. I think that is a reality that we all can agree with.

Yes, I agree. But "I'm entitled to my opinion" is still not a good argument, right?
lotsoffun
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 6:27:24 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/19/2016 3:08:42 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:
At 6/19/2016 3:31:29 AM, lotsoffun wrote:
In reality, we all live in our own little universe, seeing the world around us differently. Many studies have been done regarding how people see an incident and there are many that agree and disagree with what took place. As for certain realities such as the sun being hot. I think that is a reality that we all can agree with.

Yes, I agree. But "I'm entitled to my opinion" is still not a good argument, right?

Not if faced with facts that cannot be disputed.
OlaNordmann
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 6:51:13 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/19/2016 6:27:24 PM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 6/19/2016 3:08:42 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:
Yes, I agree. But "I'm entitled to my opinion" is still not a good argument, right?

Not if faced with facts that cannot be disputed.

Yeah, I get what you mean, but it's still not an argument. It's just an irrelevant (in most cases) statement that doesn't further or justify your argument.
Willows
Posts: 2,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 1:29:36 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/19/2016 6:51:13 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:
At 6/19/2016 6:27:24 PM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 6/19/2016 3:08:42 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:
Yes, I agree. But "I'm entitled to my opinion" is still not a good argument, right?

Not if faced with facts that cannot be disputed.

Yeah, I get what you mean, but it's still not an argument. It's just an irrelevant (in most cases) statement that doesn't further or justify your argument.

I can tolerate people who spout off opinions based on insufficient or no facts however I have absolutely no respect for them. As sure as the sky is blue there will be some who will say it is red and sure as the earth is an orb there will be some who will say it is flat. These people are idiots and really deserve what they get.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 5:03:47 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/18/2016 7:25:01 PM, Cobalt wrote:
A front-page poll has me thinking:

So it's always been my understanding that there are facts, non-facts and opinions. A fact is something this is a verifiable truth, a non-fact is something that is a verifiable non-truth and an opinion is a belief on a matter that does not (yet) have a true/false state.

Example: The sun is hot. --Fact
Example: Humans aren't real. --Non-fact
Example: Cookies are the best. --Opinion

It is a common thing to say that people have the "right to their opinion", and I'd agree. But we see a lot that people believe in non-facts and claim that this is justified because "it's just my opinion".

Should we, as a society, tolerate a person who attempts to pass non-facts off as opinions. In other words, do we allow them the excuse of "it's just my opinion" or is it 'ok' to attempt to correct them.

It's just their opinion .
Take it as that.
You can Give them your opinion.
Then they can give you their opinion on your opinion

Opinion . Wow what a great word, 3 syllables , ( op ) ( in ) ( yin )
Say it with me .
You ready ? OPINION.
I want you to overuse the word opinion to the next person you talk too.
I just did. I was asked why am a saying the word opinion alot.
Try it. Next person you see
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 8:45:44 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/18/2016 7:25:01 PM, Cobalt wrote:
Should we, as a society, tolerate a person who attempts to pass non-facts off as opinions. In other words, do we allow them the excuse of "it's just my opinion" or is it 'ok' to attempt to correct them.

People should correct misinformation as they see fit. I hate the idea that it's impolite to do so.

It'd be interesting to see you provide an example, just out of curiosity. The non-fact from the OP (humans aren't real) can't really be passed off as an opinion, can it? It might qualify as a perspective though depending on how one defines reality :P
President of DDO