Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

What causes stereotypes?

Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?

What is it that makes stereotypes extremely hard to erase from society? Why doesn't the government just make it illegal to use stereotypes so that everyone can be treated equally?

This is a serious question I have!
AnnaCzereda
Posts: 59
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 9:43:49 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Why doesn't the government just make it illegal to use stereotypes so that everyone can be treated equally?

Have you just suggested penalizing thought crimes?

As for the rest of your post, stereotypes are simply over-generalizations. Someone knows a few black criminals so he starts thinking that all black people are criminals. He then tells his friends and those friends spread the rumors further. I think stereotypes are a result of our cognitive process. We learn by categorizing things. This is why we judge people by the labels they carry. It's a matter of convenience. It's not fair, I know.
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 5:33:08 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?

What is it that makes stereotypes extremely hard to erase from society? Why doesn't the government just make it illegal to use stereotypes so that everyone can be treated equally?

This is a serious question I have!

Statistics.

Not all stereotypes are necessarily bad if they are true to an extent.
Hiu
Posts: 978
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 10:48:19 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?

What is it that makes stereotypes extremely hard to erase from society? Why doesn't the government just make it illegal to use stereotypes so that everyone can be treated equally?

This is a serious question I have!

Some stereotypes are formed due to typical behavior and/or attributes of a specific group and/or entity. Some stereotypes are developed by prejudicial and fictitious characterization of a group and/or entity.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:43:40 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
The same kind of people doing the same kind of thing and being the majority to do that thing is what causes stereotypes. This is the case with white school shooters and African Americans that sag.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
ironslippers
Posts: 509
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 9:11:35 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes?
though we (humans) are similar we are not the same
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Cryo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 10:35:46 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?

What is it that makes stereotypes extremely hard to erase from society? Why doesn't the government just make it illegal to use stereotypes so that everyone can be treated equally?

This is a serious question I have!

Basically, we create them. Our minds are bombarded with stimuli every day and we can't consciously process every bit of information we take in. So, we group things in categories to make it easier to process, store, and retrieve information later on. For the most part, these shortcuts/associations benefit us as they allow us to recognize patterns and interpret information faster.

This can also be detrimental though because our brains aren't perfect and are prone to biases that may or may not reflect reality, and this can apply to how we see people. If a person has had mostly negative experiences with people of a certain group (whether it's racial, religous, etc.) they're probably going to have a bias against people in that group. It doesn't matter if that person knows logically that "Not all X people are Y", because whenever they see an X person, they'll automatically be associated with all the negative experiences they had with other X people. The best the person can do is stop themselves and say, "Just because the other X people were Y, doesn't necessarily mean this one is Y too".

As for the gov't making it illegal to use stereotypes, I don't see how that's possible. We can pass laws that make it illegal to discriminate against people, but policing people's actions is one thing, policing their thoughts is another. Even if it were possible, I'd call it unethical to try and tell people what they're allowed to think, especially since biases and prejudices aren't always conscious choices. We can pass all the laws we want, but there will always be someone out there getting treated differently because the person they're dealing with has a stereotype about them. Best we can do is educate people and get them to think about the beliefs they have, and get them to question whether or not they have good reasons for holding those beliefs, and whether they should act on them.
Fernyx
Posts: 308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 3:39:34 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?

What is it that makes stereotypes extremely hard to erase from society? Why doesn't the government just make it illegal to use stereotypes so that everyone can be treated equally?

This is a serious question I have!

Because they are often true for a portion of the group talked about. Though they do not encompass the entire group, they can often be true. Also a lot of movies or shows will have characters with these traits and people will associate them with that group.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 4:27:11 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Ok I'll say it if know one else will.

Stereotypes exist because of the fact that.
2 or more companies can build radios.
ironslippers
Posts: 509
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 9:23:19 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/2/2016 4:27:11 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Ok I'll say it if know one else will.

Stereotypes exist because of the fact that.
2 or more companies can build radios.

I was going to say stereotypes are the auditory difference between left and right using a filter of distance.

stereotypes came with interaction of the first 2 people. Using the parable of Adam and Eve I'm sure Eve must have thought something like "Men are lazy *****", and Adam thought "Women are hysterical *****". It's simply a matter of convenience, It's easy to stereotype someone than it is to get to understand someone
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 9:17:49 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?

Please tell me if the following statements are incorrect and why:

Black people are typically better basketball players than whites.

Asians eat more rice than white people.

Russians smile less than Westerners.

Americans are more fat than Chinese people.

Men are physically stronger than women.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 9:31:35 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 9:17:49 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?


Please tell me if the following statements are incorrect and why:

Black people are typically better basketball players than whites.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Asians eat more rice than white people.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Russians smile less than Westerners.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Americans are more fat than Chinese people.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Men are physically stronger than women.
FALSE! Sexist stereotype!

NONE of these statements are true because they're all stereotypes and stereotypes are NEVER accurate of an entire social group, EVER! Stereotypes are extremely harmful and inaccurate!
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 9:35:45 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 9:17:49 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?


Please tell me if the following statements are incorrect and why:

Black people are typically better basketball players than whites.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Asians eat more rice than white people.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Russians smile less than Westerners.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Americans are more fat than Chinese people.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Men are physically stronger than women.
FALSE! Sexist stereotype!

NONE of these statements are true because they're all stereotypes and stereotypes are NEVER accurate of an entire social group, EVER! Stereotypes are extremely harmful and inaccurate!

Stereotypes are very harmful and they don't just affect the group they're targeted at! They affect EVERYONE in a very negative way! Stereotypes must die!
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 11:02:05 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 9:35:45 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:17:49 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?


Please tell me if the following statements are incorrect and why:

Black people are typically better basketball players than whites.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Asians eat more rice than white people.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Russians smile less than Westerners.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Americans are more fat than Chinese people.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Men are physically stronger than women.
FALSE! Sexist stereotype!

NONE of these statements are true because they're all stereotypes and stereotypes are NEVER accurate of an entire social group, EVER! Stereotypes are extremely harmful and inaccurate!

Stereotypes are very harmful and they don't just affect the group they're targeted at! They affect EVERYONE in a very negative way! Stereotypes must die!

The fact is that all those statements are more often true than not and can be proven with statistics and studies.

Lets pick out one of those statements.

Men are generally stronger than women

Source - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 11:28:54 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 11:02:05 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:35:45 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:17:49 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?


Please tell me if the following statements are incorrect and why:

Black people are typically better basketball players than whites.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Asians eat more rice than white people.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Russians smile less than Westerners.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Americans are more fat than Chinese people.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Men are physically stronger than women.
FALSE! Sexist stereotype!

NONE of these statements are true because they're all stereotypes and stereotypes are NEVER accurate of an entire social group, EVER! Stereotypes are extremely harmful and inaccurate!

Stereotypes are very harmful and they don't just affect the group they're targeted at! They affect EVERYONE in a very negative way! Stereotypes must die!

The fact is that all those statements are more often true than not and can be proven with statistics and studies.

Lets pick out one of those statements.

Men are generally stronger than women

Source - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

None of these statements are true, not even the statement that men are generally stronger than women! That's sexist!

There are lots of women who are strong and there are lots of men who are weak! NOT ALL MEN ARE STRONG!!!!!
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 11:39:38 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 11:28:54 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 11:02:05 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:35:45 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:17:49 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?


Please tell me if the following statements are incorrect and why:

Black people are typically better basketball players than whites.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Asians eat more rice than white people.
FALSE! Racist stereotype!

Russians smile less than Westerners.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Americans are more fat than Chinese people.
FALSE! Nationality stereotype!

Men are physically stronger than women.
FALSE! Sexist stereotype!

NONE of these statements are true because they're all stereotypes and stereotypes are NEVER accurate of an entire social group, EVER! Stereotypes are extremely harmful and inaccurate!

Stereotypes are very harmful and they don't just affect the group they're targeted at! They affect EVERYONE in a very negative way! Stereotypes must die!

The fact is that all those statements are more often true than not and can be proven with statistics and studies.

Lets pick out one of those statements.

Men are generally stronger than women

Source - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

None of these statements are true, not even the statement that men are generally stronger than women! That's sexist!

There are lots of women who are strong and there are lots of men who are weak! NOT ALL MEN ARE STRONG!!!!!

I provided my source from a government study. Please provide your source that backs up your statement. If you cant, I will interpret that as you cannot find one. If you cant find one with google, its because it doesn't exist. My government sponsored study is more reliable than your emotional, unsubstantiated opinion.

If you don't understand how to use logic, life is going to be hard on you.
Axon85
Posts: 137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 6:05:13 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
None of these statements are true, not even the statement that men are generally stronger than women! That's sexist!

There are lots of women who are strong and there are lots of men who are weak! NOT ALL MEN ARE STRONG!!!!!

I'm sorry but this is a misunderstanding of basic statistics. When a study of the sort referenced above concludes that there is a statistical difference between 2 groups, the difference in question is probabilistic, not deterministic. If we measure the strength across men and women then plot the 2 distributions, the male distribution would be to the right of the female distribution (meaning the average score would be larger for men ), however, the 2 distributions would certainly overlap. So of course some women are going to be stronger than some men, but pointing this out in no way invalidates the results of the study which refer to a statistical trend operating at the level of the population.
slo1
Posts: 4,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 12:47:51 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/23/2016 5:33:08 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?

What is it that makes stereotypes extremely hard to erase from society? Why doesn't the government just make it illegal to use stereotypes so that everyone can be treated equally?

This is a serious question I have!

Statistics.

Not all stereotypes are necessarily bad if they are true to an extent.

Aggregate statistics of a data set is not stereotyping. Stereotyping is when you you apply aggregate trends when judging individuals rather than facts about the individual.
slo1
Posts: 4,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 1:02:07 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/5/2016 6:05:13 AM, Axon85 wrote:
None of these statements are true, not even the statement that men are generally stronger than women! That's sexist!

There are lots of women who are strong and there are lots of men who are weak! NOT ALL MEN ARE STRONG!!!!!

I'm sorry but this is a misunderstanding of basic statistics. When a study of the sort referenced above concludes that there is a statistical difference between 2 groups, the difference in question is probabilistic, not deterministic. If we measure the strength across men and women then plot the 2 distributions, the male distribution would be to the right of the female distribution (meaning the average score would be larger for men ), however, the 2 distributions would certainly overlap. So of course some women are going to be stronger than some men, but pointing this out in no way invalidates the results of the study which refer to a statistical trend operating at the level of the population.

Well said. The problem with stereotypes is that they get applied when making judgements upon individuals rather than facts of the individuals.

Statistically speaking I should always choose a man over a woman if I am selecting tug of war team. However a tug of war team is rather trivial. If I am a NBA team owner I'm going to use tryouts and past history to make decisions on who the best individual player are regardless of race rather than using a stereotype that blacks generally make better basketball players.

In other words when it comes to stereotypes it is all about the application of them down to an individual level and whether I'm discriminating against someone based upon the stereotype.
Axon85
Posts: 137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 1:18:52 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/5/2016 1:02:07 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 7/5/2016 6:05:13 AM, Axon85 wrote:
None of these statements are true, not even the statement that men are generally stronger than women! That's sexist!

There are lots of women who are strong and there are lots of men who are weak! NOT ALL MEN ARE STRONG!!!!!

I'm sorry but this is a misunderstanding of basic statistics. When a study of the sort referenced above concludes that there is a statistical difference between 2 groups, the difference in question is probabilistic, not deterministic. If we measure the strength across men and women then plot the 2 distributions, the male distribution would be to the right of the female distribution (meaning the average score would be larger for men ), however, the 2 distributions would certainly overlap. So of course some women are going to be stronger than some men, but pointing this out in no way invalidates the results of the study which refer to a statistical trend operating at the level of the population.

Well said. The problem with stereotypes is that they get applied when making judgements upon individuals rather than facts of the individuals.

Yep. I think the other problem is that most stereotypes are based on small, biased & unrepresentative samples. For example, somebody might form an opinion concerning an entire group of people based on a collection of news stories or their own experiences. Such generalizations are bound to be flawed. Generalizations, however, when done correctly are at the heart of all experimental science.
bhakun
Posts: 231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 4:10:18 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 9:17:49 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?


Please tell me if the following statements are incorrect and why:

Black people are typically better basketball players than whites.

Asians eat more rice than white people.

Russians smile less than Westerners.

Americans are more fat than Chinese people.

Men are physically stronger than women.

Those are generally true statements.

You make them into stereotypes when you see a black person and say, "Oh, I bet he's good at basketball" or you see an Asian and say "Oh, I bet he had rice for dinner."

A stereotype is a sweeping generalization.
---> Most A are B
---> So this A must be B

A stereotype is not a trend, as you suggest.
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 4:15:44 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/7/2016 4:10:18 AM, bhakun wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:17:49 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?


Please tell me if the following statements are incorrect and why:

Black people are typically better basketball players than whites.

Asians eat more rice than white people.

Russians smile less than Westerners.

Americans are more fat than Chinese people.

Men are physically stronger than women.

Those are generally true statements.

You make them into stereotypes when you see a black person and say, "Oh, I bet he's good at basketball" or you see an Asian and say "Oh, I bet he had rice for dinner."

A stereotype is a sweeping generalization.
---> Most A are B
---> So this A must be B

A stereotype is not a trend, as you suggest.

What about these?:

If you see a black guy, you say, "statistically, he is more likely to be a good basketball player than a Caucasian".

or if you see an Asian, you say, "statistically, he is more likely to eat rice more often than a Caucasian".

Would those be classified as ignorant stereotypes?
bhakun
Posts: 231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 4:18:43 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/7/2016 4:15:44 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 7/7/2016 4:10:18 AM, bhakun wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:17:49 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:46:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What exactly causes stereotypes? Why do people use stereotypes when they know that stereotypes are extremely inaccurate of a certain race, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, occupation, etc?


Please tell me if the following statements are incorrect and why:

Black people are typically better basketball players than whites.

Asians eat more rice than white people.

Russians smile less than Westerners.

Americans are more fat than Chinese people.

Men are physically stronger than women.

Those are generally true statements.

You make them into stereotypes when you see a black person and say, "Oh, I bet he's good at basketball" or you see an Asian and say "Oh, I bet he had rice for dinner."

A stereotype is a sweeping generalization.
---> Most A are B
---> So this A must be B

A stereotype is not a trend, as you suggest.

What about these?:

If you see a black guy, you say, "statistically, he is more likely to be a good basketball player than a Caucasian".

or if you see an Asian, you say, "statistically, he is more likely to eat rice more often than a Caucasian".

Would those be classified as ignorant stereotypes?

No. Like I said, a trend is not a stereotype.

The problem comes when, as I have already said above (guessing you didn't understand my post) is when you make generalizations about individuals.
--->"Statistically, X is more likely to be Y then Z, so this X is Y"
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr
idoubtit
Posts: 163
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 12:46:05 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Stereotypes are created when a significant enough percentage of a population exhibit specific behavior, attitudes or activities that gets noticed by others. Stereotypes persist as long as there are any members of that group still engaged in that behavior, attitudes, activities.