Jump to topic:

Euthanasia... Legalize it.

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:31:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's cool with me as long as the patient consents.

But the whole mess in New Orleans, with Dr. Anna Pou euthanizing patients instead of evacuating them after Katrina, is just atrocious. Sheri Fink's Pulitzer-prize winning piece exposing the killings is chilling in showing how unnecessary they were, considering that these patients could have easily been medevac'ed. And Pou never told the patients what she was doing - she told them all the shot was just a sedative.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:33:47 PM
At 12/17/2010 1:31:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:

But the whole mess in New Orleans, with Dr. Anna Pou euthanizing patients instead of evacuating them after Katrina, is just atrocious. Sheri Fink's Pulitzer-prize winning piece exposing the killings is chilling in showing how unnecessary they were, considering that these patients could have easily been medevac'ed. And Pou never told the patients what she was doing - she told them all the shot was just a sedative.

lol thats not euthanasia thats murder
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:33:58 PM

What if Euthanasia was legal at the time? She would have one heck of a case to defend herself. Why make something that can be abused to such extents legal in any way?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:40:19 PM
At 12/17/2010 1:33:58 PM, jharry wrote:

What if Euthanasia was legal at the time? She would have one heck of a case to defend herself. Why make something that can be abused to such extents legal in any way?

yeah forreal. lets ban cars, guns, parental rights and consensual sex while we're at it!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:41:44 PM
At 12/17/2010 1:33:47 PM, belle wrote:

lol thats not euthanasia thats murder

Damn, I always get those confused. Well, it's been fun at DDO while it lasted but I need to move to mexico and must erase traces of my past.

Oh and euthanasia apparently isn't legal either, so double offense on my part :)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 2:15:04 PM
At 12/17/2010 1:40:19 PM, belle wrote:

yeah forreal. lets ban cars, guns, parental rights and consensual sex while we're at it!

Nice response.

Assisted suicide isn't a crime. Dr. Death could get away with it as long as he provided the tools to the patient, and the patient committed suicide himself.

So the only people the euthanasia ban is unfair to are the people who are so sick that they physically cannot kill themselves, even with a physician's assistance.

It's not a slippery slope jharry. You could easily require that the patient's legal custodian sign a number of forms on his behalf before a doctor could euthanize him.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 3:06:23 PM
What if Euthanasia was legal at the time? She would have one heck of a case to defend herself.

Explain this.
laleona89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 3:38:27 PM
I think they should just legalize it.
If I were in a critical situation in wich I had like 15 chance of surviving I would choose euthanasia. But I think there should be some limits, which would of been applied to that doctor you were talking about, that instead of moing the patients she just murdered them all
poor people!
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2011 9:34:16 AM
is suicide justifiable?

how about murder?
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2011 11:03:19 AM
At 12/17/2010 1:13:24 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Let's just legalize this thing and get it over with. These people have just as much right to die as the rest of us!:

Assisted suicide is a tricky thing. We can't just assist people in dying without a good reason, otherwise do the job on your own. In my opinion Oregon is doing things the right way. I think many states will end up adopting it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2011 12:34:12 PM
At 1/3/2011 11:03:19 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 12/17/2010 1:13:24 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Let's just legalize this thing and get it over with. These people have just as much right to die as the rest of us!:

Assisted suicide is a tricky thing. We can't just assist people in dying without a good reason, otherwise do the job on your own.

Euthanasia would be more analogous to putting up ramps for the handicapped.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:17:50 PM
As some other people have mentioned this is a tricky issue. However, I don't see what the problem is if doctors consent beforehand. Nobody with a terminal illness should have to suffer against their will. They know they're going to die so just let them go peacefully.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:25:40 PM
At 1/12/2011 5:17:50 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
As some other people have mentioned this is a tricky issue. However, I don't see what the problem is if doctors consent beforehand. Nobody with a terminal illness should have to suffer against their will. They know they're going to die so just let them go peacefully.

Do you mean patients?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:27:00 PM
At 1/12/2011 5:25:40 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:17:50 PM, HatedeatH wrote:

Do you mean patients?

Yea but they should get consent from doctors too probably.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:28:34 PM
Anyway I say it should be legalized.

Murder with the same tools=/=willful euthanasia.

Other than that and religious reasons I have heard NOTHING really against it and tbqh, religious reasons are dumb reasons to make laws.
You can choose not to be euthanased, but let others make their choice too.

For example allowing your body to be cut up after death s bad in some religions, yet we can still volunteer our organs.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:30:39 PM
At 1/12/2011 5:28:34 PM, lovelife wrote:

For example allowing your body to be cut up after death s bad in some religions, yet we can still volunteer our organs.

I think muslims and jews are against cremation. Same with some christians I'm pretty sure. I know for muslims it's because they believe in bodily resurrection.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:36:05 PM
At 1/12/2011 5:30:39 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:34 PM, lovelife wrote:

I think muslims and jews are against cremation. Same with some christians I'm pretty sure. I know for muslims it's because they believe in bodily resurrection.

I doubt its with christians. My family is devout, and years ago my grandpa was cremated, and my dad says he wants to be too.
Personally idc I'm gunna be dead so whatevs. Take my origins and feed me to lions at the zoo for all I care. I'd actually prefer that over the polluting wasteful system we have now.

But since we can't op for that.....idc. Either way being dead sucks.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:40:09 PM
Being dead does such which is why I HateDeatH. ;)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:46:09 PM
At 1/12/2011 5:40:09 PM, HatedeatH wrote:

Being dead sucks which is why I lovelife ;)
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:51:31 PM
At 1/12/2011 5:46:09 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:40:09 PM, HatedeatH wrote:

Being dead sucks which is why I lovelife ;)

Oh, I just realized that typo was there when you pointed it out. O.o
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:51:45 PM
At 1/12/2011 5:47:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Maybe we should mandate euthanasia for some people.

Like whom?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 6:05:53 PM
At 1/12/2011 5:51:45 PM, HatedeatH wrote:

Like whom?

Example? Fat, lazy douchebags. From an evolutionary standpoint, we have a lot more to gain from promoting procreation on the part of the mentally and physically fit, rather than of the indigent, the obese, the unintelligent, etc.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 6:09:01 PM
At 1/12/2011 6:05:53 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Like whom?

Example? Fat, lazy douchebags. From an evolutionary standpoint, we have a lot more to gain from promoting procreation on the part of the mentally and physically fit, rather than of the indigent, the obese, the unintelligent, etc.

Sounds like social darwinism to me. :P

I have thought about similar issues though about whether people carrying serious inheritable genetic disorders should be able to reproduce or not.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 6:40:26 PM
At 1/12/2011 6:09:01 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 6:05:53 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Like whom?

Sounds like social darwinism to me. :P

This is a little more proactive, I think.

I have thought about similar issues though about whether people carrying serious inheritable genetic disorders should be able to reproduce or not.

Nope. Euthanize them, also.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2011 3:08:33 AM
Why do people only think euthanasia should be available to those with terminal illnesses? If a perfectly healthy man walks into a hospital and wants them to kill him, why should that be prevented?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2011 3:14:54 AM
At 1/13/2011 3:08:33 AM, Korashk wrote:
Why do people only think euthanasia should be available to those with terminal illnesses? If a perfectly healthy man walks into a hospital and wants them to kill him, why should that be prevented?

Did I ever say if they were on the brink of death?
If so I meantayone should be able to choose anything they want to do so long as no non-consenting parties aren't directly hurt from it.
Killing an unwilling person=direct harm
Grieving family=indirect harm

Only one should really matter. If you think otherwise everything else that might indirectly harm others should be banned to.