Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Euthanasia... Legalize it.

bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:31:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's cool with me as long as the patient consents.

But the whole mess in New Orleans, with Dr. Anna Pou euthanizing patients instead of evacuating them after Katrina, is just atrocious. Sheri Fink's Pulitzer-prize winning piece exposing the killings is chilling in showing how unnecessary they were, considering that these patients could have easily been medevac'ed. And Pou never told the patients what she was doing - she told them all the shot was just a sedative.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:33:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/17/2010 1:31:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:
It's cool with me as long as the patient consents.

But the whole mess in New Orleans, with Dr. Anna Pou euthanizing patients instead of evacuating them after Katrina, is just atrocious. Sheri Fink's Pulitzer-prize winning piece exposing the killings is chilling in showing how unnecessary they were, considering that these patients could have easily been medevac'ed. And Pou never told the patients what she was doing - she told them all the shot was just a sedative.

lol thats not euthanasia thats murder
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:33:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/17/2010 1:31:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:
It's cool with me as long as the patient consents.

But the whole mess in New Orleans, with Dr. Anna Pou euthanizing patients instead of evacuating them after Katrina, is just atrocious. Sheri Fink's Pulitzer-prize winning piece exposing the killings is chilling in showing how unnecessary they were, considering that these patients could have easily been medevac'ed. And Pou never told the patients what she was doing - she told them all the shot was just a sedative.

What if Euthanasia was legal at the time? She would have one heck of a case to defend herself. Why make something that can be abused to such extents legal in any way?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:40:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/17/2010 1:33:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 12/17/2010 1:31:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:
It's cool with me as long as the patient consents.

But the whole mess in New Orleans, with Dr. Anna Pou euthanizing patients instead of evacuating them after Katrina, is just atrocious. Sheri Fink's Pulitzer-prize winning piece exposing the killings is chilling in showing how unnecessary they were, considering that these patients could have easily been medevac'ed. And Pou never told the patients what she was doing - she told them all the shot was just a sedative.


What if Euthanasia was legal at the time? She would have one heck of a case to defend herself. Why make something that can be abused to such extents legal in any way?

yeah forreal. lets ban cars, guns, parental rights and consensual sex while we're at it!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 1:41:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/17/2010 1:33:47 PM, belle wrote:
At 12/17/2010 1:31:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:
It's cool with me as long as the patient consents.

But the whole mess in New Orleans, with Dr. Anna Pou euthanizing patients instead of evacuating them after Katrina, is just atrocious. Sheri Fink's Pulitzer-prize winning piece exposing the killings is chilling in showing how unnecessary they were, considering that these patients could have easily been medevac'ed. And Pou never told the patients what she was doing - she told them all the shot was just a sedative.

lol thats not euthanasia thats murder

Damn, I always get those confused. Well, it's been fun at DDO while it lasted but I need to move to mexico and must erase traces of my past.

Oh and euthanasia apparently isn't legal either, so double offense on my part :)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 2:15:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/17/2010 1:40:19 PM, belle wrote:
At 12/17/2010 1:33:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 12/17/2010 1:31:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:
It's cool with me as long as the patient consents.

But the whole mess in New Orleans, with Dr. Anna Pou euthanizing patients instead of evacuating them after Katrina, is just atrocious. Sheri Fink's Pulitzer-prize winning piece exposing the killings is chilling in showing how unnecessary they were, considering that these patients could have easily been medevac'ed. And Pou never told the patients what she was doing - she told them all the shot was just a sedative.


What if Euthanasia was legal at the time? She would have one heck of a case to defend herself. Why make something that can be abused to such extents legal in any way?

yeah forreal. lets ban cars, guns, parental rights and consensual sex while we're at it!

Nice response.

Assisted suicide isn't a crime. Dr. Death could get away with it as long as he provided the tools to the patient, and the patient committed suicide himself.

So the only people the euthanasia ban is unfair to are the people who are so sick that they physically cannot kill themselves, even with a physician's assistance.

It's not a slippery slope jharry. You could easily require that the patient's legal custodian sign a number of forms on his behalf before a doctor could euthanize him.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Sam_Lowry
Posts: 367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 3:06:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/17/2010 1:33:58 PM, jharry wrote:
What if Euthanasia was legal at the time? She would have one heck of a case to defend herself.

Explain this.
laleona89
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 3:38:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think they should just legalize it.
If I were in a critical situation in wich I had like 15 chance of surviving I would choose euthanasia. But I think there should be some limits, which would of been applied to that doctor you were talking about, that instead of moing the patients she just murdered them all
poor people!
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2011 9:34:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
is suicide justifiable?

how about murder?
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2011 11:03:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/17/2010 1:13:24 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Let's just legalize this thing and get it over with. These people have just as much right to die as the rest of us!:

Assisted suicide is a tricky thing. We can't just assist people in dying without a good reason, otherwise do the job on your own. In my opinion Oregon is doing things the right way. I think many states will end up adopting it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2011 12:34:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/3/2011 11:03:19 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 12/17/2010 1:13:24 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Let's just legalize this thing and get it over with. These people have just as much right to die as the rest of us!:

Assisted suicide is a tricky thing. We can't just assist people in dying without a good reason, otherwise do the job on your own.

Euthanasia would be more analogous to putting up ramps for the handicapped.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:17:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
As some other people have mentioned this is a tricky issue. However, I don't see what the problem is if doctors consent beforehand. Nobody with a terminal illness should have to suffer against their will. They know they're going to die so just let them go peacefully.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:25:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:17:50 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
As some other people have mentioned this is a tricky issue. However, I don't see what the problem is if doctors consent beforehand. Nobody with a terminal illness should have to suffer against their will. They know they're going to die so just let them go peacefully.

Do you mean patients?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:27:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:25:40 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:17:50 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
As some other people have mentioned this is a tricky issue. However, I don't see what the problem is if doctors consent beforehand. Nobody with a terminal illness should have to suffer against their will. They know they're going to die so just let them go peacefully.

Do you mean patients?

Yea but they should get consent from doctors too probably.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:28:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Anyway I say it should be legalized.

Murder with the same tools=/=willful euthanasia.

Other than that and religious reasons I have heard NOTHING really against it and tbqh, religious reasons are dumb reasons to make laws.
You can choose not to be euthanased, but let others make their choice too.

For example allowing your body to be cut up after death s bad in some religions, yet we can still volunteer our organs.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:30:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:28:34 PM, lovelife wrote:

For example allowing your body to be cut up after death s bad in some religions, yet we can still volunteer our organs.

I think muslims and jews are against cremation. Same with some christians I'm pretty sure. I know for muslims it's because they believe in bodily resurrection.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:36:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:30:39 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:34 PM, lovelife wrote:

For example allowing your body to be cut up after death s bad in some religions, yet we can still volunteer our organs.

I think muslims and jews are against cremation. Same with some christians I'm pretty sure. I know for muslims it's because they believe in bodily resurrection.

I doubt its with christians. My family is devout, and years ago my grandpa was cremated, and my dad says he wants to be too.
Personally idc I'm gunna be dead so whatevs. Take my origins and feed me to lions at the zoo for all I care. I'd actually prefer that over the polluting wasteful system we have now.

But since we can't op for that.....idc. Either way being dead sucks.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:40:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Being dead does such which is why I HateDeatH. ;)
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:46:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:40:09 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
Being dead does such which is why I HateDeatH. ;)

Being dead sucks which is why I lovelife ;)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:51:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:46:09 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:40:09 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
Being dead does such which is why I HateDeatH. ;)

Being dead sucks which is why I lovelife ;)

Oh, I just realized that typo was there when you pointed it out. O.o
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:51:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:47:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Maybe we should mandate euthanasia for some people.

Like whom?
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 6:05:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:51:45 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:47:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Maybe we should mandate euthanasia for some people.

Like whom?

Example? Fat, lazy douchebags. From an evolutionary standpoint, we have a lot more to gain from promoting procreation on the part of the mentally and physically fit, rather than of the indigent, the obese, the unintelligent, etc.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 6:09:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 6:05:53 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:51:45 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:47:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Maybe we should mandate euthanasia for some people.

Like whom?

Example? Fat, lazy douchebags. From an evolutionary standpoint, we have a lot more to gain from promoting procreation on the part of the mentally and physically fit, rather than of the indigent, the obese, the unintelligent, etc.

Sounds like social darwinism to me. :P

I have thought about similar issues though about whether people carrying serious inheritable genetic disorders should be able to reproduce or not.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 6:40:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 6:09:01 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 6:05:53 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:51:45 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:47:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Maybe we should mandate euthanasia for some people.

Like whom?

Example? Fat, lazy douchebags. From an evolutionary standpoint, we have a lot more to gain from promoting procreation on the part of the mentally and physically fit, rather than of the indigent, the obese, the unintelligent, etc.

Sounds like social darwinism to me. :P

This is a little more proactive, I think.

I have thought about similar issues though about whether people carrying serious inheritable genetic disorders should be able to reproduce or not.

Nope. Euthanize them, also.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2011 3:08:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why do people only think euthanasia should be available to those with terminal illnesses? If a perfectly healthy man walks into a hospital and wants them to kill him, why should that be prevented?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2011 3:14:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/13/2011 3:08:33 AM, Korashk wrote:
Why do people only think euthanasia should be available to those with terminal illnesses? If a perfectly healthy man walks into a hospital and wants them to kill him, why should that be prevented?

Did I ever say if they were on the brink of death?
If so I meantayone should be able to choose anything they want to do so long as no non-consenting parties aren't directly hurt from it.
Killing an unwilling person=direct harm
Grieving family=indirect harm

Only one should really matter. If you think otherwise everything else that might indirectly harm others should be banned to.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave