Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

What are trolls ?

Jack_Dead
Posts: 22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 6:43:44 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Definition (debatable) : Troll -
One who posts a deliberately offensive message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

Offensive isnt truly offensive ?
Offenses are taken,not given. People take offense in what others say.
I can say "You are a jerk!" And a calm person will feel nothing, they will just walk away.
However, I can say "You have a strange attitude" and some sensitive/immature ppl will be highly offened and start a rage war.
As you can see, one can Take insults in things, but one can never give insults to others
The level of insult we feel actually depends on ourselves.
Hence one can never truly be offensive.
Hence one can never be a troll

(am i on the right track?)
Jack_Dead
Posts: 22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:11:39 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Aha! glad you asked! @keiprosser
Im just waiting for the second argument:

You can never know a troll is a troll:
People provides oppositions/opinions all the time
they have their own intentions when doing so
(Maybe they want to protect personal interest, maybe they want to boost their ego,
maybe they just want their voice to be heard...)
The fact is ppl speak for numerous reasons, and those reasons can be mixed as well!
It would be impossible for us to know other's true intention
Hence, it is impossible to truly identify a Troll by intention
Fernyx
Posts: 326
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:29:00 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/24/2016 6:43:44 AM, Jack_Dead wrote:
Definition (debatable) : Troll -
One who posts a deliberately offensive message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

Offensive isnt truly offensive ?
Offenses are taken,not given. People take offense in what others say.
I can say "You are a jerk!" And a calm person will feel nothing, they will just walk away.
However, I can say "You have a strange attitude" and some sensitive/immature ppl will be highly offened and start a rage war.
As you can see, one can Take insults in things, but one can never give insults to others
The level of insult we feel actually depends on ourselves.
Hence one can never truly be offensive.
Hence one can never be a troll


(am i on the right track?)

Depends to who, to feminists and BLM it would be considered people outspoken with a different opinion.
OlaNordmann
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:01:56 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/24/2016 6:43:44 AM, Jack_Dead wrote:
Definition (debatable) : Troll -
One who posts a deliberately offensive message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

Offensive isnt truly offensive ?
Offenses are taken,not given. People take offense in what others say.
I can say "You are a jerk!" And a calm person will feel nothing, they will just walk away.
However, I can say "You have a strange attitude" and some sensitive/immature ppl will be highly offened and start a rage war.
As you can see, one can Take insults in things, but one can never give insults to others
The level of insult we feel actually depends on ourselves.
Hence one can never truly be offensive.
Hence one can never be a troll


(am i on the right track?)

I agree with the difintion, but that it's only accurate if there's a disconnect between what the "troll" writes and what the "troll" actually means/believes. I often provoke people with the things I write, and I'm often aware that I'll be agitating them intentionally. But I write the things I write because the arguments make perfect sense too me. For instance if I were to criticize religion.

On the topic of "offense is never given, it is only taken", I assess it's both. We all (i assume) have the capacity for empathy. We also have neurological network (I don't remember what it's called) that's involved in filtering what we say and do, that's effectively disrupted with alcohol intake. It's childish to frame someone for becoming enraged if you intentionally agitate them. It's basically picking on people and expect no reaction/retribution.
Jack_Dead
Posts: 22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:10:50 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
@OlaNordmann
You are right, the one who makes insults also have to bear part of the responsibility
That said, notice it is "part of" the responsibilities, not All responsibility.
Since the listener's personal trait contributes to the offensive factors.
(easily offended or not)

Hence isn't it unfair to call someone a Troll when we heard messages that we dont like ?
(since the responsibility is shared between speaker and listener)
OlaNordmann
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:20:03 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/25/2016 9:10:50 AM, Jack_Dead wrote:
@OlaNordmann
You are right, the one who makes insults also have to bear part of the responsibility
That said, notice it is "part of" the responsibilities, not All responsibility.
Since the listener's personal trait contributes to the offensive factors.
(easily offended or not)

Hence isn't it unfair to call someone a Troll when we heard messages that we dont like ?
(since the responsibility is shared between speaker and listener)

Sorry I must have misunderstood. I completely agree with that.
Jack_Dead
Posts: 22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:25:59 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Sorry I must have misunderstood. I completely agree with that.

It's alright :P
I am merely trying to learn more about trolls and what ppl think about them
There are no right or wrong when providing new arguments
OlaNordmann
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:42:48 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/25/2016 9:25:59 AM, Jack_Dead wrote:
It's alright :P
I am merely trying to learn more about trolls and what ppl think about them
There are no right or wrong when providing new arguments

That's a great attitude. And from the short amount of time I've been on this site, I sincerely think there's a lack of it here. I myself fall into the trap way too often - becoming overly attached to what I believe is right or wrong, but I try hard not to!

It requires one to be very vigilant; Question everything; Not self-identifying with a label or idea. And most importantly: Realize and concede when you're wrong. It can be embarrassing if for a long time one hasn't considered something that is very evident to everyone else or the discussion has become heated.

Sorry for derailing the thread, I don't have anything else to add at this point...
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 1:13:19 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/24/2016 2:11:39 PM, Jack_Dead wrote:
Aha! glad you asked! @keiprosser
Im just waiting for the second argument:

You can never know a troll is a troll:
People provides oppositions/opinions all the time
they have their own intentions when doing so
(Maybe they want to protect personal interest, maybe they want to boost their ego,
maybe they just want their voice to be heard...)
The fact is ppl speak for numerous reasons, and those reasons can be mixed as well!
It would be impossible for us to know other's true intention
Hence, it is impossible to truly identify a Troll by intention
I love your line of reasoning. I think it is very accurate. I've been called a troll simply for expressing my opinion with the intent of sharing it. I had no ulterior motive for doing so.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 3:26:05 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/26/2016 1:13:19 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 6/24/2016 2:11:39 PM, Jack_Dead wrote:
Aha! glad you asked! @keiprosser
Im just waiting for the second argument:

You can never know a troll is a troll:
People provides oppositions/opinions all the time
they have their own intentions when doing so
(Maybe they want to protect personal interest, maybe they want to boost their ego,
maybe they just want their voice to be heard...)
The fact is ppl speak for numerous reasons, and those reasons can be mixed as well!
It would be impossible for us to know other's true intention
Hence, it is impossible to truly identify a Troll by intention
I love your line of reasoning. I think it is very accurate. I've been called a troll simply for expressing my opinion with the intent of sharing it. I had no ulterior motive for doing so.

Because your opinions are utter cancer perhaps?
ironslippers
Posts: 513
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 9:06:57 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/24/2016 6:43:44 AM, Jack_Dead wrote:
T he
R evenge
O f
L onely
L eper(s)
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers