Jump to topic:

Students Can't Answer Basic Questions

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 8:12:17 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
In the video posted, a man asked several kids in school basic questions about the United States. Some of these questions included: what is the capital of Washington state, in what war did America win its independence, what countries border the United States, and others. The answers to the questions are quite concerning, where some students admitted they did not know or gave answers that were not only incorrect, but so incorrect the ballpark couldn't even be seen from space. Is this concerning to you or do you think the kids were too young and thus the questions were unfair? Do you have hope for this new generation? Were there any questions you didn't know the answer to? How do you think we can improve the US educational system to prevent a general lack of knowledge like this? Discuss.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:39:10 AM
At 6/26/2016 8:12:17 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

In the video posted, a man asked several kids in school basic questions about the United States. Some of these questions included: what is the capital of Washington state, in what war did America win its independence, what countries border the United States, and others. The answers to the questions are quite concerning, where some students admitted they did not know or gave answers that were not only incorrect, but so incorrect the ballpark couldn't even be seen from space. Is this concerning to you or do you think the kids were too young and thus the questions were unfair? Do you have hope for this new generation? Were there any questions you didn't know the answer to? How do you think we can improve the US educational system to prevent a general lack of knowledge like this? Discuss.

We need to start doing what China does.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:44:32 AM

I saw that video just earlier today. This is one of the reasons why I think the voting age should be moved up to at least 25 or 30.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:45:55 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:44:32 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

I saw that video just earlier today. This is one of the reasons why I think the voting age should be moved up to at least 25 or 30.

Voter apathy is already a problem. Doing that would cause extremely low voter turnouts.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:46:27 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:45:55 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Voter apathy is already a problem. Doing that would cause extremely low voter turnouts.

Good.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:48:22 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:46:27 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Good.

Good? You'd rather have some guy elected because a couple of older citizens decided to vote for the hell of it? That's the kind of stuff that would make Jackson roll in his grave.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:52:07 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:48:22 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Good.

Good? You'd rather have some guy elected because a couple of older citizens decided to vote for the hell of it? That's the kind of stuff that would make Jackson roll in his grave.

I would prefer to not allow the youth to vote. I don't view democracy in the best light either, which is why I'm for a Constitutional Republic. I personally think the government should be so restrained that voting doesn't effect anything, but if it did, I would like the young to be barred from voting. If that doesn't happen, then the qualification should be property, education, IQ test, etc. Basically something that would disqualify the stupid and the poor from voting.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:59:07 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:52:07 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Good.

I would prefer to not allow the youth to vote. I don't view democracy in the best light either, which is why I'm for a Constitutional Republic. I personally think the government should be so restrained that voting doesn't effect anything, but if it did, I would like the young to be barred from voting. If that doesn't happen, then the qualification should be property, education, IQ test, etc. Basically something that would disqualify the stupid and the poor from voting.

We have a constitutional presidential republic. We do not live in a direct democracy. What you're proposing, barring 40% of the population from voting (all the ages before 30, 20.9% if you're just including minimum voting age). That is not a legitimate Republic. That's taking away voting rights from the youth and young adults. The next step is to take away voting rights from a certain race or religion, but you would probably also be interested in taking away voting rights from the poor as well. If I were to guess properly, I'd say you probably support fascism.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 2:11:55 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:59:07 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 6/27/2016 1:52:07 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Good.

We have a constitutional presidential republic. We do not live in a direct democracy. What you're proposing, barring 40% of the population from voting (all the ages before 30, 20.9% if you're just including minimum voting age). That is not a legitimate Republic. That's taking away voting rights from the youth and young adults. The next step is to take away voting rights from a certain race or religion, but you would probably also be interested in taking away voting rights from the poor as well. If I were to guess properly, I'd say you probably support fascism.

Anyone below 25 and anyone that does not pass a certain test that evaluates basic economic and historical knowledge as well as anyone that is currently poor should be barred from voting. I'm tired of Democrats being elected.

OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 5:41:04 AM
Is this your average student in the US or has the youtuber just left out all the good answers. I'm guessing the latter.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:09:49 PM

Instead of moving up the voting age, how about providing the students with an appropriate education instead?
Ignorance comes in all ages, shapes and sizes. It isn't particular to these groups of people. From my personal experience, and from my country's perspective, all I can say is that I have met far more ignorant senior citizens, possibly due to the lack of education they had in the past.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:45:12 PM
At 6/27/2016 12:09:49 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

Instead of moving up the voting age, how about providing the students with an appropriate education instead?
Ignorance comes in all ages, shapes and sizes. It isn't particular to these groups of people. From my personal experience, and from my country's perspective, all I can say is that I have met far more ignorant senior citizens, possibly due to the lack of education they had in the past.

We've been spending more and more money over the past couple of decades on our terrible public education system and so far nothing has improved. At one point it even degraded.

foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:24:56 PM
At 6/27/2016 3:45:12 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 6/27/2016 12:09:49 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

We've been spending more and more money over the past couple of decades on our terrible public education system and so far nothing has improved. At one point it even degraded.

It's not only a matter of financial investment, it's also a matter of what's in the syllabus.
Apart from that though, it doesn't completely depend on the government. It's also up to the student in particular to do his own research.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 5:58:06 PM
This is why my children will be attending a private school that I carefully examine before enrollment. I truly believe that any and every responsible parent should give the utmost importance to their children's education.

As for public schooling (which I assume is where this video was recorded due to the lack of uniforms), proper education exists if the kid has what it takes to be worthy of receiving it. The gifted and honor programs aren't that bad but it's up to the kid to meet the necessary requirements to be invited into those programs. Aside from the gifted and honor programs, the education provided in the public school system is a joke and clearly operates for the sake of the lowest common denominator and state-standardized testing. The latter being a serious problem which needs to be addressed immediately.

The thing is, when it comes to highschool the truly smart kids always find a way to make it, so the source of this issue seems to be rooted somewhere earlier than the highschool level. I'd say perhaps a total reform of the middle school or elementary school level here in America. The highschool system could use some changes too though, as I listed above, amongst other more practical things such as teaching students about taxes, how the credit system works, basic living information that suddenly gets dumped on us as soon as we move into the adult world ourselves, ect.,
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:00:10 PM
I've known this stuff from a young age and I live in the UK. This only reinforces my negative views in regards to the US education system when compared to the the education system / curriculum of the UK.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:40:30 PM
At 6/27/2016 5:41:04 AM, OlaNordmann wrote:
Is this your average student in the US or has the youtuber just left out all the good answers. I'm guessing the latter.

It is common to ask questions, and then edit it to show only the bottom 10 to 20% of answers to make it seem like nobody knows anything. It's rigged to evoke an emotion.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 9:13:36 PM
At 6/27/2016 8:40:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/27/2016 5:41:04 AM, OlaNordmann wrote:

It is common to ask questions, and then edit it to show only the bottom 10 to 20% of answers to make it seem like nobody knows anything. It's rigged to evoke an emotion.

Stole my words, these types of videos are obviously edited out.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 5:21:17 PM
At 6/27/2016 12:39:10 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

We need to start doing what China does.

If you mean Chinese-style patriotic education, when the government tried doing that in Hong Kong it led to continual protests for a couple of years until they finally backed down... good luck doing that in the US :P
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...