Jump to topic:

Stabbings at a White Pride Rally

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 7:38:50 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
In Sacramento, California, a rally conducted by the Traditionalist Workers Party was interrupted by counter-protesters. About 30 members of the Traditionalist Worker Party were gathering for a rally, for which they had a permit, at around noon Sunday when they were met by about 400 counter-protesters and a fight broke out. The Sacramento Fire Department reports seven people were taken to local hospitals, two with life-threatening wounds (http://abcnews.go.com...). For those of you who are unaware, the Traditionalist Workers Party is a small white supremacist group in the United States. The Southern Poverty Law Center classifies the group as "virulently racist and anti-Semitic". The group advocates for white separatism and proclaims to be "against modernism, individualism, globalism and Marxism" (https://www.splcenter.org...).

Matthew Heimbach accused the assailants of being "leftist radicals", and claimed the purpose of their gathering was a "protest against globalization and in defense of the right to free expression" (http://www.cbsnews.com...). The Anti-Fascist Front has stated that this "counter-protest" was planned. They claim the Donald Trump campaign has made them feel emboldened. It's unknown if they were planning on attacking the protesters (https://antifascistnews.net...).

Estevan Hernandez of the ANSWER coalition, who participated in the counter-protest, says "Police were trying very, very hard to get the fascist right-wingers to have their demonstration. So there was a police line preventing our forces, anti-racist, from pushing back on the fascists. So, every now and then, at the corner of the capitol building different fascist would just pop-out" trying to get on the capitol grounds," Hernandez told RT. "And when they came up to the protest line of the protesters, our movement, they started violently attacking our supporters. One of the people who came with us today was knocked on the ground, they kicked him repeatedly, and some people were stabbed, in fact." Heimbach rejected the accusations as "ridiculous" and claimed that his group "was outnumbered by eight to one" with the counter-protestors who "had baseball bats, knives, bottles." "We were the ones who were attacked by people who had weapons and saying that they were going to kill us. This is attempted and premeditated murder"" he said adding that the counter-protestors were shouting "kill the Nazis." Heimbach said that the members of his party acted entirely out of self-defense (https://www.rt.com...).

As for reality, there doesn't seem to really be a consensus on "who started it". Now for the law: according to the American Civil Liberties Union, the police may not break up a gathering unless there is a "clear and present danger of riot, disorder, interference with traffic upon the public streets, or other immediate threat to public safety" (https://www.aclunc.org...).

The first amendment guarantees the right to protest and public assembly. So, what do you think about this issue? Do you think that the police should be legally obligated to protect the public AS WELL as the protesters? Do you think protests like this, protests about topics that are likely to incite heavy reactions, should not be allowed? Did the police fail to do their job here (no arrests were made as of yet)? Do you think that whichever party "retaliated" should not be punished? Who do you think likely "started" this: the "leftist radicals" or the fascists? Should tax payers or the protesters have to pay for protection in order to exercise their right to assembly? At what point do you think the government has the right to curb this right to protect the public, specifically in regards to preemptively ending the protest out of fear of violence (or do you think the actual violence HAS to happen first in order to stop a protest)? Discuss.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 7:44:41 PM
At 6/27/2016 7:42:35 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
What do you think?

It doesn't matter what I think.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 7:52:28 PM
No rally should be shut down or charged money because somebody responds violently to it; that only encourages people to violently attack one another by rewarding such violence with the very suppression which they were aiming to accomplish. Unless someone was actually defending their life from an assailant,anyone who injured somebody else ought to be arrested and charged.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:15:30 PM
At 6/27/2016 7:44:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
What do you think?

same
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:19:56 PM
At 6/27/2016 8:15:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
What do you think?

same

No one's making you comment about anything.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:20:23 PM
What do you think?

same

I do however make these to hear thoughts and opinions of others.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:24:09 PM
At 6/27/2016 8:20:23 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
What do you think?

same

How generous.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 10:12:48 PM
At 6/27/2016 8:20:23 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
What do you think?

same

The forums is a place for discussion, not for polling. We have a section for people who wish to present data for the purpose of gather opinions of others without giving their own - it's called the Polls. Even the Opinions section would be better for what you seek from these threads given this recent admission of yours.

If you wish to continue to make threads on a daily basis that ask us to discuss the information you present, you should provide your own opinion and/or partake in the discussions yourself. To not do so not only gives the impression that you have no real interest in the topic matter yourself, but also gives people no real incentive to divulge their own opinion when you never provide your own. You have to understand that the forums are different from the polls. This section is meant for dialogue between the OP and the user-base, yet you come here and ask us to partake in dialogue while rarely partaking in your own topics yourself.

Please Peters, stop this nonsense. Either go back to the polls section or start acting like a proper forums user. One who not only has an actual interest in the stuff they post, but also partakes in the discussions that they instigate. This is literally what the purpose of forums are.

Once more, I'll ask you to answer your own questions for once to get this discussion underway. At-least present your own opinion. Otherwise, this is nothing more than poll spam in the forums section and I will start reporting it as such if you do not correct your behavior in this section of the site. Keep in mind, while polling does occur in the forums section, it is appropriately titled and/or identified by the OP as a poll. You are not doing this, so please either do one or the other from this point on as proper forum etiquette dictates.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 11:02:42 PM
At 6/27/2016 7:52:28 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
No rally should be shut down or charged money because somebody responds violently to it; that only encourages people to violently attack one another by rewarding such violence with the very suppression which they were aiming to accomplish. Unless someone was actually defending their life from an assailant,anyone who injured somebody else ought to be arrested and charged.

It's funny because that rally was simply a rally of people that had pride in White culture, and if you go on their website they say that all people should have pride in their heritage. Some leftist idiots decided to run amok and attack people for their views. Shame.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:08:07 AM
At 6/27/2016 11:02:42 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

It's funny because that rally was simply a rally of people that had pride in White culture, and if you go on their website they say that all people should have pride in their heritage. Some leftist idiots decided to run amok and attack people for their views. Shame.

According to the reports I've seen the racists struck first. I am nonviolent, but I have no sympathy for Heimbach.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:11:04 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:08:07 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

According to the reports I've seen the racists struck first. I am nonviolent, but I have no sympathy for Heimbach.

Please refer to them as the Traditionalist Workers Party, not simply "racists". This isn't an SJW venting platform. And no, they didn't strike first, as they were heavily outnumbered and peacefully demonstrating.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:11:51 AM

In fact, here's a quote directly from them "We reject racial supremacism, and believe all the world's peoples should embrace and celebrate their sacred heritage and identities."

So no, they aren't simply racists. Wanting to be within your own people doesn't mean you find one to be superior.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:13:13 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:11:04 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Please refer to them as the Traditionalist Workers Party, not simply "racists". This isn't an SJW venting platform. And no, they didn't strike first, as they were heavily outnumbered and peacefully demonstrating.

Well I didn't want to have to type that all out, but regardless, this is based on the reports I've heard, and given the record that Heimbach and his cohorts have, I have no trouble beliving that.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:23:56 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:13:13 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 6/28/2016 2:11:04 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Well I didn't want to have to type that all out, but regardless, this is based on the reports I've heard, and given the record that Heimbach and his cohorts have, I have no trouble beliving that.

Yes, believing anything you would like is always a good idea, especially when you've yet to show me evidence for such.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:24:09 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:11:51 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

In fact, here's a quote directly from them "We reject racial supremacism, and believe all the world's peoples should embrace and celebrate their sacred heritage and identities."

So no, they aren't simply racists. Wanting to be within your own people doesn't mean you find one to be superior.

You need to do somemore research on them. Or you can just watch this founding video for his Traditionalist Youth Network (the group he started before the TWP)

I have been following him for a couple years now, and I am not shocked by this at all.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:25:21 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:24:09 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

You need to do somemore research on them. Or you can just watch this founding video for his Traditionalist Youth Network (the group he started before the TWP)

I have been following him for a couple years now, and I am not shocked by this at all.

Believing in traditionalism and white communities isn't racism. It may be prejudiced, but it is not racism. Regardless, that doesn't invalidate arguments.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:29:22 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:25:21 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Believing in traditionalism and white communities isn't racism. It may be prejudiced, but it is not racism. Regardless, that doesn't invalidate arguments.

Did you watch the whole video?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:31:20 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:29:22 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

I don't have time to watch it currently.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:32:56 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:31:20 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Watch it later then, I don't have time to watch the whole thing again right now either. I've seen it 3 times before.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:36:55 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:32:56 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Watch it later then, I don't have time to watch the whole thing again right now either. I've seen it 3 times before.

Finished it. Nothing racist about it.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:46:31 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:36:55 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Really? Not even the blatant anti-semitism?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:47:16 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:46:31 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

How is anti-semitism racism? It's just anti-semitism, which isn't unfounded considering Jewish people are so over-represented among elitists.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 3:08:13 AM
At 6/28/2016 2:47:16 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

How is anti-semitism racism? It's just anti-semitism, which isn't unfounded considering Jewish people are so over-represented among elitists.

WTF
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 3:13:58 AM
At 6/28/2016 3:08:13 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

WTF

Did I trigger you?

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 3:17:37 AM
At 6/28/2016 3:13:58 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

WTF

Did I trigger you?

Don't know what the means
WTF was just the only conceivable response to what you posted before. There are just no other words to use in response to that.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 3:19:28 AM

WTF

Did I trigger you?

Sticks and stones may break your bones but words hurt and require a federal investigation.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 3:20:44 AM
At 6/28/2016 3:19:28 AM, SamStevens wrote:

WTF

Did I trigger you?

Sticks and stones may break your bones but words hurt and require a federal investigation.

I'm sigging this.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 3:23:00 AM
At 6/28/2016 3:17:37 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

WTF

Did I trigger you?

WTF was just the only conceivable response to what you posted before. There are just no other words to use in response to that.

Yes, I'm sure the only response to an argument is to be in shock and awe.

I'm more than sure, having been part of ddo and being young, that "trigger" is a word you understand, and if you don't in this day and age, then you should learn it quickly.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 3:26:32 AM
At 6/28/2016 3:23:00 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 6/28/2016 3:17:37 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

WTF

Did I trigger you?

Yes, I'm sure the only response to an argument is to be in shock and awe.

I'm more than sure, having been part of ddo and being young, that "trigger" is a word you understand, and if you don't in this day and age, then you should learn it quickly.

I'm assuming it means something that sets you off like a bomb trigger, only metaphorically.