Jump to topic:

What is the future of millennials

ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 7:02:27 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Now that millennials out number the baby boomers, how do they (millennials) perceive their world?
What do they want?
What do they have to contribute?
Anything goes.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 7:14:00 PM
At 6/28/2016 7:02:27 PM, ironslippers wrote:
Now that millennials out number the baby boomers, how do they (millennials) perceive their world?

It's their's.
What do they want?

Your welfare.

Nothing.
Anything goes.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 7:51:56 PM

They see it as something out to get them and they must cry victim when they don't get their way.

What do they want?

Free stuff and safe spaces

Nothing but their tears

Anything goes.

Yep, even a mass extermination of 70% of them.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 7:58:13 PM
What do they want?
Anything goes.

I want to help humanity progress further, while trying to prevent war and keep the peace for as long as I can!
NinaZarechnaya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 8:10:52 PM
What do they want?
Anything goes.

Ehhh, we're a pretty diverse generation in terms of desires, perceptions and future (or present) contributions, as is any generation, and treating us as a monolith is inaccurate and not really useful. I know personally that what I strive for most is to become an authoritative voice in a certain field, and to learn a crap-tonne of stuff in general - mostly languages, of which I have a huge to-do list. I'm also quite scientifically inclined, so that's where I could see myself contributing. As for perceptions, you'll have to be a tad more specific.
lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 8:14:56 PM
At 6/28/2016 8:10:52 PM, NinaZarechnaya wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

Ehhh, we're a pretty diverse generation in terms of desires, perceptions and future (or present) contributions, as is any generation, and treating us as a monolith is inaccurate and not really useful. I know personally that what I strive for most is to become an authoritative voice in a certain field, and to learn a crap-tonne of stuff in general - mostly languages, of which I have a huge to-do list. I'm also quite scientifically inclined, so that's where I could see myself contributing. As for perceptions, you'll have to be a tad more specific.

I just wanna help humanity not wipe itself out... which it seems to be heading towards at the moment. Religion is gaining ground again, nukes are being shown off, wars are starting, England left the EU... Donald Trump has a good amount of votes (or bad in our case). Things are going downhill fast... I wanna try and turn this around. I dunno what this is gonna need, but I think I can start by posting my opinions on a site I found a few weeks ago.
NinaZarechnaya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 8:18:39 PM
At 6/28/2016 8:14:56 PM, lovesnivy wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

I just wanna help humanity not wipe itself out... which it seems to be heading towards at the moment. Religion is gaining ground again, nukes are being shown off, wars are starting, England left the EU... Donald Trump has a good amount of votes (or bad in our case). Things are going downhill fast... I wanna try and turn this around. I dunno what this is gonna need, but I think I can start by posting my opinions on a site I found a few weeks ago.

I'd like to say that I disagree, buuut...I don't really. I mean, I probably have different theories from you about what exactly is causing this to happen to humanity and how to fix it, but yeah, suffice to say things are not looking up and haven't been for a while. I think it all started in the '80s, really, when Thatcher and Reagan came to power and class struggle started dying down.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 8:28:52 PM
At 6/28/2016 7:58:13 PM, lovesnivy wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

I want to help humanity progress further, while trying to prevent war and keep the peace for as long as I can!

And how exactly do you accomplish that?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 8:31:52 PM
What do they want?
Anything goes.

Funny how you think that Donald Trump doing well in the election, or Britain leaving the EU to regain its sovereignty and manage itself is somehow a bad thing. Religion is dying out in the West, which is exactly WHY we're failing. Nukes aren't being shown off by anyone other than the DPRK, and they will be deleted immediately if they dare to use a nuclear missile against another nation, especially one of our allies.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 8:34:29 PM
What do they want?
Anything goes.

Do you by any chance happen to be from Georgia?

NinaZarechnaya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 8:37:08 PM
At 6/28/2016 8:34:29 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

No, why?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 8:38:46 PM
At 6/28/2016 8:37:08 PM, NinaZarechnaya wrote:
At 6/28/2016 8:34:29 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

No, why?

Just wondering. I recognize that last name.

lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 7:44:16 PM
At 6/28/2016 8:31:52 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

Funny how you think that Donald Trump doing well in the election,
He's doing better than we'd all like
or Britain leaving the EU to regain its sovereignty and manage itself is somehow a bad thing.
Believe me, it is. There are so many benefits to staying! We get a lot of our worker's laws from the EU, and we used to work as a team with the rest of the countries in it! But now they're gonna be harder to work with... it's not exactly a good idea
Religion is dying out in the West, which is exactly WHY we're failing.
If anything, it would better your country. Unluckily, there are still very religious people there
Nukes aren't being shown off by anyone other than the DPRK, and they will be deleted immediately if they dare to use a nuclear missile against another nation, especially one of our allies.
Fair enough... I didn't do much research for this. That was pretty stupid of me...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 9:05:11 PM
At 6/29/2016 7:44:16 PM, lovesnivy wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

He's doing quite well and I'm happy that he is.

or Britain leaving the EU to regain its sovereignty and manage itself is somehow a bad thing.
Believe me, it is. There are so many benefits to staying! We get a lot of our worker's laws from the EU, and we used to work as a team with the rest of the countries in it! But now they're gonna be harder to work with... it's not exactly a good idea

"Believe me" is not a good argument when you have absolutely no credibility. Worker's rights are essentially worthless protections that dissuade businesses from investing, and the EU regulations are absolute idiotic. Britain can very easily work with European nations without having to be forced into their worthless and failing economic circle and being kept out of a market of 2.2 billion customers that it cannot trade with currently as a result of EU trade policies.

If anything, it would better your country. Unluckily, there are still very religious people there

The culture of nations has been shifting to be more and more degenerate the less play that Christianity has on our society.

Nukes aren't being shown off by anyone other than the DPRK, and they will be deleted immediately if they dare to use a nuclear missile against another nation, especially one of our allies.
Fair enough... I didn't do much research for this. That was pretty stupid of me...

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 9:28:29 PM

Funny how you think that Donald Trump doing well in the election, or Britain leaving the EU to regain its sovereignty and manage itself is somehow a bad thing. Religion is dying out in the West, which is exactly WHY we're failing. Nukes aren't being shown off by anyone other than the DPRK, and they will be deleted immediately if they dare to use a nuclear missile against another nation, especially one of our allies.

Religion destroys worlds.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 9:34:13 PM
At 6/29/2016 9:28:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Islam sure does

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 9:37:27 PM
At 6/29/2016 9:34:13 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 6/29/2016 9:28:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Islam sure does

We don't need to look for ghosts to enjoy the people right next to you.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 10:50:18 PM
What do they want?
Anything goes.

Probably going to be the similar as any other generation. Historically speaking, previously generations always do the whole "Our generation is better, yours is flawed".
Meh!
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 11:02:39 PM
At 6/29/2016 9:05:11 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

"Believe me" is not a good argument when you have absolutely no credibility. Worker's rights are essentially worthless protections that dissuade businesses from investing, and the EU regulations are absolute idiotic. Britain can very easily work with European nations without having to be forced into their worthless and failing economic circle and being kept out of a market of 2.2 billion customers that it cannot trade with currently as a result of EU trade policies.

The culture of nations has been shifting to be more and more degenerate the less play that Christianity has on our society.

Despite what some believe we never where set up to be a Christian nation.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 11:19:17 PM
At 6/29/2016 11:02:39 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 6/29/2016 9:05:11 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

Despite what some believe we never where set up to be a Christian nation.

I'm not only talking about the U.S. bud, and we were all influenced by Christian values, whether you like it or not.

Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 12:14:39 AM
Always awful.
What do they want?
Free stuff and what ever their professors indoctrinated.
Nothing, literally nothing, they are useless entitled idiots.
Anything goes.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 12:12:37 PM
At 6/29/2016 10:50:18 PM, Axonly wrote:
What do they want?
Anything goes.

Probably going to be the similar as any other generation. Historically speaking, previously generations always do the whole "Our generation is better, yours is flawed".

I tend to agree, Ax. The next generation are always "spawn of the devil". but what does that make the current generation?
bhakun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 3:56:40 AM
Many millenials are wallowing in student debt and a poor job market, so generally they have negative views of the current system.
What do they want?
The future that was promised to them.
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr