Jump to topic:

How Poverty Affects Crime

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 5:47:57 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I have figured out how poverty and crime are heavily linked together and I think I may be a genius!

Not all homeless people do this but I'm sure many homeless people around the world commit serious crimes such as murder or rape on purpose, so that they can have a decent place to stay, that place being jail.

Jail may not be the perfect shelter but it still has food (I wouldn't recommend prison food because it looks like disgusting crap) and water, a place to urinate and defecate (the toilet is in the prison cell), decent sanitation, and a place to sleep on.

Am I right on this or not?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 3:55:17 PM
Yes, poor people have a much higher tendency to commit crime than rich people do.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 7:20:07 PM
At 6/29/2016 5:47:57 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
I have figured out how poverty and crime are heavily linked together and I think I may be a genius!

Not all homeless people do this but I'm sure many homeless people around the world commit serious crimes such as murder or rape on purpose, so that they can have a decent place to stay, that place being jail.

Jail may not be the perfect shelter but it still has food (I wouldn't recommend prison food because it looks like disgusting crap) and water, a place to urinate and defecate (the toilet is in the prison cell), decent sanitation, and a place to sleep on.

There are many ways for the homeless to obtain food and shelter. There are numerous soup kitchens and homeless shelters. It is far superior to go this rout rather than jail. Loss of freedom of movement and opening yourself up to be violated by inmates is not the preferred way to go, no matter how desperate.

Although, there is a small amount of purposeful recidivism for some due to the inability to get a job or place to stay once out of prison. Adjustment back into society after a long term in jail is not well handled by some.

In Japan there's a serious issue with the elderly committing crimes, petty theft and assaults to get into prison for the very reason of getting a roof over their heads. Their pensions do not cover the very high costs of housing and food. Japan does not tolerate the homeless or pan handlers in public places. Social safety nets such as charitable organizations having soup kitchens or shelters are almost non-existent.
DiogenestheDog
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 7:32:05 PM

Sorta. There is a poverty element but there are also variance not explained by poverty that follow racial lines although the liberals scream and cry otherwise.

For Example:
First the US: Africans have 7 times the violent crime and rape rate in the US as whites per INDIVIDUAL; they commit between 32%-52% of all violent, rape, and robbery crimes despite only comprising 13% of the population. Stats from the F.B.I. crime stats Table 43; cannot post url link. This cannot be explained by mere poverty.

Globally Africans also show the same trend against any nation you could compare them to and you cannot blame it on poverty or colonial legacy.

For example Burma is both poorer and has as bad a history of colonial oppression as any African country; Burma's per Capita income is $1,292 while the Ivory Coast and Kenya's is 1,315 and 1,388 respectively.

Neither of these African countries is thought of as particularly bad or unsafe compared to other parts of Africa and while Burma is considered one of the worst in Asia in terms of Crime. And YET the two African Nations both have anywhere between 3-5 times as many violent crimes, rapes, and murders as Myanmar. Stats from NationMaster.

This same trend holds true no matter who you compare african countries too; poverty doesn't determine who has more crime; the presence of Africans people is the biggest guarantee to higher crime rates that there exists.

It works the other way too; east asian societies in Korea and japan have the lowest violent crime rates.

This is not PC but it is reality. And it really just kinda jives with the trend of Africa's low civilizational/historical accomplishments.

Very interested in how a liberal will still blame poverty or anything else that what reality is pretty clearly. What is funny is i have 2 best friends that are black but that doesn't change the wider reality at all does it?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 9:05:09 AM

Nope. Homeless people do not commit crimes to get free housing. It is a good story and that is why you see that scenario fictionalized so much. I think Red Skelton has a famous skit on it.

There are links between poverty and crime, but nothing like that. Usually homelss people can find warmth, they are arrested more often because it is practically illegal to be homeless in this United States at least. Hell try it for a week. Choose a warm month, and have fun.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 6:18:06 PM
At 6/30/2016 9:05:09 AM, Wylted wrote:

Nope. Homeless people do not commit crimes to get free housing. It is a good story and that is why you see that scenario fictionalized so much. I think Red Skelton has a famous skit on it.

There are links between poverty and crime, but nothing like that. Usually homelss people can find warmth, they are arrested more often because it is practically illegal to be homeless in this United States at least. Hell try it for a week. Choose a warm month, and have fun.

How is it illegal to be homeless in the US when homeless people have no shelter and barely anything to eat or drink?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:48:38 PM
How is it illegal to be homeless in the US when homeless people have no shelter and barely anything to eat or drink?

You can be arrested for sleeping in public places, loitering, not having an ID which requires a proof of address can have you held in jail until your identity is figured out. PLenty of things.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:07:35 AM

My nephew went homeless for a few weeks. He wanted to backpack around the country. He ended up hitchhiking to southern california, then asked for a bus ride home. I'm glad he got that nonsense out of his system.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:56:28 AM
My nephew went homeless for a few weeks. He wanted to backpack around the country. He ended up hitchhiking to southern california, then asked for a bus ride home. I'm glad he got that nonsense out of his system.

Unless he has a wife and kid at home or something, you should probably support his adventerous ways. If his dream is to backpack across the country, there is nothing wrong with it
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 4:00:48 AM
At 7/1/2016 3:56:28 AM, Wylted wrote:

Unless he has a wife and kid at home or something, you should probably support his adventerous ways. If his dream is to backpack across the country, there is nothing wrong with it
Yes i know i just worry. He is also my best friend. He has ehlers danlos desease and wants to travel the world before it becomes imposible.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 4:08:52 AM
At 7/1/2016 4:00:48 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:56:28 AM, Wylted wrote:

Yes i know i just worry. He is also my best friend. He has ehlers danlos desease and wants to travel the world before it becomes imposible.

No wonder. Going through the bucket list. I can't blame him
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 4:19:32 AM
At 6/30/2016 6:18:06 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

Loitering and disrupting public places. There's some laws that are in place so a random homeless person with a shopping cart full of crap doesn't just roll up and disrupt the whole scene.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 5:36:27 PM
At 7/1/2016 4:19:32 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Loitering and disrupting public places. There's some laws that are in place so a random homeless person with a shopping cart full of crap doesn't just roll up and disrupt the whole scene.

How would a homeless person even be able to buy a shopping cart full of crap if homeless people barely have any money to spend on things?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 5:45:15 PM
At 6/29/2016 7:20:07 PM, Peepette wrote:

There are many ways for the homeless to obtain food and shelter. There are numerous soup kitchens and homeless shelters. It is far superior to go this rout rather than jail. Loss of freedom of movement and opening yourself up to be violated by inmates is not the preferred way to go, no matter how desperate.
Sometimes, though, people go to other places to commit crime where the jails are nicer than homelessness at home. There was this guy from the mainland who came here to deface the flag...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 7:46:54 PM
At 7/1/2016 5:36:27 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

How would a homeless person even be able to buy a shopping cart full of crap if homeless people barely have any money to spend on things?

Steal

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 7:51:12 PM
At 7/1/2016 7:46:54 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/1/2016 5:36:27 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

Steal

Oh! That makes sense!
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 11:51:15 PM
At 7/1/2016 5:45:15 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Sometimes, though, people go to other places to commit crime where the jails are nicer than homelessness at home. There was this guy from the mainland who came here to deface the flag...

There was this guy? Cite?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 4:16:10 AM
At 7/1/2016 11:51:15 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 7/1/2016 5:45:15 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

There was this guy? Cite?

Sorry, it was years ago and I can't find the articles on it any more. They would be in Chinese anyway, which I'm not sure if you speak.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Janerover
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 9:35:53 PM
You only have to look at the origins of Australia to agree with the topic title. Many criminals sent to Australia were guilty of crimes such as stealing food. IMO, poverty is linked to petty crime.

But poverty doesn't effect all crime. e.g. white collar crimes. We recently had a case of a stockbroker who stole $1.4 million dollars. Was he poor? No. He stole out of greed.

Plus there are crimes of passion and circumstance. eg. murdering a spouse who is trying to divorce you.