Jump to topic:

Is The US Shooting Itself In The Foot?

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 11:40:44 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
And here we go yet again. Whether its racial, radical or disaffected youth, the commonality is guns. No other country on earth has such an obsession with the "right" to possess firearms.
How are we ever going to end this culture of conflict resolution with the use of a killing machine?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 12:44:26 PM
At 7/8/2016 11:40:44 AM, Willows wrote:
And here we go yet again. Whether its racial, radical or disaffected youth, the commonality is guns. No other country on earth has such an obsession with the "right" to possess firearms.
How are we ever going to end this culture of conflict resolution with the use of a killing machine?

This is not about guns.
Tsar of DDO
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 8:53:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you've never heard of Switzerland.

The US' gun violence rates are a demographic problem.

Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 9:14:56 PM
The race issue in the US is a demographic problem. The fact that conflicts of all sorts so often end up in firearms being used with fatal consequences is a gun problem. School and workplace shootings are not driven by demographics.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 9:18:53 PM
At 7/8/2016 9:14:56 PM, keithprosser wrote:
The race issue in the US is a demographic problem. The fact that conflicts of all sorts so often end up in firearms being used with fatal consequences is a gun problem. School and workplace shootings are not driven by demographics.

The amount of school kids killed compared to the amount of Blacks killed is a microscopic difference.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 9:35:10 PM
At 7/8/2016 9:24:00 PM, keithprosser wrote:
It's not microscopic to their parents.

Thanks for proving that your analogy does not apply to a Nation.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 10:16:03 PM
I wasn't aware I used an analogy, but never mind.

There are two issues that can be separated. One issue is the social problems that exist in the US, especially those related to race. Issue the other is the availabilty of guns. I don't suppose that reducing number of guns in circulation would fix the social problems of the US in the slightest, but it would result in fewer people getting shot.

Cities in the UK also have areas with large non-indigenous populations. We have drugs addicts, gangs, crime poverty and social problems - but we don't have easy access to guns. In 2011 there were 147 gun deaths in the UK. In the US there were over 33,000.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 4:39:13 AM
I have no illusion that you will see things my way no matter how hard I try. However, I hope that someone else who reads this thread will see the difference between 146 and 33,000 and draw their own conclusion about gun control.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 6:09:42 AM
At 7/8/2016 11:46:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Social disorder is not measured in bodycounts, or gun availability. Try harder.

He's never going to get it.
Tsar of DDO
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 9:06:20 AM
At 7/9/2016 4:39:13 AM, keithprosser wrote:
I have no illusion that you will see things my way no matter how hard I try. However, I hope that someone else who reads this thread will see the difference between 146 and 33,000 and draw their own conclusion about gun control.

Exactly. I live in Australia, a multi-cultural country with many historical similarities with the US such as the wild west days when defending oneself with firearms was very much the way of life. A defining moment in our history came 10 years ago when 36 people were murdered by a crazed youth with an automatic weapon. The government took decisive action by banning such weapons. Since then the number of such shootings in Australia have amounted to zero.
I realise that the issues are complex in regards to crazed gun mass murders in the US but my view is that the gun laws must be changed to stem what seems to be a growing trend. My fear however is that a very vocal and powerful gun lobby is doing their best and succeeding at preventing this from happening.
bhakun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 7:38:44 PM
At 7/8/2016 8:53:47 PM, someloser wrote:
I'm pretty sure you've never heard of Switzerland.

Basically what this guy is saying is that Switzerland is better because it has more white people.
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr