Jump to topic:

Should mental hospitals be outlawed

Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:09:28 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
For me definitely, the very nature of the business is just to take advantage of patients. I definitely would have no problem being a drug dealer just to drug up every scumbag that would support this, and just freaking fill the drugs with the same stuff used in mental hospitals.
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:10:16 AM
And I'm never going to seek employment in one of the hospitals, so I will say this -- if anyone throws me in one and the doctors to drug me, I'll break their f&cking arms and crush their skulls
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:03:24 AM
At 7/10/2016 2:09:28 AM, Adam2isback wrote:
For me definitely, the very nature of the business is just to take advantage of patients. I definitely would have no problem being a drug dealer just to drug up every scumbag that would support this, and just freaking fill the drugs with the same stuff used in mental hospitals.

I wonder if you know what a mental hospital is
Meh!
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:12:31 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:03:24 AM, Axonly wrote:

I know what it is. It's a physciatric place where people who are deemed "crazy" go to.
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:13:41 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:03:24 AM, Axonly wrote:

Are injecting a needle on a patients is a scare tactic to keep order
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:36:06 AM

Given your animosity towards mental hospitals, were you ever committed to one without your consent?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:37:03 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:36:06 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Given your animosity towards mental hospitals, were you ever committed to one without your consent?

Not one, but my uncle Angelo was and I know they treated him like garbage, though no one talks about it that much. And I've been threatened with being institutitonalized.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:42:55 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:37:03 AM, Adam2isback wrote:

Not one, but my uncle Angelo was and I know they treated him like garbage, though no one talks about it that much. And I've been threatened with being institutitonalized.

Ah. Okay. Well, you have to look at the bigger picture. Some people are unable to function without a caregiver due to a mental illness, so mental hospitals are efficient ways of taking care of a large number of such people at one time. Also, some people have mental illnesses which make them a danger to society, and you can't imprison someone who hasn't yet committed a crime so institutionalising them is the best option for society as a whole.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:44:55 AM
Despite what most people may think rules, regulations, and protocols are in place for a reason. Mental hospitals were not established to make mentally ill people miserable, though they may serve that purpose.

The DDO Blog:

Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:45:22 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:42:55 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Ah. Okay. Well, you have to look at the bigger picture. Some people are unable to function without a caregiver due to a mental illness, so mental hospitals are efficient ways of taking care of a large number of such people at one time. Also, some people have mental illnesses which make them a danger to society, and you can't imprison someone who hasn't yet committed a crime so institutionalising them is the best option for society as a whole.

The problem here is the mental hospital doctors most of which only are there to take advantage of the patients if they can.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:46:36 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:45:22 AM, Adam2isback wrote:

The problem here is the mental hospital doctors most of which only are there to take advantage of the patients if they can.

So basically there's too many selfish, exploitive a-holes among their ranks?

The DDO Blog:

Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:47:45 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:46:36 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Let's be real, the drugging part is only there to "keep order." And most who are drugged up end up more messed up than they are when they come in.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:50:12 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:47:45 AM, Adam2isback wrote:

Let's be real, the drugging part is only there to "keep order." And most who are drugged up end up more messed up than they are when they come in.

Okay, so let's imagine that you're a doctor there. A patient suddenly goes out of control and turns violent. If not subdued immediately, he poses a threat to either a doctor, a fellow patient, or a visitor. Or, he might escape from the facility. How would you deal with him?

The DDO Blog:

Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:51:49 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:50:12 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Okay, so let's imagine that you're a doctor there. A patient suddenly goes out of control and turns violent. If not subdued immediately, he poses a threat to either a doctor, a fellow patient, or a visitor. Or, he might escape from the facility. How would you deal with him?

Restrain him or her, with some manpower. I'm not gonna drug them.
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:52:22 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:51:49 AM, Adam2isback wrote:

I'm not gonna beat them up, but hold them back with some force.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:54:14 AM

Are you informed as to doctoral protocols on handling such situations? How do you know that their first resort is drugs?

The DDO Blog:

Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:55:47 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:54:14 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Are you informed as to doctoral protocols on handling such situations? How do you know that their first resort is drugs?

It's used too much to be honest. For me I'll hold them down. Or get a couple of my partners to grab the person in question and lock them up in confinement until they cool down
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:56:34 AM

I refuse to drug someone up for any reason. The cops don't do that now do they. Only difference is no violent force.
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:58:11 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:44:55 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Despite what most people may think rules, regulations, and protocols are in place for a reason. Mental hospitals were not established to make mentally ill people miserable, though they may serve that purpose.

Another problem is too many of the doctors talk down on their patients, like talk crap about how they're "crazy" in addition to being druggers.

Those are the types I have a problem with
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:58:56 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:55:47 AM, Adam2isback wrote:

It's used too much to be honest. For me I'll hold them down. Or get a couple of my partners to grab the person in question and lock them up in confinement until they cool down

But how do you know that they don't already try this before resorting to drugs? What if they aren't always able to restrain the patient?

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:00:52 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:58:11 AM, Adam2isback wrote:

Another problem is too many of the doctors talk down on their patients, like talk crap about how they're "crazy" in addition to being druggers.

In that case, you have good reason to work at a mental hospital. You'd be one of the decent doctors who wouldn't drug patients or talk down on them, am I right?

The DDO Blog:

Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:02:21 AM
At 7/10/2016 4:00:52 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

In that case, you have good reason to work at a mental hospital. You'd be one of the decent doctors who wouldn't drug patients or talk down on them, am I right?

Well there are good mental hospital doctors. I only know one, that's the problem -- one lady from Australia. Aside from that I never seen one.
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:03:46 AM
At 7/10/2016 4:02:21 AM, Adam2isback wrote:
At 7/10/2016 4:00:52 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Well there are good mental hospital doctors. I only know one, that's the problem -- one lady from Australia. Aside from that I never seen one.

Also those 2 go together, the drugging would not happen if there wasn't an arrogant attitude towards them. Much like how "Friends"-watching white racism is the reason for lynching.
THat's why I hate them both
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:05:29 AM

As crazy as this sounds put restraints on them.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:09:26 AM
At 7/10/2016 4:05:29 AM, Adam2isback wrote:

To put restraints on them would require pinning them down onto a medical bed for a good 20-30 seconds.

The DDO Blog:

Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:10:25 AM
At 7/10/2016 4:09:26 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

To put restraints on them would require pinning them down onto a medical bed for a good 20-30 seconds.

Pardon my "crazy" remark. It's offensive to those who have unorthodox thought patterns. I didn't mean that.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:11:50 AM
At 7/10/2016 4:10:25 AM, Adam2isback wrote:

Pardon my "crazy" remark. It's offensive to those who have unorthodox thought patterns. I didn't mean that.

Putting restraints on out-of-control patients is not unorthodox in the slightest.

The DDO Blog:

Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:13:39 AM
At 7/10/2016 4:11:50 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 7/10/2016 4:10:25 AM, Adam2isback wrote:

Putting restraints on out-of-control patients is not unorthodox in the slightest.

I know. I just hate the slur.
I actually thought up a rap group to be West Coast. I call them Anti-Mental Hospital Souljahs. Actually 1 or 2 famous people are following me on Twitter, hence the reason I dreamed this up. Together we can cripple these abusive mental hospitals to their knees.
Mr.Wonderful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 5:29:21 AM
Personally, I think mental hospitals are as bad or worse than most prisons... and yes I know people who have been both places. Mental hospitals use heavy tranquilizers and anti-psychotics such as Haldol to subdue patients and it is often their first choice of method to bring things under control. Side effects of these medications can cause brain and respiratory damage and they aren't giving small doses. In prison by contrast, a light beating and maybe the occasional taser but usually not drugs. Other than that there is very little difference between a state run prison and a state run asylum... save for the fact that prison guards carry guns which while present in an asylum aren't as prevalent... but the fact is those in the asylum can be treated like guinea pigs and endure re-socialization experiments while the day in the life of your average prisoner is nowhere near as eventful. For my two cents... based on the individuals I know I believe the mental institutions to be the harsher of two fates but it should also be considered that upon rehabilitation the mental patient's records are typically sealed whereas a felony can haunt you for a lifetime. I'm not making light of prison either as it is most certainly a dehumanizing experience but I personally would find it preferable to people screwing with my mind all day.
Adam2isback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:52:27 PM
At 7/10/2016 5:29:21 AM, Mr.Wonderful wrote:
Personally, I think mental hospitals are as bad or worse than most prisons... and yes I know people who have been both places. Mental hospitals use heavy tranquilizers and anti-psychotics such as Haldol to subdue patients and it is often their first choice of method to bring things under control. Side effects of these medications can cause brain and respiratory damage and they aren't giving small doses. In prison by contrast, a light beating and maybe the occasional taser but usually not drugs. Other than that there is very little difference between a state run prison and a state run asylum... save for the fact that prison guards carry guns which while present in an asylum aren't as prevalent... but the fact is those in the asylum can be treated like guinea pigs and endure re-socialization experiments while the day in the life of your average prisoner is nowhere near as eventful. For my two cents... based on the individuals I know I believe the mental institutions to be the harsher of two fates but it should also be considered that upon rehabilitation the mental patient's records are typically sealed whereas a felony can haunt you for a lifetime. I'm not making light of prison either as it is most certainly a dehumanizing experience but I personally would find it preferable to people screwing with my mind all day.

Same here bro