Jump to topic:

Dallas and Police Brutality

ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:44:25 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Let me preface this by saying that I do not condone violence against innocent people. I wish Philando Castile, Alton Sterling, and the Dallas cops were all alive today.

That being said, thank god for the second amendment and remember, always support our troops!
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:55:57 PM
At 7/10/2016 3:44:25 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
Let me preface this by saying that I do not condone violence against innocent people. I wish Philando Castile, Alton Sterling, and the Dallas cops were all alive today.

That being said, thank god for the second amendment and remember, always support our troops!

Firearms ought to be banned for civilian use
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 11:51:46 PM
At 7/10/2016 9:55:57 PM, Hayd wrote:

All firearms? I probably wouldn't go so far as that.
Axon85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 11:57:12 PM

What does the 2nd amendment & support for the troops have to with the police shootings and the Dallas tragedy?
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 12:14:56 AM
At 7/10/2016 11:51:46 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

Yup, all of them
Mr.Wonderful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 12:34:30 AM
At 7/11/2016 12:14:56 AM, Hayd wrote:

Yup, all of them

So then... we would end up like England where violent crime and shootings skyrocketed after guns were banned? Screw thatnoise... we have a second amendment to protect us from government tyranny for a reason.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 1:00:23 AM
At 7/11/2016 12:34:30 AM, Mr.Wonderful wrote:
At 7/11/2016 12:14:56 AM, Hayd wrote:

Yup, all of them

So then... we would end up like England where violent crime and shootings skyrocketed after guns were banned? Screw thatnoise... we have a second amendment to protect us from government tyranny for a reason.

Or how it decreased gun crime by 53%
http://nymag.com...

In regards to government tyranny, we already have an advanced system of checks and balances that ensure that the government does not become a tyranny, as well as the UN, seperation of powers, etc.

And even if the government became a tyranny, would the American people, with our rifles and handguns stand a chance against the missiles, nukes, tanks, airforce, navy, etc. of the US Army? No, it would just lead to more lives lost.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 1:15:28 AM
Certainly ban all hand guns. Hand guns can't be used for anything except killing people. In In fact anything except a genuine single shot hunting rifles can go and they must be kept in a case that prevents loading and firing except in designated hunting areas. No one needs a gun in the city.
An effectively complete ban on guns is easy to enforce - anyone with gun is breaking the law with no gray area.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 3:32:19 AM
At 7/10/2016 11:57:12 PM, Axon85 wrote:

What does the 2nd amendment & support for the troops have to with the police shootings and the Dallas tragedy?

The NRA is always going on about how the reason we need gun rights is so that good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns. In Dallas, we saw exactly how effective that was. The "good cops" were all armed and still got their butts handed to them.

Not sure why Dallas, a city full of gun enthusiasts, didn't have any vigilante heroes to defend the incompetent cops.

I've also heard many conservatives say that everyone should support our troops, because they are heroes. Micah Xavier Johnson was a member of the military, so according to their logic he is a hero and we should support him.
Axon85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 3:53:41 AM
At 7/11/2016 3:32:19 AM, ford_prefect wrote:

The NRA is always going on about how the reason we need gun rights is so that good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns. In Dallas, we saw exactly how effective that was. The "good cops" were all armed and still got their butts handed to them.

Not sure why Dallas, a city full of gun enthusiasts, didn't have any vigilante heroes to defend the incompetent cops.

I think fairly decent arguments can be made that arming "good guys" is not necessarily the best solution... but this isn't that argument. Both sides of the this debate can dig through the data and find individual cases that support their position.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 10:57:51 PM
At 7/11/2016 3:53:41 AM, Axon85 wrote:

I think fairly decent arguments can be made that arming "good guys" is not necessarily the best solution... but this isn't that argument. Both sides of the this debate can dig through the data and find individual cases that support their position.

Why isn't this that argument? Do you think the Dallas shooter was a bad guy? If so, why wasn't he stopped by a good guy with a gun? There were plenty of them around.
Axon85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 11:21:49 PM
At 7/11/2016 10:57:51 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

Why isn't this that argument? Do you think the Dallas shooter was a bad guy? If so, why wasn't he stopped by a good guy with a gun? There were plenty of them around.

It is not a good argument because it is based on a single case. Do you think a gun advocate will have any trouble digging up a different case in which a "good guy with a gun" did intervene to successfully thwart a crime? No, such cases also exist. So do you win? Does he win? It is a draw? Or should we all seek better evidence to support our positions?

No matter what stance a person takes on such complex issues, it will always be possible to find individual cases to support their views.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 2:23:15 PM

Why isn't this that argument?

1) BLM/police brutality activists generally are of a liberal persuasion. This trends in the direction of not owning or carrying firearms.

2) The shootings occurred within walking distance of a community college, so assuming the demographic of young, politically minded adults, they (more than likely) might have come from college to the rally, meaning by law they were disarmed.

3) The shooter assumed tactics that showed more forethought than street crime specifically by making use of optics, range, distance, and surprise. The subject also specifically sought out to set up in a relatively unpopulated area.

Do you think the Dallas shooter was a bad guy? If so, why wasn't he stopped by a good guy with a gun? There were plenty of them around.

Ultimately he was, and "plenty of them around" doesn't have a reasonable grounding. The shooter was killed in the confines of the community college, meaning assuming the good guys wanted to remain "good" they were not allowed to carry.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 1:32:18 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/11/2016 11:21:49 PM, Axon85 wrote:

It is not a good argument because it is based on a single case. Do you think a gun advocate will have any trouble digging up a different case in which a "good guy with a gun" did intervene to successfully thwart a crime? No, such cases also exist. So do you win? Does he win? It is a draw? Or should we all seek better evidence to support our positions?

No matter what stance a person takes on such complex issues, it will always be possible to find individual cases to support their views.

That's a somewhat valid point. Anecdotal evidence doesn't ever prove anything. But I will say that overall, the number of incidents where a private citizen stops a crime out in public is very small compared to the number of times when the cops end up stopping the criminal. I don't have time to go find the exact numbers so if you disbelieve me, that's fine.

But one possible suggestion would be that gun ownership be restricted to home defense and hunting only, and extremely harsh penalties should be instituted on those who carry a weapon, whether legal or stolen, outside their home within city limits.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 1:37:02 AM
At 7/12/2016 2:23:15 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

1) BLM/police brutality activists generally are of a liberal persuasion. This trends in the direction of not owning or carrying firearms.

If you are a gun rights enthusiast, then surely you believe that all people have the right to carry a firearm, right? Why do you think the NRA dragged its feet condemning the Philando Castile shooting, but issued statements of support for the Dallas cops almost immediately?

2) The shootings occurred within walking distance of a community college, so assuming the demographic of young, politically minded adults, they (more than likely) might have come from college to the rally, meaning by law they were disarmed.

The cops were armed though. None of those good guys was able to stop the bad guy with their guns.

3) The shooter assumed tactics that showed more forethought than street crime specifically by making use of optics, range, distance, and surprise. The subject also specifically sought out to set up in a relatively unpopulated area.

Yes, our military sure knows how to train excellent killers.

Do you think the Dallas shooter was a bad guy? If so, why wasn't he stopped by a good guy with a gun? There were plenty of them around.

Ultimately he was, and "plenty of them around" doesn't have a reasonable grounding. The shooter was killed in the confines of the community college, meaning assuming the good guys wanted to remain "good" they were not allowed to carry.

Do you think the cops were good guys? They all had guns. If trained police cannot bring down one bad guy with their guns, maybe gun rights are not enough. Maybe the 2nd Amendment should be extended to explosive drones as well.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 11:26:36 AM

If you are a gun rights enthusiast, then surely you believe that all people have the right to carry a firearm, right?

Yes, I do.

Why do you think the NRA dragged its feet condemning the Philando Castile shooting, but issued statements of support for the Dallas cops almost immediately?

I fail to see the relevance of my speculation as to what the NRA might or might not do.

The cops were armed though. None of those good guys was able to stop the bad guy with their guns.

Police are not as omnipresent as armed civilians, especially in locations where civilians are not legally allowed to carry.

Yes, our military sure knows how to train excellent killers.

Do you think the cops were good guys? They all had guns. If trained police cannot bring down one bad guy with their guns, maybe gun rights are not enough. Maybe the 2nd Amendment should be extended to explosive drones as well.

Currently, the ability for law enforcement to enforce the law contains a variety of materials. Apparently the bad guy in question, despite military training assumed the cops would continue to operate within an assumed playbook. Its almost like the bad guy expected the good guys to "play fair" and run into more gunfire. Tee hee.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 8:18:31 PM

Great narrative. I'm sure they would've had a much easier time fighting him off without guns

I've also heard many conservatives say that everyone should support our troops, because they are heroes. Micah Xavier Johnson was a member of the military, so according to their logic he is a hero and we should support him.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 11:49:49 PM
At 7/13/2016 8:18:31 PM, thett3 wrote:

Great narrative. I'm sure they would've had a much easier time fighting him off without guns
I'm just saying this clearly proves gun rights are not enough. We need drone rights, tank rights and possibly even "nucular" rights.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 11:50:49 PM
At 7/14/2016 11:49:49 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

I'm just saying this clearly proves gun rights are not enough. We need drone rights, tank rights and possibly even "nucular" rights.

I can tell you've really thought about this issue and have come to an extremely nuanced point of view

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 11:52:22 PM
At 7/14/2016 11:50:49 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 7/14/2016 11:49:49 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

I can tell you've really thought about this issue and have come to an extremely nuanced point of view
I can tell you're sad that moar gunz didn't solve the problem.