Jump to topic:

What's keeping us from world peace?

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 5:05:17 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Humans have lived on Earth for an EXTREMELY long time and yet, world peace still hasn't been achieved because many people just have to ruin life for those like me who want to live peacefully and without violence by committing crimes against humanity and harming others!

What exactly is keeping the world from achieving world peace? Why can't we just live in a utopia with no violence and discrimination, just peace and finally safety and protection from psychopaths, rapists, murderers, prejudiced people, and people who do nothing but spread hate and violence?
Axon85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 6:39:58 AM
At 7/11/2016 5:05:17 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Humans have lived on Earth for an EXTREMELY long time and yet, world peace still hasn't been achieved because many people just have to ruin life for those like me who want to live peacefully and without violence by committing crimes against humanity and harming others!

What exactly is keeping the world from achieving world peace? Why can't we just live in a utopia with no violence and discrimination, just peace and finally safety and protection from psychopaths, rapists, murderers, prejudiced people, and people who do nothing but spread hate and violence?

Well, I'm not sure if we can ever achieve a utopia (and even if we did, we would likely find things to complain about), but there is evidence to suggest that, despite appearances and conventional wisdom, violence is actually decreasing. Steven Pinker defends this view in his book " The Better Angels of our Nature: Why Violence has Declined". Here is a TedTalk espousing some of the main findings, you my find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com...
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 1:48:37 PM

Thinking that there are bad people doesn't help.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:25:13 PM

Murder happens just because, but conventional wars happen due to the existence of numerous nation states. However, I do not see a one-world government as being a good solution.
In fact, I have already proposed a solution.
There are collective defense organisations such as NATO, CSTO/ODKB, and arguably the SCO. But there is no single collective defense organisation for all nations of the world. As such, I propose a global collective defense organisation.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 9:59:06 PM
At 7/11/2016 4:25:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Murder happens just because, but conventional wars happen due to the existence of numerous nation states. However, I do not see a one-world government as being a good solution.
There are collective defense organisations such as NATO, CSTO/ODKB, and arguably the SCO. But there is no single collective defense organisation for all nations of the world. As such, I propose a global collective defense organisation.

Is a global collective defense organization like an organization that consists of countries from ALL over the world and not just one particular continent that aims to collect multiple self-defense tactics in order to better allow people (both men and women) to use self-defense when necessary and in a violent situation such as almost being killed or being sexually harassed without consent/sexually assaulted?
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 10:03:25 PM
At 7/11/2016 1:48:37 PM, difference wrote:

But whether it helps or not, there are so many bad people in this world who harm others in mental and physical ways.

I don't mean to sound rude but as hopeful as optimism is, optimism doesn't always solve the problem. Speaking up against the problem, making other people aware of the problem, and fighting against the problem solves the problem.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 10:12:54 PM

Man's existence.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 10:13:36 PM
At 7/11/2016 1:51:50 PM, Semiya wrote:
Tribalism.

It took me a while to understand why you said this and now, I understand.

Tribes rely more on loyalty, obedience, responsibility, and maturity as tribes tend to be very small and usually live outdoors, like in a forest or in a savanna. This allows tribes to be more peaceful with each other as they must rely on each other in order to hunt for food and survive in the wild.

However, I don't think this would fly well with so many people because of the fact that a lot of human beings associate people in tribes with wild, uneducated animals and also, many human beings are used to technology and civility, which aren't really found in tribes.

Although, I think using more and more of the concept of tribalism in society would make people less prude and less disgusted about the sex organs or the human body in general as many tribes don't really cover that much of their body and also sometimes expose their genitalia in public, not that I'm saying people should just expose their nude bodies anywhere they go. What I'm saying is that the internet should be less strict about nudity and stop censoring it so much.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 10:14:59 PM
At 7/11/2016 10:12:54 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Man's existence.

Ha! Nice.

By man, do you mean mankind or just the male gender?
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 10:56:51 PM
Tribalism.
But mostly the people who ignore it.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 11:39:12 PM

Muslims, mostly. And bitter poor people who rob and kill.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 11:48:10 PM
At 7/11/2016 11:39:12 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:

Not all Muslims are terrorists and poor people who rob and kill do go to jail just so you know!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 11:59:44 PM
At 7/11/2016 9:59:06 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/11/2016 4:25:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Is a global collective defense organization like an organization that consists of countries from ALL over the world and not just one particular continent that aims to collect multiple self-defense tactics in order to better allow people (both men and women) to use self-defense when necessary and in a violent situation such as almost being killed or being sexually harassed without consent/sexually assaulted?

I'm referring to collective defense in the context of international politics. If one country anywhere in the world gets attacked by another country, then every country will come to that one's defense.
An example of this was in 1990, whenever Iraq invaded Kuwait. The entire world came together to defend Kuwait, though there was and is no formal organisation that required anybody to defend Kuwait.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 12:30:54 AM
At 7/11/2016 10:03:25 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/11/2016 1:48:37 PM, difference wrote:

But whether it helps or not, there are so many bad people in this world who harm others in mental and physical ways.

"Good" people do harm too.

I don't mean to sound rude but as hopeful as optimism is, optimism doesn't always solve the problem. Speaking up against the problem, making other people aware of the problem, and fighting against the problem solves the problem.

When I said "thinking there are bad people doesn't help", I meant purely bad, as if evil was their defining trait.

Dysfunction may seem apparent but it doesn't mean there's a problem. Or, if it does, it's not apparent to everyone.

Can you tell me any problems you think have been fixed? I don't disagree with speaking up about a problem, making people aware of a problem, and fighting against a problem. I'm just wondering.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 12:42:09 AM

"The evil that is in the world always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence, if they lack understanding"
- The Plague, Albert Camus -

Basically, people don't like to understand the world around them, and that's understandable, because the world is a cruel and alien place when it's stripped of the mysticism with which the human mind adorns it. A human society functions best when it's wrapped in gentle illusions, and when it functions based on an assumption of human fallibility and the acceptance of our own frailty. Sure, it's not a perfect situation, but as the old Italian proverb goes, the perfect is the enemy of the good. Because the best system is imperfect, there is always be some imperfection. Ironically, the drive for perfection is what exacerbates the flaws in our society, because utopian thinking necessitates the shutting of one's eyes against the realities of human behavior and history.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 1:50:05 AM
At 7/11/2016 10:56:51 PM, someloser wrote:
Tribalism.
But mostly the people who ignore it.

True. Look at the immigration problem. You can't just dump thousands and thousands of immigrants into an alien nation with no plan to help them assimilate and no resources or infrastructure to assist them.

You can't just ignore the problem if you want to solve it.
KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 7:31:54 AM
At 7/11/2016 11:48:10 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

Not all Muslims are terrorists and poor people who rob and kill do go to jail just so you know!

If there was no Middle East, no Muslims, we would be better off. All they do is kill.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:05:37 AM
For the most part it comes down to there being a limited amount of useful stuff in the world, and so if you want to secure a better future for the people you care about, you're going to have to engage in the eternal cycle of gathering more resources/ defending your own resources. This inevitably leads to conflict, since we don't all care about the same people, but for the most part we all want to acquire and secure the same stuff.

The simple solution here would be for everyone to start caring about everyone and no longer give preference to their own group of humans, but this is an incredibly stupid thing to do because any society this altruistic would get eaten alive by the groups exercising in-group preference.

So struggle it is.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 4:46:33 PM
At 7/12/2016 7:31:54 AM, KendoRe2 wrote:
At 7/11/2016 11:48:10 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

If there was no Middle East, no Muslims, we would be better off. All they do is kill.

You are so racist. I have met plenty of Muslims who are nice and do not harm others.

You can't just assume that because most terrorists are from the Middle East that all Muslims/Middle Easterners are terrorists! That's a very offensive stereotype!